• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Codex's Fallout 4 review (spoilers)

Alebrije

It's scary because Fallout 4 is the most successful Fallout game. It's now likely Bethesda will say "fuck it" to all of the negative feedback the game received from fans and make all of the Fallout games like 4. These companies look at the data. The data tells them the game sold really well. They don't care about critic reviews or what fans think. If the numbers say $$$, that's all that matters.

That is the main reason I do not see Bethesda doing something different for next FO game.

They have an interesting lore , good perk and skill system, and weapon diversity among other good stuff. They just need to throw a mediocre story with lame NPCs and dialog, including repetitive sidequest; and will sell millions because people finds fun to kill Mutants with different weapons. Obviously is fun but that used to be just a part of a whole FO game and now is a main one.

Fallout 4 has more similarities with Far Cry Primal than the Witcher 3.

Agree with this summary. I'm still having fun after 100 hours of playing it though, so oh well.

Which is fine but it's not like we have a deluge of post apocalyptic RPGs. Wasteland 2 and maybe "technically" AoD although post roman empire apocalypse isn't really what I think of with the term. So losing one to a more streamlined shooter first, everything else distant 2nd, kind of stinks.

The defense force of F4 is a sad thing to behold. I've seen a lot of people here who think it's better than TW3 just because killing stuff in it is more fun, and that's apparently all games should aspire to be. Fun killing simulators. Thank god TW3 sold well and won lots of awards.

As opposed to the people who hated the game before it ever arrived, viewed the released product through an extremely tainted lense, and then can't pass up a Fallout 4 thread without complaining about it?

Newflash: Some people like things you don't! It's not a "defense force".

I've gone into detail about why I dislike Fallout: New Vegas in the past, I'm not going to bother to do so again, because frankly it won't matter, and you won't care. You've already decided I'm a total fanboy just from what I've typed so far.

The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are my two favorite RPGs released this gen, and I like both, for different reasons. This doesn't make me wrong, no matter how much you wish it to be so.

Incidentally, I hated the old "check-list" style of "conversation" in FO3/NV, so while I don't find the new one special, I also don't consider it worse than the old stuff.

That is the main reason I do not see Bethesda doing something different for next FO game.

They have an interesting lore , good perk and skill system, and weapon diversity among other good stuff. They just need to throw a mediocre story with lame NPCs and dialog, including repetitive sidequest; and will sell millions because people finds fun to kill Mutants with different weapons. Obviously is fun but that used to be just a part of a whole FO game and now is a main one.

Fallout 4 has more similarities with Far Cry Primal than the Witcher 3.

Fallout 4 is a good game. It's just not a great Fallout game. I find myself going back to NV more and more.

14619.jpg

14622.jpg

14659.jpg

14640.jpg

oh my god my sides

Ogimachi

Spot-on. I really like Bubbles' humour, his Gamescom report was great, too.
Also played it for a review, and I've never felt such a deep sense of regret for wasting my time on a game.

Hardly. It just has higher standards for, uh, RPG, which means Bethesda AAA turds are not going an automatic 9/10 because they have a popular name behind it.

The Codex definitely has its issues, but they do know their stuff regarding RPG and not falling for hype/marketing.
I am talking about the overall community there, and no their negativity is not just something that can be simply described as "higher standards for rpgs". I have posted there, and even they admit they hate everything. It's obviously not meant to be taken literally, but yes they are ridiculously negative. It is part of their thing they got going on

They didn't "not like" Pillars. They had many criticisms, but also many positive things to say about it.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9985

Same with TW3: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9961

Let us not mischaracterize their opinions.

Eh one review made it pretty clear they didn't seem to enjoy Pillars, I wouldn't say the other guy was unfairly mischaracterizing their opinions. From another review here http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9867 :
Let’s get one thing straight. When Obsidian were touting how this was their “ultimate” game, over which they’d finally have “full creative jurisdiction” that wouldn’t be “blocked by publishers”, I had many things in mind. I had a vision of another Mask of the Betrayer, I thought of a throwback to Icewind Dale, I also hoped for something completely new. What I got instead was a very badly done cargo-cult clone of Baldur’s Gate 1 that mindlessly copies all its flaws while actually dropping the things that made it work, and completely disregarding the 17 years of cRPG history that happened in the meantime. “But Darth Roxor, BG1 wasn’t that much of a good game either, it was only BG2 that was really gud!”, I hear you say. And you are right. Then let me ask you back – why did Obsidian decide to clone BG1 instead of the clearly superior BG2? Why settle for blatant mediocrity instead of aiming for supremacy?

Even further, I don’t know if I could call Pillars of Eternity an outright “bad” game. It’s just painfully generic, with nothing that ever stands out, but I would also say that any sufficiently mediocre game is indistinguishable from a bad one. To be honest, I would say it’s rather insulting that Obsidian, with all their creative freedom for PoE, have decided not to experiment even a little bit. Everything in this game is textbook, safe and derivative, there are no risks involved anywhere, the game practically plays itself with barely any input from the player. The only emotion PoE evoked from me during the 41 hours it took me to finish it was a feeling of ennui that kept telling me, ‘maybe I should play IWD again’. I doubt that should be your objective when you make the ‘ultimate’ IE homage. Obsidian promised the story of PS:T, combat of IWD and the exploration of BG, but somewhere along the road they got confused, and what they gave us instead was the story of BG, the combat of PS:T and the exploration of Gothic 4.

This is literally the worst Obsidian game I’ve played to date. That’s right, I even had more fun with Dungeon Siege 3 - at least it was a fun beat ‘em up, as opposed to this lifeless, uninspired husk. Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity.]

I'd say that regardless of your feelings on the Codexians (or whatever is the appropriate name for them) I think they make solid points here. I'd say that Bethesda has no real interest in making a traditional RPG in the roleplaying sense and are more interested in making an open world where the player can fuck about.

Kem0sabe

Especially gays and minorities.

How so? The moderators and staff for the forum include:

1. At least one guy who is openly gay
2. A jew
3. A furry
4. A middle aged virgin recluse that lives somewhere in california and deals meth out of his computer repair shop
5. A german (bavarian) right wing women
6. At least one polish car thief
7. An australian convicted criminal, rumored to finance the site as a means of money laundering
8. A transexual, not sure if post op or pre-op (refuses to post pics of genitals)

As you can see, its an assorted mess of degenerates, criminals and minorities.

Also, the codex doesnt have an opinion on any given game, theres no consensus, no hivemind, anyone can send in a review for a game to posted on the front page, heck... they are still receiving reviews for PoE a year after release.

How so? The moderators and staff for the forum include:

1. At least one guy who is openly gay
2. A jew
3. A furry
4. A middle aged virgin recluse that lives somewhere in california and deals meth out of his computer repair shop
5. A german (bavarian) right wing women
6. At least one polish car thief
7. An australian convicted criminal, rumored to finance the site as a means of money laundering
8. A transexual, not sure if post op or pre-op (refuses to post pics of genitals)

As you can see, its an assorted mess of degenerates, criminals and minorities.

Also, the codex doesnt have an opinion on any given game, theres no consensus, no hivemind, anyone can send in a review for a game to posted on the front page, heck... they are still receiving reviews for PoE a year after release.

If you're going to say "anyone can send in a review for a game to be posted" as if the whole community has to be included, then I don't know how you can act so confused on why somebody would think they are negative towards gays and minorities. The board goes out of thier way to use words like "fag" and racial slurs. It's pretty blatant, are you really going to deny that?

Sou Da

Are we playing the "Let's pretend the Codex forums aren't practically a Stormfront recruitment center" game?

It's not relevant to the review, which is pretty spot on but c'mon.

Also there are aspects of BG1 that put it over BG2 for me but PoE didn't really recapture those.

Kem0sabe

If you're going to say "anyone can send in a review for a game to be posted" as if the whole community has to be included, then I don't know how you can act so confused on why somebody would think they are negative towards gays and minorities. The board goes out of thier way to use words like "fag" and racial slurs. It's pretty blatant, are you really going to deny that?

A lot of members are also reportedly members of ISIS / are self titled Undercover Reptilian overlords / Udmurt Liberation Front guerrillas / Brazilian Crusaders / Islander cannibals / Portuguese goat fuckers* / Vatnik biker gangers.

*This is actually just one guy

Codex is known to attract a very much diverse bunch of people, which disagree on everything but one point... freedom to talk online as they wish with a generally hands off moderation from the staff, which just tries to keep threads organized, as the community tends to moderate itself.

You could spend all your day calling someone like Infinitron (codex staffer) a filthy jew and he wouldnt blink an eye, possibly would even join in on the fun and ask you for a free game on steam, same thing for calling Jaesun (another staff member) a fag, he would just call you a shitposter and ask you for a dick pick.

Most of the codex members dont hate anyone for their skin color, religion or sexuality, they might call you shit names but so would your brother or friend when hes messing with you.

The community has a large number of developers posting there and lurking, i doubt they would do so if it was truly a despicable place without good intelligent discussion most of the time.

Sou Da

A lot of members are also reportedly members of ISIS / are self titled Undercover Reptilian overlords / Udmurt Liberation Front guerrillas / Brazilian Crusaders / Islander cannibals / Portuguese goat fuckers* / Vatnik biker gangers.

*This is actually just one guy

Codex is known to attract a very much diverse bunch of people, which disagree one everything but one point... freedom to talk online as they wish with a generally hands off moderation from the staff, which just tries to keep threads organized, as the community tends to moderate itself.

You could spend all your day calling someone like Infinitron (codex staffer) a filthy jew and he wouldnt blink an eye, possibly would even join in on the fun and ask you for a free game on steam, same thing for calling Jaesun (another staff member) a fag, he would just call you a shitposter and ask you for a dick pick.

99% of the codex members dont hate anyone for their skin color, religion or sexuality, they might call you shit names but so would your brother or friend when hes messing with you.

The community has a large number of developers posting there and lurking, i doubt they would do so if it was truly a despicable place without good intelligent discussion most of the time.

People say the same thing about /v/, I don't buy it there either.

The forums have always just read like /v/ with more grognards now that I think about it.

In two years there will be an amazing, perfected gameplay overhaul mod that will make it worth replaying. That's what I'm banking on anyway. Otherwise, not a good investment.

Sou Da

In two years there will be an amazing, perfected gameplay overhaul mod that will make it worth replaying. That's what I'm banking on anyway. Otherwise, not a good investment.

I honestly think the most we can hope for is some Project brazil type 'expansion mod' and even those guys are making their own game when they're done.

Checks out, 100%. Fallout as a series is all but dead now if BGS decide to use 4 as the template for future games, which is something that makes me genuinely upset. Easily my favourite fictional universe, and it's in the hands of a bunch of talentless arse-clowns who lack the subtlety and finesse to make anything worthwhile from it.

Games as old as Morrowind and as recent as New Vegas and The Witcher 3 have simply opened with an intro cinematic followed by a few conversations and a short tutorial, and that seemed a perfectly adequate strategy to keep players interested in the game. But Bethesda aren't Obsidian or CD Projekt, and they aren't the company that made Morrowind either. Bethesda insist on doing things their own way, and that means railroading new players down a long track of inane conversations and pointless time wasting exercises.

I'm going to love this review, I think.

draetenth

I thought it was a good review. I've always wondered why Bethesda bought the Fallout license. It couldn't have been for the fans of the original. It's not like there were that many and since most are fans of RPGs and well-written stories, Bethesda hasn't exactly worked to keep them. It couldn't be for the world and lore since they always introduce inconsistencies and retcon things in the Fallout world.

I suppose it could be to have something different to balance out the fantasy of the Elder Scrolls, but why Fallout if you won't take advantage of it's history? Why couldn't they make their own fucking world? They made Dishonored and I loved that game. Why couldn't they have just made an open world RPG in the Dishonored World?

In a perfect world, Troika (iirc it was them) would have bought the Fallout license and stayed in business while Bethesda just created their own world/used the Dishonored world for open-world RPGs.

Maledict

I thought it was a good review. I've always wondered why Bethesda bought the Fallout license. It couldn't have been for the fans of the original. It's not like there were that many and since most are fans of RPGs and well-written stories, Bethesda hasn't exactly worked to keep them. It couldn't be for the world and lore since they always introduce inconsistencies and retcon things in the Fallout world.

I suppose it could be to have something different to balance out the fantasy of the Elder Scrolls, but why Fallout if you won't take advantage of it's history? Why couldn't they make their own fucking world? They made Dishonored and I loved that game. Why couldn't they have just made an open world RPG in the Dishonored World?

In a perfect world, Troika (iirc it was them) would have bought the Fallout license and stayed in business while Bethesda just created their own world/used the Dishonored world for open-world RPGs.

You wonder whey they bought the license, when the two games they have released have been two of their biggest games ever? And the latest one is potentially their biggest RPG to date?

We might not like what they have done with it or their games (I certainly don't, their games are soulless) but they've taken an old defunct license and made huge amounts of profit with it.

Kem0sabe

In other news boyarsky just joined a obsidian. So there's hope that they get to make a post apocalyptic rpg in the mold of the original Fallout.

I don't think I'll ever understand that backlash FO4 got. I didn't like it, but it felt like every other modern Bethesda game and people seem to like those a whole bunch

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I kind of enjoy how cranky the Fallout fanbase is.

I just got into the series last year and even Bethesda Fallout games are clearly big amazing adventures with so much good stuff... But it's carrying along this really smart, particular fanbase from a previous era of indepth classic RPGs and they are just experts at tearing the new games down.

I've seen more critical takedowns of F3 and 4 in print and on YT than I know what to do with.

I love Bethesda Fallout games for what they are, but I've taken notes from the old school fans about their issues...

Tigress

Fallout 4 is a good game. It's just not a great Fallout game. I find myself going back to NV more and more.

This is kinda how I feel. I love the game and it is a good gsme. Having more fun with it than witcher 3 (which I honestly expected though) and I really cannot wait for survival mode. But it is not a good Fallout game. It really lost a lot of the "soul" of the game. Or rather it is not a good rpg and lost what made fallout a good rpg.

Sadly for me what I think would have made all the difference is the dialogue being totally revamped to allow for real choices in how you respond to people that make a difference how they treat you (not just several ways to agree to a quest and one way for them to say you can change your mind later) and also for a lot more skill checks that aren't combat ones or only charisma checks (that only really affect if you get a little more info rather than allowing you to pass a quest that way). They pretty much got rid of skill checks that allow you to solve for a quest in any other way than combat. I admit if they just had done a good dialogue system that also allowed for skill checks to give you options in how you solve quests for me that would have been enough to call it a good Fallout game.

Also it seems Bethesda tried to do improve stuff that obsidian did right but still lost the point in why it was so good. For example the followers all having personal quests you can unlock by getting them to like you. That's a great idea and it is what really first impressed me with new Vegas. Except Bethesda cheesed it out and all you have to do is repeat actions they like (hack a lot around nick and he'll eventually come around). New Vegas gave the followers a lot more personalization by you having to react to personal things related to their backstory to get them to like you.

And I'm happy they are trying a survival mode. From the sounds of it it could easily outdo obsidian' mode but I'm kinda cautious that it won't get messed up some how. I appreciate they are trying but it seems that Bethesda just doesn't get it. And also in their attempt to make the game let you do whatever and not restrict you they are losing sight of what a good rpg is.

GHG

Gold Member
I played this game a few months ago. I modded it to hell and back but still got bored of it. The core of the game is just dull, it's a run of the mill shooter with a heavy emphasis on loot. The settlement building stuff is a nice distraction for a while but it also gets boring quick since it shows itself up as being shallow after a while.

To even call it an RPG is a huge stretch IMO.

As others have echoed, I don't think it's any mystery why bethesda bought Fallout.

They now regularly supply a massive open world game in a market that rewards the most massive of open world games, alternating two consistent and contrasting flavors (high fantasy and post apocalypse) that mechanically are similar enough to hit the same audiences but are superficially different enough (remember, at a glance, one is a game where you're fighting orcs with swords and the other is a game where you're shooting people with guns) and release far apart enough to not crowd each other.

Bethesda has found a very reliable way to make video games. I think that we aren't going to see any signs of slowing down until they get greedy and decide to add a third aesthetic to the rotation, or if their tech falls far enough behind their contemporaries that the audience moves on to flashier open world titles.

Quest variety was lacking and the dialogue options seriously suffered as a result. I also agree that it has probably the worst narrative of any of their games for a while now. (I can't actually think of one I've played that was worse.) The combat, however, was a solid improvement, as was the world design. Couldn't play any more after 50 hours, whereas I sunk 120 into The Witcher 3.

Edit: By combat, I mean ranged specifically. Melee still feels like garbage.

The Victorian

Neo Member
RPGCodex, at least as far as the forums are concerned, is an alt-right cesspool that's little more than a branch of /v/ at this point. Chan culture is truly putrid, no matter where one encounters it, and it's sad to hear people defending it.

That review was bang-on, though. FO4 was rubbish.

Arulan

The guys who made Diablo basically thought they were making a D&D game. Because that's how they played D&D. Monty Haul hack 'N slash with a drip feed of cool rewards every five seconds. I happen to like Diablo, but yeah.. That isn't my D&D.

People don't always see what others see when they play a game. Rightly so, Bethesda saw value in that cool 50's future sci-fi dystopia. And damn them for it, because their two games are massive hits that bury much of what made those first two games (and NV later) so great.

To be fair, the original design was for a turn-based game, but were later convinced by Blizzard to make it real-time.

I certainly would have liked to see Troika's vision for Fallout. They were developing a post-apocalyptic RPG at the time, with the intention of it being Fallout if they had won the bid for IP.

joecanada

"Ask the average mainstream gamer what the best designed, most atmospheric, most memorable, best written, and overall biggest and greatest RPG of 2015 was, and they are almost certain to reply: “The Witcher 3”. However, if you ask them about the best-selling RPG of the year, they will assuredly point to Fallout 4."

And yet I probably got 2-3 times more playtime and fun out of Fallout 4... Exploration is the name of the game can't wait for no man's sky.
I don't even need a story. Less scenes to skip.

Puppen

Banned
"Ask the average mainstream gamer what the best designed, most atmospheric, most memorable, best written, and overall biggest and greatest RPG of 2015 was, and they are almost certain to reply: “The Witcher 3”. However, if you ask them about the best-selling RPG of the year, they will assuredly point to Fallout 4."

And yet I probably got 2-3 times more playtime and fun out of Fallout 4... Exploration is the name of the game can't wait for no man's sky.
I don't even need a story. Less scenes to skip.

Congratulations, you're Bethesda's target demographic. They also have no interest in intellectual engagement.

joecanada

Congratulations, you're Bethesda's target demographic. They also have no interest in intellectual engagement.

Thank god for that, nothing worse than video games who actually think their writing is good and force you to watch it. I think maybe Bethesda doesn't even pretend lol.
It's a bit odd they seem to put so much effort in all the little things like computer entries, diaries, weird environmental effects... I wonder if they actually like world building alot more than actually writing the story? Would be interesting to see an interview to see if they thought the story was good. Reminds me of gta but gta has better stories albeit mostly blatantly copied. Maybe Bethesda should try that.

RPGCodex, at least as far as the forums are concerned, is an alt-right cesspool that's little more than a branch of /v/ at this point. Chan culture is truly putrid, no matter where one encounters it, and it's sad to hear people defending it.

That review was bang-on, though. FO4 was rubbish.

This is actually pretty confusing. How did that community end up like that? Nothing about cRPGs seem to inherently attract the /V/ crowd

GHG

Gold Member
Thank god for that, nothing worse than video games who actually think their writing is good and force you to watch it. I think maybe Bethesda doesn't even pretend lol.
It's a bit odd they seem to put so much effort in all the little things like computer entries, diaries, weird environmental effects... I wonder if they actually like world building alot more than actually writing the story? Would be interesting to see an interview to see if they thought the story was good. Reminds me of gta but gta has better stories albeit mostly blatantly copied. Maybe Bethesda should try that.

It's like we live in a world where there are no videogamers with good writing.

I feel sorry for people who genuinely believe this is the case.

Oh and Bethseda do pretend because if not why even bother to have any dialogue options at all? Why even bother to have dialogue cutscenes? Why even bother to have charisma and intelligence stats?

bosseye

I vaguely enjoyed the fairly brief time I spent with Fallout 4 before I got bored, but there was so much wrong with it. My two biggest issues though were the writing/characters and the environment.

Right from the start, the entire set up to entering the vault was laughably done, dismal, terribly written dead eyed mannequin people flailing about, piss poor - how all those people at Bethesda created and play tested this opening segment and presumably though "Yep! This'll do!" is a mystery to me:

"Would you like to be allowed into our Nuclear Vault if a nuke goes off?"
"Yes please"
"Oh Shit, WAR WERE DECLARED"

And then entire population of the town (all 7 of them?) turns up at the flimsy chain link fence to get into the vault, BOOM, nuke goes off just over there - wake up 200 years in the future, come on out and it all looks the same! Why does it all look the same? Sure, its a little bit tumble down, but a nuke went off just over there! And its been 200 years! All thats happened is some of the timber siding fell off the house and the trees look a bit dead.

It looks more like maybe 20 years has passed and no nuke went off. It was one of my biggest issues with the world, it just looked wrong, it didn't fit with the fiction at all. Certainly the environment is capable of producing some nice moments in isolation, but taken as a whole, there is zero cohesion to any of it. Its just a load of 'cool' looking areas scattered about.

I can handle the wooden characters who just stand about gazing dead eyed into the distance, but the writing is so dull, astonishingly dull, literally none of the characters have anything going for them. The dialogue choices are stultifying in their mediocrity and redundancy. The entire plot of FIND MY STOLEN BABY! just doesn't hold up as you wander about making crappy bases and doing entirely unrelated things - there's always a bit of that, but the plot as stated is too urgent, you're finding your child - you wouldn't hang around on that mission. At least Witcher 3 you can explain the side stuff away more easily as there isn't such an urgent goal, you're more allowed to inhabit the environment and live the life of a Witcher.

Witcher 3 was an immeasurably better RPG. Fallout feels entirely amateurish in comparison.

GHG

Gold Member
I think it would be easier for everyone if we just didn't classify fallout 4 as an RPG at all. The reality is that it's an open world loot FPS.

A cross between Borderlands and Far Cry if you like.

Top Bottom