• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

mStudios

colors

qzocURf.png

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t6d1l4yde8oye13/SSB4U-NewPortraits.zip

Damn, no ken colors. Even Dan has an alt. Sakura, pls T_T

Thud

Well as with mewtwo, I will wait and see how he plays.

But I'll probably end up getting him and the amiibo.

Things did really well whilst street fighter didn't exist. You can't argue that, it happened. What are you trying to prove here? All i'm saying is for a while there were people playing a bunch fighting games not caring about ryu. And maybe they don't care now.

Well, I think what people are trying to say is that even if SF may have not done as well as those games it's probably the most iconic fighter out there. Most people who are into games know who Ryu is and where he's from.

Monster Hunter may sell incredibly well but you can't really have a mascot from that franchise the same way Ryu is clearly the mascot for Street Fighter. As it's one of Capcom's most prolific franchises it makes sense that he and Mega Man would make it in.

I do realize that you're just trying to get people to realize not everyone cares about Ryu being in, but I know a few people who hardly play fighting games who like that Ryu's in. It's cause they respect who he is and the franchise he's from since they've heard so much about it, and praise toward it, despite maybe not playing it much themselves. Like, let's say Nintendo's most popular character ends up being in the next SF. I doubt many people would care as much. It'd be cool, but Street Fighter is a titan fighting game just like Smash. Ryu being in is like those two games colliding. It's thrilling and exciting.

Well... I know we already knew about Roy and Ryu but it hurts to see yet another Smash Bros leak. I hope tomorrow's direct has something we still don't know about.

Oddish1

Monster Hunter would have been better. I'm still bitter there was no SF4 for the Wii and the 3DS iteration came out pretty late with less content IIRC.

Street Fighter 2 was one of my first videogames, but Capcom support has been nothing but disappointing to me since the Gamecube days. Unless Capcom announce something interesting for Nintendo at E3, I still disagree with this choice.

SF4 for the 3ds came out pretty early in the 3ds' life when it really needed good, system-selling games. That, and Monster Hunter pretty much guaranteed the system's success in Japan, especially since early on the 3ds seemed to be doing pretty mediocre. I imagine Nintendo is pretty grateful to Capcom and this is a way of strengthening relationships for the future. But I don't think it will result in interesting games now.

Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

This isn't about what Capcom has done for Nintendo lately. This isn't about advertising Street Fighter V. This isn't about Nintendo getting something in return.

This is about honoring an iconic video game character from a classic series that pioneered a genre (the genre that Smash is part of).

We'll have to respectfully disagree. It's possible to do all the above while also making a business decision that makes sense.

Village

I think your efforts would be better served helping the other side understand history.

They almost never listen.

Lucario, rosalina, ryu ,whoever.

They gotta come to terms with it on their own.

I could get into it, it gets into psychological stuff, but just give em time. It will be fine.

Monocle

Meanwhile interesting characters like Wonder Red and Bayonetta get no representation. Gotta go for the safe generic choices!

they obviously bring back "lower" effort chars first, they know how Lucas, Roy, Mewtwo move and look in smash. There's tons of design references and a pretty clear moveset for Ryu for this type of game. New original chars take a while longer to develop and will probably come later this year or next year.
I know, but Roy? He should be with Pichu and never come back. Whether he is easy to put in doesn't matter, we have a clone replacing him. Why add him back? There is already a hat acted named Roy as well, and that took his chant. Why not just spend extra resources on something else?

fhqwhgads

But...where's Wolf?
It's the very last veteran I want back.
I'd say Wolf is the last logical character that the Smash team would bring back willingly. Ice Climbers won't happen because of Sakurai wanting both versions having the same characters. Young Link is redundant. No one wants Pichu. I doubt Squirtle or Ivysaur will come back due to the "Too many reps" case. Even if Wolf doesn't come back normally, he has a very good chance in the Smash Ballot.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
No Guile's Theme? What is even the point then? Having Ryu was the excuse to put Guile's Theme in smash. That was their one job!

Razmos

Meanwhile interesting characters like Wonder Red and Bayonetta get no representation. Gotta go for the safe generic choices!
I still find it ridiculous that clone characters being added as DLC are the same price as the original characters, despite them admitting themselves that clones are far easier to create.

Seriously, I love the inclusion of Ryu, it's clever, he looks fun to play as, and it's a cool crossover.

Roy on the other hand? fucking WHY. We have Fire Emblem characters out of the whazoo already, AND he's a clone, and he's boring as fuck anyway AND there is already a character called Roy in the game.
It just boggles my mind as to why anyone would want this, outside of nostalgia.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No joke: I'm actually considering playing the game seriously now and making him my main, assuming he translates to Smash well and isn't flat-out garbage. Was already considering to go competitive with Mario; might as well pick up the original shoto instead of the Nintendo derivative.

Ryu truly is my favorite Street Fighter character, for a few different reasons:

1) He's all substance, no style. I find his "blandness" to be a strength.

2) He always gets top-tier theme songs: 1 2 3

3) In traditional fighting games, he offers a complete experience all by himself and needs no one else to compliment him. I defer to Maj's excellent article on the Ryu vs. Ryu match-up to explain:

Proving this theory in the modern era: Umehara vs Valle in SF4. This would probably be on a list of top overall matches over the course of SF4's competitive life.

Of course, Ryu doesn't translate so well to every game. He's not a great Marvel vs. Capcom character because he tends not to embody the gameplay fundamentals of that series in the same manner as he does in Street Fighter, so who knows how he'll shape up in Smash. It's hard for me to not be enthusiastic about it, though. After all, Mario and Luigi aped his specials in the first Smash Bros. game to begin with.

Bonus: best combo video ever

Meanwhile, here's to hoping that Roy is differentiated enough from Marth and Lucina to not feel like a waste.

*gag*

Hype combo video, bro.

I'm hearing tell that the new Rhythm Heaven music might just be for the Miiverse stage.

God, I so fucking hope not. That would be the ultimate hype-killer for me. :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd say Wolf is the last logical character that the Smash team would bring back willingly. Ice Climbers won't happen because of Sakurai wanting both versions having the same characters. Young Link is redundant. No one wants Pichu. I doubt Squirtle or Ivysaur will come back due to the "Too many reps" case. Even if Wolf doesn't come back normally, he has a very good chance in the Smash Ballot.

I'd rather have Squirtle and Ivysaur then Roy. Apparently you cant have too many reps.

Wait no Ken alt color? Sakurai is jut bad at fan service.

Also more Mii outfits???? Seriously?!? Where are the character alts? I would like to actually like to use my content online please.

XaosWolf

No red gi at all? Ken am cry.

Was really hoping for a red gi and blonde hair option for Ryu.

Fucking DAN got more representation here. D=

NeonZ

Lucina's alts change her hair color though, while Roy's here don't. Marth does have a classic Roy color pallet in spite of not changing his hair though.

R.D.Blax

Don't know about the pink one, though they could just be colors and not references to any characters. Maybe I'm just thinking that since Shulk's alt costumes are all based off of Xenoblade's characters and I believe Lucina has a Tharja alt color as well. There are probably more, but those are the only ones I know.

The Pink one is Sophia maybe ?

Qurupeke

Imagine the meltdown if Ryu had a proper reveal at E3 like Snake and Mega Man. Maybe during the NWC, with the crowd.

Even before these leaks, such a reveal was ruined by the data leaks. A shame really. I think the meltdown would be even bigger as nobody would expect another 3rd party character, especially Ryu as another Capcom Rep.

Still, I'd say that Snake is pretty difficult to be topped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom