• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: 10 thoughts on Super Mario Bros 3

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
My wife and I replayed through SMB3 on the NES Classic, taking turns passing the controller on deaths. She owned the game as a kid but never finished it. I remember the day that I got the game for Christmas a kid, and I beat it as a kid. I think the last time I replayed it through 100% was back in HS (I'm 32 now) so here's some thoughts as a long time fan:

1. The OST has memorable tunes, but damn its repetitive. I can think of a dozen other NES games with better OSTs.

2. Damn World 7 was tough! This game really expects you to have mastered a lot of skills up to that point. I appreciated the challenge.

3. That ending! LOL wow. I don't remember being disappointed as a kid in it, but it sure as hell was a lot of nothing. My wife LOL'd "That's it?". Yup, thanks for playing and here's the name of the lands (I thought they were worlds... doesn't the game call them "Worlds"?)

4. The game has some devious level design at times, especially in W7-W8 where there's some "Gacha" type of moments, the kind of stuff you saw in Mega Man 1. I ddidn't remember all that.

5. There were more enemies than I remembered that were in this game, that you never see again in the Mario series, even in the weird spin-off games. Like those weird plant/clam chomping enemies. For all the enemies they include later in the series, there's a lot here you only see in SMB3 and never again.

6. I LOVE the vertical scrolling levels, my favorite type of levels in Mario Maker. Playing this makes me want to fire up Mario Maker and do some vertical scrollers!

7. The Koopa Kid boss fighters were usually kind of challenging and fun. Bowser wasn't. And that stupid mid-castle boss you fight over and over again, he was boring. I know bosses aren't this series strong suit, but they got better at them in Mario Galaxy and 3D World.

8. I think New Super Mario U is a better game and an improvement as a whole on the 2D formula. I understand the place SMB3 has in gaming history and I appreciate it, but yeah. Not my favorite Mario game outside of nostalgia reasons.

9. The levels are really short, sometimes we were like "That's it!?". Later Mario games really got long in comparison to this.

10. My wife never finished Super Mario World. I want to convince her to do that next, but also she's never played Kirby's Adventure. I think she may like that.

... I hope this convinced some to go back and give this classic a replay. It's still pretty fun and the level design is of course, real good. It will make you realize that a lot of Super Mario Maker completely suck and this will give you appreciation that that there's real delliberate, intelligent level design in video games.

Top Bottom