• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Pacific Rim (blu ray edition) ERUBOWU ROKEETTTTTTOOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Best movie of all time. Better effects than Avatar. LOVE IT.

I've been wanting to watch this film for so long. I was waiting for the price to go down on iTunes.

Edit: lucky day! I went on eBay just now and won an auction for Pacific Rim on bluray + bonus features for $11.50! I always lose at auctions too.

Say, how did the movie go btw? Did it tank?

Either broke even or made a little money.

$101 million US
$305 international

$200 million budget, marketing was scaled back big in the US release week. Some reported about $50 million for the marketing.

So if we assume the good old 50% take from overseas and put it with the domestic, the movie probably broke even.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It crossed 400 million at the box office worldwide. The budget was under 200 million.
Either broke even or made a little money.

$101 million US
$305 international

$200 million budget, marketing was scaled back big in the US release week. Some reported about $50 million for the marketing.

So if we assume the good old 50% take from overseas and put it with the domestic, the movie probably broke even.

Delicious.

Seems like they actually got mecha funding.

Boss Doggie

Bumping because fanart.

Leave it to Japan to make awesome fanart (click the image for source).

Also, Super Jaeger Wars whose source/artist I can't find

0b27ae22c5277a97ae34e5ablz.jpg

Enjoyed it more whilst watching on Blu-ray with friends. Still think there is a ton of issues with the movie but i'm looking forward to any sequel.

sfedai0

Banned
Cant wait for my BD to arrive. Take note Japanese filmakers. This is how you should do a live action mecha movie.

WillyFive

Cant wait for my BD to arrive. Take note Japanese filmakers. This is how you should do a live action mecha movie.

Other than the CGI mechas and budget, this was essentially a Japanese live action mecha movie. Heck, Gipsy's sword attack is incredibly conservative compared to what they do all the time in Toku.

I watched this last week and hated it just as much as I hated the Hellboy films. It felt like I was watching a Power Rangers movie. It was so cheesy, boring and poorly acted that I fell asleep near the very end. The "scientists" were the only thing halfway decent in the whole film. I think you have to either really like Gozilla-type movies or be of a younger generation to have an affinity for Pacific Rim.

Very glad I didn't go to see this in the theater as I would have been pissed.

I don't know why but I thought this movie would be a lot more of a serious humans vs. monsters movie and have less of a cornball low budget kiddie flick feel. I was expecting something like a mix of Alien/Prometheus movies mixed with The Host and Cloverfield. I guess I was hoping this movie would be a lot more grounded in reality.

Pan's Labyrinth is still the only good movie Guillermo del Toro has directed.

Toxi

Banned
My family loves it and watched it again this Thanksgiving.

My biggest gripe about the film has nothing to do with the script or acting or whatever. It's that
Crimson Typhoon and Cherno motherfucking Alpha get so little screentime.

Boss Doggie

I don't know why but I thought this movie would be a lot more of a serious humans vs. monsters movie and have less of a cornball low budget kiddie flick feel. I was expecting something like a mix of Alien/Prometheus movies mixed with The Host and Cloverfield. I guess I was hoping this movie would be a lot more grounded in reality.

There's a reason why this kind of movie works - it's because it knows it's impossible to apply stuff like this with "realism" or "being grounded". Right off the bat the premise is already too out there. I'd argue even that among all of the similarly-themed titles this is more grounded (yes, more grounded than Evangelion).

Also Cloverfield is a bad monster movie.

Also Power Rangers movie got NOTHING on this. Even Sentai films aren't as well as this. /tokunerd

There's a reason why this kind of movie works - it's because it knows it's impossible to apply stuff like this with "realism" or "being grounded". Right off the bat the premise is already too out there. I'd argue even that among all of the similarly-themed titles this is more grounded (yes, more grounded than Evangelion).

Also Cloverfield is a bad monster movie.

Also Power Rangers movie got NOTHING on this.

I am a sucker for found footage movies so I really like Cloverfield . For me a movie like Cloverfield or even Starship Troopers as poorly acted as they are they have a lot more weight to them because you actually feel an impending sense of danger from the monsters. Pacific Rim was dull because it was just two giant things punching and biting each other repeatedly. When there is no sense of danger or mortality why do I care? I could forgive the bad acting in this film if they actually made me feel like it wasn't just a rubber CG world; even bad drama is better than no drama.

Boss Doggie

I am a sucker for found footage movies so I really like Cloverfield. For me a movie like Cloverfield or even Starship Troopers as poorly acted as they are have a lot more weight to them because you actually feel an impending sense of danger. Pacific Rim was dull because it was just two giant things punching and biting each other. When there is no sense of danger or mortality why do I care? I could forgive the bad acting in this film if they actually made me feel like it wasn't just a rubber CG world; even bad drama is better than no drama.

I couldn't stand Cloverfield because for a supposed "realistic"/"cam" recording of a monster, they act so unrealistic and more like moving cameramen than actual victims/bystanders.

Pacific Rim works because it knows what it's about - A mecha and a kaijuu fighting. And what are you talking about - they always show near death situations and pretty much killed every main character save a few in the film.

It was a decent movie.

I really enjoyed it on my first watch, and then I found it was actually a lot more boring on the rewatch for some reason.

The fights were really fun to watch. And Gypsy Danger is a hilariously awesome name.

Though it really sucked that all the other Jaegers got wrecked, especially the Triplets and their Jaeger.

I wouldn't mind watching a sequel to be honest. I'm actually not too sure where they'd take a sequel though.

I mean, they can make more Jaegers theoretically but since they think they succeeded, would they still really get the funding for them?
I agree.
I was watching the bluray and thinking to myself "this isn't as great as I remembered".

I couldn't stand Cloverfield because for a supposed "realistic"/"cam" recording of a monster, they act so unrealistic and more like moving cameramen than actual victims/bystanders.

Pacific Rim works because it knows what it's about - A mecha and a kaijuu fighting. And what are you talking about - they always show near death situations and pretty much killed every main character save a few in the film.

Well this is coming from someone who never heard the word "kaiju" before this movie and refers to mecha as robots. And it's not that I'm opposed to Asian monster movies because I really like The Host and the way they made you actually care about the characters.

The characters that died in Pacific Rim were so poorly developed, generic and introduced in such a cheeseball way that when they vanish from the screen you can hardly be expected to feel anything. Oh no the two generic ethnic character's robot got destroyed. Am I supposed to feel sad or shocked at that moment? Or am I supposed to just be so enthralled by giant things punching each other; cause the Transformers movies kind of beat that experience into the ground for me. Am I supposed to remember the names of the monsters and robots in this movie? To me it just looked like a lot of generic monsters and robots fighting.

I guess after Pan's Labyrinth I expected something better than this from del Toro, but he is responsible for the terrible Hellboy movies so it makes sense that he would make this.

Boss Doggie

Well this is coming from someone who never heard the word "kaiju" before this movie and refers to mecha as robots. And it's not that I'm opposed to Asian monster movies because I really like The Host and the way they made you actually care about the characters.

The characters that died in Pacific Rim were so poorly developed, generic and introduced in such a cheeseball way that when they vanish from the screen you can hardly be expected to feel anything. Oh no the two generic ethnic character's robot got destroyed. Am I supposed to feel sad or shocked at that moment? Or am I supposed to just be so enthralled by giant things punching each other; cause the Transformers movies kind of beat that experience into the ground for me.

I guess after Pan's Labyrinth I expected something better than this from del Toro, but he is responsible for the terrible Hellboy movies so it makes sense that he would make this.

I was talking more about the important death of the commander guy and the brother.

But yeah the characterization is the lowest point of Pacific Rim, but it personally doesn't tarnish much of the movie because it doesn't conflict with its focus (mecha fighting kaijuu). It's not something like Cloverfield where characters were important in its focus, but were terribly done.

Needed more angst/screaming from Mako. I mean she IS a Japanese teen pilot, come on now.

Two pilot system + Idris Elba as The Coach = GunBuster.

For the sequel you mean just having the mechs fight one another and no actual kaijuu involved? I'd be down for that, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom