• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker MV coming out October 23rd, Trailer, Browser Demo, & Pre-Order Live

STarted RPG maker with RPg maker 95 ( yeah that was a long time ago )

That takes me back

I'm intrested to see what are all the changes in MV because i have a story to tell , it's complete and the planning is done .. i might just do it for fun in MV if a new version is soon.

bomblord1

Banned

Woah... That's incredibly to say the least. They probably switched to javascript just so it could be used for browser compatibility.

With that in mind could the HTML5 versions be exported to Nintendo's HTML5 framework and played on the wiiU?!

Unai

Nice. It isn't working on Chrome, though. Maybe the final version will?

Also, the default menus are not very good to use with a mouse. But I think that would be easy to change specially now that it uses javascript.

Jarekx

Wow, didn't expect it to be this soon. Currently using GM but with the switch to Javascript and all these new features and exports I may end up switching.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
With that in mind could the HTML5 versions be exported to Nintendo's HTML5 framework and played on the wiiU?!

I don't see why in theory it couldn't. HTML5 is HTML5. Unless Nintendo pulls an mid-late 1990's browser "tag-is-only-good-for-us" sort of deal where they reinvent the entire HTML5 specifications with their own tags, it should be possible to port to anything that supports HTML5.

bomblord1

Banned
I don't see why in theory it couldn't. HTML5 is HTML5. Unless Nintendo pulls an mid-late 1990's browser "tag-is-only-good-for-us" sort of deal where they reinvent the entire HTML5 specifications with their own tags, it should be possible to port to anything that supports HTML5.

Might be time for me to become a wiiU dev xD.

On an unrelated note but still a serious question is anyone in here interested in teaming up once this is released and trying to make something? I'm a mid-range to beginner programmer (I'm technically a web developer but have taken enough programming classes in web languages like java, javascript, PHP, Objective C, etc that I know all the basics and a few intermediate things). I'm comfortable with other forms of RPG maker and have made a few incomplete things in other RPG maker games.

I'm not much of an artist or writer though.

BumRush

I know nothing about the RPGMakers (especially this one), but what could someone realistically make in this? A game with the looks and depth of FF1? FF4?

Orayn

I know nothing about the RPGMakers (especially this one), but what could someone realistically make in this? A game with the looks and depth of FF1? FF4?

Out of the box it's perfectly capable of making FF4-6 type games. With scripting, you can do pretty much any (2D) JRPG of the 16/32 bit era and more.

Evilisk

Huh, funny that this popped up now (I've been using RPG Maker VX Ace the past few days to actually try and make something)

A mobile version sounds cool and super convenient to have actually. Also neat that they're giving the option for side or front view battles

Acrylic7

You can make games far better than early FF games with RPGmaker without even knowing how to code. RPG Maker at its core is basically an FF 1&2 engine. To go beyond that you have to know some code.

Might be time for me to become a wiiU dev xD.

On an unrelated note but still a serious question is anyone in here interested in teaming up once this is released and trying to make something? I'm a mid-range to beginner programmer (I'm technically a web developer but have taken enough programming classes in web languages like java, javascript, PHP, Objective C, etc that I know all the basics and a few intermediate things). I'm comfortable with other forms of RPG maker and have made a few incomplete things in other RPG maker games.

I'm not much of an artist or write though.

I cant promise any artwork because that's to much of a workload (still improving digital art) but I can definitely write up story's and characters no problem.
If we can get a small team going that would be great.

bomblord1

Banned
You can make games far better than early FF games with RPGmaker without even knowing how to code. RPG Maker at its core is basically an FF 1&2 engine. To go beyond that you have to know some code.

I cant promise any artwork because that's to much of a workload (still improving digital art) but I can definitely write up story's and characters no problem.
If we can get a small team going that would be great.

What I would contribute would only amount to what I can throw together in my free time which can be variable. Story is definitely important though so if you could take care of that.

As far as art goes art is just not my thing we would definitely need a dedicated artist or suffice with the pre-made assets. It probably goes without saying but I obviously could not pay anyone for this.

Aru

I spent near 20€ in two Humble Bundles containing various versions of RPG Maker and barely used them because they are Windows-only.
I'd like to try MV, but I'll wait for a bundle or huge sale.

pislit

I spent near 20€ in two Humble Bundles containing various versions of RPG Maker and barely used them because they are Windows-only.
I'd like to try MV, but I'll wait for a bundle or huge sale.

Isn't RPG Maker notorious for not dropping its price?

Paradoxum

Neo Member
There will be a VX Ace to MV converter released at the same time, it will carry over most projects, except for custom scripts, as MV uses a completely different scripting language than VX Ace does.

Damn, I've been RM'ing since '95 and I have yet to actually finish a game with it.. I got pretty into my VX one but stopped working on it a few years ago now.. maybe I'll poke around with MV.

Zelias

Banned
Don't think I'd ever have the motivation/talent to make a game in this, but playing RPGMaker games on my phone/tablet might be cool.

Allegrian

Banned
I hope someone does a Mode 7 script when it comes out, I was doing a project that center around it and I'd like to move it to the new Maker.

The resolution stuff is still the most exciting part about it. If I can make grimy low-res 320x240 games, I'm there. It just hasn't been the same since they doubled the resolution, and I need to go back.

I might've understood you wrong. But you can actually make more than FF1&2 without coding. You can make an action RPG, some minigames, and smaller stuff like puzzles and simple platforming without knowing code.

I used to make a lots of systems like that back in RPGMaker 2k, specially minigames.

vareon

RPG Maker is a gateway drug to game development.

Back in the 2000s JRPGs were everywhere, though. I wonder if younger people would try this.

Acrylic7

What I would contribute would only amount to what I can throw together in my free time which can be variable. Story is definitely important though so if you could take care of that.

As far as art goes art is just not my thing we would definitely need a dedicated artist or suffice with the pre-made assets. It probably goes without saying but I obviously could not pay anyone for this.

Kinda in the same situation.

I only have enough time to tackle one aspect at once at the moment. If I go beyond that I have to eat up free time.
Free assets are all over the internet so that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm also not in the position to pay anyone :p

Yes! This looks excellent! I won't have the money for a while, but whenever I see it on sale I'll definitely snag a copy. HTML5 and mobile support is a gamechanger for me.

Sölf

Insane.

Thank you.

I have to add:
The project has never been finished and has been canceled by now. However, all of that has been done without coding, since it was done in RPG Maker 2000. And 2000 and 2003 don't have scripting, that was only implemented with XP and forward. So, yeah, even without coding you can do some incredible stuff.

HolyJonte

The hard thing with RPG Maker Project is'nt to come up with great ideas and write a interesting story, fun minigames, make beautiful maps and find awesome music to it. It's to limit your self to not include to much of the good... It's so hard to finish projects because you always aim to big.

This looks really fun. My God it's expensive though? What exactly justifies the $80 price tag? The pre-made art/sound assets or is it more so for being a platform that can execute HTML5?

bomblord1

Banned
This looks really fun. My God it's expensive though? What exactly justifies the $80 price tag? The pre-made art/sound assets or is it more so for being a platform that can execute HTML5?

Well I mean professional game development software used to cost in the $1000's.

The hard thing with RPG Maker Project is'nt to come up with great ideas and write a interesting story, fun minigames, make beautiful maps and find awesome music to it. It's to limit your self to not include to much of the good... It's so hard to finish projects because you always aim to big.

Thats a good problem to have hehe..

Anyone knows if you can record your own voice and use them in the game when characters talk to the player, I might try creating a very simple game for my 5 year old.

SoldnerKei

Man, the Javascript feature got me good, but I'll probably get it later, I'll see what the community can do with it before making my decision, looks pretty good thou.

bomblord1

Banned
Thats a good problem to have hehe..

Anyone knows if you can record your own voice and use them in the game when characters talk to the player, I might try creating a very simple game for my 5 year old.

Windows built in recording software and then just import the sound files to the database. There isn't a built in tool for it though.

bomblord1

Banned
Really tempted to just go ahead and pre-order this it comes with 2 resource packs if you pre-order and it's $9 cheaper.

Top Bottom