• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
MhDqfzL.png

#203 - Girafarig
Normal/Psychic

Johto had a lot of weird, throwaway single-stage Pokemon, but all the previous ones we've covered Game Freak actually paid attention to in Generation IV by introducing new evolutions for them---however there are those poor Johto Pokemon who Game Freak basically forgot about, and didn't get shit. Here's Girafarig, one of the four most hated Johto Pokemon by fans by my estimate and a pretty bizarre Pokemon all around with very little mainstream appeal. Girafarig's biggest claim-to-fame is being the first non-Flying dual-Normal Pokemon, which would be pretty cool and perhaps "useful" on a Pokemon with good stats, but Girafarig is a middle-of-the-road Pokemon so the Typing just becomes another part of its unappealing character. Future Generations could've fixed this perhaps by giving it a unique Ability to spice things up, but its two default Abilities Inner Focus and Early Bird are rather generic and not particularly interesting, though its Hidden Ability, Sap Sipper, at least gives it an immunity to Grass-type attacks. On the plus side, Girafarig isn't shoved into the post-game or made into a swarm Pokemon, it's a common encounter on a late Johto route so you still have plenty of time to use it if you have a hankering for an unorthodox Psychic-type Pokemon, and it learns a decent amount of moves. In the competitive scene though, it's generally agreed upon to be pretty pointless as it's most useful role, Baton Passing, can be done by plenty of other Pokemon far better, and that number grows each and every Generation. Game Freak oddly enough stuck this Pokemon in both the Ruby and Sapphire and Diamond and Pearl Regional Dexes though, just in case you wanted to give this Pokemon another shot.

Girafarig is of course a giraffe (its name is a palindrome, by the way), though it's important to note that in the East, giraffes have an additional element of lore to them---they're associated with the mythological dragon known as the Quilin, and in Japan the word "kirin" (as in Kirinriki, Girafarig's Japanese name) now refers to both the legendary creature and the actual animal. None of this matters because Girafarig doesn't appear to have any elements of a Quilin, nor does it really have much to do with a giraffe besides its appearance and being a herbivore. It kind of resembles due to its smaller size the other extant member of the Giraffidae the Okapi---and come to think of it, it's kind of got Drowzee's color-scheme basically going on. I feel like a giraffe is a pretty "Pokemon" animal as it is, and didn't really need much changed to fit into the world. A spotted yellow animal with a long neck and horns on its head---hello, the perfect Electric-type Pokemon! So it's quite odd that Game Freak went so out-of-the-box with it. I like when they do that usually, especially if it's a Pokemon based on an obscure concept, but on the other hand with ones based on animals, and the only representative of that animal, perhaps simplicity is best. To be fair I actually do kind of like Girafarig, perhaps out of pity, and I feel something like a new evolution or a major role in the show could easily push me into being a fan of it, but as it stands I'm not surprised this Pokemon has very few fans.

So, you've probably seen it before, but there's some concept art of various Generation II Pokemon floating around that can be seen on Bulbagarden. It's apparently legit as far as I know and gathered from Japanese sites far before Pokemon really took off worldwide, or hell prior to the days before the majority of English fans regularly browsed Japanese sites, but anyway it seems originally Girafarig was simply a giraffe with two heads, basically like CatDog, except, uh, GiraffeGiraffe. I felt this was a decent idea on its own, so why did they change it up so much that we ended up with Girafarig sporting a Chain Chomp for a tail? It's apparently a somewhat sentient head that mimics Girafarig when it chews, and will bite at foes from behind, but, just, why does a giraffe have this concept? Girafarig's Normal/Psychic-typing also confuses me---the PokeDex mentions the tail has powers to drive away the enemy, suggesting it's the Psychic-type, but everywhere else it seems Gifarig's source of Psychic-powers come from the horns on its head. It learns a decent amount of Dark-type moves, and it feels like to me Dark/Psychic would've made far more sense. So many weird choices for this Pokemon. I'm honestly surprised it didn't get an evolution in Generation IV because the motif for an evolution is RIGHT THERE---have the tail grow into a full body like the original concept art. Knowing Game Freak, we'll probably get a Baby for it first.

Girafarig's debut Johto episode, "The Psychic Sidekicks", was promoted by 4kids as a "Lost Episode"---I don't know why, but they went on a hiatus for a bit during the first Johto season and delayed this episode. It wasn't banned or anything like that, they just skipped it at first and re-aired it later. Not that you're missing much---I mean it's a filler episode focused on Girafarig---but it's never been released on Region 1 VHS or DVD apparently, so if you're a Girafarig fans, you're out of luck. In the Hoenn League Ash's friend/rival Morrison had one but during their fight, Morrison basically couldn't bring himself to fight his friend so didn't order Girafarig to do anything, thus the poor Pokemon lost in seconds. Lyra also had one in Diamond and Pearl when she joined Ash and co., but her Girafarig had literally one short scene breaking open a door. Even the show can't seem to salvage this poor fellow.

PK Gaming

Re: Wobbuffet

Casually
When I was younger, me and my brother used to play against each other all the time. I usually beat him, but things changed when he got his hands on a Wobbuffet; we were dumb kids so I never thought of using status effects or switching to beat it. I'd always go at it with my strongest Pokemon and lose my mind when it one shotted them. Can you believe it? Something as cool as Typhlosion going to down to a Wobbuffet? Denied. Super Denied. Don't like it!

Competitively
You're more or less on point Birdie. The only thing i'd add is that the main reason why it was unbanned in Singles was because Encore was nerfed. Fun fact, Smogon was strongly considering unbanning Wynaut in gen IV, but nothing ever came of it. Shame.

I remember going to Smogon to see the good folks who imported the games hax the base stats. I think people lost it when they saw Garchomp's stats. Good times.

One of my absolute favorite memories was when we got the Gen V base stats

See around that time, there were a ton of fake stats going around. So when we got the real ones, people couldn't believe Haxorus was a real Pokemon.

Pure Dragon-type, 147 Attack, 97 Base Speed, Dragon Dance, Mold Breaker.

Sure

MhDqfzL.png

#203 - Girafarig
Normal/Psychic

So, you've probably seen it before, but there's some concept art of various Generation II Pokemon floating around that can be seen on Bulbagarden. It's apparently legit as far as I know and gathered from Japanese sites far before Pokemon really took off worldwide, or hell prior to the days before the majority of English fans regularly browsed Japanese sites, but anyway it seems originally Girafarig was simply a giraffe with two heads, basically like CatDog, except, uh, GiraffeGiraffe.

Girafarig is one of those concepts that I would really like some insight about. Imagine if Gamefreak released a book detailing the creative process and inspiration for each Poke'mon and maybe what other concepts and revisions they went through, I think that would be really cool and help me appreciate some of them even more.

I always thought girafarig's design was a pun on its palindromic name, where you can't tell which side is the beginning (head) and which side is the end (tail), and you could in theory see it both ways. But I have no clue why the giraffe and why the psychic type other than causing confusion lol

Girafarig is an awkward Pokemon because it's a decent design and there basically has to be a giraffe Pokemon, and it was unique back in the day for its typing.

But it's still kind of bland.

At least it mostly looks like a final evolution.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There are two Wobuffett in Super Mystery Dungeon, one female and one male, and the male can only say its name lol

Girafarig is very forgettable personally. Or at least nothing remarkable about it, despite the two heads thing.

Also Zoroark and Lucario.

Lucario stuck to kids because, well, it's all archetypical. And its in-game stuff is solid and is catchable.

Zoroark didn't because, "dark" pokemon aside, you can only get it through convulted means when it came out.

Crayolan

I like Girafarig, but mostly for its tail and unique typing. I think a mega where its backhalf takes control would be a interesting idea which could bring it back to relevance.

Hollycat

There are two Wobuffett in Super Mystery Dungeon, one female and one male, and the male can only say its name lol

Girafarig is very forgettable personally. Or at least nothing remarkable about it, despite the two heads thing.

Also Zoroark and Lucario.

Lucario stuck to kids because, well, it's all archetypical. And its in-game stuff is solid and is catchable.

Zoroark didn't because, "dark" pokemon aside, you can only get it through convulted means when it came out.

also zoroark looks dumb.

Bladenic

Girafarig and Stantler I always grouped together and both are kinda cool but also meh.

Miltank, on the other hand, is a bad bitch.

jnWake

Girafarig has potential. Cool typing and a somewhat interesting concept for the design. If it was turned into a 3 stage Pokemon (kinda like Roselia in Gen IV) it could become pretty good.

GoldStarz

What? Wobuffet can only learn 4 moves? Does that includes TMs, HMs, and Move Tutors?

Also what in the hell is this Nuzlocke I've been seeing y'all talk about for the past few months?

Nuzlocke is basically a fan-made challenge mode that anyone can play and works for all the main Poke'mon games.

These are the rules:
1. You may only catch one Poke'mon each route.

2. When a Poke'mon faints it is considered dead and must either be released or boxed permanently.

3. All Poke'mon must be named (this makes it more like a story).

Those are the main rules, but there are different types of Nuzlockes with slightly different rules. If you are looking to learn more I recommend watching some Nuzlocke playthroughs.

Nuzlockes are also pretty popular settings for fanworks since there aren't really any stakes otherwise. Usually they'll change or add story details or sometimes just alter the story completely (my fave Nuzlockes are the ones done by Ky-nim. Although the two are pretty tonally different.

Anyway, for some more specific information on Nuzlockes, Bulbapedia has you covered.

Toxi

Banned
Girafarig is just so damn forgettable.

You'd think a giraffe Pokemon would be one of the most memorable, awesome, weird Pokemon... But it's not. Outside the unusual Normal/Psychic typing, it's just a rather meh Pokemon. Even its design manages to take a really interesting concept (giraffe with a sentient tail) and make it bland.

One of my least favorite Johto single-stages.
One of my absolute favorite memories was when we got the Gen V base stats

See around that time, there were a ton of fake stats going around. So when we got the real ones, people couldn't believe Haxorus was a real Pokemon.

Pure Dragon-type, 147 Attack, 97 Base Speed, Dragon Dance, Mold Breaker.

Sure
And then Haxorus turned out to be completely overhyped; it's a good Pokemon, but that 97 speed sucks without a Dragon Dance boost.

I kinda regret initially sitting out Gen V, because with all the overpowered shit that went on that gen, following it must have been hilarious.

NEO0MJ

Wynaut is proably my favorite baby pokemon design, so cute.

And I really wish Girafarig was a better pokemon. Making it Dark/Psychic would have been awesome as well.

I've always thought of Wobbuffet's black tail being the actual body, with the blue part resembling a decoy and punching bag.

The females gaining lipstick only reinforced this, it just looks so fake and artificial.

Azuran

Banned
I kinda regret initially sitting out Gen V, because with all the overpowered shit that went on that gen, following it must have been hilarious.

I honestly believe GF hates competitive singles now. Gen VI, mega evolutions and the insane power creep were pretty much a big FU to the format.

PK Gaming

I honestly believe GF hates competitive singles now. Gen VI, mega evolutions and the insane power creep were pretty much a big FU to the format.

I think they still care about singles, though the focus is primarily on the 3v3 variant.

Changes to things moves like Defog (which is completely worthless in Doubles), the introduction of Multiscale and various new Pokemon that cater more towards singles seem to imply they still care about the format. Arguably moreso than ever even.

JoeM86

Yeah the focus has definitely shifted to Doubles. That's why it's the official format. It's far more strategic and a lot faster. They still work on the balance for Singles, but focus is definitely Doubles, as evidence by the increase in moves/abilities that only really work in Doubles.

Yeah the focus has definitely shifted to Doubles. That's why it's the official format. It's far more strategic and a lot faster. They still work on the balance for Singles, but focus is definitely Doubles, as evidence by the increase in moves/abilities that only really work in Doubles.
Won't mind another game with mostly double battles like the GC spinoff.

iirate

I don't like Gen II's pokemon that much on the whole, but I've been fond of Grafarig since I first saw it in-game. It's a shame that the pokemon doesn't really have anything to set it apart mechanically.

Razmos

I think Girafig is a wasted opportunity, having a giraffe on both sides would have been more interesting, and would have really worked with the theme of a palindrome, the same forwards as it is backwards, it would have been super clever and funny.

As it stands, Girafig just seems like a bunch of half-baked ideas that don't go anywhere.

"So then we leave the main game 1v1 for 96% of the time"

derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp

I've always thought of Wobbuffet's black tail being the actual body, with the blue part resembling a decoy and punching bag.

The females gaining lipstick only reinforced this, it just looks so fake and artificial.

Never thought about that.

Wobbuffet's pokedex entries are interesting.

It desperately tries to keep its black tail hidden. It is said to be proof the tail hides a secret

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ah Girafarig, now that is a Pokémon that needs an evolution and should have gotten one had gen 6 did cross gen evolution.

they made it abundant in Gen V and in XY though

though I agree in RSE and ORAS it was kinda sparse

Emerald introduced tag double battle, which carried over to the gen 4 games before being dropped in gen 5.

Daemul

Triples > Singles & Doubles

I played the Pokemon World Tournament in Black 2 using the Triples format and it was marvelous.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I wish Zoroark and Heliolisk did not get fucked competitively. Two of my favourite pokemon.

Helioptile/Heliolisk really disappointed me the moment that I found out that it was part normal as it hindered them than benefit them plus Heliolisk just looked like a middle stage Pokémon and was going to evolve again but nope that's it.

Kalos really botched it with the new electric types, heck not just electric ground and bug types also suffered.

Ezalc

Man I think Girafarig is awesome, I love all these weird gen 2 pokemon that seem to be ignored. I do wish it had an evolution, a normal one not a mega, of some kind to make it more interesting along with stantler.

Girafarig is okay but really it looks like a horse tried to pass itself off as a Giraffe by sloppily painting itself.
Still it looks more complete than most other single stage johto residents.

Top Bottom