• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker MV coming out October 23rd, Trailer, Browser Demo, & Pre-Order Live

Kouriozan

Funny, I didn't follow news about the release but ended up checking the web demo yesterday and it said Winter 2015 as the release date.
So I'm surprised it release this soon.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Steam version unlocks tomorrow, but if you pre-ordered from their website, they just emailed it to everyone earlier with all the goodies as well.

I am thinking of making some RPG Maker community topic as talked about, but will debate and make it tomorrow if so.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just got my pre order email! Excited to get to work tonight!

Steam version unlocks tomorrow, but if you pre-ordered from their website, they just emailed it to everyone earlier with all the goodies as well.

I am thinking of making some RPG Maker community topic as talked about, but will debate and make it tomorrow if so.

Do it! I would, but my junioring won't wear off another five months.

IceIpor

Just a warning if you're trying to use this on a old computer.
If you're running into problems trying to start it, make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.

I've noticed that even the main program/database triggers 3d mode on my video card, causing my video overlay programs to run on it.

I'm still keeping tabs on this.

Do it and link it to Indie Dev GAF. RPG Maker shouldn't still be considered the bastard of game development. The engine is only as good as the person using it (as we've also seen with Unity).

ZeroX03

Banned
Use it for a few hours. Pretty good, but it's still very much RPG Maker. Haven't tried iOS or Android export yet as they seem a little complicated and not just a push of a button, but the default JavaScript plugins work well. No bugs or crashes yet, although there's a translation error or two.

ZeroX03

Banned
So you haven't felt any real 'Oh yeah, this was well worth upgrading to' moments?

Yes and no.

Yes it's worth upgrading if you want fine control over engine elements and the ability to export to mobile. It's good if you're intending to sell your game and want a more professional product, although it's obviously still only an engine for very specific genres. For casual users, it's probably not worth upgrading when there's less resources and scripts and they don't need the backend elements. To me the "it was worth the upgrade" moment was resolution control, but for a casual that probably doesn't mean much.

kevm3

So you haven't felt any real 'Oh yeah, this was well worth upgrading to' moments?

It's pretty much still rpgmaker. If you've used ace, you've used this in many regards. They've reorganized a few things, there's now 3 layers by default, so tiles can overlap, etc. The best feature is probably the export to html5, so you can play your game in a browser. The character generator is a nice feature as well.

Is it worth the upgrade? If you're willing to do your own coding, sure. If you want a huge stack of resources out of the gate, it'll take a while for things to build up to what they were in ace.

ZeroX03

Banned
There's far less default database entries, I'll warn people now. Asset organization is a mess too, it just throws the RTP files into the project folder by default. It's not as beginner friendly compared to VX ACE. Apparently they couldn't translate it all in time.

If you know why you want to upgrade to MV, it's definitely worth it. If you're not sure what the big deal is, it's probably not yet for you.

kevm3

Some of the cooler features = being able to edit your project while the game is playing and built in mouse/touch support.

I'm sure the plug-in manager will be very useful when more and more scripts start coming out.

A couple questions:

1. Is the max resolution still limited at 816x624 pixels? Or is there a way to scale the resolution and keep the 48x48 sprites looking decent?

2. Specifically, what are the exclusive preorder resources and bonus plugins? It only lists Yanfly Engine 'P' and Luna Engine Lite.

IceIpor

A couple questions:

1. Is the max resolution still limited at 816x624 pixels? Or is there a way to scale the resolution and keep the 48x48 sprites looking decent?

2. Specifically, what are the exclusive preorder resources and bonus plugins? It only lists Yanfly Engine 'P' and Luna Engine Lite.

1. Yanfly has a plugin that lets you customize the resolution.

2. Cover Art Characters Pack
Essentials Set (Extra Music/Art)
RMWeb Plugins (3rd Party Plugins)
Kadokawa Plugins (Official Plugins)
Big Ole Bonus Pack (More Music/Art)

I am a hypocrite, I bought it for $71. Overall I quite like character generater and mobile controls. I wish there were more changes, but it seems solid enough. Going to start next week.

aett

Might be a dumb question, but does anyone know if I could install the program on a flash drive so I can run it on multiple PCs? That'll be the only way I'll have time to work on even the most basic RPG for the foreseeable future.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll get to work on the topic for an RPG Maker community thread, but my impressions after a few hours:

As been said, if you know RPG Maker VX Ace, you do already know a lot about this program. The lay-out is very similar, the icons look different and such, but if you're used to VX Ace, it's really easy to ease into it. It's basically VX Ace, but built on-top of.

So what's different? I'll go in order of what I noticed, and not what is important.

-The obvious comes that the default tilesize and screen resolution are bigger. 48x48 pixels, as opposed to 32x32, and 816x624 as opposed to 544x416 default.

-BUT, it's really easy to make whatever resolution. A lot easier than I expected, actually. You can change the tile-size to anything really, and the resolution to anything. So you could make 1080 x 1080 tiles, or 4k resolutions, if you really wanted too.

-Mouse and touch controls are well-implemented and a nice feature.

-Games now launch with a built-in options menu by default, easy enough to edit it and easy to make keyboard/gamepad configs on the options menu.

-Plugins are nicer than expected. Outside of Javascript being overall easier and more well-known, can now super easily turn plug-ins on and off with in-engine commands.

-Tiling is a LOT better now, by default you have multiple layers so you can take sprites and easily layer them over another, which is nice and makes mapping a lot easier now. You can layer the B, C, E, D, E, etc. tiles now, even from tiles from themselves. Can also easily make however many layers you like.

-You can now edit the game while you're testing it, which is nice.

-Games now by default unpack all the RTP assets into your game folder, but you can remove what you're not using as it doesn't require the whole RTP anymore, just what you're using.

-Audio has some cool new effects and can now easily save your position in music and stop it and then resume it. Sound effects can now play over each other infinitely instead of canceling each other for a new sound effect, and the fading seems better to me.

-Some 'event triggers' are MUCH better than they once were. For example, if you had an event chase you, it used to be very finicky with detection in VX Ace, but it's much smoother and simpler now. Also a lot easier now to get events to be able to walk on-top of other events, something that was more challenging to do in VX Ace by far.

-Tile triggers are now on the tilesheets, unseen numbered tiles to layer on other tiles that secretly trigger things.

There's other small things, and still adjusting to a few things, but what I've noticed so far. There's niceties and some things are easier than ever, and some new features seem like they will be very helpful in the long run, but it also definitely feels like VX Ace expanded and improved in areas than completely new. The biggest draw remains to be the multi-platform support the higher/customizable resolution and tile-size, as well as plugins being much easier to use and better implemented than scripting in VX Ace.

IceIpor

One nice feature: you're no longer default restricted to 5 equipment slots of whatever (i.e. weapon, shield, armor, head, accessory.).

You can make up to 99 equipment slots (Not that you'll ever reach that...).

Kalentan

Anyone know if there is a plugin that corrects enemy positions? Cause I'm using 1920 x 1080 and I have a plugin that corrects actor positions but there is none to correct enemy positions.

Kyuur

Downloading trial to determine if it'll be worth it to migrate my small project from VX Ace to MV. Hopefully it impresses!

Anyone know what trial restrictions are yet? Can I load scripts?

Anyone know if there is a plugin that corrects enemy positions? Cause I'm using 1920 x 1080 and I have a plugin that corrects actor positions but there is none to correct enemy positions.

If YanFly's default reposition isn't what you want, try editting the 'Sprite_Enemy' section in YEP_CoreEngine.js. Specifically, you'll want to modify this._homeX, probably subtracting a value to get them further left.

Have you tried to re-position them manually in the editor? Or do they not move enough in the direction you want even with that?

Kalentan

If YanFly's default reposition isn't what you want, try editting the 'Sprite_Enemy' section in YEP_CoreEngine.js. Specifically, you'll want to modify this._homeX, probably subtracting a value to get them further left.

Okay. I shall try that.

Have you tried to re-position them manually in the editor? Or do they not move enough in the direction you want even with that?

Nah, it only moves them in the default resolution positions. So you need a plugin to change it.

Top Bottom