• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

No Guile's theme

fehlg8W.png

I can't wait to have 8 versions of Ryu's theme in SSB5.

SuperSah

Banned
The thing I don't like is the 3DS is gonna get a boat load of new music tracks in this new update, yet only 2 can be used for the actual stage, making the others useless unless you visit the music player.

I wonder what they're gonna charge for all this, they surely cannot charge money for Roy since he's just a clone..

Not

Banned
The thing I don't like is the 3DS is gonna get a boat load of new music tracks in this new update, yet only 2 can be used for the actual stage, making the others useless unless you visit the music player.

I wonder what they're gonna charge for all this, they surely cannot charge money for Roy since he's just a clone..

They're chargin' you for Lucas

*hides*

BY2K

Membero Americo
They were leaked long ago though. This is just confirmation.

A confirmation I would have preferred told by Sakurai.

Anyway, judging from all the stuff that leaked, it sounds like they are ready. Release tomorrow after the Smash Direct at the same time as Lucas?

『Inaba Resident』;167615649 said:
I'm sure nobody was expecting both of them on Sunday.
Why?

A confirmation I would have preferred told by Sakurai.

Anyway, judging from all the stuff that leaked, it sounds like they are ready. Release tomorrow after the Smash Direct at the same time as Lucas?
The hazards of the internet I guess.

Foffy

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;167615649 said:
I'm sure nobody was expecting both of them on Sunday.

Not even an announcement? It's pretty obvious Ryu was going to be shown, for that's a bigger reveal than Roy. Roy also being announced tomorrow is a bonus, and probably a sign that they're currently done on whatever it was they were working on with the game.

The more interesting question is if this is it for the game; will there be anybody else after these release?

NotLiquid

I'M NOT SAYING HE SHOULDN'T BE IN. I know hype in this thread is high please read.

All i said was, " hey these people might not care about ryu, and there is a reason for that, don't be mad at them "

Thats it, calm ya buttts

There are plenty of characters that people "don't recognize" because they didn't "grow up" with them but that doesn't factor into their legacy. Link only gets a game every half a decade yet he's still an icon around the world.

You can give condescending boo hoos all you want but you still haven't proven your stance to be any less valid for audiences around the world - especially when that half decade of dormancy (which I mentioned even despite you using it as a counter) didn't amount to anything in the face of SFIV's huge dominance.

R.D.Blax

Most definitely. What I'm really, really hoping for now is that Roy gets his moveset changed to the point where he doesn't feel like a Marth clone anymore. Like what happened to Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.

yeah Seth Killian had an article once where he talked about how the Hadouken changed fighting games forever, cause of zoning and the benefits of it being a projectile and etc etc.

Mechanically SF is the ultimate fighting game to me, and as Maj said Ryu is most definitely the most fleshed out SF character.

At the very least, his counter and B up animation are already different from Marth, and he got his fire blade too. So I think it's safe to say his more Luigi than Dark Pit already

Both pretty "meh" choices for DLC but they look good.

Ryu might be iconic but he's kinda bland. I also don't really agree with Ryu turning up when we don't even have Street Fighter on the Wii or Wii U. I'm hoping Nintendo made a deal with Capcom and they give something in return; it's otherwise a very meh choice that gives pointless free advertising when there are so many cool 3rd party characters to choose from.

Dad

Not even an announcement? It's pretty obvious Ryu was going to be shown, for that's a bigger reveal than Roy. Roy also being announced tomorrow is a bonus, and probably a sign that they're currently done on whatever it was they were working on with the game.

The more interesting question is if this is it for the game; will there be anybody else after these release?

There better be, unless that Smash Ballot was one giant sham.

XaosWolf

Ryu is cool and a welcome new character. (keeps Capcom close for MonHun too)

Roy is not so cool as we really didn't need another swordsman, let alone another Fire Emblem rep. =/

Hoped for Wolf as the next veteran and even then I'd hope he has a revamped moveset.

Oddish1

Ryu might be iconic but he's kinda bland. I also don't really agree with Ryu turning up when we don't even have Street Fighter on the Wii or Wii U. I'm hoping Nintendo made a deal with Capcom and they give something in return; it's otherwise a very meh choice that gives pointless free advertising when there are so many cool 3rd party characters to choose from.

Street Fighter 4 and Monster Hunter on 3ds.

At the very least, his counter and B up animation are already different from Marth, and he got his fire blade too. So I think it's safe to say his more Luigi than Dark Pit already

Man that'd be ideal. I'm fine with them wanting to put Roy in to satisfy his fans, but I think we can all agree it'd be best if he wasn't a straight up clone.

There better be, unless that Smash Ballot was one giant sham.

Apparently the smash ballot ends in october, and the dataminers had already found data on Roy and Ryu pointing at them being included at around the same time (or maybe before?) the ballot went up. So I think it's safe to say Roy/Ryu and the ballot are unrelated.

Golnei

Dr. Mario would be more accurate - he's still overwhelmingly similar to the base character, with a few alterations to be more in line with his Melee self and new taunt / victory animations. The Final Smash is the only likely point of divergence, and even then a reskinned Critical Hit is probable.

TheOGB

Banned
No joke: I'm actually considering playing the game seriously now and making him my main, assuming he translates to Smash well and isn't flat-out garbage. Was already considering to go competitive with Mario; might as well pick up the original shoto instead of the Nintendo derivative.

Ryu truly is my favorite Street Fighter character, for a few different reasons:
Bless this post

No Guile's theme

fehlg8W.png
But fuck this noise :(

The patch also has new Mii Fighter costumes:

Brawler - Akira (Virtua Fighter)
Brawler - Jacky (Virtua Fighter)
Brawler - Heihachi (Tekken)
Gunner - Isabelle
Gunner - MegaMan.EXE
Swordfighter - Zero
Goddamn I cannot wait to whoop ass as myself in Heihachi cosplay

Street Fighter 4 and Monster Hunter on 3ds.

Monster Hunter would have been better. I'm still bitter there was no SF4 for the Wii and the 3DS iteration came out pretty late with less content IIRC.

Street Fighter 2 was one of my first videogames, but Capcom support has been nothing but disappointing to me since the Gamecube days. Unless Capcom announce something interesting for Nintendo at E3, I still disagree with this choice.
Nintendo was left dead in the water by nearly every 3rd party this generation. They should be making good business decisions when they release games like Smash. I guess we'll see in E3 if that is the case.

Village

There are plenty of characters that people "don't recognize" because they didn't "grow up" with them but that doesn't factor into their legacy. Link only gets a game every half a decade yet he's still an icon around the world.
Sure?

You can give condescending boo hoos all you want but you still haven't proven your stance to be any less valid for audiences around the world - especially when that half decade of dormancy (which I mentioned even despite you using it as a counter) didn't amount to anything in the face of SFIV's huge dominance.
What are you even talking about?Tekken released the highest selling fighting game in existance... and is the highest selling fighting game franchise. In existance. Besides smash.. also SMASH BROTHERS. Also Mortal Kombat being extremely successful despite releasing horrible games.

Things did really well whilst street fighter didn't exist. You can't argue that, it happened. What are you trying to prove here? All i'm saying is for a while there were people playing a bunch fighting games not caring about ryu. And maybe they don't care now.

Like what are you even arguing about. Seriously do you even know?

bon

This isn't about what Capcom has done for Nintendo lately. This isn't about advertising Street Fighter V. This isn't about Nintendo getting something in return.

This is about honoring an iconic video game character from a classic series that pioneered a genre (the genre that Smash is part of).

Super happy about Ryu, can't wait to use him. Not too excited about Roy but I hope they can do something interesting with him. Wouldn't mind all the Fire Emblem characters if they just chose some more interesting ones.

This isn't about what Capcom has done for Nintendo lately. This isn't about advertising Street Fighter V. This isn't about Nintendo getting something in return.

This is about honoring an iconic video game character from a classic series that pioneered a genre (the genre that Smash is part of).

Yeah, those were my thoughts. It's weird to see fans getting upset that Nintendo is including a character without trying to leverage something out of it. You'd think they'd be happy that Smash isn't being used as a platform for weird corporate politics.

Crayolan

Is this real life? People complaining about getting Ryu? Goddammit...the gamer in me died a bit.

Nah to be honest I'm really happy about Ryu I'll spend money to have him on Smash.

For a lot of people Ryu doesn't really fit in in Smash Bros amongst all the cartoony Nintendo characters. Though SF does have a history with Nintendo, that was a long time ago. If I was told a 3rd party rep from Nintendo's past was going to be added to the game, Ryu is not even one of the first characters to come to mind.

Also I'm sure many people would rather see more Nintendo characters rather than 3rd parties in their Nintendo fighting game.

Personally the only reason Ryu is exciting to me is for the tiny possibility of Nintendo vs. Capcom. I have little interest in the character himself, so if that doesn't pan out he'll feel like a waste.

Qurupeke

So many leaks happened to the game overall, it's kind of amazing. I mean we had apparently leaks of Villager and the rest just before the game's reveal, later we had the Gematsu leaks and t finally the whole roster leaked from the ERSB. And this trend is still there, with the DLC. :/

He added back Roy? Really? Fuck off! Oh hey we already have 4 FE characters, let's add another one as DLC!

they obviously bring back "lower" effort chars first, they know how Lucas, Roy, Mewtwo move and look in smash. There's tons of design references and a pretty clear moveset for Ryu for this type of game. New original chars take a while longer to develop and will probably come later this year or next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom