• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Wooper and Quagsire are great. It's hard to make something look so derpy yet so cute haha.

Yep they're adorable and I love the type because it seems trolly. When you see blue you think water and the first thing you use is an electric attack, but it doesn't work. I never used a Quag though. One day...

Honchcrow seems cool, but I don't think I ran into one or a Murkrow while I was playing Black 2 or if I did it was too late into the game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The likes of Gliscor, Honchkrow, Weavile and Mismagius should receive medals for delivering justice to a bunch of solid yet underdeveloped pokemon.
Gen 4 is so odd in that respect, the back end of its dex with all the previous gen evos is pretty neat but I'm expecting a lot of the earlier Sinnoh mons to be like the current situation we've had with some Johto pokemon where we'll be faced with another string of "oh yeah, that pokemon is a thing that happened".

Like Burmy and its evos.

Gen IV is interesting because it's tied with Gen VI for the least amount of single-stage Pokemon---it actually wins out if you consider Rotom as being capable of "evolving", so it's different from Johto which had quite a lot of non-evolving Pokemon.

But yeah, it's the early Generation IV families which drag it down in my opinion.

The biggest problem about generation 2 in terms of dark types was the real lack of moves. Crunch was limited to only a few select Pokemon. Faint Attack was a piece of shit.

Still Murkrow was again useable with Drill Peck, Toxic, Faint Attack, and Whirlwind.

Anth0ny

Wooper was actually the first non-starter Johto Pokemon I caught. For some reason I remember that. It was pretty cool.

I had Quagsire through the entire game. Beat Red with him in my party! Always liked those two for that reason :)

Azuran

Banned
How can you say you like Quagsire the least? I mean, there's Gastrodon, man.

Unlike Swampert, Quagsire can Recover! And it has two useful abilities! And it's just the cutest! <3

YO HOLD UP WE ARE NOT SHITTALKING GASTRODON TO DEFEND FREAKING QUAGSIRE OF ALL THINGS

Wooper was actually the first non-starter Johto Pokemon I caught. For some reason I remember that. It was pretty cool.

I had Quagsire through the entire game. Beat Red with him in my party! Always liked those two for that reason :)

How come you didn't catch a Hoot-Hoot or a bug first?

Anth0ny

How come you didn't catch a Hoot-Hoot or a bug first?

didn't hoot hoot only show up at night? I did most of my playing during the day.

regardless, hoot hoot was a flying type. flying types are/were ass. wooper was a cool water type, so I needed one alongside my fire starter. realizing it was ground as well was MIND BLOWING.

You have a really weird taste in pokemon man.

Because somebody asked for it:

d3vRo.gif

/dead

perfect thisisfine.gif

didn't hoot hoot only show up at night? I did most of my playing during the day.

regardless, hoot hoot was a flying type. flying types are/were ass. wooper was a cool water type, so I needed one alongside my fire starter. realizing it was ground as well was MIND BLOWING.

That doesn't even make sense.....

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Staraptor is the first really solid Normal/Flying. Swellow is close, and on the right team can be vicious (There's an absolutely sick one in Pokémon Colosseum's colosseum mode)

Honchkrow has made it so I can't see Murkrow as anything but a scruffy mafia goon wearing a silly fedora.

I know originally it was a witch with its crooked beak, broom tail and witch's hat. But now it's a fedora, a scrappy beak, and matted feathers. The witch thing was pretty boring.

Also making the crows of the world into the Pokemon Mafia was a way to take one of the most boring Pokemon ever and bring a lot of personality behind it.

Murkrow looks like a first stage evolution. It always has. No idea what the heck they were thinking making it a late game single stage Pokemon. It's probably why Honchkrow just sort of happened and fits in so well, it's as if Murkrow always evolved.

i never actually saw murkrow as a witch, even as a kid he reminded me of the mafia, which was why he was one of my favorite pokemons, so adorable, his evolution makes him even more adorable since it basically becomes the godfather, but i like the pre evolution more. when I play pokemon hacks I always have a murkrow in my squad

It's also a pretty ruthless boss as well, as it never forgives a mistake made by any of its henchmen
This probably comes from crows being shown to have grudges against specific humans who bother them. They manage to remember their face, apparently for their entire life, as they've done tests on it where the crows didn't see the face for years and then attacked it instantly when reintroduced.

Staraptor is the first really solid Normal/Flying. Swellow is close, and on the right team can be vicious (There's an absolutely sick one in Pokémon Colosseum's colosseum mode)

I had fun watching a few people stream a Pokémon Emerald randomizer race and getting trolled by a gym leader with a Swellow with Aeroblast.

I've used a Honchcrow once but I can't remember what game. Might have been Soulsilver but I'm not certain. I've tried using a Wooper a lot in gen 2 but never got it much past level 25 or so before giving up on it.

Ah now we're beginning to get rolling, love me some Wooper, the first Gen 2 pokemon that grabbed my younger selfs attention. I mean how could it not with that big ol' grin.

I really like Murkrow's witch like design but Honchkrow's mafia angle tops even that, I've never used this line due to their scarcity (plus I had pearl, not diamond) but I feel like I might try them out soon.

Delio

Aw i missed the wave of posting Pokemon teams we had in the old days. I'll just do it now if you guys dont mind

Gen 1 team
Spr_1b_003.png
Spr_1b_018.png
Spr_1b_026.png
Spr_1b_144.png
Spr_1b_143.png
Spr_1b_012.png

I know I remember Articuno being my powerhouse once I got it and it carried me through the league. Ice Beam ftw. Also a very ASH team.

Gen 2
Spr_2g_157.png
Spr_2g_164.png
Spr_2g_181.png
Spr_2g_197.png
Spr_2g_162.png
Spr_2g_248.png

Oh boy I have fond memories of my Gen 2 team. Grinding to get Tyranitar before I fought Red. Umbreon with Shadowball hitting everything. Ampharos being my highest level pokemon and being able to take Red out as my last pokemon left. Furret getting shocking kills with Surf. Love my Gen 2 team a bunch <3. Until my uncle stole my game to pawn it for money :/ Luckly I remade them in Crystal then later again in Heart Gold.

Okay weird now the sprites arent showing ;_;

NEO0MJ

Wooper is one of the most absolutely adorable Pokemon ever conceived. And didn't Quagsire once have a role in uber due to its perfect mix of stats, moves, and ability?

Firemind

Wooper is one of the most absolutely adorable Pokemon ever conceived. And didn't Quagsire once have a role in uber due to its perfect mix of stats, moves, and ability?
I believe it completely walled Kyogre without Ice Beam.

YO HOLD UP WE ARE NOT SHITTALKING GASTRODON TO DEFEND FREAKING QUAGSIRE OF ALL THINGS
The only thing I remember about Gastrodon is that I hunted them down in D/P to get 2 HP EVs. In Gen 5, Gastrodon got a boost with Storm Drain's change, but it was still entirely forgettable. At least Whiscash has DD as something to differentiate it from the rest.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ah Murkrow, a Pokémon that got overlooked in gen 2 because Game Freak messed up and had him appear late in game in the wrong region. ¬_¬;

Sometime I wish that Johto wasn't connected to Kanto so it's able to stand on its two feet.

Oh well at least they redeemed themselves with Honchkrow.

Kinokou

I believe it completely walled Kyogre without Ice Beam.

The only thing I remember about Gastrodon is that I hunted them down in D/P to get 2 HP EVs. In Gen 5, Gastrodon got a boost with Storm Drain's change, but it was still entirely forgettable. At least Whiscash has DD as something to differentiate it from the rest.

I built my first competitive doubles team around a Glaceon and Dragon Dance Whiscash was its main partner. If I am ever to redo it mega Swampert might steal the spot tho :\ But I do love Wishcash for that special spot it had on that team.

Macka

I didn't realize Honchkrow was so popular! That's pretty cool, he deserves it. I used one in my first Diamond playthrough and it was a lot of fun with Super Luck, and turned into crit city once he learned Night Slash.

Gen IV gave us a lot of great new families. Torterra, Staraptor, Rampardos, Vesiquen, Drifblim, Skuntank, Bronzong, Spiritomb, Garchomp, Lucario, Drapion, and Abomasnow. And that's excluding offshoots of existing Pokemon.

Firemind

Grass/Ground must be one of the worst defensive type combinations ever. I guess it's not the worst since it resists QuakeEdge.

Also I hate Staraptor so much. There's nothing intimidating about that bird!

Macka

Gen IV gave us a lot of great new families. Torterra, Staraptor, Rampardos, Vesiquen, Drifblim, Skuntank, Bronzong, Spiritomb, Garchomp, Lucario, Drapion, and Abomasnow. And that's excluding offshoots of existing Pokemon.
Whoa, I don't think I've ever seen someone praise Rampardos or Skuntank. Goes to show that every Pokemon has their share of fans. Hell, I'm only fond of Staraptor and Lucario from that list tbh.

Edit: How could you have a list of great Sinnoh families and not include Luxray?!

Azuran

Banned
....right.

Bolding Abomasnow.

This thread is so sad and depressing sometimes.

Whoa, I don't think I've ever seen someone praise Rampardos or Skuntank. Goes to show that every Pokemon has their share of fans. Hell, I'm only fond of Staraptor and Lucario from that list tbh.

Edit: How could you have a list of great Sinnoh families and not include Luxray?!

Rampardos is actually pretty popular. Also his attack stat is so insane that is a lot of fun to play around with.

Rampardos is awesome though

Azuran

Banned
Luxray has to be the most disappointing Pokemon ever for me. I was expecting an awesome looking Lion following his great pre evolutions and we got THAT abomination instead.

Thankfully Game Freak redeemed themselves with Pyroar. He's everything I ever wanted.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Luxray has to be the most disappointing Pokemon ever for me. I was expecting an awesome looking Lion following his great pre evolutions and we got THAT abomination instead.

Thankfully Game Freak redeemed themselves with Pyroar. He's everything I ever wanted.

I like Shinx, heck the moment I first saw him in a Corro Corro leak I said to myself, "That little guy is so going on my team."

And I made the right choice.

Bladenic

Grass/Ground must be one of the worst defensive type combinations ever. I guess it's not the worst since it resists QuakeEdge.

Also I hate Staraptor so much. There's nothing intimidating about that bird!

It's not THAT bad. There are plenty more types combos with Grass that are worse. Generally sticking Grass or Ice on most types make it worse by default. Except Grass/Steel, that's a great defensive type.

Top Bottom