• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.
My whole point that there is precedent for people to just not care. Which explains a lot of people disinterest with ryu in general. I never even said their disinterest was correct. I never gave in opinion on the matter.

this applies to many things.
It just sounds like weak excuses for why he shouldn't be in. The larger precedent is Street Fighter's history with the NES and SNES, its insane influence on the fighting game genre, and the over 1 million sales of SSFIV on the 3DS.

Here's hoping Tekken fans get a slot too given Namco's aid in development with SSB4.

bon

No it isn't.

Street fighter for a good long while didn't exist for a lot of people, they do not have the respect for the character you do. It makes sense some younger folk don't particularly care about this characters. Epically those like me who grew up during a period where namco fighters, mortal kombat, and smash brothers ruled the day.

It wasn't a thing in their lives, and they kind of don't care now.

And new kids will grow up with the street fighters and they will care.

isn't really that complicated.

As far as your halo example is concerned, if halo gets so irrelevant it basically stops existing for over decade. I'm sure a bunch of kids wont know or care about chief too. Thats just life kids grow up with different things and don't care about things.

well yeah if you take any given character there will be some people somewhere in the world who don't care for them.

Another marth clone... def wont be getting that unless its free or they changed his moves which I doubt. As disappointed as I am about ryu at least hes a new character so ill get him, he might be fun.

I wonder if GameXplain will talk about these, or are they too close to Nintendo now?

EDIT:
No, I guess they talked about the Hyrule Warriors leak, so maybe they will.

We've already talked about it. ;)

How did this leak!?
Also, RHYTHM HEAVEN MUSIC!!!

This is the secret most exciting part about all of this. People finding Ryu, Roy, and Dream Land 64 sound data in the previous patch led to this... which means people finding Rhythm Heaven music in this new patch means holy shit oh my god a Rhythm Heaven character or at least stage is coming I'm so fucking hyped.

Why are people acting like Roy isn't a unique addition?

Does any other character have a flaming sword?

Ike

Mega Man too. :p Hell, the move is actually CALLED "Flame Sword!"

Village

well yeah if you take any given character there will be some people somewhere in the world who don't care for them.

Sure.

My whole point was that there is a time period that allow for a large section of to grow up without street fighter in their lives and other fighting games.

And with new street fighters, and tekken sales in a slump, the reverse will happen.

Thats it

FyreWulff

So once again smash will have a playable character promoting an upcoming playstation exclusive.

Remember the Nintendo Playstation?

The split up was just an angle.

E3 2016, Sony will be all
VNSL2Yc.gif

Foffy

Banned
Oh look, instead of adding somebody interesting to the roster they decided to go with the dullest fighting game protagonist of all time when his company already has a much more influential representative. Wonderful. At least roy's new design looks good.

It was only until you mentioned the name Roy I realized your shade was thrown at Ryu. It should have been thrown at Roy, for everything prior to that can easily apply to him. He's literally a nostalgia character for Smash, and not much else.

Golnei

Smash hype is so infectious I now look forward to trying out ROY once more.

If these characters drop the same time as Lucas then Ryu will be in time for matches with my Street Fighter buddy on Sunday (no Ken for him this time, he can hope for alt colour Ken-Ryu) which is perfect timing, I'm holding out hope that the our obligatory shoto war can transfer to Smash.

Village

It just sounds like weak excuses for why he shouldn't be in. The larger precedent is Street Fighter's history with the NES and SNES, its insane influence on the fighting game genre, and the over 1 million sales of SSFIV on the 3DS.

Here's hoping Tekken fans get a slot too given Namco's aid in development with SSB4.

I'M NOT SAYING HE SHOULDN'T BE IN. I know hype in this thread is high please read.

All i said was, " hey these people might not care about ryu, and there is a reason for that, don't be mad at them "

Thats it, calm ya buttts

Kouichi

No joke: I'm actually considering playing the game seriously now and making him my main, assuming he translates to Smash well and isn't flat-out garbage. Was already considering to go competitive with Mario; might as well pick up the original shoto instead of the Nintendo derivative.

Ryu truly is my favorite Street Fighter character, for a few different reasons:

1) He's all substance, no style. I find his "blandness" to be a strength.

2) He always gets top-tier theme songs: 1 2 3

3) In traditional fighting games, he offers a complete experience all by himself and needs no one else to compliment him. I defer to Maj's excellent article on the Ryu vs. Ryu match-up to explain:

Proving this theory in the modern era: Umehara vs Valle in SF4. This would probably be on a list of top overall matches over the course of SF4's competitive life.

Of course, Ryu doesn't translate so well to every game. He's not a great Marvel vs. Capcom character because he tends not to embody the gameplay fundamentals of that series in the same manner as he does in Street Fighter, so who knows how he'll shape up in Smash. It's hard for me to not be enthusiastic about it, though. After all, Mario and Luigi aped his specials in the first Smash Bros. game to begin with.

Bonus: best combo video ever

Wow. This perfectly sums up why a Street Fighter newbie like me loves Ryu and plans to main him in SFV as well as Smash now. That Valle vs Daigo match is the first time I found him so appealing and it only grew from there.

All the fire emblem chars in smash 4 have such fantastic artwork

Most definitely. What I'm really, really hoping for now is that Roy gets his moveset changed to the point where he doesn't feel like a Marth clone anymore. Like what happened to Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.

Wow. This perfectly sums up why a Street Fighter newbie like me loves Ryu and plans to main him in SFV as well as Smash now. That Valle vs Daigo match is the first time I found him so appealing and it only grew from there.

yeah Seth Killian had an article once where he talked about how the Hadouken changed fighting games forever, cause of zoning and the benefits of it being a projectile and etc etc.

Mechanically SF is the ultimate fighting game to me, and as Maj said Ryu is most definitely the most fleshed out SF character.

I'M NOT SAYING HE SHOULDN'T BE IN. I know hype in this thread is high please read.

All i said was, " hey these people might not care about ryu, and there is a reason for that, don't be mad at them "

Thats it, calm ya buttts
They don't have to care about Ryu. They have to understand why he's there.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Is this real life? People complaining about getting Ryu? Goddammit...the gamer in me died a bit.

Nah to be honest I'm really happy about Ryu I'll spend money to have him on Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom