• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Pacific Rim (blu ray edition) ERUBOWU ROKEETTTTTTOOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
a.k.a. Big O's BYE BYE PUNCH

pacific-rim-06.gif

People always say the plasma gun or the nuclear blast/BURESTO FAYAH! is the Gipsy Danger's iconic moves, but that one really stick to me. I love me some rocket-boosted punches. And yeah, as I said before, Gipsy Danger reminded me more of The Big O than Mazinger Z, although the design actually reminds me more of Walker Galia from Xabungle.

TOY-RBT-0212.jpg

Anyway, love the film. Shame Raleigh trumps Kamina as the most bland robot pilot to date, and as much as I like Mako, she didn't really did much in the film. With that said the action is top notch, the visuals are so good, and I kinda wish we saw the other Jaegers do some fighting rather than being relegated to Zaku-levels of mookdom.

What irks me is how apparently people think the kaijuu (no, I refuse to spell them as Kaiju) are "references" to Evangelion. Not to sound like a toku snob (welp, too late) but they're all big references to Ultraman if anything (hell, that lobster monster thingie reminded me of the iconic Baltan, the first enemy of Ultraman). Hell, from what I recall Anno was inspired by Ultraman. So there you go, you silly Eva people!

BaltanIIEp16.png

So the sequel is in the works right? How would they handle it? G Gundam style fights? I'm in that.

Also I wish the movie got represented in Super Robot Wars. I know it's farfetched, but hey!

Or maybe an Ultraman crossover! One of the members of the Jaeger project is secretly harboring an Ultra being!

Boss Doggie

And it's not like The Big O doesn't have a chest cannon. I mean, it's even called Final Stage!

Evilisk

It was a decent movie.

I really enjoyed it on my first watch, and then I found it was actually a lot more boring on the rewatch for some reason.

The fights were really fun to watch. And Gypsy Danger is a hilariously awesome name.

Though it really sucked that all the other Jaegers got wrecked, especially the Triplets and their Jaeger.

I wouldn't mind watching a sequel to be honest. I'm actually not too sure where they'd take a sequel though.

I mean, they can make more Jaegers theoretically but since they think they succeeded, would they still really get the funding for them?

Ken

Too bad that as far as jaeger representation goes, Gypsy Danger was the Iron Man of the movie.

Boss Doggie

It was a decent movie.

I really enjoyed it on my first watch, and then I found it was actually a lot more boring on the rewatch for some reason.

The fights were really fun to watch. And Gypsy Danger is a hilariously awesome name.

Though it really sucked that all the other Jaegers got wrecked, especially the Triplets and their Jaeger.

I wouldn't mind watching a sequel to be honest. I'm actually not too sure where they'd take a sequel though.

I mean, they can make more Jaegers theoretically but since they think they succeeded, would they still really get the funding for them?

Bread and circuses plot

Kaijuu problem is eradicated, but the whole world is too lazy to rebuild, so JAEGER FIGHTS WOOO!

Spiders

Saw it a couple of weeks ago, and contrary to my expectations I really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to the inevitable sequel.

SJRB

Gold Member
When I rewatch it I only watch the Hong Kong scene, by far the best scene in the movie. The finale is cool as well.

So the sequel is in the works right? How would they handle it? G Gundam style fights? I'm in that.

Have them go back to building more Jaeger's since the Wall Of Life obviously doesn't work with that one Kaiju breaking through it and that other Kaiju having wings.

Maybe they could do some thing where 3 Jaeger's can become one huge mega Jaeger?

Oh and outfit all the Jaeger's with swords and shields.

Evilisk

Elbow rocket the iconic move? Hell no. One word:

S W O R D

Yes. Somehow, the sword manages to be the most hype move for me. If this were any other robot movie I would have found it lame and cheesy but it was actually pretty awesome here.

Boat-stick gets an honorable mention and so does the Crimsoon Typhoon's mid-air-leg-change toss.

I think the bits I like best are when Gypsy picks up the shipping crates and uses them to smash the Kaiju in the face, and when it picks up the boat the uses it as a club. I love the complete lack of logic; how these hollow metal shells would somehow be more effective than its fist which probably weighs dozens of tons.

But yeah, awesome film. Completely shallow, predictable and the characters are paper-thin, but wonderfully entertaining all the same.

Boss Doggie

Apparently Masami Obari (one of the prolific mecha designers) likes it and Go Nagai (dat Mazinger man) recommends it.

Cool battles but wow, the acting SUCKED in this movie. It wasn't even funny.

The chief was pretty good. It's the rest that suck.

Wurst

Is there a gif of the two scientists having that awkward handshake?
Remember being completely taken aback by this before laughing :)

nullset2

Fights and action scenes rule very hard. Plot and script are shit. Characters are laughable Wollyhood triteness (except Mako, but she didn't really do much anyway).

I'm down to watch it a second time.

Elbow rocket the iconic move? Hell no. One word:

S W O R D

YES HYPE HYPE HYPE. Loved that scene to death :D

Carbonox

The action scenes and special effects make sitting through the horrendous cast and story absolutely bearable.

Film looks stunning on Blu-Ray. So much fun.

JCX

My favorite movie of the year. It isn't; for everyone, but Pacific Rim is the movie I always wanted, but never bothered wishing for because I never thought we'd see a big-budget American giant robot movie.

Boss Doggie

I mention elbow rocket because swords are pretty common in giant robot nowadays and the elbow rocket is pretty unqiue (normally it'd be a projectile).

With that said the sword is really cool.

Hope the godzilla movie does well and we end up getting Jaegers vs 'Zilla

Or maybe Jaegers + 'Zilla vs Ghidorah

Naw, need to team up with Ultraman

jey_16

Banned
I watched this again for the first time since seeing it in the cinemas....can't believe how awful that middle sequence is with no action. Just so bad and almost ruins the whole film. Cut that bit out and its great

rexor0717

TOY-RBT-0212.jpg

Anyway, love the film. Shame Raleigh trumps Kamina as the most bland robot pilot to date, and as much as I like Mako, she didn't really did much in the film. With that said the action is top notch, the visuals are so good, and I kinda wish we saw the other Jaegers do some fighting rather than being relegated to Zaku-levels of mookdom.

Now just hold on a fucking second!

Nokterian

LTTP i bought it yesterday on Blu Ray. AND OH MY GOD BIG ASS ROBOTS HITTING BIG ASS MONSTERS IN THE FACE! I loved it, the art and neon lights in tokyo gave that vibe from Gundam and other stuff but man i should have seen in theaters. So far my favorite this year for sure!

Boss Doggie

The sequel could actually work well with a different protagonist. Since Raleigh and Mako's story is over, the new one could take on another protagonist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom