• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Seil

Out of all the Johto starters, my only favorite is Cyndaquil. Not Quilava, not Typhlosion. Just Cyndaquil. And that's because it can 'sheathe' his its flame quils. Also, it's not a dumb flame mohawk or a flame mane or a flame BUTT. Yuck.

They're all able to "sheathe" their flames as you put it. In fact, the Gen VI animations have them put away when not attacking.

I like the line as a whole, but I've always preferred Quilava to Typhlosion design-wise.

Event pokemon sound terrible. I only heard about Mew.

I went with Totodile in my first playthrough, but in Soul Silver I decided to give Meganium a try. Meganium's moveset was ok. I would have preferred if it could learn Sleep Powder.

Also since he just got finished with Mewtwo a little while ago, I just ran into one in Black 2. Should I use my Master Ball for it or is there a more difficult Pokemon I could use it for?
bglnvSi.png

Mewtwo isn't in Black 2 is it? Unless it's a hack, then I'm not sure what other legendaries are in the game to justify using a Master Ball.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Biggest takeaway from that post is that Ash's father has been revealed!?

That was the #1 thing I hoped to see someday when I watched the show 20 years ago, aside from explaining the Ho-oh Ash saw before we knew what Ho-oh was.

479064-silver.jpg

Badass with a cute Pokemon... I like it

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yay you finished the original 151, but there are still more Pokémon waiting for you.

Anyway as I have said before Jotho is cruel to Chikorita and Grass Pokémon in general since all but 2 Jotho gym leader had a type advantage against grass type.

But Bayleef was useful against Whitney since poison power was super useful and mine was female so Attract didn't affect her.

Are the genwunners going to stop browsing this thread now?

Ha ha, I assume that they will stick around for gen 2 and then drop out during gen 3 with a few making snarky comments about later gen design.

II is weird because it's basically just a Gen I expansion pack. Gold and Silver didn't even require the Game Boy Color.

Gold and Silver feel a lot like Black 2 and White 2, except with a new cast of Pokemon (that are mostly ignored in game).

Agreed, gen 2 was greatly overshadowed by gen 1 and never steps out of it. The remake kinda gave them a limelight but Kanto still hogged it a bit.

This thing feels so lazy though. It's like they just removed the Poison typing from the Bulbasaur line and then just swapped the Defense and Sp. Attack stats.

You should compare the Charmander line stats with the Cyndaquil line stats, the result will surprise you.

Here's my G/S story - It launched during a period where there were significant delays for PAL releases, especially on Nintendo platforms. I went on holiday to the US coincidentally at the time it launched and encouraged our parents to get one of each version. The rest of the holiday was spent hogging wall chargers and burning through AAA batteries. At one point we were walking down to the beach in the evening and the suddenly the game turned to night and we freaked the fuck out. On going back home the previews for the game were only just starting up, the only info anyone had was the appearance of some Gen2 Pokemon in the first movie and I had the whole game. I think I played through the rest with an 8-hour time difference on the in-game clock.

CassSept

Gen II is that one weird case in which my opinion of it went down considerably as time went by. I mean the games are great, even if it's obvious now how screwed the level curve is, but most of the Pokemon are just boring, useless, forgettable. I guess Lugia was that good that we didn't care back then.

Now, Feraligatr, ehhhh. It just looks weird. Off. Like not a Pokemon. Maybe it's because the sprite underwent such many changes, but now that I look at it it just doesn't seem too familiar. There are Gen VI Pokemon that feel more right than Feraligatr does. I guess I'm in a minority here though.

"a whole new place, with a brand new attitude".

Sooo gooood. I remember exactly where I was and how I watched the first Johto episode, it was a revelation. That opening was just so hype. Waiting in front of the tv for that dumb orange island opening when BOOOM TOOO-DOO-TOO-TOO-TOOOOO-TOOO MOTHERFUCKER.

What was with Johto and having Pokemon who wanted to be Psychic types, but weren't?

Both Noctowl and Stantler are portrayed as being Psychic Pokemon, but neither are. Like, they learn Psychic moves and the anime always makes them seem Psychic.

Having a Psychic/Flying early game bird could have been really cool.

And then you have the opposite with Lugia. Who could have been Water/Psychic, and then years later be given Levitate if they really wanted.

Does the Elite Four in Black 2 have an innate boost to their crit chance? Because I'm getting blown away by crits here. Krookodile just crit Earthquake three times in a row to OHKO three of my Pokemon. For some reason he's also faster than Chandelure that's almost 10 levels higher than him...

The hax is unreal. If I confuse them, they attack just fine and are cured the next turn. But if I get confused, it's for a full five turns of self harm...

Does the Elite Four in Black 2 have an innate boost to their crit chance? Because I'm getting blown away by crits here. Krookodile just crit Earthquake three times in a row to OHKO three of my Pokemon. For some reason he's also faster than Chandelure that's almost 10 levels higher than him...

The hax is unreal. If I confuse them, they attack just fine and are cured the next turn. But if I get confused, it's for a full five turns of self harm...

Chandelure is also naturally slower than Krookodile. The RNG gods are probably displeased with you.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Unlike other gen, I got into gen 2 a bit later, but that was for the best as I didn't have a Game Boy Colour so I played them on my Game Boy Advance.

Gen 3 and 4 have some of my favourite designs ever. Gen 5 and 6 are kind of meh in comparison.

Personally I like all Pokémon design throughout the gens, though there are some that I am not fond off.

Too bad the Johto arc ended up being shit, the amount of garbage filler episodes it had was insane.

Yeah, the Johto arc was just dull and Ash's team never really grew and developed, heck only 1 of his Pokémon evolved and that was Chikorita whom didn't fully evolve into a Meganium.

I question why you are using a Chandelure against a Krookodile, since Krookodile has the type advantaged.

Its somehow easier than designing team synergy.

Azure J

Toxi

Banned
The main problem about the Chikorita line from a gameplay perspective is that they're defensively-inclined pure Grass types. Grass doesn't work very well as a defensive type. It's weak to Fire, Flying, Ice, Poison, and Bug. That's a lot of things to be weak to. It has some nice Resistances to Ground and Water so it's not the worst defensive type, but it's pretty awful.

Then it doesn't help that Johto hates Grass types. The first two gyms are Flying and Bug for fuck's sake.

Basically, Chikorita sucks in-game and mostly sucks in multiplayer.

Yeah, the AI can be a bitch at times especially the bosses. Stat hitting moves always seem to hit with them while mine's miss most of the time, sleep doesn't last long, and critical hits have a tendency to be high. Resetting might get you better luck and I found the combo of

Attract, Substitute, Swords Dance, and a high damaging attack to be op. I cleared Marshal completely with one pokemon with that moveset.

V-Faction

They're all able to "sheathe" their flames as you put it. In fact, the Gen VI animations have them put away when not attacking.

I like the line as a whole, but I've always preferred Quilava to Typhlosion design-wise.

Duh.

But it's not a mohawk or a mane or a weird butt-tail, like I said in my original post. It's badass quills, yo. Makes way more sense.

I thought it was interesting how in Gen 1, the grass starter gave the player an easier time against quite a few of the gyms, whereas in Gen 2, the grass starter had bad matchups against the majority of the gyms, essentially flipping things around making the grass type starter go from "easy mode" to "hard mode".

Daemul

The main problem about the Chikorita line from a gameplay perspective is that they're defensively-inclined pure Grass types. Grass doesn't work very well as a defensive type. It's weak to Fire, Flying, Ice, Poison, and Bug. That's a lot of things to be weak to. It has some nice Resistances to Ground and Water so it's not the worst defensive type, but it's pretty awful.

Then it doesn't help that Johto hates Grass types. The first two gyms are Flying and Bug for fuck's sake.

Yeah I'm not a big user of grass types, I used to be back in the day when the Fire-Water-Grass triumvirate was the core of all my teams, but due to all the weaknesses it has to some of the most common Pokemon types you come across and many of the best grass types having extremely limited movepools and coverage (Lilligant ;_;), I've reduced my use of the grass type down to literally zero.

GameFreak make grass types better please, and make Lilligant part Fairy ffs

Smogon OU Grass types for XY

Breloom
Celebi
Ferrothorn
Serperior
Venusaur

Only Serperior is pure Grass, and is OU because he has an amazing ability.

So Grass isn't that bad, you just need a great ability, or a good alt type, or really, really good stats. Or cheat and Mega Evolve.

Firemind

Spore OP nerf pls

That didn't stop Charmander from being the most popular starter. /bitter

jnWake

Yeah, the AI can be a bitch at times especially the bosses. Stat hitting moves always seem to hit with them while mine's miss most of the time, sleep doesn't last long, and critical hits have a tendency to be high. Resetting might get you better luck and I found the combo of

Attract, Substitute, Swords Dance, and a high damaging attack to be op. I cleared Marshal completely with one pokemon with that moveset.

I have always wondered if the RNG is effectively skewed to favor the AI or if it's just a case of player perception. It's pretty hard to gauge probabilites while playing since people only tend to notice when they don't work in their favor.

Daemul

Breloom
Celebi
Ferrothorn
Serperior
Venusaur

So Grass isn't that bad, you just need a great ability, or a good alt type, or really, really good stats. Or cheat and Mega Evolve.

RIP 90% of Grass types lol

But seriously though, all pure grass types should be able to learn ground moves at the very least, ground moves shouldn't be just given to the shitty ones like Sunflora, who can learn Earth Power ffs. Why can't Lilli learn Earth Power? GameFreak please.

Azuran

Banned

Breloom
Celebi
Ferrothorn
Serperior
Venusaur

It's okay, King Amoonguss rules VGC so that makes up for Smogon hating grass types. Virizion and Whimsicott are also viable in that format.

Razmos

I remember getting a poster in a magazine when I was a kid, it featured all the new Johto pokemon and it was my first introduction to Gold and Silver, I put it on my wall and looked at it all the time. I remember Spinarak most of all, despite not actually catching one when I actually got to play the game.

I don't post much but I just spent the last week and a half reading through this thread in my spare time and I finally caught up. This thread is fantastic and inspired me to download Omega Ruby on the eShop and give it a try. I hated Gen III back in the day but I'm really enjoying it now.

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks for such an interesting thread Birdie, keep up the good work!

I have always wondered if the RNG is effectively skewed to favor the AI or if it's just a case of player perception. It's pretty hard to gauge probabilites while playing since people only tend to notice when they don't work in their favor.

I notice both times I don't know what you're talking about. Attract seems to always fuck up either side when its on. The AI in general seems better prepared. I think they make better use of items and always seem prepared for any type of Pokemon I have.

Bladenic

Breloom
Celebi
Ferrothorn
Serperior
Venusaur

Wow. only 5 Pokemon, that's awful. I love Grass but GF needs to stop shitting on it. Especially when Fire and Water are so much better, it's really not fair for Grass to be so bad when it's part of the starting lineup.

jwhit28

I don't post much but I just spent the last week and a half reading through this thread in my spare time and I finally caught up. This thread is fantastic and inspired me to download Omega Ruby on the eShop and give it a try. I hated Gen III back in the day but I'm really enjoying it now.

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks for such an interesting thread Birdie, keep up the good work!

The same happened to me. I'm trying to hold out for Nintendo's eshop sales to see if I can save money on Ruby or Sapphire, but the thread is making it difficult.

Wow. only 5 Pokemon, that's awful. I love Grass but GF needs to stop shitting on it. Especially when Fire and Water are so much better, it's really not fair for Grass to be so bad when it's part of the starting lineup.

You also have Amoongus in VGC format who is easily one of the best and most common pokemon in the format

Also fire type only has 3 ou pokemon

Toxi

Banned
Grass isn't bad. I was just saying it's not a great defensive type, which it really isn't. The only OU defensive Grass types are Venusaur (Has Poison to negate the Poison and Bug weaknesses and Thick Fat to negate the Fire and Ice) and Ferrothorn (Steel negates the Ice, Bug, Poison, and Flying weaknesses). That's a major part of why Meganium sucks.
Why is this? What is it about Doubles that makes him so valuable?
SPORE

Rage Powder is good too since it allows Amoongus to protect a bro, but seriously, SPORE. 100% sleep chance is just so good.

SPORE

Rage Powder is good too since it allows Amoongus to protect a bro, but seriously, SPORE. 100% sleep chance is just so good.

It's really a combo of both. Hence why Breloom is nowhere near as popular in VGC as Amoonguss

edit: Though I guess Breloom suffers from being ridiculously easy prey for Talonflame, given it's poor defence and quad flying weakness

PK Gaming

Breloom
Celebi
Ferrothorn
Serperior
Venusaur

To add to this, a Pokemon's tier position on Smogon doesn't necessarily determine their viability.

There are plenty of Pokemon who don't make the "OU cut" but are still good/decent in that format. For example:

Gourgeist-XL, Chesnaught, Shaymin, Roserade, Whimsicott, Sceptile, Amoongus are viable picks in standard OU, and other formats like UU and below have Pokemon like Abomasnow and Rotom-Mow who are quite strong. Grass on its own seems like a poor type, but it more than makes up for this due to its valuable resistance to Water- and Ground-type and other factors that are unique to them (Such as Spore, Celebi's ability to cover Fighting- and Ground by itself, etc). It's certainly a flawed type, but undeniably useful.

It's okay, King Amoonguss rules VGC so that makes up for Smogon hating grass types. Virizion and Whimsicott are also viable in that format.

You realize that there are more viable Grass-types in just OU alone than VGC, right?

wmlk

I think Pokémon GO can open up possibilities for some really cool events. Making it so that you can get an Event Pokémon near your home with other people, and then transferring the Pokémon to the newest game and doing that.

Also, the Arceus event for HGSS was really pretty awesome. Sinjoh was an awesome connection, especially with Lightning making yet another appearance. Although I have no idea how it makes sense geographically.

Azuran

Banned
You realize that there are more viable Grass-types in just OU alone than VGC, right?

Yes? I was just adding extra number to the list from the format I'm most familiar with. I haven't played singles in over a year so I wasn't going to start naming Pokemon from a meta that's unknown to me these days.

jwhit28

I think Pokémon GO can open up possibilities for some really cool events. Making it so that you can get an Event Pokémon near your home with other people, and then transferring the Pokémon to the newest game and doing that.

Also, the Arceus event for HGSS was really pretty awesome. Sinjoh was an awesome connection, especially with Lightning making yet another appearance. Although I have no idea how it makes sense geographically.

Have they done an event pokemon that spreads through streetpass like a virus? I know streetpass can be manipulated but it would be neat to see the pokemon introduced in say just NYC and then seeing how long it would be before it made it to LA.

PK Gaming

Yes? I was just adding extra number to the list from the format I'm most familiar with. I haven't played singles in over a year so I wasn't going to start naming Pokemon from a meta that's unknown to me these days.

Oh, I thought you were under the impression that Smogon as a whole was biased against Grass-types. Sorry.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I love Furret too

I squeed when in XY opening Volt you see it carrying a paper bag full shopping stuff

Azuran

Banned
Oh, I thought you were under the impression that Smogon as a whole was biased against Grass-types. Sorry.

Haha no worries. I was just defending the validity of the forever misunderstood poor grass types.

Too bad my boy Talonflame laughs in all of their faces.
Fuck Cradily D:

Top Bottom