• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Wonkiness was definitely a part of it. Once you've seen missingno happen in front of your own eyes it's hard not to believe the next bizarre conspiracy in line might also be based in fact.

Widespread popularity also meant every playground/friend group's That One Guy was able to get in on creating silly rumors from nothing, and that more ill-informed people had opportunities to spread misunderstandings..

The internet also hadn't become widespread enough for terrifyingly thorough argument-settling information whenever needed.

As was mentioned, the late 90s/early 00s were real early "internet" - it isn't like today, where you have a dedicated crowd of people essentially reverse-engineering the game on release day / a few weeks later, or posting complete guides within the week for everyone to pore over. Stuff like PokeGods and Bill's Secret Garden were actual things you could get away with passing on to your friend from that other kid who told you about it in passing.

The site RAGECANDYBAR has a neat article on all the various rumored PGs (I never believed any of them... maybe <_<).

I mean yeah, but I'm pretty sure things like the Venonat-Butterfree connection, Cubone being related to Kangaskhan, Clefable and Gengar weird relationship, Blue's Raticate, the war that Surge fought in, Ditto being a failed Mew clone, etc, didn't really gain traction until the internet became more of a thing.
Stuff like Pikablu and Pokegods, yeah, that was totally just the result of classic pre-internet bullshittery, I was there for it :p

And isn't Liepard a viable mon? Suckerpunch and other things.

I entirely forgot this was a thing, tho I hardly ever see it and Smogon with their indisputable and all-loving knowledge lists it as NU, so idk.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Surge's War isn't a rumor though, but he was probably intended to simply be solider stationed in Japan following World War II. After all, in Red and Blue Kanto was basically Japan at that point before Game Freak started to establish the Pokemon World as its own thing in later games.

People thinking it's supposed to mean the Pokemon World had some amazingly violent war unique to it are missing the point spectacularly.

Macka

I can't think of any viable dog Pokemon either...unless you count Lucario as a dog I guess.

Also, even at the snappy rate you're going OP, there may be another batch of brand new Pokemon before you finish this lot. :p

NEO0MJ

I can't think of any viable dog Pokemon either...unless you count Lucario as a dog I guess.

Arcanine is more than good. It's problem according to Smogon is that it treads the thin line between OU and UU. At least, that's how it was last I saw.

Dryk

Smeargle arguably, and Manectric is OU. Arcanine is a solid UU, Stoutland is NU but has a niche in UU on a sand team. Furfrou is a tragic case though.

In Japan, cats that lived long lives were said to gain spiritual powers, and a cat with a long tail was particularly seen as bad luck---as the story goes, owners would actually cut cat tails out of superstition, perhaps explaining why cats like the Japanese bobtail came to exist through natural selection.

Natural selection doesn't work that way.

I want an Orca Pokemon.

250px-382Kyogre.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Lucario, Arcanine, and Manetric are good. I think from what I gathered even Houndoom is good.

Oh yeah Smeargle too.

How is Meowth fluent in every single Pokemon language?

Wouldn't Bulbasaur language be a lot different than Pikachu language? How can he understand them all and translate them all? Is he a lot more of a genius then they've led on? Is Team Rocket's Meowth actually psychic type?

They should make it so Meowth is so smart because his father was actually a Lucario, and when he "understands" other Pokemon, it's actually latent aura powers inherited by his father.

Or it's a silly cartoon for children used to sell video games and Moewth can talk because he's a mascot and sells toys.

Anth0ny

As was mentioned, the late 90s/early 00s were real early "internet" - it isn't like today, where you have a dedicated crowd of people essentially reverse-engineering the game on release day / a few weeks later, or posting complete guides within the week for everyone to pore over. Stuff like PokeGods and Bill's Secret Garden were actual things you could get away with passing on to your friend from that other kid who told you about it in passing.

The site RAGECANDYBAR has a neat article on all the various rumored PGs (I never believed any of them... maybe <_<).

amazing how this stuff added to the game for me

as a first grader we all believe it, too. we wanted to believe mew was under that truck.

but to get the truck to move you had to beat the elite 4 50 times then go the the cerulean city bike shop and on the floor you would find a key that would let you get into the truck and then move the truck and it's a mew but he's so hard to catch that even with a master ball you have to weaken him and freeze him at 1hp to catch him

Part of me wishes the game actually had these convoluted methods that sound like crazy rumors, until you actually do it. The next thing to wish for would be a superintelligent AI that automatically removes references to these methods online :)

Anth0ny

the funny thing is, the actual way to get a legit mew sounds no more believable than the wacky bullshit methods we read about 17 years ago:

make sure you have a pokemon that can fly, go to route 8 and walk down from the door that takes you to the underground path but when the gamblor sees you press start then fly away to cerulean city. if u did it rite he will see u but not fight you. then go up nugget bridge and fight the youngster near the top that has a slowpoke. beat him and fly to lavender town. then go to route 8 and a wild mew will appear.

like what

Watch Da Birdie

Part of me wishes the game actually had these convoluted methods that sound like crazy rumors, until you actually do it. The next thing to wish for would be a superintelligent AI that automatically removes references to these methods online :)

The Regis in Gen III, bro. You had to read braille.

the funny thing is, the actual way to get a legit mew sounds no more believable than the wacky bullshit methods we read about 17 years ago:

like what
I would have been so hype about that had that been discovered when RBY was still popular. Everyone would have been talking about that, lol

Missingno and lv. 140+ pokes were crazy enough, but Mew? Whew
The Regis in Gen III, bro. You had to read braille.
IIRC, the manual had a Braille chart. But if there was no Braille int he game at all and you had to guess that stuff... ack

Boogiepop

For what it's worth they've played with that at least a little, what with putting a cookie under the truck in FR/LG, plus the thing in OR/AS where you
fly Mega Rayquaza into space and fight Deoxys
is a sort of wish fulfillment thing for rumors surrounding that space shuttle in the originals...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is Ninetails no good at all or is it disqualified for being a fox?

it's a fox :p

How is Meowth fluent in every single Pokemon language?

Wouldn't Bulbasaur language be a lot different than Pikachu language? How can he understand them all and translate them all? Is he a lot more of a genius then they've led on? Is Team Rocket's Meowth actually psychic type?

They should make it so Meowth is so smart because his father was actually a Lucario, and when he "understands" other Pokemon, it's actually latent aura powers inherited by his father.

Or it's a silly cartoon for children used to sell video games and Moewth can talk because he's a mascot and sells toys.

anime stuff, though apparently Pokemon can understand each other while humans can't, he learned human language to impress a girl

like what

Ahhh, the kind of miraculous jank that happened when games had basically no wiggle room in the amount of memory on the cartridge.

I wonder if any other old games had bizarre and manipulable glitches like those.

Watch Da Birdie

So, I have a massive migraine today....quite fitting for our next Pokemon...

TSMnX9S.png

054 - Psyduck
Water

You know, despite being the most common Type, apart from Squirtle I've yet to cover a Water-type Pokemon---so here's our first regular Water-type Pokemon, Psyduck. Even though Psyduck appears earlier in the Dex than the other Water-type Pokemon, the player won't be able to actually capture one in Red and Blue for themselves until they gain the Super Rod or learn to Surf. Even though Psyduck wasn't version exclusive originally, in the Gen III remakes he was made a Version Exclusive Pokemon found only in Fire Red opposite the Slowpoke family.

Psyduck, of course, is a Duck Pokemon. According to a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire, ducks are inherently the funniest and silliest animals, and Psyduck fits that role quite well. It's another Pokemon whose oddball appearance has gained it many fans who find its awkwardness cute and endearing, me included. Psyduck takes some liberties being a duck and I've seen folks claim it's inspired by the platypus as well, but personally I never got that impression. I think it was simply meant to be a "monster duck", and I think if it was meant to be a platypus they would've included the beaver-tail which is the platypus' "charm point". But I gotta say, it's time we got a true Platypus Pokemon for sure!

Despite being a Water-type Pokemon, Psyduck's main gimmick is its strange psychic powers caused when its constant headaches intensify. Psyduck is said to temporarily black-out during these episodes---a form of self-hypnosis the PokeDex claims as it gives off brain waves normally seen only in sleeping individuals---and has no idea of what it is capable of. On the other hand, the Red and Blue PokeDex (which if you recall, would be the second canon PokeDex entry), calls Psyduck a wily Pokemon and implies it perhaps merely tricks the opponent into thinking it's confused, but this entry, and its appearance in Leaf Green, are the only entries that imply this. You know, I have no clue why Game Freak gave such an ability to a Duck Pokemon of all things. I can't find anything to connect ducks with headaches, and it doesn't seem to be a Japanese pun or idiom either. Game Freak for some reason just wanted to have a psychic duck I guess?

Psyduck is another Pokemon who became very popular thanks to the show, where it belonged to Misty and was arguably her "mascot Pokemon" for much of the show's run. Psyduck was accidentally caught by Misty despite no one wanting anything to do with the Pokemon, and after that became a regular annoyance for her as its popped out of its PokeBall whenever it pleased, a gimmick that future mascot Pokemon would also inherit. Despite being unable to swim and normally useless, there were numerous times where its headache ended up saving the day. In fact, Misty even defeated Ash in an official tournament by baiting him into attacking Psyduck's head, something he really should've known by that point! Psyduck was always a lovable Pokemon, but by the Johto Season its goofiness and headache gimmick had grown a bit old, and he began to appear less and less as Misty's other Pokemon took the spotlight. Still, many fans remember Psyduck quite fondly, and Misty and it's love-hate relationship is one of the highlights of the show.

Outside of Misty's Psyduck, we've seen a few other ones---there was a Battle Frontier episode dedicated to one (once more, it was another early Battle Frontier filler which basically cheaply homaged a classic character), and then an episode in Sinnoh inspired by the Psyduck roadblock seen in Diamond and Pearl. Team Rocket once also managed to rope a wild Psyduck into their schemes, using it to somehow hypnotize a bunch of Pokemon via a microphone.

KeiXBs8.png

055 - Golduck
Water

Golduck is the evolved form of Psyduck, and despite being the evolution of a popular mascot Pokemon who never evolved in the show, he thankfully didn't suffer the same fate as Raichu and Persian when it comes to being overshadowed. If anything, Golduck seems to be just as popular as Psyduck, perhaps even more so in recent years as its become quite useful as a member of Rain-based teams.

Compared to Psyduck, Golduck is a much more streamlined "monster duck", and its main ability is its shockingly fast swimming speeds. In the show, Misty's Psyduck was unable to swim, and judging by their appearance it's probable to assume regular Psyduck probably aren't much better in that regard, but Golduck looks built for speed with its more athletic build. In fact, it's claimed to have the fastest swimming speed among all Pokemon! Of course, that's debatable---Sharpedo can apparently swim at 75mph, but I'll give Golduck the benefit of the doubt here and assume it's referring to competitive swimming. Golduck is ever said to help competitive swimmers practice.

Golduck has a small gem on its forehead like Persian which appears to be the source of its psychic powers, and I imagine this might be another case of various Pokemon during Red and Green's development borrowing elements from one another. Golduck's gem is said to glow when it swims, perhaps meaning its psychic powers are the reason it's able to swim at such inhuman speed, or possibly Golduck charges its powers up by swimming. Unlike Psyduck, Golduck is implied to have mastery over its Psychic powers, although despite this it isn't actually a Psychich-type Pokemon---perhaps Game Freak felt there were too many and left it off Golduck? It's likely that Psyduck's intense headaches were probably caused by this gem growing inside of its head.

Some fans say that Golduck is based off the Japanese water monster kappa, but this isn't necessarily correct---the only element of the kappa Golduck shares are its webbed feet, beak, and humanoid appearance, but otherwise it lacks many common characteristics of the Kappa, noticeably its "plate", and unlike the kappa which are normally quite mischievous towards humans, Golduck has a good relationship with them and is even said to rescue folks. Actually, Golduck is specifically said in the Red and Blue Pokedex to be mistaken for the kappa, so Game Freak likely designed it to sort of resemble the kappa, but not actually intended to serve as the Pokemon World's version. This raises a lot of questions...did the legend of the kappa begin in the Pokemon World due to people seeing Golduck? Does the kappa actually exist in the Pokemon World, as it isn't stranger than many existing Pokemon. And finally, how does this tie into a more authentic kappa-based Pokemon being introduced in Generation III? We may never know---by the way, in our world, it's believed the kappa legends were inspired by sighting of the Japanese giant salamander.

One last oddity about Golduck---its name. I think a lot of people wondered if there was any relationship between it and Golbat due to their names, which are the same between the Japanese version and the English version, and color schemes, but it seems to have been a coincidence. As I said before, Golbat is likely meant to be "ghoul bat", although I'm not sure if Golduck is meant to be "ghoul bat", although that could work if you consider the kappa it's mistaken for as a "ghoul". Another popular theory is it's "Gold Duck", and this relates to how in Japan, the Marsh Badge given out by the Psychic-trainer Sabrina is known as the "Gold Badge" and thus "Gold" is referencing Golduck's psychic powers. But I'm not really satisfied by this explanation either, since I feel like the badges were probably one of the last parts of the game really settled upon, and Golduck was probably created before the "Gold Badge" was named as such. I have my own theory that at one point, Golduck really was a gold duck, and has a similar color-scheme to Psyduck, but at some point its color was changed to blue, but the name stuck. It's another mystery we may never know!

Golduck hasn't appeared as much in the show, but still has some memorable appearances. Most people probably remember the episode where a random Golduck popped up who everybody assumed was actually Misty's Psyduck having evolved, but just wanted to impress cute girls. Nice. Once more, it was another Pokemon who appeared in the "Katie Battle" I've brought up a couple times, and for good reason---that was a really good episode. I wonder if Misty's Psyduck, if she appears again, will ever be allowed to evolve and become a serious fighter now that it doesn't have to keep up its mascot role anymore since it's not part of the main cast?

Spyware

Oh Golduck <3
Mine helped me lots and lots in the hardest Nuzlocke I've ever completed.
VJSnaey.png

Platinum (possibly the hardest one to locke to begin with) with a ban on resistant mons in gyms and I couldn't use any super effective moves the whole game. Max level was 2 levels above the gym leaders ace. Plus the normal locke rules ofc. UGH.

Lopunny and Golduck saved me so many times. :p

As for the name, Golduck and Psyduck should just switch names. Makes it so much more logical :p

Anth0ny

Ahhh, the kind of miraculous jank that happened when games had basically no wiggle room in the amount of memory on the cartridge.

I wonder if any other old games had bizarre and manipulable glitches like those.

think about the missingno glitch too:

HOW TO GET INFINITE RARE CANDIES BY CHARIZARDGOD69: put a rare candy as the sixth item in your pack. it will only work if its the 6th item. talk to the old man in viridian city and make him teach you how to catch pokemon. after that fly to cinnibar island and surf up and down the right side. weird pokemon will appear and eventually a pokemon that doesn't show up in the pokedex called MISSINGNO will appear. kill it or run and then look at your bag and you will have infinite rare candies

like what the fuck

it's no wonder all those crazy fake "how to catch mew" or "CATCH THE POKEGODS" theories used to spread back in the day. everyone knew about the missingno duplication glitch. it worked. so were the mew theories really that unbelievable? not to 6 year old me they weren't!

Didn't Golduck had a niche because of Cloud Nine back when weather was OP?

Yeah. VGC2012.

think about the missingno glitch too:

like what the fuck

it's no wonder all those crazy fake "how to catch mew" or "CATCH THE POKEGODS" theories used to spread back in the day. everyone knew about the missingno duplication glitch. it worked. so were the mew theories really that unbelievable? not to 6 year old me they weren't!

Hilarious how every Pokemon game has a way to duplicate stuff.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I used Golduck in my Fire Red team he was awesome, though it took a long time to evolve him.

As convoluted as it was, I actually miss things like that. X/Y had random Kanto birds that appeared randomly until they decided it was time to go sit in a cave. Boring.

I was actually pissed off when I found out that Game Freak made the Kanto birds Kalos legendary trio. It was another pointless layer of gen 1 pandering and felt like a giant slap in the face to anyone expecting to see what the new traditional legendary trio would be.

God did gen 6 suck.

Despite the name, Psyduck is NOT a duck, he's a platypus. I know you mentioned that, but I stand by Psyduck being a platypus. He looks nothing like a duck, but looks a lot like how a platypus Pokemon would look.

Also the Pokemon that's literally a beaver doesn't have a beaver tail, so Psyduck wouldn't necessarily need one.

Golduck is such a cool design. Simple, while still looking unique and interesting. He's a seriously underrated designed Pokemon, one of the best of Red and Blue, visually at least. He's always had consistently good sprites as well, probably because his design is so simple

Spyware

Despite the name, Psyduck is NOT a duck, he's a platypus. I know you mentioned that, but I stand by Psyduck being a platypus. He looks nothing like a duck, but looks a lot like how a platypus Pokemon would look.

Also the Pokemon that's literally a beaver doesn't have a beaver tail, so Psyduck wouldn't necessarily need one.

While I see Psyduck and Golduck as at least "part platypus" (and part rubber duck!), I don't get the beaver thing?
Bibarel has a beaver tail...?
400Bibarel.png

ghibli99

Wow, wasn't expecting each Pokemon analysis to be so detailed. Haven't read them all, but have subscribed to this to read them later. As a late-bloomer to the series (only really fell in love with it w/ XY and ORAS), the history is pretty fascinating to me. I'm just happy to be a part of it, even if so many players seem to hate the 3D installments.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wow, wasn't expecting each Pokemon analysis to be so detailed. Haven't read them all, but have subscribed to this to read them later. As a late-bloomer to the series (only really fell in love with it w/ XY and ORAS), the history is pretty fascinating to me. I'm just happy to be a part of it, even if so many players seem to hate the 3D installments.

Welcome to the Pokémon series. <(^_^)>

I can't speak for other people but the reason why I found gen 6 games disappointing is that gen 5 and gen 4 were really, with gen 5 really raising the bar and then come gen 6 it was all gone and Game Freak just didn't even try.

The other problem is that gen 6 has the lowest count of new Pokémon and only 1 new evolution for past gen Pokémon, which meant the chances of running into a new Pokémon was high.

They also introduced a new gimmick in the form of Mega but they are considered form change and aren't registered as new Pokémon but yet they took development time, that could have been better spent on new Pokémon or proper new evolution.

There's also the fact that the is really easy even with the Exp share off and that X and Y felt like by the number Pokémon game, it was lacking soul.

Now don't get me wrong there are some aspect of gen 6 I like and the Hoenn remake were enjoyable but ultimately in my eyes Gen 6 negative out weights the positive.

But if they got you into the series then that's fine with me, gen 6 are great games for beginners. :)

Welcome to the Pokémon series. <(^_^)>

I can't speak for other people but the reason why I found gen 6 games disappointing is that gen 5 and gen 4 were really, with gen 5 really raising the bar and then come gen 6 it was all gone and Game Freak just didn't even try.

The other problem is that gen 6 has the lowest count of new Pokémon and only 1 new evolution for past gen Pokémon, which meant the chances of running into a new Pokémon was high.

They also introduced a new gimmick in the form of Mega but they are considered form change and aren't registered as new Pokémon but yet they took development time, that could have been better spent on new Pokémon or proper new evolution.

There's also the fact that the is really easy even with the Exp share off and that X and Y felt like by the number Pokémon game, it was lacking soul.

Now don't get me wrong there are some aspect of gen 6 I like and the Hoenn remake were enjoyable but ultimately in my eyes Gen 6 negative out weights the positive.

But if they got you into the series then that's fine with me, gen 6 are great games for beginners. :)
Mega's are better than any theoretical new evo anyways Imo

Macka

I was actually pissed off when I found out that Game Freak made the Kanto birds Kalos legendary trio. It was another pointless layer of gen 1 pandering and felt like a giant slap in the face to anyone expecting to see what the new traditional legendary trio would be.

God did gen 6 suck.
At this point, the fewer new legendaries the better imo. There hasn't been a good trio since the Regi's anyway, and even they were only good because of the way they were found tbh. GameFreak would be better off doing away with all of these tired precedents; not every region needs to have a legendary trio and a route 1 rodent, etc.

Tiamant

For all the bad things gen 6 made, at least the cover legendaries were animals again instead of robodinosaurs. Too bad Zygarde looks like a return to that dark era (gen3-5)

Toxi

Banned
Don't worry, every generation of Pokemon games gets hate. :p

I still enjoy Red even with tons of people saying it's outdated glitchy garbage.
For all the bad things gen 6 made, at least the cover legendaries were animals again instead of robodinosaurs. Too bad Zygarde looks like a return to that dark era (gen3-5)
You best not be talking shit about the weather trio.

Gen 4 is when the robodinos started.

Top Bottom