• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker MV coming out October 23rd, Trailer, Browser Demo, & Pre-Order Live

legacyzero

Banned
Removing the stupid arbitrary limits is a big win, especially in regards to screen resolution. RPG Maker has always been a great and easy to use tool, so I really want to look into this.

RM XP was my jam back in the day.

BumRush

Sölf;180439108 said:
I have to add:
The project has never been finished and has been canceled by now. However, all of that has been done without coding, since it was done in RPG Maker 2000. And 2000 and 2003 don't have scripting, that was only implemented with XP and forward. So, yeah, even without coding you can do some incredible stuff.

And knowing nothing about coding, would MV still be user-friendly?

HolyJonte

This looks really fun. My God it's expensive though? What exactly justifies the $80 price tag? The pre-made art/sound assets or is it more so for being a platform that can execute HTML5?

I think it's quite cheap. It could've cost more for me.

Thats a good problem to have hehe..

Yeah but you lost your interest in the game if you make all by your self and the project is too big, somewhere you will want to start to do other things in your life too. I never have finished any projects except for funny games for my friends.

When talking about funny random RPG Maker games, this is perfect example of an easy to make disturbing fun game you can make for your friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KD7m-giIsk

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thats a good problem to have hehe..

Anyone knows if you can record your own voice and use them in the game when characters talk to the player, I might try creating a very simple game for my 5 year old.

You most certainly can, I used voice acting in a small RPG Maker game I released on Steam recently, the voices in the trailers are in the game (though I used an effect with my voice): http://store.steampowered.com/app/377330/

legacyzero

Banned
RPG Makers never need code, and usually, after a few years of being on the market, SOMEBODY has coded it, and made it available for you to use.

RPG Makers are about creating a series of EVENTS that read in lamens. I was using it as a teenager.

vareon

This looks really fun. My God it's expensive though? What exactly justifies the $80 price tag? The pre-made art/sound assets or is it more so for being a platform that can execute HTML5?

You can use this to create and sell a full-scaled RPG that, depending on the effort, might exceed the quality of SNES or even PS era RPGs without any other licensing fees. And it's multi-platform, too, not to mention as far as game creation software go it's extremely easy to use. $80 is cheap compared to similar software, IMO.

Sölf

I haven't worked with MV yet. Basically, RPG Maker works like this:

You have the whole scripting aspect, which allows you to (easily) change core features or implement things.
However, much can be done with events, which have some basic stuff like If/Then/Else, branches, variables etc. Like the Database you mainly work with predefined options there. It may take a bit to get used to, but after some work it's definitly not hard to use.

Kalentan

Sölf;180445286 said:
I haven't worked with MV yet. Basically, RPG Maker works like this:

You have the whole scripting aspect, which allows you to (easily) change core features or implement things.
However, much can be done with events, which have some basic stuff like If/Then/Else, branches, variables etc. Like the Database you mainly work with predefined options there. It may take a bit to get used to, but after some work it's definitly not hard to use.

Hell, I once made an menu system in RPG Maker vx ace without using script but using a single event. So events can be powerful.

MrHoot

SIDE VIEW BATTLE IS BACK?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

That sounds neat. As a dev i really like what's been happening with RPG maker lately. I've dabbled with almost all of them but always thought each iteration had a little something missing (I hope MV doesn't also remove good stuff from previous ones)

Also HTML5 and phone supporti s pretty big

HolyJonte

RPG Maker Web Facebook page: "RPG Maker MV will come with resources for both Fantasy AND Sci-fi settings, right out of the box! ‪#‎MVPreview‬"

12096550_913928015309198_4807480586707128405_n.png

really cool!

Dusk Golem

RPG Maker Web Facebook page: "RPG Maker MV will come with resources for both Fantasy AND Sci-fi settings, right out of the box! ‪#‎MVPreview‬"

12096550_913928015309198_4807480586707128405_n.png

really cool!

I was guessing that from the cat browser demo game I posted last page, but food to have confirmation. Though I'll be using all original art
doodles
assets anyways.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Damn, I've been RM'ing since '95 and I have yet to actually finish a game with it.. I got pretty into my VX one but stopped working on it a few years ago now.. maybe I'll poke around with MV.

The scripts in theory should be able to be "ported" if you know the Ruby->Javascript conversion/wording.

It's stupid they don't allow both since Ruby can be used for Web Development in a fashion and is "Plain English" for most new coders to learn. But... *shrug*

atbigelow

The scripts in theory should be able to be "ported" if you know the Ruby->Javascript conversion/wording.

It's stupid they don't allow both since Ruby can be used for Web Development in a fashion and is "Plain English" for most new coders to learn. But... *shrug*

No way. It's not stupid at all; JS is the hottest language right now and Ruby doesn't run in the browser. They wouldn't be able to do as easy of a cross-platform export using Ruby.

And no programming language is in "plain english". Especially Ruby:

key.each { | k, v |
if ct == 8 then
print "\n "
ct = 0
else
print ", "
end
ct = ct + 1
print "#{v} => #{k}"
}
Unless you're a machine.

pislit

Are you in SEA? Otherwise, no.
I'm just going to assume you're in the US or Europe, so the cheapest you can buy that's not region locked is from Norway. It's $58.

I'm not seeing the usual "can't trade this shit to other regions other than Thailand, etc. etc.", will investigate further.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No way. It's not stupid at all; JS is the hottest language right now and Ruby doesn't run in the browser. They wouldn't be able to do as easy of a cross-platform export using Ruby.

You're right: I'm thinking of Ruby-on-Rails and not Ruby proper. Still, it's weird they keep jumping different languages each version change. Anyway:

And no programming language is in "plain english". Especially Ruby:

Unless you're a machine.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I can parse that far easier and faster than Javascript's conventions at times. That's not to say that learning Javascript for beginners isn't useful (Nor it not having a near "plain English" kids book) but if you're looking at Javascript and then looking at Ruby: It's a bit easier (IMO) to parse Ruby into English faster than Javascript/to "learn" faster.

atbigelow

You're right: I'm thinking of Ruby-on-Rails and not Ruby proper. Still, it's weird they keep jumping different languages each version change. Anyway:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I can parse that far easier and faster than Javascript's conventions at times. That's not to say that learning Javascript for beginners isn't useful (Nor it not having a near "plain English" kids book) but if you're looking at Javascript and then looking at Ruby: It's a bit easier (IMO) to parse Ruby into English faster than Javascript/to "learn" faster.

They've had Ruby since RPG Maker XP, which was released back in 2004. I was also a bit stunned they left Ruby, but it made complete sense once their goal was to have an HTML5 export.

And I don't want to start a language war here about Ruby vs. JS. I just wanted to rag on the "plain english" comment. I'm a Python guy myself, so I do like english operators.

I think they'll garner a lot more traction with JS than Ruby, though.

bomblord1

Banned
No language can really be read by someone who hasn't at least had a basic explanation of it or a basic understanding of programming languages. Personally I find JavaScript easier to read and write.

pislit

Notice: Gift purchases for RPG Maker MV can only be added to the gift recipient's library if they are in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore or Thailand.

Welp, cannot gift it out of SEA.

Dusk Golem

VX Ace DLC won't be able to be just put into an MV folder and work, but conversion probably wouldn't be too difficult (either you'd have to change the tile size with Javascript or upscale or center the sprites with smaller characters, though), but legally you'd be fine (since the legality is that you uses these only for RPG Maker and the companies projects, and that includes older and newer versions of RPG Maker).

Kalentan

Graphically most stuff won't work unless you upscale it as all assets are 1.5x now. Music will work, I think you're allowed to use it across multiple RPG Makers but would check before doing so.

VX Ace DLC won't be able to be just put into an MV folder and work, but conversion probably wouldn't be too difficult (either you'd have to change the tile size with Javascript or upscale or center the sprites with smaller characters, though), but legally you'd be fine (since the legality is that you uses these only for RPG Maker and the companies projects, and that includes older and newer versions of RPG Maker).

That doesn't sound too bad.

kevm3

I really wish the program had some native graphics program built in to create tiles.

In regards to Ruby scripts, there are Ruby to Javascript transpilers. How effectively that will work in RPGMaker is another matter.

Boogiepop

So wait, if the main site gives a normal download and a Steam code for preordering, could I share this with a friend? We've been planning a project together and would potentially like to switch over to this, but it's kind of hard to stomach having each of us need to buy the program...

Dusk Golem

Some misc RPG Maker MV things from the internet from the last few days:

-One of the plugins that will be available on release will be to change the tilesize to 32x32, the size RPG Maker VX Ace uses, in cases you want to use assets/work on a previous project in MV.

-Here's a preview of the new character generator:
11221806_913195728715760_2808627766591107139_o.png

-Audio formats supported by default for MV are .m4a and .ogg (though likely be plugins to support other formats as well).

-Here's a map someone was working on in MV:
12107782_915572625144737_871318184633232523_n.jpg

-Unlike previous RPG Makers, there will be an option not to include the RTP with games, and games without the RTP will still run (as long as all the assets you use for your project are in your asset files).

-The VX Ace to MV converter will be a plugin for RPG Maker VX Ace to convert things to MV format, though it will not port scripts and you'll manually have to rework some resources, like sprites (either to resize them accordingly or to set the MV tile-size to 32x32).

-Apparently this will be the first RPG Maker where you can edit and play-test at the same time, so you can go to the editor and make changes you spot while also play-testing the game.

---

Two weeks until release~

-Unlike previous RPG Makers, there will be an option not to include the RTP with games, and games without the RTP will still run (as long as all the assets you use for your project are in your asset files).
You could do that with rpg maker 2k (launch the game without the default assets) but i remember that you needed quite a bit of testing to prevent crashes.

Some misc RPG Maker MV things from the internet from the last few days:

-One of the plugins that will be available on release will be to change the tilesize to 32x32, the size RPG Maker VX Ace uses, in cases you want to use assets/work on a previous project in MV.

-Here's a preview of the new character generator:
11221806_913195728715760_2808627766591107139_o.png

-Audio formats supported by default for MV are .m4a and .ogg (though likely be plugins to support other formats as well).

-Here's a map someone was working on in MV:
12107782_915572625144737_871318184633232523_n.jpg

-The VX Ace to MV converter will be a plugin for RPG Maker VX Ace to convert things to MV format, though it will not port scripts and you'll manually have to rework some resources, like sprites (either to resize them accordingly or to set the MV tile-size to 32x32).

-Apparently this will be the first RPG Maker where you can edit and play-test at the same time, so you can go to the editor and make changes you spot while also play-testing the game.

---

Two weeks until release~

Everything i see looks great really , any chance to have more preview of the sprite customisation ?

teiresias

Does this still use Ruby for lower-level scripting if you want to do that? I got a couple of the other RPG Makers on sale from somewhere - maybe a Steam Sale - but never really used them. They used Ruby and I was going to use that as an excuse to learn it (just to learn something new), but never had time. If Ruby is still used in this one that makes it a bit better because I know it will still be valid and useful.

Oh my... this would have saved me so much time. I used to use a notepad to jot down stuff as I did playthroughs.

Unai

Does this still use Ruby for lower-level scripting if you want to do that? I got a couple of the other RPG Makers on sale from somewhere - maybe a Steam Sale - but never really used them. They used Ruby and I was going to use that as an excuse to learn it (just to learn something new), but never had time. If Ruby is still used in this one that makes it a bit better because I know it will still be valid and useful.

Javascript

HolyJonte

I've read every thread on all forums, seen all videos from MV news and discussions and have'nt read about this anywhere... Are you sure? That's soooo awesome!!!

Edit: Never mind, found the comment and proof from ARCHEIA on MV's Steam site.

BTA

As someone who's been wanting to mess around with RPGM for a while, this sounds amazing. I'm not sure it'd be worth it to jump in at that price, though. Maybe it'd be best to use one of the previous versions (I have a few from the various bundles) and then convert it to MV later if I find myself with something I'm happy enough with to be worth the $80 for having multiple platforms and such? Though I wonder how hard that'd be at that point, hmm.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I would love to grab this, but I'm tempted to wait for a Humble Bundle that includes MV + a shit ton of official add-on/DLC packs like they did with whatever the current one is.

It's slightly odd that so much of this stuff is hidden in plugins. If they knew there was demands for this stuff, why not integrate it directly in the interface?

ZeroX03

Banned
Pre-ordered my copy today and activated it on Steam!

I wish it could just add the RTP assets you need to the executable and leave out the rest without you having to manually keep track. I wouldn't use most of the stuff but the animations and icons would probably be used.

I would love to grab this, but I'm tempted to wait for a Humble Bundle that includes MV + a shit ton of official add-on/DLC packs like they did with whatever the current one is.

They mentioned that it's very unlikely it'll see any kind of price drop for 6+ months, if that would change your mind. The pre-order discount and goodies stopped me from waiting.

It's slightly odd that so much of this stuff is hidden in plugins. If they knew there was demands for this stuff, why not integrate it directly in the interface?

Because they have little interest in making this an actual game development engine. The potential is there, but they seem fine just letting scripters handle that stuff. Removing all the arbitrary limits and switching to js solves most of the major issues anyway. There's a big fan base that just likes using the RTP and the character generator and making their own personal little fantasies rather than a professional product. There was a lot of excitement over the cover art characters getting sprites on the forums.

Letting Yanfly beta test and get a head start is amazing though. Looks like some great tools will be available at launch.

I'm really tempted to jump on this, the last time I finished a project was on RPG Maker 2003 in 2004, I had a lot of fun with it though.

I've also screwed around with every version to a degree. I was meaning to make something with VX, but I might just wait for MV.

kevm3

The scripting thing opens up a ton of possibilities. I hope someone makes a script to make it easier to export graphics into the game.

ZeroX03

Banned
The scripting thing opens up a ton of possibilities. I hope someone makes a script to make it easier to export graphics into the game.

Scripts can't affect the engine like that, just the game :(

For example you can switch back to 32x32 graphics but the editor will remain 48x48 and you'll have to keep that in mind. I think most graphic management will remain the same.

Top Bottom