• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP / remember that game? Rival Schools / Project Justice / Justice Gakuen

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
4514-163266-rivalschoo0o2q.jpg

1181242156246t4ugf.png

rivalschool2up7tv51xuly.jpg

It maybe floaty and has some odd hitstun physics but damn it, I've yet to see any fighting game containing so much hot bloodedness, so much absurdity, and so much energy! I also enjoyed the characters in the game, and man the voice cast really is expansive (which in a way, makes it hard to have a re-release, sadly).

There's something eccentric and amazing about the cast really. From students firing ki energies because of their hot bloodedness, teachers who practice martial arts, a teacher who embodies hot bloodedness, a sports-centric school who uses Madden Kombat, lolis and oujos, oh my!

Also the music is catchy. From the first game's Taiyou Rooftop (which made it into TvC for Batsu's theme!) to Seijun Girls Outside!

My favorite character is of course, this guy.

roy-capcom5cuet.png

Roy Bromwell. Essentially what happens when Terry Bogard became a teen and studied in the US (not surprising since he's based from the wolf himself!). He still keeps his Engrish!

TAWCHDOWN! CAHM ON BAYBEE!

BOTEC

Shit was dope. Still have my PSX and DC discs, and the only way you'll take them is to pry them from cold dead hands.

@joe2187: More like because of JASRAC. Like Boss Doggie said, it's expensive to relicense for redistribution.

Boss Doggie

And you'll never see another game...

because capcpcom

tbqh they have good reasons, at least for not having a re-release. Voice acting fees and old voice actors being in different companies/retired.

Also Hyo's and Hideo's VA have passed away, former voicing Rei from Hokuto no Ken and latter voicing many Kinnikuman characters.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda shocked that Capcom didn't try to make a manga of this game.

Capcom was so awesome during this time in the arcade. This, Powerstone, Tech Romancer…man…I need to stop cutting these onions.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
UDON did, but I guess it wasn't as popular as Street Fighter and didn't sell, so it lasted 2 issues.

I remember that, but to be honest, the time had passed by then.

Was it this or Project Justice that had the guy on the swimming team in it? Dude was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a Capcom fighter.

You could say that I remember them...

Love these games to death. I wish I was still living in Miami with my friends so I could play it with them. So many good times.

I may just pop them in later for the hell of it. I haven't played them in a few months.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

You're damn right I remember, everything about these games are awesome. Everything about Capcom on the PS1, Saturn and Dreamcast was awesome. Akira is awesome.

That music is awesome.

Also, was there any reason for anyone not to have iincho as a support character on any team? She was a bit too good as long as you didn't make her fight. :p

Project Justice on the Dreamcast was the only one I played. But shit, between this and Tech Romancer, Capcom was putting out some fantastic fighters on that console. That's not even bringing the Power Stone games into the equation.

Akira was the shit.

I liked Akira, but Zaki was my absolute favorite.

Trigger

Project Justice on the Dreamcast was the only one I played. But shit, between this and Tech Romancer, Capcom was putting out some fantastic fighters on that console. That's not even bringing the Power Stone games into the equation.

I would do so many things for a new Tech Romancer game.

Crisium

I remember Project Justice for the DC. My brother even brought it to anime conventions in the late 2000s and people enjoyed it.

Young Magus

Let me get this off my chest,
DAT INTRO

Anyway, I have fond memories of the first game. I remember when I was at a friends house in grade school, and he had a copy of the game that he claimed did not work. After I asked to try the game out (after a hour or so of cleaning the disk) it magically work again and from the intro onwords the game had my attention. Fights were fun and team moves were cool.

Found the sequel at a flea market for twenty bucks, played a little bit and it was still fun and easy to get into just like the first game. Shame this series doesn't get much love nowadays, thought it probably for the good of it.

GEDO HIGH SCHOOL 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boss Doggie

Kinda shocked that Capcom didn't try to make a manga of this game.

Capcom was so awesome during this time in the arcade. This, Powerstone, Tech Romancer…man…I need to stop cutting these onions.

Huh, now that I think about it, yeah. Capcom was anime-happy in the 90's and early 2000's, was wondering why they didn't pull at least an OVA for this. The voice cast are already there! Then again, the anime they released tend to "screw" with the story so I'm wary.

At least they didn't have an American cartoon based on this game. Image what would've happened!

Was it this or Project Justice that had the guy on the swimming team in it? Dude was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a Capcom fighter.

People might have seen him from Project Justice first, but Nagare actually came out in Rival Schools 2 (i.e. semi-remake semi-sequel of Rival Schools) which was released in Japan only. They did it due to the school sim being so popular.

Also, was there any reason for anyone not to have iincho as a support character on any team? She was a bit too good as long as you didn't make her fight. :p

I dunno, she's kinda cute when fighting and one of her supers is shaming the enemy :p

Also I find it weird that she's physically incapable yet wears gym clothes.

A couple of my favorite fighting games and favorite Capcom games in general. It's been a long time since I've played them but a friend and I put so many hours into Project Justice. I even imported the Japanese version of that one but I couldn't wait for it to be localized. Hopefully Capcom rereleases them at some point or even makes a third, but I'm not optimistic about that.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Akira was the shit.
Mah men.

I fucking loved Rival Schools back in the day. One of my neighbors owned it and we played it a fucking lot. It's so sad that apart from some Batsu and Kyosuke cameos we'll never even get a PSOne release in NA. For months I've been debating on buying a used copy for $60 that a local store has.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Another game in the franchise done Persona style (running around school in-between fights/story beats doing school things, chatting with classmates, etc) would be amazing I think.

C'MAWN BAYBEE! yeah, that is an imminently memorable soundclip regardless if Roy was your favourite or not.

Loved the game, had many a good memory of playing it in the local arcade and playing lots of the PS1 port. Loved the style and design, the animations were charming and the cast of characters were really likable. Music was generally upbeat and nice to listen to as well.

Amagon

This game was my crack in the days. Project Justice still is one of the funnest 3D fighting games that I've played.

vLEcBdv.gif

I mean Roy's whole thing was that he was super racist. Akira and her brother were ballers, and I remember the teachers being pretty cool.

One of my favorite parts of the home versions was the art on the loading screens.
VcLOweP.png

QVkkppq.png

Usobuko

Banned
Played Rival School on PS One, it was one of the more famous local MP game in my school. I can't remember everyone except for Akira and that long spikey blonde hair dude.

Fjordson

Man, I definitely remember Rival Schools: United by Fate.

This was back when I would still get random games from my brother / parents, so I bought it the PSX version on a total whim after playing the demo in a Funcoland. I remember I always loved the character with the baseball bat.

Anteater

Hideaki Itsuno: You know that I worked on Rival Schools? [laughs] I really want to create a sequel, which would the third and final installment in the series, and let [main protagonist] Batsu and the other characters properly graduate, but whether Capcom lets me do it depends on whether a lot of gamers request it. It’s not that I don’t want to create it, but we need more requests for it, and if we don’t get those requests, Capcom won’t go ahead with it. Last month, the original Rivals Schools was released on the PlayStation Network in Japan and it was in the top three of the sales chart. So it is popular, but Capcom still somehow still hasn’t given the go ahead for the sequel.

Capcom pls

Boss Doggie

Hideaki Itsuno: You know that I worked on Rival Schools? [laughs] I really want to create a sequel, which would the third and final installment in the series, and let [main protagonist] Batsu and the other characters properly graduate, but whether Capcom lets me do it depends on whether a lot of gamers request it. It’s not that I don’t want to create it, but we need more requests for it, and if we don’t get those requests, Capcom won’t go ahead with it. Last month, the original Rivals Schools was released on the PlayStation Network in Japan and it was in the top three of the sales chart. So it is popular, but Capcom still somehow still hasn’t given the go ahead for the sequel.

Capcom pls

dasfasfasdasfasf

Capcpom

Dereck

Yeah, this does nothing but make me angry, let's talk about more abandoned Capcom franchises like Cannon Spike and Power Stone.

Really great fighting game, really. great personalities and appropriately accessible whilst providing depth. The only 3D fighting game that touches this in my opinion is Tekken 3.

NEO0MJ

Me and my friends dabbled with Rival Schools, but didn't play it much. It was all about Tekken and Smash during that time.

ibun

so loved rival schools, still hope there will be a sequel or a remake or whatever. with some great stories and those anime intros and outros etc. bigger better please

I put so many hours into Project Justice on DC. I loved the game and name so much i decided to use it for myself. Im hoping Capcom brings it back in this up coming generation. It also describe my personaly in real life.

31356_397863794819_2499853_n.jpg

Even got a Tattoo done on my forearm.

In recent years I have been very interested in giving this series a try, even though I'm not a big fan of fighting-type games. It seems like it is over-the-top fun, though, which I like.

Boss Doggie

Yo we should kickstart that mutha: UNITED BY FUNDING!

I just want my graduation damnit!

Also it'd be hilarious if it ends up spawning Rival Colleges!

In recent years I have been very interested in giving this series a try, even though I'm not a big fan of fighting-type games. It seems like it is over-the-top fun, though, which I like.

Very over the top.

Mista Koo

One of my two favorite fighting franchises and one of the most varied and lovable cast in a fighting game. I even mapped the characters of the game to my class back in middle school!
Roy and (later) Akira were my favorite characters.

I haven't played Project Justice at the time, but I hated all normal females team up "attacks." They were too boring for me.

Top Bottom