• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Amazing Spider-Man

LionPride

Banned
So to preface this, I wrote everything in my notes app while watching this so if it seems more jumbled than usual...there's why

Pt. 1

Not a better movie than Spider-Man 2, but having Garfield and Stone along with Rhys and Sally Fields works heavily in the movie's favor.

Scenes between Gwen and Peter seem genuine, from the first scene onwards

Not good subway scene with the ripping the woman's dress off, but the accidental fight scene is fine but clunky

Having Stone and Garfield as your two leads is world's better than Dunst and Macguire although Garfield was like 27 looking like a college junior tbh.

Peter being "spider-like" by wanting to eat flies and shit???

Uncle Ben and Aunt May are good, Sally Field is not as good as the one in Raimi's but she's still dope

Rhys ifans is a good actor and makes me feel sorry for Curt Connors as a person

Lizard design is no bueno

Peter at school is fine, he's just a dude who's known for taking pics and is bullied by Flash for being a smart kid who takes pics

Shows his intelligence from the jump, the little scene between Gwen and Peter highlights this as well as the audience is outwardly told he is second in their senior class. Then of course the creation of the webbing taking inspiration from what he saw at Oscorp

Flash is just an asshole jock, no real depth until he feels bad that Ben is dead and you see he obviously has pain he's dealt with. He's genuine when talking to Peter and I wish there was more time with him in this movie or the sequel.

This basketball scene is fucking abysmal who thought this was a good idea? Paints Peter as overly vindictive. Also having that awful wire work happen was yuck. Thankfully Ben tells him he was being an ass for no damn reason which works out well.

The exhibition of Pete trying out his newfound agility is fine, weird music choice but I get it, he's on cloud 9 after his interaction with Gwen where she basically says yes to a date or something with him.

Scene with Peter and Connors developes their characters and conveys a relationship well. But it of course also shows that Pete needs to set his priorities in order. Sheen's anger at Peter makes sense here, basically saying with great power comes great responsibilty. Then Peter is a dick saying "Well where is he to tell me this?" Bro he's dead and that's low.

The fact that it's always, Peter is so damn petty over a small grevience that leads to Ben getting killed always got to me. Like he's so petty over being told he can't take a penny or that he wasn't paid enough for the wrestling show or whatever, that he sees a crime and is like "whatcha gonna do?"

I do like that Peter never finds the killer, that thread is never closed off, it's just there to show Peter's failiure which is nice.

I like that in his first scene trying to find the killer, he doesn't fight them head on, he runs away and uses his agility to get the better of the criminals. The scene with him engineering the webbing is a small but nice scene again showing some amount of intellect without just blatently saying it. Cgi in this first swinging scene...could be better.

I remember how hype yet tepid everyone was seeing the first person swinging scene, wish it lasted longer than five seconds in the actual film but it still looks nice actually.

The first Spider-Man scene is honestly good, yes even him yelling crotch as he flies crotch first into the thief. The webbing scene is nice too.

This scene between May and Peter had me feeling for Aunt May. Her husband just died and her nephew is out late at night with bruises and she knows nothing about why or why he's out so late, it's short and coulda been longer, but it's decent.

Gwen also being a kinda awkward human when around Peter makes them as a whole feel more genuine as people. This scene between Gwen and Peter is cute, with the crumpled flowers and all that then him looking like a schmuck.

Peter makes mistake number 0 at a dinner with a girl you like and her family, challenging that authority. Plus lets Peter kinda figure out his own ideas as to what he wants to be as a hero. A man with a personal grudge against grungy looking white guys who look like Curt Hawkins, or someone who wants to Make a true difference.

LionPride

Banned
Pt. 2

More cute scenes between Gwen and Peter including Gwen givin him thirst eyes and Pete just being Peter here. Showing off that he's Spider-Man then kissing her was cute too. I feel like they have a true chemistry together that comes across constantly.

Bad editing on the scene where Lizard throws the Indian Dr's car. Yikes.

Coming up on one of my favorite scenes in comic book movies period, Peter saving the kid by giving him the mask and giving him the courage to be great. Something so powerful in that one scene, convinced me Garfield could be a great long term Spider-Man in another life.
Although saving this kid leads to the AWFUL crane scene at the climax but we'll get to that later.

The scene with Connors and Peter is...interesting. It's acting in the scene is fine, but it comes across as hokey to me. Can't explain it well. Peter trying to explain this to Captain Stacy is also not good. The entire trope of character says truth and authority doesn't believe them but still does research was not needed honestly.

The Lizard/Spider-Man not fight scene issa look, talking goomba Lizard is still not the move by any stretch of the imagination. Guess it's better than the long snout?

Chocolate house? I believe I honestly like this movie because of the Gwen/Peter relationship. Everything else is fine, but that ship keeps me hella interested in them as people and characters.

This is like it's echoing the Norman/Goblin scenes from SM1 but not at the same time with Connor's inner voice being a negative prescence.

School fight scene which I remember being dope, still is, but funny enough not as good as any of the fight scenes with Doc Ock. He does look like a little pest webbing up Lizard like that. The Stan cameo scene is still good.

Another FP Spidey Scene, again short as hell. The shot with the cop floodlight on him as he's swinging and gets shot down is nice.

This semi-thriller scene between Lizard and Gwen worked for me, it was tense and creepy with the lack of music/the dumb insistance of using the jump scare strings and oh my God this Lizard design is abysmal.

Know what's worse? This dumbass scene with the cranes. Not as bad as post 9/11 Americana unity, but Jesus it's bad. Showing Peter struggle beforehand was good though.

On the costume, I don't hate it, but I believe the spacing of the eyes on the mask throws everything off for me, something about it looks wrong in a sense. The suit itself is fine, but that mask...yeesh.

I always like seeing how directors and fight coreographers will use Spider-Man during fights, his fighting throughout all 5 movies was pretty swaggu. Nice fluidity with his motion always showing his agility and athleticism. It's nice to see. Also, not a heavy action fight scene setpiece. Different change of pace that worked out well. Keeping it contained worked for this movie.

I don't care bout Captain Stacy's death as there is not a lot of time spent with him, you have the scene where they're at dinner, the one scene in the station, then the climax. No reason for me to really care about his death beyond him being Gwen's father and capitalizing on the audience's feelings for her relationship with Peter. Also Peter made a promise he quickly broke on this man's deathbed, jesus christ do better Pete. Speaking of do better...Garfield's acting here is not convincing. Not in his tone, his face, his actual words...none of it.

This scene where May more or less figures out that he's Spider-Man though, good acting on both parts but again...too short.

Oh no, I actually feel awful for Gwen here. The "breakup" they do is meh since it's quickly reverted like two seconds later but Emma Stone did a good job there. At least she realizes Peter made a promise to a dead man to not date her, but again, hs goes back on his word quickly.

The movie has flaws, but it's still a pretty decent to good movie actually. Like it's a 7/10 for me, rounding up a teeny tiny bit. I have yet to dislike the movie as a whole with the only Spider-Man movie I dislike being TASM 2 because it's just blech.

I liked it at the time, but the second one was so bad that it retroactively ruined the first for me.

I still kinda like the basketball costume though lol

I kinda had to force myself to watch it before Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out since my friends wanted to go see that. It was a profoundly unnecessary retelling but I found it to be a surprisingly enjoyable film. It looks gorgeous, Garfield and Stone had fantastic chemistry and nailed their characters, I loved Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben as well, and the movie just felt very sincere overall. But every time the cg Lizard appeared, he took the movie down with him. Too bad, since I really like that villain in the comics and Rhys Ifans was good as Connors.

Like the George Lazenby Bond, it probably won't be remembered much in a decade or two, but it's a solid 6 or 7/10 for me.

LionPride

Banned
I kinda had to force myself to watch it before Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out since my friends wanted to go see that. It was a profoundly unnecessary retelling but I found it to be a surprisingly enjoyable film. It looks gorgeous, Garfield and Stone had fantastic chemistry and nailed their characters, I loved Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben as well, and the movie just felt very sincere overall. But every time the cg Lizard appeared, he took the movie down with him. Too bad, since I really like that villain in the comics and Rhys Ifans was good as Connors.

Like the George Lazenby Bond, it probably won't be remembered much in a decade or two, but it's a solid 6 or 7/10 for me.
That Goomba lookin motherfucker...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I liked it....... but I liked it because I thought it was going somewhere.

It light of ASM2 and Sony ceding their would-be universe to the MCU, I have very little interest in this sub-franchise.

kiguel182

The movie had a lot of good things going for it (namely the casting, the nailing of Spidey and decent direction) but didn't quite nail the landing. It also got unfairly shat on for being a reboot so soon, it is also a bit messy but the good outweighs the bad for me.

The sequel had the leads that still shone but dropped everything else including having abysmal editing and being bloated.

Edit:: in the end they should've skipped the origin story and have a tighter movie. It would've done wonders.

Now that I think about it, as stupid as it was to retell the origin while making such a big deal about Spidey's parents, it's kind of a shame that that plot point was completely mishandled in 2. The Spider-Man annual where Peter finds out the truth about them and ends up fighting Red Skull was one of the first american comics that I came across and it's a really cool story, I highly recommend it.

latest

Fliesen

ASM 1 had potential. It had a weak villain, and some cringy moments (the crane scene) but i kinda liked Garfield's portrayal of Spidey.
I also very much enjoyed the fact that Gwen and Peter were at eye level with one another. Both with regards to their relationship as well as Peter revealing his secret identity with her.

ASM 2 kinda killed all of this, both in a figurative as well as literal sense.

Sojgat

I liked it. They got the Spider-Man part mostly right (even if Peter was a little more mopey than I would've liked). Garfield was well cast. Also, the first-person swinging shots were pretty cool.

Not some great movie, but it was a solid base to build off of. Amazing 2 ruined all that. Shouldn't have hired Orci & Kurtzman.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I liked it. They got the Spider-Man part mostly right (even if Peter was a little more mopey than I would've liked). Garfield was well cast. Also, the first-person swinging shots were pretty cool.

Not some great movie, but it was a solid base to build off of. Amazing 2 ruined all that. Shouldn't have hired Orci & Kurtzman.

had no idea these dummies were behind asm2

explains a lot

F!ReW!Re

So you review Logan in one paragraph containing stuff like "the action is just bad"
And now you make a thread over-analyzing ASM....

:-S

I don't hate these moves unlike seemingly everyone else. I also thought Garfield and Stone were genuinely cute. I choose to believe the last 20 minutes of ASM2 doesn't exist.

Harmen

The first one is often an ok, but completely unremarkable film, it doesn't have any highlight at all. It looks like a musicvideo and the fights are boring as hell. I'd rather have something messy like Spider-Man 3 that at least has some interesting moments. Garfield and Stone were good, but not able to really elevate it in the end, for me personally.

In regards to messy films, ASM2 is messy on another level though, it is the only film I have ever seen in cinema where I considered walking away, and I sat trough Transformers 2, Suicide Squad, and Pirates 3 just fine. The reason why my hype for Homecoming is limited, is probably due to that one still.

...did you just live post reactions to The Amazing Spider-Man in 2017?

I pretty much have nothing complimentary to say about this movie.

JB1981

Just want to mention that the use of the phrase "nail the landing" has really started to irritate me. I'm not sure if I'm just noticing its use more than ever in review threads or what but it's driving me crazy. I think it might be Bobby Roberts' fault.

Glass Rebel

Both ASM and ASM2 are insipid pieces of shit that basically retread what Raimi did just worse and without bringing anything new to the table except for actual chemistry between the two leads (curiously in spite of the terrible and nonsensical writing) and a Peter Parker that is actual human garbage.

Seriously, Peter's characterization in these films feels like a sick joke. Raimi's movies, despite not hitting every aspect of Peter, at least got the broad strokes of a caring, heroic but also conflicted character right. However, ASM Peter feels like he was specifically made to validate the people that think the criticism levelled against Tobey's depiction only amounts to a perceived lack of quips. Garfield's Peter is selfish, petty and creepy and worst of all, they managed to put some YA bullshit in there by making him the chosen one, further removing him from what makes Peter so approachable.

But within all the garbage plagueing these dumpster fires, I haven't even mentioned their biggest sin. If you were to trace back the lineage of this new wave of crappy superhero movies you'd arrive at Amazing Spider-Man. It's barely concerned with having a coherent narrative or plausible character motivations, opting instead for "moments" or elements evocative of the comics. You get Uncle Ben's death, you need an enemy so you get the Lizard, Gwen Stacy is there and she dies so obviously the Green Goblin needs to make an appearance. It's all there but they make it fit about as well as a round peg into a square hole. The characters are barely people. They do things because the story requires them to, they say lines because they're in the script. But this is what you get when you get people that not only don't understand the characters they work with, they don't even get the most basic tenets of storytelling.

Vampfox

Banned
Shit movie that offers nothing new. It's pretty much the same story as Sam Rami's Spider-Man 1 only with a ticked on sub plot about Peter's parents that no one cares about.

This version of Peter is horrible and shows that Sony has no understanding of the character. Seriously who thought that it was a good idea to give Peter Parker a skateboard?

This movies version of Peter is also a horrible person. He takes someone else's id to get into Oscorp. Goes into a restricted area. And at the end of the movie he breaks the promise that he made to Gwen's dad.

Spider-Man makes quips now which would be an improvement if they were funny.

This movies Gwen is just the Ultimate Spider-Man version of Mary Jane with a different name.

The only good thing about this movie is that this movies version of Flash Thompson gets some nice character development too bad he's not in the sequel.

Redd

I always liked Garfield's Spider-man because he was more fluid with his jokes but Tobey's Peter Parker was way better. ASM2 was trash though. I've only watched it once and that's 1 too many.

Controversial opinion alert: Minus the dirty yellow colored eyes, I really like the costume in this movie. I think it just needed a bit of a belt line like most other versions of the suit has (plus white eyes).

Top Bottom