• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Games: Underlooked Gems

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Suairyu

Banned
I am right now adding a lot to the OP, but a request of sorts.

Does anyone have any good links to tutorials, guides, resources, and helpful links to those who would like to develop for RPG Maker?

Think it might be useful, and was wondering if anyone has anything they know of?
Learn Ruby The Hard Way

Best introduction to Ruby, which RGSS is a modified version of, ever.

Dusk Golem

antitrop

I actually bought copies of RPG Maker VX Ace for my son and I to make a game together. Should be a fun project. Some people might ask why I'd want to work on a game in my spare time when I work on games as a job, but I really like doing it that much. Plus, my son is really interested in doing it too.

That sounds like an awesome bonding experience.

Persona86

Banned
This is kind of inspiring, I'm going to try a few of these.
Damn now I feel like trying to make a game. Which program would you guys recommend for a more visual novel style game? or mixed with an rpg style?

Accoun

Downloaded Donald Fuck a few days ago...

779GY.jpg

...lol
Oh God, that reminds me how I was making a "humorous" adventure game in it because I was bored on my trip to Vienna with my cousin.

It was about umm... oh, well...
A knight's quest for the old wizard's house. He went to him because that's who the king got his sandwich from and it looked so tasty that the knight wanted one as well. It was totally random and consisted of lots of puns and parodies: from various games (hell, we even copied a few gameplay/design ideas from our favourites) to Monty Python to Eurovision to TV (one of few actual enemies was a group of... Power Rangers) and made no sense whatsoever.
We were kids and basically our creation process was "let's add it because why not". It was so stupid, but we had lots of fun.

Maybe I should get back to it?

Suairyu

Banned
This is kind of inspiring, I'm going to try a few of these.
Damn now I feel like trying to make a game. Which program would you guys recommend for a more visual novel style game? or mixed with an rpg style?
Visual novel:

Ren'py

Used by Digital: A Love Story (and all of Love's other titles) and Katawa Shoujo.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh wow, some of these games look incredibly sophisticated - a far cry from RTP-filled fan games from the dawn of RM2K/3. Also, consider me shocked to find that RPG Maker is now available to buy on Steam. :0

I really want to get back into it again...

By the way (hah), The Way was an excellent series so I recommend looking into it if you wish for some games to play. Extremely linear, though, apart from the last chapter. FFXIII fans should apply within. ;P

Persona86

Banned
But if you do want to do an RPG/VN hybrid, it's much easier to code VN elements into RPG Maker than it is to code RPG elements into Ren'Py.

Ah I see, well nothing concrete yet, I think I knew about all this and the programs in the past, I remember downloading Ren'py, it's just all a blur now haha, thanks for the reminder. :)

Dusk Golem

Myriadis

Oh God, that reminds me how I was making a "humorous" adventure game in it because I was bored on my trip to Vienna with my cousin.

It was about umm... oh, well...
A knight's quest for the old wizard's house. He went to him because that's who the king got his sandwich from and it looked so tasty that the knight wanted one as well. It was totally random and consisted of lots of puns and parodies: from various games (hell, we even copied a few gameplay/design ideas from our favourites) to Monty Python to Eurovision to TV (one of few actual enemies was a group of... Power Rangers) and made no sense whatsoever.
We were kids and basically our creation process was "let's add it because why not". It was so stupid, but we had lots of fun.

Maybe I should get back to it?
I would say no. I and some friends did a similar thing when we were kids which involved people we know, lots of immature jokes and all that. Really had some good laughs seeing the results of each other, but I really think that an adult person doesn't have the "Throw it in because why not"-mentality that kids have and the jokes would be more predictable and not done on a gut level.

Accoun

I'm not saying about this particular game. Obviously, as an adult person I wouldn't have much more to say about it than "WTF I was thinking?".
And I wasn't thinking much since it was only made to kill some time. It was made for a reason and it wouldn't be the same.
(leave alone the fact that it about 2 laptops ago, if you know that I mean - so quite some time ago. No way that I'd have any access to these files)

Still, had fun with making it and maybe I'd actually make a NORMAL game with it...

Dusk Golem

Yume Nikki is magnificent. I never finished it(and never will), but my experience was extremely compelling. I have played very few games ever with atmosphere as effective and captivating as Yume Nikki. Profoundly beautiful in its own melancholy, sinister way.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Amalthea

Banned
I once tried to make an actual side-scrolling Metroid game with the 2000 version.
Didn't get far but it had the morph-ball, shooting rockets and an attempt at jumping-physics.

Yai, it did really help put things into perspective though and thought it was a good ending.

Yeah, it was, but it was also legitimately upsetting. Mad Father's ending was also pretty fucked up, but it was more like an "oh shit" feeling in a horror sense rather than what we get with Witch's House.

Anyway, started Ib. Pretty interesting so far.

Mad Father yesterday, Ib today!

Another decent timesink. It felt less polished than Mad Father, but with a more unique and unnerving (to me) atmosphere. I was on edge much more throughout, even if there weren't really any major scares;
the most unsettling it got was probably the timed TREASURE HUNT room with that... thing gradually coming out of the painting. I loved the concept of the roses representing the characters' spirits, even if they did just largely function as unorthodox health meters (outside of a few key moments, at least).

Ended up with the Neutral Good ending, where Garry survived but they didn't remember each-other. Then I loaded a save, talked to him a bunch of times in the Sketchbook sunlight and got the best ending. Usually I'd prefer a warped ending like the one where Mary 'becomes' Ib's sister, but Garry was enough of a bro that I'd feel bad if he didn't survive.

While they're both decent games, I'd say I slightly preferred Mad Father, largely due to the superior presentation and the more satisfying true ending. Speaking of which, I totally forgot to post the best piece of Mad Father fanart (SPOILERS FOR THE TRUE ENDING) when I posted in the other thread yesterday.

Tomorrow, Witch's House!

Well, the day after tomorrow then.

I'm very glad I played The Witch's House after Mad Father and Ib, because I prefer saving the best for last when possible, and it was easily the most frightening, the most affecting and the overall most enjoyable of the trio.
I knew I was in for a treat when I stepped on a smear of blood in the first room and was promptly made paper thin, but even so, I wouldn't have predicted just how much I'd end up enjoying it.

I think the main reason I preferred it to the other two was because it kept me strongly on edge practically from start to finish. The sudden and shocking deaths in the early rooms instilled a fear in me that the house nurtured throughout the game, making me feel like the 'Game Over' screen was never more than a few seconds away regardless of where I was. It also had my favourite endgame; the final chase section made for an excellent climax, with my brain desperately trying to recall the way out and the house doing what it could to impede my escape.

The scariest moment for me was probably when I picked up the wristwatch underneath the desk in the dark passageway (I was fairly certain it was a bad idea, but I wanted to try everything out), went into the item menu to examine it and saw Viola's HOLY SHIT character portrait. I was already on edge from walking around in that passageway but then I just totally lost it.

I got the normal ending the first time around (not that my mind had much say in the matter), but I remembered reading here that the ending was supposedly very upsetting so I figured I'd missed something. Then I went back and got the true ending.

Yeah.

I said in my previous post that I usually preferred warped endings, but... no, even I couldn't enjoy that. The twist had my jaw hanging open, and watching 'Viola' call out to her father only to be rewarded with a hole in her skull almost had me in tears. Unusual reaction for me considering I'd barely invested 90 minutes into the game, but I think it's testament to the impact it had on my mentality.

I know it's only February, but I suspect this will be one of my favourite games I play this year. Overall rating: 5 grinning skulls out of 5.

Dusk Golem

Nearly 48 hours later and I'm still hung up on The Witch's House. I can't even bring myself to play anything else at the moment.

In the meantime, I've been looking up fanart of the 3 games. Gotta say, I'm absolutely blown away not only by how much fanart Ib has, but also by the quality of it. This was probably the best piece I saw (IB SPOILERS). Me being me, this was my favourite. (IB SPOILERS). Witch's House had some decent stuff too, particularly this (WITCH'S HOUSE SPOILERS).

Someone else has probably expressed this thought before, but is the girl in Mad Father with no eyes
a reference to The Witch's House? I just noticed that she has what appears to be the exact same sprite as Viola (I'm sure it's probably a generic RPG maker/editor sprite, but still) and it seems an unlikely coincidence on top of that that she's missing her eyes.

There is a third ending, but its just an expansion of the true ending with a bit more explained. To get that ending, beat the game without saving or talking to the cat once.
Yeah, I looked that up (along with the other 'secret' stuff) shortly after getting the true ending and it wrapped up basically all the remaining questions I had. Cute new avatar btw. Face

Andrefpvs

I'm a massive fan of RPG Maker, it got me interested in programming in the first place.

Subscribing to this thread so I can play some more games when I have the time.

Dusk Golem

Paches

Does anyone know the status of The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa? I know they did a Kickstarter for it, but not sure how it is coming along.

Amaron

Banned
I can't believe this game hasn't been mentioned yet. It's what got me into RPG maker seriously starting with 2k after experimenting with '95 a bit. I've tried every RPG Maker except VXAce, I still prefer XP's three layer mapping.

Ahriman's Prophecy

Amaranth Productions proudly introduces Ahriman's Prophecy, a beautiful fantasy world doomed to be destroyed by the demon, Ahriman.

In a desperate attempt to stop the prophecy, the Daughters of Light send you, a young but powerful magic wielder, on a difficult quest to unlock the secrets of the prophecy and hopefully, learn how to stop it.

If you enjoy classic RPGs like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, you're going to love Ahriman's Prophecy.

Made by Amaranth games, this is the "prequel" the the Aveyond series (which are b2p) in a sense. I was mind blown at the time I played it due to the fact it was made in RPGM2k. Why? The Battle system itself is one reason, it's not the engine turn based and uses a lot of complex events to make the action combat work. An epic RPG to the core imo.

gfs_203066_2_10.jpg

gfs_203066_2_15.jpg

Been itching to get RPGMaker for awhile. Then saw To The Moon and was like, "This is amazing". Then the sale, impulse buy of RPGMaker!

I was proficient with RM2k and RMXP so VXAce doesn't seem too far out of what I'm used to. And plus, after seeing To The Moon, I've finally figured out how to make one of the games I wanted to make.

redlemon

I can't believe this game hasn't been mentioned yet. It's what got me into RPG maker seriously starting with 2k after experimenting with '95 a bit. I've tried every RPG Maker except VXAce, I still prefer XP's three layer mapping.

Ahriman's Prophecy

Made by Amaranth games, this is the "prequel" the the Aveyond series (which are b2p) in a sense. I was mind blown at the time I played it due to the fact it was made in RPGM2k. Why? The Battle system itself is one reason, it's not the engine turn based and uses a lot of complex events to make the action combat work. An epic RPG to the core imo.

gfs_203066_2_10.jpg

gfs_203066_2_15.jpg

I think this might have been the first RPG I ever played in my life. Didn't it have a rudimentary marriage system and everything?

Amaron

Banned
I think this might have been the first RPG I ever played in my life. Didn't it have a rudimentary marriage system and everything?

Indeed it did. Can't say it was my first RPG though. That title goes to Kirby Warrior RPG.

That being said, here's to KWRPGII.

Really good fan-rpg based on kirby. It has a first iteration, the second (linked), and a third in development. I can't find many screenshots, but here's the one I can find. It's worth your time as well.

0.jpg

Dusk Golem

Top Bottom