• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

From what I recall, Speed in the games is more related to reaction time, rather than how fast they can move. Hence, Pokemon with a higher speed moving first in battle.

For instance... Dragonite being able to circle the globe in 16 hours, but having a Speed of 80.

Dryk

Though I would like another take on the "flightless" long necked bird that forgoes the multiple syndrome of some Gen 1 evos, like maybe an Emu or an exaggerated Cassowary since Ostrich is already covered.
They really need to set one of the games in Poke-Australia

"Flame Pokemon-athon" focusing on Rapidash and Dodrio is weird when you consider the relative speed of different G1 Pokemon (Excluding legendaries).

*snip*

At 105 and 100 speed respectively, Rapidash and Dodrio were hardly the fastest Pokemon in RBY, so why were they the stars of the race episode? I kinda get a horse being the star because horse races are a thing, but even then you'd think a faster Pokemon like Tauros would have been the villain's Pokemon instead of Dodrio.

And also, how the flying fuck is Electrode so fast?

Well Rapidash and Dodrio just make sense to have people riding them. Would be a little odd to have someone standing on top of a rolling Electrode.
Tauros could work yeah, but the choices don't seem weird to me at all.

Poison-type legendaries at last, hopefully.

Massive disgusting spiders as the cover legendaries please.

SapphireZora

Neo Member
Well Rapidash and Dodrio just make sense to have people riding them. Would be a little odd to have someone standing on top of a rolling Electrode.
Tauros could work yeah, but the choices don't seem weird to me at all.
I'm pretty sure this actually happened in that same episode. One of the contestants was riding an Electrode and it rolled down a hill with him running on top of it in a very cartoon-y fashion. I seem to remember it exploding at one point causing a pileup during the race. It's been a long time since I've seen that episode though.

I'm pretty sure this actually happened in that same episode. One of the contestants was riding an Electrode and it rolled down a hill with him running on top of it in a very cartoon-y fashion. I seem to remember it exploding at one point causing a pileup during the race. It's been a long time since I've seen that episode though.

Actually I think you're right, let me clarify: it would be weird to have a main character of the episode running along on top of an Electrode, rather than just a bit of comic relief in the background :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
JSN818x.png

#086 - Seel
Water

Seel is pure-Water, but to be honest I tend to forget this and think it's Water/Ice like its evolution. Game Freak didn't seem to want to make any non-evolved Pokemon Ice in Generation I, I guess because they were meant to be a "rare" Type due to being the only real counter to Dragon-type Pokemon, but Seel not being Ice is quite odd as it shares all the elements of its evolution that's befitting the Ice-type such as its color-scheme, flavor text, and its moveset. As a Water-type Pokemon, it suffers a similar issue to Ponyta and Fire-type Pokemon in that there are plenty of Water-type Pokemon the player has likely encountered and added to their team by the time Seel is catchable late in the game---plus, to be honest, I don't think Seel's design is that exciting to make players want to catch it. In fact, to be completely honest, I think Seel is the most forgettable Generation I Pokemon.

Yeah, like Ponyta (who is somewhat its brother-in-arms...you can even trade a Ponyta for Seel at Cinnabar Island), I just have never cared for Seel whatsoever. To be fair, I don't think Seel is a badly designed Pokemon, in fact I find it to be quite cute and expressive which gives it a leg up over Ponyta for me, it's just somewhat boring, basically just being a seal (and its English name didn't help matters) and nothing more. Seel's one of those Pokemon who whenever I see and am reminded of, I always feel a strange need to look over its design and become familiar with it, even though it's been around for years, and something about its design just feels off and foreign to me, like there's a weird mental block keeping me from accepting it as a Pokemon. It seems a lot of folks feel pretty similarly about it, at the very least most people agree the localized name is pretty bad, and I've seen it on a few "most forgettable Pokemon" lists over the years. But maybe I'm being a bit unfair to it, and it actually has a bunch of fans I'm unaware of?

Anyway, Seel is known as the "Sea Lion" Pokemon, although it doesn't specifically seem to share any traits with them, in particular lacking ears, one of the biggest traits sea lions are known for in comparison to the "earless" seals. The seal Seel most resembles is the young harp seal, a member of the "earless seal" family who, three days after birth, is known for having a snow-white coat for twelve days or so as it matures...although the PokeDex says Seel's fur is "light-blue". Like "true seals", Seel does not have back flippers that can be used like legs, rather it has the typical rear-flipper which gives it less land mobility but makes it a skilled swimmer, and also is designed to resemble a water-spout to tie in the Water-type. Seel is yet another Pokemon who has a horn, a popular design motif in Generation I, and while this is not based on a trait any real seals have, it does serve an important purpose by allowing Seel to break through ice while swimming in order to breathe. This is based on a behavior that real seels do engage in, although in their case as they lack a horn, they instead are forced to break through the ice by shoving it with their nose, or using their claws and teeth to slowly dig their way through. Like many seals, Seel loves colder climates, although in Generation I it was found in the presumably warm Seafoam Islands since there wasn't any frigid areas in Kanto. Fire Red and Leaf Green fixed this issue by introducing a new area known as Icefall Cave where Seel were also found and seemed a much better home for the cold-loving Pokemon.

In the show, Seel was somewhat one of Misty's "honorary Pokemon", not explicitly owned by her but seemed to be shared by her and her sisters and responsible for keeping the Cascade Badge safe within its mouth. It later got a "focus episode", of sorts, in "The Misty Mermaid" where it got to fight Team Rocket and ended up evolving. And, well, that's pretty much it for Seel. Sorry.

7bjaJPI.png

#087 - Dewgong
Water/Ice

Dewgong is the evolved form of Seel, and our first Ice-type Pokemon! Ice-type Pokemon have always been treated a bit poorly by Game Freak---they have a ton of weaknesses yet only one resistance and that's to themselves, and are treated like second-class Pokemon as there usually isn't too many of them, even in colder Regions, and they tend to be distributed very late into the adventure. On the other hand, Ice-type moves are extremely useful, but many Water-type Pokemon can use them and because they have better resistances, are usually picked over actual Ice-type Pokemon even if they don't get STAB. Dewgong is part-Water, a common combination with Ice in Generation I that's one of the few Ice-type combinations that doesn't result in a bunch of additional weaknesses, but unfortunately this means Dewgong was outclassed from the get-go by another Water/Ice Pokemon introduced in Generation I which is not only stronger, but is given to the player as part of the story and thus many players had no need for Dewgong.

Dewgong is pretty much just a larger, more streamlined version of Seel with nothing too exciting happening to it during evolution---that's alright, though, because I do think it looks different enough to feel like a decent evolution and has a good design, but like Seel it's not exactly an imaginative Pokemon. Even though its name in both the localization and the original references the dugong, it shares very little with the creatures, its body looking far skinnier than the creature's infamously known as the sea cows, and preferring cold waters opposite the warm waters the dugong and its relatives the manatees are known to live in. The one thing it does share is its paddle-like tail, which also brings to mind a tail you might see on a mermaid---this is no coincidence, because in the real world, it was manatees and dugongs who were believed to inspire the legend of the mermaid (and thus are known as Sirenia), and in the Pokemon World, it's Dugong. Yes, sailors who saw Dugong chilling on the ice somehow mistook it for a beautiful woman, which you gotta wonder how desperate sailors of the Pokemon World must be, especially considering there are plenty of Pokemon who are far more...you know...mermaid-esque. But I'm getting ahead of myself, we still have awhile till we start getting to the creepy, sexualized humanoid Pokemon.

So, I don't have much else to add about Dewgong in general, so let's talk about its role in the show---of course as I mentioned above, the Cerulean Gym Seel evolved into Dewgong to defeat Team Rocket, but sadly that's the last time I recall it ever doing anything of interest, or even really appearing. The only other time Dewgong got a chance to shine, as it really never got a "focus episode", was when it was used by Pryce, which was actually my favorite Gym Battle in Johto in all honesty. You know, a lot of folks praise Special especially for how it portrays the Gym Leaders, and I usually agree, but I'm gonna have to put my foot down here and say what they did with Pryce in Pokemon Special was ridiculous. I'm sure you know the "twist" right now, but I thought his motivation was extremely weak and didn't jive whatsoever with all the stuff he ended up doing because of what happened to him. Pryce in the show, on the other hand, was a far better written character, who like the Special version had a tragic relationship with a Pokemon, but stayed grounded in how he reacted to that event and was far more sympathetic because of it. None of this really has anything to do with Dewgong, but this entry was pretty short and I had to get that off my chest.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm yeah Seel line feels unremarkable. I feel like Walrein did it better. And Spheal is a much more cute critter.

Watch Da Birdie

Though I would like another take on the "flightless" long necked bird that forgoes the multiple syndrome of some Gen 1 evos, like maybe an Emu or an exaggerated Cassowary since Ostrich is already covered.

Not gonna lie, I wish this was a Pokemon:

One of my favorite new Mario enemies. "Conkdor" even sounds like a Pokemon.

Hmm yeah Seel line feels unremarkable. I feel like Walrein did it better. And Spheal is a much more cute critter.

Yeah, I pretty much agree, Spheal is one "do-over" Pokemon I find easily superior to the original.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be fair Swellow got better. But yeah Staraptor can rival Talonflame's usefulness, until they give Talonflame Close Combat anyway.

Toxi

Banned
I love Generation 1

But goddamn does it have some boring Water types.

come to think of it, that could actually apply to any generation. So many boring water types.

I love Generation 1

come to think of it, that could actually apply to any generation. So many boring water types.
I think the Finneon line are the most forgettable Pokemon all up.

Though I now remember them as being forgettable :p

Seel's in the same group as Drowzee for me where if I get one early and there's no one by far better than it I'll use it the entire game. I like him because you don't have to really use TM's since he learns really good moves from leveling. Doesn't mean as much now because of reusable TM's since gen 5 but still.

I have every catch-able, evolve-able, breed-able, and trade-able pokemon sitting in my Alpha Sapphire box. Will NOA ever do mythical pokemon events? I mean seriously, how about a freaking Mew at the very least....

I have every catch-able, evolve-able, breed-able, and trade-able pokemon sitting in my Alpha Sapphire box. Will NOA ever do mythical pokemon events? I mean seriously, how about a freaking Mew at the very least....

I just completed my Pokedex in X and I'm in the same situation. At 713 Pokémon but missing 8 mythical ones (although Mew isn't one of them).

Finneon was one of the last Pokémon I needed to finish my Pokedex amusingly. For gen 4 I mainly focused on the additional evolutions and forgot about some of the standard ones. Had a Lumineon sitting my bank for a really long time and forgot about it.

Finneon/Lumineon is notable for me for being a Butterfly Fish, and thus it learns some Bug type moves to fit the flavor.

Yet, despite it not being a particularly strong nor broken Pokemon, it doesn't know Quiver Dance.

Firemind

I love Generation 1

but gyarados is a flying eastern dragon serpent that can fire laser beams

Macka

Seel and Dewgong have to be some of my least favourites from Gen I. There's nothing interesting about them at all, imo.

I hate Dewgong. During the scene where Ash died in Mewtwo Strikes Back and all the Pokemon were crying, Dewgong's "GONGGGGGGGG!" wailing completely ruined the scene.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Been playing since Red/Blue but I fell off this generation so hard. Got sick of the wasted potential of the bottom screen and the forced addition of big cities with awful 3D movement. The big city in X/Y was even worse than the one in Black/White. I got there and just couldn't go on. I bought my 3DS solely to play new Pokemon on and I got about 15 hours into Pokemon Y and stopped. Also the remakes this gen are from the Gen 3 games, which was my least favorite generation so far (hated all the water), so I've just washed my hands of Pokemon and hoping Gen 7 is better.

I wish I could get back into Pokemon because I love (most of) the monster designs. I love playing thru the games and collecting monsters. But the series is in desperate need of proper modernization. Just slapping a huge city that's PAINFUL to navigate in the middle of your traditional 4 direction JRPG is the worst way to go.

Macka

I don't like that many ice types tbh.

Lapras, Cloyster and Articuno are great. Mamoswine is fantastic, and redeems the line. Sneasel and Weavile are easily my favourite Ice-types. That's pretty much it.

The Walrein line is well-designed but not to my tastes. Beartic was a massive disappointment as someone who was looking forward to a polar bear Pokemon for generations.

Razmos

I used a 'na na na na, can't touch this' strategy with Beartic, with snow cloak and holding brightpowder, that was fun.

Firemind

I don't like that many ice types tbh.

Lapras, Cloyster and Articuno are great. Mamoswine is fantastic, and redeems the line. Sneasel and Weavile are easily my favourite Ice-types. That's pretty much it.

The Walrein line is well-designed but not to my tastes. Beartic was a massive disappointment as someone who was looking forward to a polar bear Pokemon for generations.
I agree with everything. Beartic is just awful design. I mean, why does it have more fur texture around its crotch? It looks like a goddamn bush. :lol

I love Generation 1

This probably goes a way to explaining why water is one of my least liked types, sooo many of them and a fair chunk of them are simply there for the sake of being there.
Plus as Birdie pointed out in the Dewgong write up they basically steal the ice types thunder.

Ice types until gen 5 were generally some of the better designed Pokemon. Gen 4 in particular had a lot cool ice type Pokemon.

Ehhhh, I'll happily take Beartic and Vanilluxe over say Glalie and Jynx, I do like my ice types but they've never been entirely consistent in design to me.

My main disappointment regarding crotch-hair bear was simply that I remember its movepool being complete shit, I can overlook its fuzzy design flaw because ICICLE BEARD.
Actually the 3D model from X/Y loses the extra hair so the design kind of fixed itself.

Gen 4 has Abomasnow so no arguments there.

jnWake

Mamoswine and Weavile are the best Ice type designs. Aurorus is super cool too, shame it has so many weaknesses.

Macka

My main disappointment regarding crotch-hair bear was simply that I remember its movepool being complete shit, I can overlook its fuzzy design flaw because ICICLE BEARD.
Actually the 3D model from X/Y loses the extra hair so the design kind of fixed itself.
Icicle beard is actually my biggest issue with the design tbh. It just looks awkward. Hell, the whole design looks awkward. The angular head, the beady eyes, the weird oversized paws that it doesn't seem to know what to do with, and so are always stretched out wide in pretty much all depictions. Not a fan at all. :/ Crotch hair was the least of its problems.

I have always wondered if the angular look was supposed to make Beartic resemble a snowy mountain or something, it is a bit odd and like the vast majority of gen 5 designs an acquired taste.

Looking at Dewgong up there reminds me that one thing I do find with Beartic is that its design is almost simple enough to slot in with the earlier designs, not quite but it's almost there.

Azuran

Banned
Ice types until gen 5 were generally some of the better designed Pokemon. Gen 4 in particular had a lot cool ice type Pokemon.

Please tell me you're not talking crap about Aurorus or else..

Been playing since Red/Blue but I fell off this generation so hard. Got sick of the wasted potential of the bottom screen and the forced addition of big cities with awful 3D movement.

But the bottom screen is used to well in Gen VI unless you don't have friends or play online then otherwise it's obvious why it's completely useless for you.

Watch Da Birdie

I love Generation 1

Gen VI I think absolutely NAILED Water-type Pokemon though. The small number of Pokemon worked in its advantage because personally I liked all of them.

Actually, it's my favorite plain-fish Pokemon, just because I used one during my first trip through Japanese Pearl and liked its cry. I agree that it should learn Quiver Dance---and hell, maybe it should've been Water/Bug taking advantage of the "butterfly of the sea" thing to stand out and make up for the sins of Masquerain dropping that type.

I wish I could get back into Pokemon because I love (most of) the monster designs. I love playing thru the games and collecting monsters. But the series is in desperate need of proper modernization. Just slapping a huge city that's PAINFUL to navigate in the middle of your traditional 4 direction JRPG is the worst way to go.

Try the new Mystery Dungeon coming? It's got all the Pokemon and is a somewhat "simpler" experience without the fluff you probably don't like. But it's a dungeon-crawler, so you might not be a fan.

Icicle beard is actually my biggest issue with the design tbh. It just looks awkward. Hell, the whole design looks awkward. The angular head, the beady eyes, the weird oversized paws that it doesn't seem to know what to do with, and so are always stretched out wide in pretty much all depictions. Not a fan at all. :/ Crotch hair was the least of its problems.

Remember how I said the eyes of a Pokemon can ruin the design for me? Yeah...here's example #1! I actually have a love/hate relationship with him though.

I have always wondered if the angular look was supposed to make Beartic resemble a snowy mountain or something, it is a bit odd and like the vast majority of gen 5 designs an acquired taste.

Looking at Dewgong up there reminds me that one thing I do find with Beartic is that its design is almost simple enough to slot in with the earlier designs, not quite but it's almost there.

I'm pretty sure he's meant to resemble an ice-berg, with the top being smaller than the bottom, but it just doesn't look right. Bergmite basically does it better.

I've loved the late-game two-stage Ice Pokemon they've had since Gen III till Beartic messed it up...Snorunt and Glalie, Snover and Abomasnow, Bergmite and Avalugg, they're all amazing.

brinstar

Seel has one thing going for it-- it (somehow) was one of the select 4 to have those KFC dolls made of it back in the day.

StoneFox

The gong can learn encore. That, and its overall cuteness made me add one to my team. I hate that ice typing is piss poor, I honestly want to use it more but GF does not help balance it at all :(

Dewgong is one of the best Gen 1 mons! :3

Top Bottom