• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

I'm an Ice fan and Lapras is one of the Pokemon I use the most, especially since I can get it earlier than Spheal (Walrein is one of my favourite Ice pokemon) or Snover (Abomasnow is my favourite pokemon).

I hated how it was given to you in XY - "Hey kid, here's a Lapras"

I've always liked how Lapras fits in the whole Pokemon world. It's one of those Pokemon that make the world more believable and that is not just another animal roaming around.
I mean, Wingull and Pelipper don't look out of place, but they don't bring anything new or different to the world (unless you catch one, that is) and others like, say, Snorunt living in cold zones seem too unbelievable, especially when they're rather intelligent (as practically all Pokemon are).

Lapras fits in a nice in-between zone that makes it believable yet fantastic and, at the same time, it's a Pokemon that coexists with humans instead of just being there.

Oh you're playing Blaze Black 2? Are you doing regular mode or challenge mode? I did challenge mode my first time and it was hellishly difficult under my usual self-imposed conditions (no healing items in battle, no grinding).

Skyla in specific was probably one of the most difficult things I've ever done in a video game let alone any pokemon game. So many resets.

I switched to Easy Mode after losing to Cheren. It didn't help much. His pokemon only dropped one level. Roxie was terror to beat and I only did due to save states and a lucky critical hit. Colress was hard as fuck too, mainly because of his Porygon 2 and those random trainers in cities who you have to ask for a battle are sort of tough. The one outside of Clay's gym is particularly hard, primarily because of his Slaking.

Edit: What is Lapras supposed to be? When I was little it reminded me of the Lochness Monster.

Edit: What is Lapras supposed to be? When I was little it reminded me of the Lochness Monster.

Plesiosaur mixed with some sea turtle.

Bulbapedia says
Lapras is based on the fabled Loch Ness Monster in Scotland. The creature and this Pokémon resemble an extinct order of marine reptiles known as Plesiosauria. Lapras's shell and horn may be inspired by placodonts. Its intelligence, singing, and rarity can be comparable to some cetaceans, especially blue whales and humpback whales. Its long neck and robust body may also be inspired by the mast heads and hulls of Viking ships.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have never used a Lapras, not that I didn't want to use one just that every time I had the chance to use it I would opt for a different water Pokémon.

For me Lapras comes too late in the game for me to put it in my team.

XY went for the Kanto nostalgia and gave you a Lapras as well, right at the point you need Surf to continue your adventure, and it has a unique Surf model, but it lacked the same impact and felt a bit shallow, as in Red and Blue you were rewarded with one after you made your way through a difficult dungeon battling against Team Rocket while XY just handed it to you without any subtlety, treating it no different from all the other items NPCs just hand out from the goodness of their hearts. Well, that's XY for you!

I hated the pointless gen 1 pandering in X and Y, Game Freak might as well made a gen 1 remake.

So, who does everyone think is the most worthless pokemon in the game? I've got to say Unown. It doesn't evolve, has shit stats, and can only learn hidden power

Personally I would say Megas but that would be an easy answer.

So I would say Bibarel, I can't stand looking at his stupid face taking up a spot on my team doing nothing but being a HM reserve.

I never used Lapras myself despite getting it every time I played Blue or Yellow. I used a Dewgong instead. We know it's part of the canon team for Red. His Lapras was one of the harder ones to take down in Silver and it had the benefit of being immune to hail. I think some of its moves are buffed from it too???

Hail doesn't buff any ice type move, it just makes it that Blizzard will always hit.

He had an Espeon? I don't remember that and it seems random considering Espeons weren't in his game and in the anime and pokemon Yellow Blue was the Evee trainer.

Red had an Espeon in the original Gold and Silver, it made his team far more balanced.

Also it wasn't random as you get an Eevee in gen 1 so that's where his Espeon came from, plus the animé has no baring on the show.

I have never used a Lapras, not that I didn't want to use one just that every time I had the chance to use it I would opt for a different water Pokémon.

For me Lapras comes too late in the game for me to put it in my team.

I hated the pointless gen 1 pandering in X and Y, Game Freak might as well made a gen 1 remake.

Personally I would say Megas but that would be an easy answer.

So I would say Bibarel, I can't stand looking at his stupid face taking up a spot on my team doing nothing but being a HM reserve.

Hail doesn't buff any ice type move, it just makes it that Blizzard will always hit.

Red had an Espeon in the original Gold and Silver, it made his team far more balanced.

Also it wasn't random as you get an Eevee in gen 1 so that's where his Espeon came from, plus the animé has no baring on the show.
Megas are super useful. I mean, Mega Rayquaza is even good enough to be banned from most competitive play altogether. Just because you don't like a Pokemon doesn't make it worthless

Dryk

I had a lot of fun with Lapras in the early days of XY. It can take hits like an absolute champ and nobody expected Freeze Dry.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Megas are super useful. I mean, Mega Rayquaza is even good enough to be banned from most competitive play altogether. Just because you don't like a Pokemon doesn't make it worthless

I wasn't being serous with my Mega statement, since I don't accept them as Pokémon and just view them as form change they can't be fall under being the worse Pokémon. ;p

Anyway no Pokémon is worthless in my eyes, there may be some that I am not fond of but they have their uses and fanbase.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I can't believe I missed out on the Milotic defense force. Milotic is like top 5 GOAT pokemon. Gyarados is a shitty preteen sketchbook ragenaut. Anybody thinking gyarados is "cool" needs help.

Toxi

Banned
So, who does everyone think is the most worthless pokemon in the game? I've got to say Unown. It doesn't evolve, has shit stats, and can only learn hidden power
Male Combee might be worse.

• Male Combee also doesn't evolve.
  • Unown has a much better offensive stat of 72, allowing it to actually kill things with Hidden Power; Combee has offensive stats of 30.
  • The only stat Combee has that's superior to Unown is speed, which is completely useless when both are incredibly slow.
  • Unknown only learns one move, but at least you can choose the typing. Combee learns Bug Buzz and Tailwind and nothing else useful, and its attack stats are so low it can barely use the offensive moves.
  • Unknown has a below average pure Psychic typing. Combee has one of the worst typings in the game, with a 4x weakness to Rock and 2x weaknesses to Electric, Flying, Fire, and Ice.
  • You can make an Unown team where they spell FUCKER. You can't do that with male Combee.

I guess male Combee can take Eviolite, but why the fuck are you using Eviolite on a Combee?
Whoah this sounds awesome, I know what I'm watching
It actually kinda sucks because Slowbeef is incredibly dense when it comes to learning the game and the Nuzlocke rules punish him hard. There are some great moments (The battle against Lt Surge is amazing), but it's overall bad. The best parts are when he's surprised by things that everybody else already knows, like the various surprise rival battles.

I'd love to see him start something similar but with more lenient rules for another Pokemon game.

Toxi

Banned
Combee is like the ultimate asshole move. Only 1 out of every 8 Combees can evolve, and so most people who caught a Combee and trained it ended up with a fucking useless bee hogging up their experience with no reward.

Oh yeah, and he looks really stupid. Vespiquen looks awesome, but your male Combee will be a stupid trio of vapidly smiling honeycombs for all eternity.

Sunkern actually has the lowest stat total of all Pokemon though, but at least Sunkern has a move pool that is actually a fairly average Grass Type Pokemon's Movepool.

ffdgh

I can't believe I missed out on the Milotic defense force. Milotic is like top 5 GOAT pokemon. Gyarados is a shitty preteen sketchbook ragenaut. Anybody thinking gyarados is "cool" needs help.
Still disappointed milotic and flygon didn't get a mega in oras...

Razmos

11224529_303729866463973_4097575068487532207_n.jpg
Not sure if want.

Kinda want

want

WarAdept

but I guess Ice fans have to take what they can get...oh, wait, Ice has no fans.

I've always had a soft spot for the underdog. It's why I love Grass and Ice so much (although Grass is in a pretty good position).

Mamoswine, Frostlass, Weavile and Avalugg are always awesome to me. I like Walrein too but he suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks in battle.

Quick look at Bulbapedia and holy shit at the amount of Ice types available. Only 35. In contrast, Water (the most populated type) has a staggering 124 Pokemon.

hoenntrumpets.jpg

ffdgh

I've always had a soft spot for the underdog. It's why I love Grass and Ice so much (although Grass is in a pretty good position).

Mamoswine, Frostlass, Weavile and Avalugg are always awesome to me. I like Walrein too but he suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks in battle.

Quick look at Bulbapedia and holy shit at the amount of Ice types available. Only 35.

Who needs ice types when just about every water pokemon can use most of the ice related attacks without the crippling weaknesses. /s

Toxi

Banned

Quick look at Bulbapedia and holy shit at the amount of Ice types available. Only 35. In contrast, Water (the most populated type) has a staggering 124 Pokemon.

hoenntrumpets.jpg
I've used mono-Ice teams on Pokemon showdown's mono-type. Mamoswine is easily the best Pokemon for such a team outside if a mandatory Rapid Spinner or Defogger to get rid of rocks. I had some pretty great wins; my favorite was taking down a mono-Steel team with the combination of Shell Smash Cloyster and Mamoswine.

On a funny note, Walrein at one point was infamously obnoxious in the lower tiers of Smogon for the "Stallrein" strategy, which involved using a Walrein with leftovers, Ice Body, and Protect to stall out opponents until they died of hail damage or boredom.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Who needs ice types when just about every water pokemon can use most of the ice related attacks without the crippling weaknesses. /s

Yep pretty much, Water type Pokémon can do ice type job better than Ice type.

Ice type only grace was that they get stab on ice and are super effective against Dragon... then Fairy came along and did a better job than them.

Ice really really need a buff, but alas Game Freak decided that it would be funny to have the ice gym leader to mock them.

The moral of the story is that Game Freak are a very cruel developer.

#buffElsa

Yep pretty much, Water type Pokémon can do ice type job better than Ice type.

Ice type only grace was that they get stab on ice and are super effective against Dragon... then Fairy came along and did a better job than them.

Ice really really need a buff, but alas Game Freak decided that it would be funny to have the ice gym leader to mock them.

The moral of the story is that Game Freak are a very cruel developer.

#buffElsa

Ice is an amazing offensive typing for moves, even beyond just dragons. And most major dragons have a 4x weakness to ice, which is significantly worse than a 2x weakness to Fairy

jnWake

Lapras has always reminded me of the sea monster from Super Mario 64.

Bibi_64.png

I tend to nickname them Dorrie because of that.

CazTGG

I'd say that, Combee and Slaking are near the bottom. Admittedly, Slaking has great stats aside from its Special Defense, but it's completely hindered by its ability: Truant. This makes it only able to use an attack every two turns (though you can switch out on the second one assuming you don't use multi-turn charging attacks like Hyper Beam). This ability cripples any potential it could have had (I assume this was done to make the fifth gym leader easier even though it was pretty easy to just stick a Geodude/Graveler in front and Rollout until you win) by making it either have to switch or take a hit every other turn with no reason other than... it has a high Attack stat? It's speed is 100 so yes it's fairly fast but there's still a lot of Pokémon equally fast, if not, faster than it, many of which can knock it out in spite of its beefy HP. Even in the game in which it was introduced, it wouldn't be the most viable Pokémon if this ability was changed, so it baffles me that they have yet to give it a second one. You'd think it would get a Hidden Ability to resolve this come Black 2, but even now it's one of only a handful that don't have a second ability of any kind. In Doubles, it can work if you can change its ability or remove it via Gastro Acid (though this takes up a moveslot) but in singles, it's essentially giving your opponent a free hit, assuming they don't just use Protect and ruin any chance they had at hitting them.

I'd say that, Combee and Slaking are near the bottom. Admittedly, Slaking has great stats aside from its Special Defense, but it's completely hindered by its ability: Truant. This makes it only able to use an attack every two turns (though you can switch out on the second one assuming you don't use multi-turn charging attacks like Hyper Beam). This ability cripples any potential it could have had (I assume this was done to make the fifth gym leader easier even though it was pretty easy to just stick a Geodude/Graveler in front and Rollout until you win) by making it either have to switch or take a hit every other turn with no reason other than... it has a high Attack stat? It's speed is 100 so yes it's fairly fast but there's still a lot of Pokémon equally fast, if not, faster than it, many of which can knock it out in spite of its beefy HP. Even in the game in which it was introduced, it wouldn't be the most viable Pokémon if this ability was changed, so it baffles me that they have yet to give it a second one. You'd think it would get a Hidden Ability to resolve this come Black 2, but even now it's one of only a handful that don't have a second ability of any kind. In Doubles, it can work if you can change its ability or remove it via Gastro Acid (though this takes up a moveslot) but in singles, it's essentially giving your opponent a free hit, assuming they don't just use Protect and ruin any chance they had at hitting them.

Slaking is far from the worst, since it can actually kill stuff pretty easily.

Crayolan

I switched to Easy Mode after losing to Cheren. It didn't help much. His pokemon only dropped one level. Roxie was terror to beat and I only did due to save states and a lucky critical hit. Colress was hard as fuck too, mainly because of his Porygon 2 and those random trainers in cities who you have to ask for a battle are sort of tough. The one outside of Clay's gym is particularly hard, primarily because of his Slaking.

Those random trainers are actually the Hoenn Gym Leaders. There's 1 in each gym town and they're supposed to be slightly less tough than the actual gym leaders.

Man though if you haven't even seen challenge mode, it's crazy. Every gym leader has 6 pokemon with moves that are straight up unfair at their current level (see: level 18 Koffing with Thunderbolt and Flamethrower). Aside from Elesa who I lucked out with and the 8th gym leader who kinda sucks every one took me many attempts, with Roxie, Burgh, and Skyla all taking me multiple hours to do.

Amazingly enough my team MVP managed to be a Furret, being a powerhouse early in the game with STAB/Silk Scarf Return and a great revenge killer later in the game with STAB/Silk Scarf Quick Attack+Sucker Punch+Retaliate. Took a hit pretty well too. Must've had 31 IV's on attack or something it was so good.

The Lapras and Gyarados talk reminded me of how awesome the Surf theme was in Gold, Silver, Crystal.

I mean just listen to this. The waltz is incredible. They got some magic out of that sound chip. Man, do I miss Go Ichinose's stuff. :(

Here's a remix from PokeRemixStudio. Guy is awesome.

PokeRemixStudio is the GOAT. Just about everything he puts out is amazing.

Uhhhh Slaking has stats rivaling or exceeding most legendaries and a diverse movepool. Without that ability he would be extremely good, and even with it he's still pretty good in-game.

He's also one of my favourite Pokemon but that's irrelevant for this discussion.

wmlk

Slaking is awesome and fun to use. I always use one. Battling Norman and seeing how powerful it was a good enough sell.

It's usually my best Pokémon at the Elite Four.

Toxi

Banned
LOL what

Slaking is nowhere near as useless as male Combee. For one, Slaking can actually kill things.

And if Slaking didn't have Truant, it'd be pretty absurd. It has an enormous move pool, amazing attack, amazing defense (remember, base 150 hp+100 defense), and good speed. The only "bad" stat is special defense, which gets cushioned by that giant hp stat.

Fairy is probably my least favorite type. None of them look any good, design-wise.

Talking about the new ones introduced btw, not the ones that were re-branded as Fairy.

I was joking. I love the Snorunt, Snover, and Bergmite lines to death.

I'm not sure what I'd consider my least favorite Type...

okay you're cool again

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure what I'd say my least favorite type is. Probably fairy, to be honest.

Though like Beef said, it's really only the new ones introduced that I'm not crazy about. The ones that gained that typing from previous gens don't bother me much.

Top Bottom