• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Luvdisc just exists so I can easily get Heart Scales to relearn moves if necessary. It doesn't have to be a good Pokemon.

I'm pretty sure farming Heart Scales is the only reason Luvdisc exists.

Deliberd has present, which is unique to him, even if it's a bad move.

Farfetch'd has nothing of value besides being a confusing reference for people outside of Japan, and being a garbage Pokemon stat and movepool wise.

Memorable Smogon entry on Farfetch'd

Macka

I never understood the criticism of Magneton just being three Magnemites stuck together, because the evolution of a magnet being more magnets makes perfect freaking sense. Gen 1 haters can be just as ridiculous as the genwunners sometimes. With that said, I do think Magnezone is a fantastic and more fitting ending for the line though, and I love the evolution method.

Oh, and I love that theory that Magnemite were initially pure energy/electric beings that armor themselves with scrap metal in a similar way to Rotom.

woopWOOP

Late, but Magnemite is one of few I Pokemon I really do dislike, just because having multiple monsters in one ball is bullshit. Monsters wearing their mother's skull or a piece of stalk into their balls, okay sure that also makes no sense, but multiple monsters is where I draw the line. Atleast it fuses together into one entity later (now we just need Dugtrio to get fixed).

I'd really like it if they changed Magnemite (and Diglett's) evolution method by leveling it in an area with the same Pokemon, kind of similar to evolving Eevee to Grass/Ice. Atleast then it makes sense that there's suddenly more of them hanging around. If only Gamefreak wasn't so obsessed about keeping evolution methods the same as the previous games (Wynaut should be a regular baby, damnit)

e: I did a Leaf Green run with a Far Fetch'd in the party. The higher crit rate with the stick equip made it kind of fun (too bad his crits hit weaker then other's regular attacks which became a real problem during the Elite 4.)

Mr-Joker

Banned
Major shout out to Quackin the Farfetch'd in X and Y, he was freaking awesome.

Honestly people need to accept that not all Pokémon are competitive viable but that doesn't mean that they are useless as they still can be just as good in single player.

It just takes a good trainer to unlock their potential in both competitive and single play.

I never understood the criticism of Magneton just being three Magnemites stuck together, because the evolution of a magnet being more magnets makes perfect freaking sense. Gen 1 haters can be just as ridiculous as the genwunners sometimes.

Magneton only gets brought up whenever a genwunners complains about a Pokémon in later gen who has similar design.

You would not believe the hate Doublade got when he was reviled.

Plus it gets very annoying when they complain about Pokémon design in later gen and use it as an excuse to claim how the series went "downhill" but somehow turn a blind eye to gen 1.

Honestly speaking I just find the whole funny as the Pokémon they complain about may very well could have been created in gen 1 but got the cut.

Most of the gen 2 Pokémon as with Shellos and Tirtouga all got cut before finally being Pokémon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I never understood the criticism of Magneton just being three Magnemites stuck together, because the evolution of a magnet being more magnets makes perfect freaking sense. Gen 1 haters can be just as ridiculous as the genwunners sometimes. With that said, I do think Magnezone is a fantastic and more fitting ending for the line though, and I love the evolution method.

Oh, and I love that theory that Magnemite were initially pure energy/electric beings that armor themselves with scrap metal in a similar way to Rotom.

Magnets don't work that way :p

Mind you I'm not hating Magneton since I like it and later games and anime give it more life (i.e. it can split itself). I'm just iffy on the explanation of "more magnets is a proper progression" a lot of people use.

Magnezone makes more sense because that's how magnets make become powerful, become a massive conductor. Only two mons really make sense for "multiplying itself", the Klinklank line (because more gears produce more work and bigger, more complex machinations require more gears) and Barbaracle (because barnacles reproduce like that, and even then it kinda subverts the typical repeating design anyway).

Macka

Magnets don't work that way :p
What? When magnets are placed in a stack, their magnetic field and overall strength can be increased. If you're not new to this argument, how haven't you been told this before?

Only two mons really make sense for "multiplying itself", the Klinklank line (because more gears produce more work and bigger, more complex machinations require more gears) and Barbaracle (because barnacles reproduce like that, and even then it kinda subverts the typical repeating design anyway).
Diglett to Dugtrio also makes perfect sense from a design POV because it was based on the whack-a-mole game.

Toxi

Banned
Diglett to Dugtrio also makes perfect sense from a design POV because it was based on the whack-a-mole game.
Agreed.

And Vanilluxe makes sense because it's based on an ice cream boat; only thing missing is some sundae sauce of some kind.

MBS

Banned
Magnemite/ton were the Pokemon that gave you a sense of relief everytime you'd encounter them because they were so simple to beat.

Magnemite/ton were the Pokemon that gave you a sense of relief everytime you'd encounter them because they were so simple to beat.

Does any major trainer in Diamond and Pearl have a Magneton or Zone?

Because I was thinking how easy Fire starters can beat them these days because of the steel type, but then it occurred to me that poor Empoleon is a sitting duck (or rather, penguin) who can't even switch out and is at a type disadvantage and who generally doesn't know anything that can easily handle Magneton/zone unless you specifically plan on the matchup.

MBS

Banned
Does any major trainer in Diamond and Pearl have a Magneton or Zone?

Because I was thinking how easy Fire starters can beat them these days because of the steel type, but then it occurred to me that poor Empoleon is a sitting duck (or rather, penguin) who can't even switch out and is at a type disadvantage and who generally doesn't know anything that can easily handle Magneton/zone unless you specifically plan on the matchup.

I don't know, i haven't touched anything after gen 3. (Well, HG/SS are technically gen 2). But even if they were featured in any gym they would probably be too easy to beat.

Macka

You would not believe the hate Doublade got when he was reviled.
I love Honedge and Aegislash, but honestly Doublade does seem very out of place imo. Unlike Magneton, there's no real reason for it to multiply upon evolution. Why would one ghost sword become two ghost swords?

SalvaPot

I love Honedge and Aegislash, but honestly Doublade does seem very out of place imo. Unlike Magneton, there's no real reason for it to multiply upon evolution. Why would one ghost sword become two ghost swords?

The idea is that the ghost is upgrading in power, so its actually changing swords.

Toxi

Banned
Doublade is a crossed swords display.

McKinnon_Plaque_1.JPG

Can I get one in Soul Silver and how exactly does it give one Heart Scales?
You can get one, but it's tricky; it's a swarm Pokemon, so you have to check Professor Oak's Poketalk radio show every day and hope you get lucky.

From what I know, the best way to get Heart Scales in SoulSilver is using Rock Smash on cracked boulders or using the Pokewalker on one of the beach courses.

In games where Luvdisc is common, it's easy to farm Heart Scales from them by using a Pokemon with the move Thief. Fight a wild Luvdisc, use Thief to get a Heart Scale, then run away and repeat.

Grexeno

Because it's an evolution theme we see over and over again in Gen 1, making it more likely they simply decided to stick two Pokemon together whenever they had difficulty coming up with an evolution.

Macka

Because it's an evolution theme we see over and over again in Gen 1, making it more likely they simply decided to stick two Pokemon together whenever they had difficulty coming up with an evolution.
There are a grand total of 4.

Magneton, which as I explained above makes perfect sense.
Dugtrio, which as I explained above makes perfect sense.

Then there's Dodrio and Weezing. I don't have any defense for Dodrio, but honestly where could they go with an ostrich anyway? Just make it bigger like every other bird Pokemon? As for Weezing - as a living orb of poison, I always assumed the extra head was meant to be a mutation or tumour. Which again, makes perfect sense.

Grexeno

Then there's Dodrio and Weezing. I don't have any defense for Dodrio, but honestly where could they go with an ostrich anyway? Just make it bigger like every other bird Pokemon? As for Weezing - as a living orb of poison, I always assumed the extra head was meant to be a mutation or tumour. Which again, makes perfect sense.
We never see this pattern in any other generation.

Azuran

Banned
Vanilluxe, Klinklang and Doublade. Also probably Barbaracle too, since it's a bunch of Binacle's combined.

Poor Metang always gets forgotten

The thing is that even if they make sense, they're just boring. Dugtrio has to be the laziest design in the entire series. At least Klinklang and Doublade look different from their first form.

Wait Farfetch'd already? The 'D was actually a special character in the Gen I font (ugh remember those days of Pokemon names all in upper case :( ). Speaking of Samurai Farfetch'd here is an example fake scan:
20100628234123_zpskfrqhppc.jpg

Deliberd has present, which is unique to him, even if it's a bad move.
You can breed present onto some other Pokemon but your point of it being a thing you remember Delibird for stands.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
VYqHe4X.png

#084 - Doduo
Normal/Flying

Doduo is yet another Normal/Flying Pokemon, but don't mistake it as being related to Farfetch'd as this bird is actually quite decent. You know, with Farfetch'd coming right before it in the PokeDex, I wonder if there were any kids who mistook it as an evolution of Farfetch'd and tried to get the latter to evolve? Doduo is another Pokemon who I feel like quite a few players may have skipped over since they likely were already using the Normal/Flying Pidgeotto/Fearow by the time they encountered it, and on first look it seems a bit less impressive than those two even though from my understanding it and its evolution were arguably one of the best Normal/Flying Pokemon in Generation I due to their impressive speed and attack. In this case, two heads are indeed better than one.

So, yeah, we all know the old joke---Doduo, despite being a Flying-type Pokemon, is notorious for its inability to fly well, yet is also capable of using Fly to transport its Trainer halfway across the Kanto Region. Most people think it jumps, which might not be as crazy as you'd think since I believe the verb the Japanese name for Fly uses, "tobu", can indeed mean "jump" depending on the context. As I've pointed out before, there's some evidence to suggest that originally the Flying-type was meant to be called the Bird-type, due to that Typing appearing within the game on MissingNo, and most of the Flying-type moves being specifically abilities birds posses, whereas the "wind elemental" attack Gust is merely a normal-type in Generation I, so with that in mind I wonder if Doduo was designed when the Type referenced the animal basis rather than the ability to fly, and when the Type was changed, they left Doduo as is figuring it wouldn't be that bothersome to players. I certainly think most people have gotten over the disconnect and accepted Doduo as a Flying-type Pokemon, however. We've gotten plenty of flightless bird Pokemon who aren't the Flying-type since then, but to be honest I'm disappointed we've yet to get one that was based on one of the large flightless birds like Doduo who wasn't stuck with the Flying-type, it's one of those animals I'd love to see Game Freak take another stab at.

Despite its name, and poor flight, Doduo really doesn't share much in common with the classic dodo bird, if anything it's Farfetch'd who has more in common with the extinct bird due to its status as a Pokemon on the verge of being wiped out. For one, the odo wasn't only incapable of flight, it was also quite small and slow, and had a dopey personality---Doduo on the other hand is quite fast and powerful, said to be able to run up to 60 miles-per-hour, and its two heads allow it to remain vigilant no matter the situation, so Doduo doesn't seem like a Pokemon who has a problem surviving. Doduo draws from the ratite-class of flightless birds, the bird it resembles the most in terms of looks is probably the tiny kiwi, but with a body built more like an emu. Although Doduo doesn't appear to have wings, this is of course another example of stylish exaggeration in the art---Doduo does indeed have wings, they're just not drawn distinct from their body, like how many flightless birds don't appear to have wings either when they're not using them as they blend in with their body.

We've had a few Pokemon with two heads already, but Doduo is the first Pokemon who begins this way---according to the PokeDex, this came about as a rare mutation, and then became the norm. Presumably, at one time in the past, there were Doduo (although perhaps they had a different name) with only one head, but for whatever reason they no longer exist---perhaps without the addition of the extra head to keep them safe, they weren't able to survive predation and really did go the way of the dodo? Doduo seems to be a Pokemon representing a "ripped from the headlines" part of 90s global cultural, where due to perhaps pollution and other factors, animals with multiple body-parts were beginning to appear more and more frequently and gaining a lot of attention from the scientific community. From a quick look into the phenomenon, birds don't seem to be common creatures where this has been documented, it seems to mainly occur in reptiles, but there are various two-headed birds referenced throughout mythology, such as the popular "double-headed eagle" that appears in multiple flags and coat-of-arms throughout the world, so perhaps that's where Game Freak got the idea to go with a bird? Or maybe it's because a long-necked bird just seems like an easy creature to add an extra head to due to their long necks making it easier to draw? Doduo normally have identical brains, but I believe in real-life the two heads often have their own brains, and the PokeDex says that there are some Doduo born with unique brains---it seems that, in general, the latter seems to be more in-line with how Doduo is usually portrayed as a creature where each head is somewhat independent.

Poor Doduo basically never got an episode to itself---it made a small appearance in Bad to the Bone (I totally forgot about this episode honestly since it was right after all those pre-League fillers but before the actual League itself), and later Gary was shown to own one which hung around Oak's laboratory. I've always liked it as a Pokemon, and it's disappointing that it's never really gotten to do much despite having a pretty interesting gimmick.

a5nfnOj.png

#085 - Dodrio
Normal/Flying

Dodrio is the evolution of Doduo, and yet another Pokemon who just adds another head when it evolves---okay, in its defense, Doduo's gimmick was having multiple heads, so hey, what'd you think was going to happen when it evolved? Technically, it doesn't grow a head, rather one of Doduo's heads is said to split into two. You gotta wonder which Pokemon in Gen I was the first one to be designed who had the whole multiple-head gimmick going on, and thus which one is the original and which ones ripped it off. Personally, I feel like the Doduo family were probably the first Pokemon with that gimmick, and the others were probably some of the later Pokemon created in order to help fill the spaces and cap off some evolution lines. But that's just my theory. As I stated before, Dodrio was actually a fairly powerful Normal/Flying Pokemon, especially in the earlier days, but its rather simplistic move list means it wasn't able to keep up that well in later Generations when Flying-Pokemon had to deal with the increasing strength of Rock-type Pokemon and Rock-type Moves, but hey, at least it's not Farfetch'd.

So, what's better than two-heads? Three-heads! It's said that the three heads specifically represent joy, sadness, and anger, but I don't think we've ever seen this properly represented---Dodrio's heads are either all depicted as being quite angry looking, or there's two angry heads, and one depressed looking head, pretty much always the right head. I gotta say, the dopey looking head is one of my favorite visual gags in all of Pokemon, and really gives Dodrio a humbleness to its design showing how Game Freak doesn't take itself too seriously for the most part. In addition to multiple heads, Dodrio also has other extra body parts (too bad Eichiro Oda isn't running Game Freak, because I have a question about that...), mainly hearts and three sets of lungs---this is another true fact about animals with polycephaly, there's actually a pair of living human twins who have their own heart and two sets of lungs. Pretty amazing! Sadly, in the real world, most animals with polycephaly don't live long, often unable to properly work together and thus make easy prey, or even in the case of snakes, attempt to eat one another! Thankfully, like the Hensel twins, Dodrio's three heads have learned to work together for the greater good and are only stronger due to their unusual body.

Because Dodrio has additional hearts and lungs, it's able to move at incredible speeds---40 miles-per-hour! Wait just a second! Doduo was capable of running at 60 miles-per-hour, how come Dodrio is slower? I don't have the answer to this, and this is a rare time where the PokeDex is actually humble, as 40 MPHs isn't impossibly fast, in fact, the ostrich, which Dodrio seems to be primarily based on due to its similar size and appearance, is capable of speeds of up to 43 miles-per-hour. You win this time, nature! Dodrio's speed of 100 thus is quite fitting and a situation where its speed seems to be in-line with its physical appearance and capabilities, as it's fast, yet not amazingly fast. But it's still faster than Pidgeot, the Pokemon said to be able to fly at Mach-2 speeds...which is roughly equivalent to around 1,530~ miles-per-hour. Yeah, Game Freak really didn't think that through.

Dodrio's another Pokemon who kind of got a "heel" reputation thanks to the show, as it was the primary antagonist in the "Flame Pokemon-athon" opposite Ponyta/Rapidash, who it ultimately lost to. I actually loved Dodrio as a kid, way more than Rapidash, and thought this was so unfair---yeah, Rapidash is faster than Dodrio even in the games, but come on, Dodrio's way cooler than a flaming unicorn. Poor Dodrio never really recovered from its debut appearance, and it's never really gotten a time to shine to make up for its loss. I mean, yeah, Falkner used one, but come on, do you really expect Falkner of all people to save a Pokemon's reputation?

Boss Doggie

I thought the flutter jump thing was more of animation error lol

like how Mudslap was uh... coming out of Golem's rear

What? When magnets are placed in a stack, their magnetic field and overall strength can be increased. If you're not new to this argument, how haven't you been told this before?

but aren't Magnemite presented to be more like electomagnets? Hence why I think Magnezone represents the power increase better.

An animation error that appeared in all 5 3D battle games? Also they don't use that animation for anything else, it's specifically their flying animation.

Not that the 3D games are particularly canon to how Pokemon animate, but it's an interesting alternative method, and one my brain doesn't really mind accepting.

I don't know what they look like flying in the newer games, or if they look silly in just standing on nothing in the air.

Boss Doggie

Probably the latter. But like I said I'm not sure lol

maybe they secretly have wings in that round body of theirs

Weebos

Banned
Gen 1's "lol more heads" thing is so bad. I forgot how many there are.

Mainly because Gen 1 is so forgettable.

Toxi

Banned
Mainly because Gen 1 is so forgettable.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPER

YOU KIDS HAVE IT SO GOOD NOW

BACK IN THE DAY ALL WE DIDN'T HAVE YOUR FANCY NEWFANGLED FAIRIES OR ABILITIES OR REUSABLE TMS, WE JUST HAD A LEVEL 100 PIDGEOT WITH RAZOR WIND AND 255 MASTER BALLS FROM MISSINGNO AND SOME REALLY FUCKED UP HALL OF FAME DATA, AND WE ENJOYED IT

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'll always remember its first anime appearance
pvpJSes.png

Oh, I forgot to mention that...Dodrio is the first "live" Pokemon to appear in the show since all the other Pokemon who appear beforehand are either on TV, or Ash's fanatasy.

Dodrio is one of those pokemon I tend to forget about and then when I actually remember it I realise "hey, I like this one quite a lot".
Shame about yet more normal/flying, at least this helps its tri attack.

Though I would like another take on the "flightless" long necked bird that forgoes the multiple syndrome of some Gen 1 evos, like maybe an Emu or an exaggerated Cassowary since Ostrich is already covered.

Speaking of Stadium interpreting something better than the main games.

When I learned X/Y was updating old Pokemon cries to be more in line with the 4th,5th and 6th gen cries, I got excited, thinking they'd finally use the Stadium cries in a proper Pokemon game.

Well all they did was slap some weird filter on most of them and redid like 4 of them properly.

I like in Stadium how every Pokemon has their classic cry, but it's updated to actually sound like proper animal noises.

When I think of how Pokemon sound in my head, it's not the garbled game boy sound effects, but rather, the Stadium style animal noises.

Mr-Joker

Banned
When I learned X/Y was updating old Pokemon cries to be more in line with the 4th,5th and 6th gen cries, I got excited, thinking they'd finally use the Stadium cries in a proper Pokemon game.

Well all they did was slap some weird filter on most of them and redid like 4 of them properly.

They fucking ruined Charizard's cry, instead of its' usual deep growl it has a high pitch snarl.

Really hope that they fix it.

Toxi

Banned
"Flame Pokemon-athon" focusing on Rapidash and Dodrio is weird when you consider the relative speed of different G1 Pokemon (Excluding legendaries).

• Electrode - 140
  • Jolteon - 130
  • Aerodactyl - 130
  • Dugtrio - 120
  • Alakazam - 120
  • Persian - 115
  • Starmie - 115
  • Gengar - 110
  • Tauros - 110
  • Kadabra - 105
  • Rapidash - 105
  • Scyther - 105
  • Electabuzz - 105
  • Charizard - 100
  • Fearow - 100
  • Raichu - 100
  • Ninetales - 100
  • Tentacruel - 100
  • Voltorb - 100

At 105 and 100 speed respectively, Rapidash and Dodrio were hardly the fastest Pokemon in RBY, so why were they the stars of the race episode? I kinda get a horse being the star because horse races are a thing, but even then you'd think a faster Pokemon like Tauros would have been the villain's Pokemon instead of Dodrio.

And also, how the flying fuck is Electrode so fast?

Top Bottom