• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Assassin's Creed Unity

AC Unity is...

• Total voters

Strider311

With AC Valhalla on the horizon, I felt like going back to revisit some of the older AssCreed games. Most recently I've been working my way through Unity again. It has always seemed to be that this game unfairly recieved a bad rap. Admittedly, the console versions ran a bit sluggish and chunky, but I was fortunate enough to have a PC that could run it smoothly. Now all these years later, I have an even beefier rig and I must say that this game is an absolute looker.

More importantly, the setting and story are simply fantastic. To my recollection, it is one of the best, most espionage-tinged stories in the series. And gameplay-wise, it was the first game in the series to actually incorporate proper stealth mechanics that worked consistantly. You never had to rely on walking into conveniently placed shrubbery to hide.

That said, what say you? Am I delusional and this game actually sucks? (It doesn't.)

ay630c7.jpg

vBJcmmt.jpg

Last edited:

SinDelta

Also playing through it. Beautiful game. Paris is insane, the level of detail is nuts.

As great as Origins is, Ubisoft should have been incorporating the combat and stealth mechanics from Unity as the benchmark standard for future Assassins Creed titles.

Combat and variety of gear and weapons is sublime.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I played through it about 1 year ago and thought it was pretty good. The map was filled with icon garbage which was annoying. Combat was a decent change from previous titles, and weapon variety was fantastic.

Most characters were forgettable though, but I didn't mind the story overall. The city is fun, detailed, and has decent variety. In the end I enjoyed it more than Black Flag, and about the same as Syndicate.

Nico_D

I definitely enjoyed my time with it. City was fun to navigate with the series best parkour. I liked Arno though he isn't as deep as Ezio but then again, no AC main character has been.

Story started really well but I felt like it somewhat lost its focus around mission 8-9 and then found it again at the end.

Tried playing the dlc but didn't like that. The city was ugly and uninteresting compared to Paris.

I would put Unity to the top of AC games with AC2 and Brotherhood.

Tschumi

AC Unity is, like, at the moment my 3rd or 4th favourite AC title. Ahead of Odyssey, possibly ahead of Origins, ahead of Black Flag. I love the graphics, love the city, rate the storyline (I don't exactly come to AC looking for top-of-the-range story, it's functional and I like this entry) I only came to it late, so I've no problems with instability or bugs! Love it.

bargeparty

I enjoyed my time with it because during release on ps4, but i fired it up on pc the either day and while I didn't make it to Paris, the game doesn't look as good as people make it out to look. It has good baked lightning and internal sections, but everything is marred by terrible draw distances and horrible pop-in that they never seemed to fix.

Skyfox

Loved the game but seriously, does "easy mode" fucking mean anything?

A few times I just straight got stuck with some scenarios in a way I never have with other AC games.

I replayed one section so many times I just gave up. Shame.

If someone wants a challenge let them play fucking normal or hard. I've a lot of responsibilities in life and I can't dedicate days to one small area. I want to progress.

I keep missing 3/4 of my games because devs don't know what easy means and they don't care.

sobaka770

Banned
It's a solid middle-of-the-road Assassin's Creed game. It's neither an underrated gem nor a piece of trash garbage.

It was piece of trash garbage at release and still is if you get it on consoles. Poor performance, LOD distance, freezes, framerate drops etc.. It's much better on a modern PC where you can make it run at 60 and look gorgeous at higher settings. Unity still has the most asinine amount of collectibles and pointless chests scattered across the map as well as useless coop missions and social app integration garbage.

The gameplay is not revolutional either, it's a slight improvement on previous gen but not sufficient enough to break the formula. Traversal is good, combat is ok, story is meh. Arno is a dull prtoagonist and the revolutionary backdrop vs personal drama angle never gels into a cohesive story.

The main argument from Unity-lovers is that the game the most graphically advanced and ahead-of-its-time, it's "bold". Partially it's true, however the compromises to get global illumination and increased crowd sized in my opinion were not necessarily worth it. LOD plain sucks, characters pop-in within meters away into new clothes, buildings a few meters away can get blurry textures instead of high-res, it's a mess and it happens all the time, the day/night cycle is non-existent. All the immersion gained by these compromises is gone as you walk through the city and something truly ugly happens every minute or so.

I like Unity OK, but Syndicate with its better protagonists, balanced usage of graphical power of then-new-gen consoles, music is a much stronger game in my opinion.

Kadayi

Banned
Honestly AC Unity broke me. Not because of the bugs, but simply the icon spam, and pointless busy work. It all got too much. I got about 10 hours in and just noped the fuck out of out of it. Didn't even bother with Syndicate. I did recently pick up Origins and Odyssey during the Steam sale, but have yet to get into either of them.

Positives:
  • Great setting and atmosphere.
  • Absolutely the best Assassin's Creed have ever looked even surpassing the majestic beauty of Origins sands and pyramids.
  • Nice looking weapons and armor.
  • Overall good mission design.
  • Best stealth in the classic AC's.
  • Some nice music tracks.
  • Arno and Elise have good chemistry together and are the best characters by far.
Negatives:
  • Contextual hidden blade actions was a HUGE mistake and Ubi realized this because they never did it again.
  • The story and any characters besides the two main leads was meh at best.
  • The ending was underwhelmeling and you could see it a mile away.
  • DLC didn't fix any of the main story's problems.
  • No interesting villains.
  • Current day segments were awful if not the worst.
  • Blocking some missions and rewards behind MP was an absoultely stupid design choice.
Syndicate ass an improvement in every regard except graphics, while also introducing it's own problems and being the franchise low point.

Origins was a MUCH needed refresh and breathed new life into AC while distancing it self and it's sub series from the confinements of the Assassin/Templar storylines and animations based combat system.

I highly recommended watching The GDC talk of Assassin's Creed Origins.

Last edited:

Rikkori

To me the gameplay is nowhere near as fun as Origins & Odyssey and the graphics are mediocre at best compared to how awful the pop-in is & its other weaknesses. It's a shame the gorgeous assets they meticulously created are served as low-res low-detail versions that get completely wasted. There's a next-gen Unity remake in there which could be awesome. As it stands I feel no compulsion to play it.

Valentino

I highly recommended watching The GDC talk of Assassin's Creed Origins.

Everything he said - I understood - I'm guessing that's why Origins is one of my favorites. I want to see a presentation like this, but about Odyssey............. because everything that guy says in the video doesn't apply to Odyssey I feel. When he spoke about respecting the brand...... I didn't feel that with Odyssey. I want to like Odyssey so much - it's world deserves it - but that game and what I've seen from Valhalla push me away a bit

Stuart360

Played the game the other week, first time in a few years, and i was surprised how average it looks now. Sure anything close to the player still looks good, but the draw distance, in terms of detail, is shocking. No wonder its so much easier to run now than Origins and Odyssey.

Laptop1991

i played a bit of the game last week, it's the only one i haven't played so far, it runs well and looks good on my pc, i prefer the climbing to the previous games, but i'm not hooked or into it just yet.

To me the gameplay is nowhere near as fun as Origins & Odyssey and the graphics are mediocre at best compared to how awful the pop-in is & its other weaknesses. It's a shame the gorgeous assets they meticulously created are served as low-res low-detail versions that get completely wasted. There's a next-gen Unity remake in there which could be awesome. As it stands I feel no compulsion to play it.

What's funny is that your comment talks about your heavy dislike for this game(which is fine) but the video you link essentially douses the game in praise.

Last edited:

Rikkori

What's funny is that your comment talks about your heavy dislike for this game(which is fine) but the video you link essentially douses the game in praise.
There's obviously subjectivity involved, I have no problem acknowledging when people see it differently and I can even understand how & why, but still come to a different conclusion myself. I simply felt that the video offered a well reasoned take on the game.

martino

this game was so fine one year later when i did it.
it definitely brought me back into the license for syndicate
going more rpg and more open is also something i liked (and exploration mode is really a step in the right direction in odyssey)
it's sad ubi is not doing thing the nintendo way pushing both formulas

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
This was the game that single-handedly fucked AC for me. I played everything, saw everything movie, read everything AC, etc. Until this game came out. It just took a warm runny shit on my chest and fucked the entire franchise for me. I haven't regained my love for it since despite me beating Syndicate and putting in like 30 hours into Origins.

Andodalf

Banned
Great Game, I really, really, hope it gets a miracle out of nowhere patch for next gen.

The Black Box style assassinations were the ultimate fulfillment of the promise of AC1 assassinations, and it had the crowd size to match the AC1 trailer! On top of that, Paris is basically the fulfillment of the ideas of Rome and Constantinople.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I actually liked the game better then the newer games, the world got bigger with more stuff to do but it still feels like the series went backwards after Unity

DJT123

It's such a beautiful game and its movement physics are so accurate. Ubisoft just struggle to put the whole package together at times. The story, characters, & pacing just well flat.

wipeout364

I really liked this game despite all the crap it got. For my money it was a way better experience than syndicate or origins(after the patches to unity of course). Black Flag still might be my favorite ( I haven’t played every game).

Decent gameplay, decent story, decent main missions, but too buggy, lack of ambient music and day/night cycle kills exploration in an otherwise beautiful map, average cast of characters and they when way overboard on shit side content and garbage like collectibles and lockpicking.

Not the worst AC game, but certainly one of my least favorites.

Last edited:
I really dug how they took the Hitman approach to assassinations and how depending on the smaller stuff before the target, could make your mission easier or harder or reward you with with unique kills. Very underrated and should absolutely be played on PC with mid level hardware for a stellar experience.

Top Bottom