• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTG: Final Fantasy VIII

Raonak

Banned
My favourite FF game, but also the first one I played, (but second finished, i finished FF7 first) Absolutely love the art design and the world. It's such an awesome blend of east and west design.

I'd love if they re-released this but got rid of the junction system. The junction system is so exploitable.

The junction being so exploitable is what makes it so fun through. You can break the game to become super easy, or grind to lv100 at the start, or tackle the system in many ways.

My favourite FF game, but also the first one I played, (but second finished, i finished FF7 first) Absolutely love the art design and the world. It's such an awesome blend of east and west design.

The junction being so exploitable is what makes it so fun through. You can break the game to become super easy, or grind to lv100 at the start, or tackle the system in many ways.

^ This exactly.

FF8 also happens to be my favourite FF of all time, and I really enjoy the junction system. Once you figure it out, I think it's amazing.
The junction system allows the player to customize the difficulty level of the game to their liking, without there being actual "difficulty settings" that some gamers seem to get pissy and defensive about for no justifiable reason.
I also just like that it was something different tbh.

PixelatedBookake

Imma let you finish, but I just gotta say Lion Heart is the GREATEST LIMIT BREAK OF ALL TIME

tumblr_nam7z7019A1qb5qxmo1_500.gif

kromeo

Anyway, one thing that bothered me that nobody seems to mention: halfway through the game someone says "You guys know monsters come from the moon, right?" and your party just kinda nods like yeah, that's just a thing everyone knows. This drove me bonkers: I the player did not know that! I had just accepted that monsters were around. So if you're gonna give us the monster origin story, either include it early (so it's just part of the introductory worldbuilding) or make it an actual reveal! Not just a throwaway "oh yeah, moon monsters?" "yeah, we all know that: what's your point?"

Am I crazy for thinking that bit was terrible?

I did know already but only because it's mentioned in the information part of the menu somewhere

Skulldead

I think the fact that the game is so easy make the exploitable way less fun. A much harder difficulty would probably make exploitable much easier to diggest. Like DIsgaea work around that, make the game easy to exploit, then find a way to exploit it to success. FFVIII didn't use that... it's just make it easy and no fun to explore these broken mechanic. Just my opinion

Widge

Anyway, one thing that bothered me that nobody seems to mention: halfway through the game someone says "You guys know monsters come from the moon, right?" and your party just kinda nods like yeah, that's just a thing everyone knows. This drove me bonkers: I the player did not know that! I had just accepted that monsters were around. So if you're gonna give us the monster origin story, either include it early (so it's just part of the introductory worldbuilding) or make it an actual reveal! Not just a throwaway "oh yeah, moon monsters?" "yeah, we all know that: what's your point?"

Am I crazy for thinking that bit was terrible?

No, I remember reading about it through in game mechanics somewhere. Doesn't it mirror an older FF in that respect too?

Top Bottom