• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Returnal - I fucking lov..Hate this game

Hugare

Had my First Encounter with Nemesis....

And it doesn't seem that bad, more a war of Attrition and a very slower paced fight than Ixion and Phrike, I got to the end of the 2nd Phase quite well but the Parasites I had were a bit of a hinderence to me by slowing my dash down.

But it seems beatable though
The problem is the road to Nemesis

Its loong, and there are some tough enemies on the way (those flying bots fuck them)

My advice is to run once you reach the inside of the tower. Just run upwards. Dont try to kill every enemy on the way, its not worth it.

SCB3

Just finally unlocked the Rotland Gobber and a couple of its perks,

This thing melts! this may be my new favorite weapon in a game so far

Ogbert

Ok game, bit overrated. Dropped it on the 5th biome through boredom rather than difficulty.

My main problem with the game is that it’s a terrible rogue lite. Absolutely zero build variation of consequence.

It’s just a drawn out arcade game.

SCB3

FI7obJ0XIAI5U4s

Not too bad actually, the Roland carried me but I also had almost double health and the amount of positive Parasites and an Astronaut!

FI7oeu9XoAM96hM

FI7oikrXoAQzlQd

SCB3

Also to add, my dream as a kid was to be an Astronaut and to travel into space, the parts in the old house are bringing back some good childhood memories

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IGN's Game Prep is your guide to getting you prepped for everything you need to know before playing Housemarque's Returnal. Brian Altano is detailing tips for getting familiar with the game's systems and mechanics, currency, combat, and even a boss encounter to get you one step closer to crossing Returnal off your backlog.

IGN's Game Prep will dive into the rogue-like mechanics in Returnal, progression, item progression, upgrades, unlocks, currency like Silphium Resin, artifacts, parasites, Obolites, keys, Ether, and more. Additionally, we're taking a look at malignancy, malfunctions, overloads, and even early game help with the Overgrown Ruins biome and Phrike boss encounter.

tassletine

Ok game, bit overrated. Dropped it on the 5th biome through boredom rather than difficulty.

My main problem with the game is that it’s a terrible rogue lite. Absolutely zero build variation of consequence.

It’s just a drawn out arcade game.
I feel the same way. Never finished it.
The flow is pretty broken. What I wanted was a great 3D shootemup and those parts drag it down. Having played Hades it's clear that this sort of game can flow amazingly but it bored me here.

Returnal just doesn't compete with their other titles as far as an adrenaline rush goes. It's more stressful in a "bipolar" way, ie: you get a big buzz from being victorious, but the moment to moment gameplay is more tedious and empty.
For example, having a map works for a game like Metroid, as at it's core it's a puzzle game, but here it's just a drag on the gameplay.

Most of their other games are pretty good -- great and I had high hopes they could one day replace Treasure (who I sorely miss) but they just don't innovate enough. It's still a good game, but definitely a disappointment.

beck_

Another tip: If you can, don't pick up any green drops that normally refill your health bar until you are ready for boss or to shortcut out. Then get full health and go back through level and pick them all up. As when you are at full health, those green pickups all become the extend health pickups.

There are green pickups that extend health only, you can pick these up anytime.

tommib

Another tip: If you can, don't pick up any green drops that normally refill your health bar until you are ready for boss or to shortcut out. Then get full health and go back through level and pick them all up. As when you are at full health, those green pickups all become the extend health pickups.

There are green pickups that extend health only, you can pick these up anytime.
This helps a lot. Extended health was key in winning this motherfucker. I would normally have a full extra health bar ready for bosses.

Finished it last night. Gonna give it a 7.5. Watched the secret ending on yt cuz I figured it would not be satisfactory enough to replay the whole game again at least not so soon and I was right. Kinda figured what was going on and there are still some things left for interpretation but cool idea, well constructed. Gameplay was pretty good too. Final boss was...underwhelming, did not have that epic scale/soundtrack I was hoping nor was it very difficult. I think Hyperion is the coolest boss in the game, the music, the atmosphere, his attacks, just felt grand. Maybe I'll replay it one day.

GymWolf

Bosses are way easier than the path you have to take to reach them, i fucked up 3 of them at first try but died a lot in the levels.

They shoot a fuckload of balls and laser but their damage output is pretty low, and you are usually overpowered when you reach them, especially before when you didn't had a resume function so you had to do 1-3 or 4-6 without pauses.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Finished it last night. Gonna give it a 7.5. Watched the secret ending on yt cuz I figured it would not be satisfactory enough to replay the whole game again at least not so soon and I was right. Kinda figured what was going on and there are still some things left for interpretation but cool idea, well constructed. Gameplay was pretty good too. Final boss was...underwhelming, did not have that epic scale/soundtrack I was hoping nor was it very difficult. I think Hyperion is the coolest boss in the game, the music, the atmosphere, his attacks, just felt grand. Maybe I'll replay it one day.
If hyperion is the fourth boss with the piano, you are right, not the best mechanically but the best for build up and music.

Last edited:
If hyperion is the fourth boss with the piano, you are right, not the best mechanically but the best for build up and music.

Yeah thats him. Love the piano/orga whatever he was playing. Even the one before with the platforms felt epic/grand. The final boss just throws lots of shit at you and u just have to hit the eyes. Was very meh. First time I reached him had a rocket launcher which was not very good against him, but beat him second try with the plasmagun thing that spawns portals and it just shredded him like it was nothing. I died more times at Hyperion but maybe because I enjoyed fighting that boss and wanted to keep fighting him.

SCB3

Yeah thats him. Love the piano/orga whatever he was playing. Even the one before with the platforms felt epic/grand. The final boss just throws lots of shit at you and u just have to hit the eyes. Was very meh. First time I reached him had a rocket launcher which was not very good against him, but beat him second try with the plasmagun thing that spawns portals and it just shredded him like it was nothing. I died more times at Hyperion but maybe because I enjoyed fighting that boss and wanted to keep fighting him.
The Lead up to him is fantastic, the designs both visual and sound are incredible in this game, got that real HR Giger/Lovecraft feel to them, I refuse to play without the 3D Pulse headphones, it makes so much difference

On another note, I really should stop picking up Malignant stuff, its cost me 2 runs in Biome 5 already, I've just suspended a run there at the start with so much health and a damned good Pylon Roll, though there is a Hollowseeker with Portal that I need to fully unlock as well

Fuck it, I may plat. this, its been that special and tbf, I'm not that far off it

Oh, did anyone see the AGDQ runs of this, amazing:

Last edited:

SCB3

Last Biome and just need a key for the Abyss door, almost to the End, died to a shitty luck room with a healing tower on a small ledge with a bunch of red squids flying at me

SkylineRKR

I never used Dreadbound but that guy kind of 3 shot the final boss with it. But most weapons with some good level 3 traits are broken I guess.

Hollowseeker reigns in Biome 6. Since its a fast firing weapon with a huge clip. if you have shield disruptor, its even more hilarious. Only those big guys there can be a pain (esp if you run into a bonus room with 2 of them), but Portal and a decent alt fire generally deal with them.

It seems malignant fucks you over more at the end game. I usually get the worst debuffs there, I stopped picking up malignant items once I hit Biome 6. Your build should be good enough for the end game if you fully cleared Biome 4. And you still get some stuff along the way.

SCB3

I never used Dreadbound but that guy kind of 3 shot the final boss with it. But most weapons with some good level 3 traits are broken I guess.

Hollowseeker reigns in Biome 6. Since its a fast firing weapon with a huge clip. if you have shield disruptor, its even more hilarious. Only those big guys there can be a pain (esp if you run into a bonus room with 2 of them), but Portal and a decent alt fire generally deal with them.

It seems malignant fucks you over more at the end game. I usually get the worst debuffs there, I stopped picking up malignant items once I hit Biome 6. Your build should be good enough for the end game if you fully cleared Biome 4. And you still get some stuff along the way.
Yea, I've been using the Rotgland Lobber and the Pylon Driver, but have 2 new weapons I just unlocked, Dreadbound being one of them, I have found Hollowseekers with the Portal perk, I should grind that out whilst I can

SCB3

And done, roll those damn credits:

FJLPd_UWYAAjLpy

The final boss is a joke, it was harder to get to him than it was fighting, I didn't even get hit and I had 3 healing Items, 2 Shield Vials and a Astronaut, Hollowseeker with Portal Rounds melted him

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and opinions here, it really did help me push through it!

A fantastic game, glad I toughed it out, Ixion will forever be a moment to remember when I finally beat that mf'er. I need a break from hard games until Elden Ring is out next month, luckily I am a Pokémon fan....

Last edited:
Top Bottom