• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RttP: TLoZ Skyward Sword SO edition

correojon

I beat this game on release and, except the Demise fight, I´ve never come back to it. I loved it and I wanted to let all memories fade so I could enjoy it more when I eventually replayed it.

Recently I started playing it with my girlfriend. She´s not a gamer, the only games she´s ever played are MK8 (which she loves), SM3D World and NSMBU. She didn´t like 3DWorld and NSMBU as she had too many problems with the controls and didn´t get far in either. NSMBU was too chaotic for her and it didn´t help that our characters would often bump and disturb each other. So she has almost no basic gaming skillset like being able to quickly map the pad buttons mentally, maneouvering in 3D, using all the range of an analog stick instead of just pressing it to the endzone...Really guys, there are a lot of skills we take for granted and you can´t appreciate until you handle a controller to someone who hasn´t played a game before. Skyward Swod is an easy game and everything is introduced slowly, so I thought that she might give it a try.

DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY
The game´s start is too slow. I remember it taking it´s time but god, the first 3-4 hours really are a drag. She complained a lot and had a lot of trouble doing the simplest stuff. She was also mad at the game constantly interrupting with cutscenes and people telling you seemingly useless stuff. She was really hating the game. We agreed that if she still felt this way after the first dungeon I wouldn´t ask her to play again. We kept playing until we got the sword.

SECOND DAY: BIRTH OF THE GRASS SLAYER
She complained quite a bit when I asked her to play a bit 2 days later, but ultimately agreed. She started to get better with maneouvering but still, the first forest zone when you have to find those plant things using the sword radar was a drag. Too much running around and going through the same places time and time again. But this zone helped her get a better grasp on movng around and using the sword. It was this day that she discovered that slashing bushes would sometimes give you rupees, and this was the way The Grass Slayer was born. Seriously, from this point onwards she wouldn´t leave a single bush alive XD

By the time we reached the dungeon´s entrance she was a bit invested in the game, so before entering she even suggested going back to Skyloft to get some potions and repair the shield. Once up there we went to the pumpkin island and broke the lamp to get a piece of heart. When the owner complaint and asked of us to pay him back, she said to screw him and was very mad that the guy wouldn´t let us leave until we agreed to pay for it. All the character sounded stupid to her and only wanted to waste her time. So we stock up on potions, visit Terry´s flying shop and go back to the dungeon. We stopped playing here. The bush population was severely decimated in this day.

3RD AND 4TH DAYS: SHIELDS ARE FOR PUSSIES
2 days later I asked her to play again and this time she didn´t complain. She couldn´t find the solution to the first puzzle (the eye that follows your sword´s tip) so I helped her, she said it was random and there was no way anyone could figure that out. But as we went deeper into the dungeon she started to get more into puzzles and was very pleased when she solved them by herself. At one point she even started using the map to plan in advance instead of rushing from room to room and when we got the beetle she enjoyed a lot looking for holes to make it fly through and collect secrets. The Stalfos fight was a big highlight for her, but it was the Ghirahim fight which actually got her to leap into the air with excitement. We stopped playing at the half of the temple and restarted the next day, with no complaining this time :)

We reached Ghirahim with full health, no potions and no shield...no more hiding behind our reliable piece of wood, she needed to attack! She had no potions left and used all the hearts in the room, but Ghirahim still managed to kill us. Except that we had a fairy in a bottle and it revived us! At this moment she screamed in surprise and instantly got extremely focused in following Ghirahim´s movements...and she managed to beat him with only half a heart left! Oh yeah, she commented that she thought that Ghirahim was going to turn into a snake and it was funny as hell to listen to her calling him all kind of names when he stopped her attacks with the tips of his fingers...when he took her sword away and used it himself she was freaking out! XD

After leaving the temple, I was surprised that she said that, instead of continuing with the main quest, we needed to go back to Skyloft to buy a shield, stock up on potions and visit the pumpkin guy. When we returned to the pumpkin island she slashed one of the pumpkins outside and I asked her why did she do that...her reply was: "OMG it´s true these guys need the pumpkins to make the soup, I´m so sorry!!". She has started caring about the characters instead of thinking of them as "stupid time wasters". I told her we should go down to the new region we had just unlocked, but she wanted to explore the sky to see if there were more people around like the pumpkin guy. We found the bamboo minigame and she played it 6 times straight lol. I had to insist to just leave it and continue with the game, but she said that she´ll be back. From there we checked Skyloft and met some people, rescued the kidnapped girl, captured some bugs, discovered other islands...She commented that we must help the girl in the academy hook up with Cooker whenever we can. At this point she´s really getting interested in the people´s affairs and in the secondary quests.

So we went dow to the Eldin region and her evolution was evident compared to her first steps on the forest. She went out of her way to talk to any friendly character we found, used the sword on her own to track Zelda, regularly checked the map to look for secrets, changed between items regularly depending on the situation and spent 15 minutes in the first flower bomb room throwing bombs around and checking everything. When we stopped playing, she said that she actually likes the game!

It´s cool to see her getting better and enjoying the game. Her favorite part is the combat by a mile, but she´s also enjoying the puzzles now that she understands how to interpret the hints the game gives you and how everything is more or less item focused. Those parts are almost as good as slaying grass. She´s gone from a passive attitude of complaining that the objectives aren´t clear, to cutting every piece of grass, throwing seeds with the slingshot to anything suspicious, using the map and flying beetle to check her surroundings and making her own agenda of activities.

About the game, I think the start is much slower than I remembered...The game really starts to pick up a nice pace in the first dungeon, we´ll see how it goes from here. I have huge expectations for the timestone puzzles, I remember those being a highlight of the game for me and I hope they blow her mind :)

5TH DAY (11 hours): DEMOLITION WORKS IN ELDIN
We had just started exploring the Eldin region, learnt how to use bombs and we now had a huge area opening before us. So we started walking around, unlocking the way forward through the minipuzzles we found: she could find the solution to some of them on her own (rock lizards which require you to throw a bomb at them form above) but she needed help with others (rolling a bomb through the bridge to blow up a hole in a wall so the lava would escape and open the way forward). It really showed that she hadn´t played in 2 days and some stuff she had no problems with at the end of the previous play session had suddenly become harder to do. Specially dealing with enemies, she totally forgot all the focus she got in the Ghirahim fight and how she moved around him and just wailed like crazy without moving or even ZTargetting (still, she managed to take out more than 10 enemies in a single encounter and even used the slingshot to stun them). She loved throwing bombs around and blowing stuff, except when she pressed A instead of waggling the wiimote and dropped the bomb right at her feet just before it exploded. She was getting scared of bombs, until she noticed a crack in the wall, blew it up and found a chest containing a silver rupee (worth 100 rupees). From there on, she started carefully exploring every corner and trying stuff. We also got the digging mitts, so now between cutting grass, bombing walls, capturing bugs and digging holes she was really entertained and effortlessly explored all the region. She has a natural gift for capturing bugs, I stepped on 2 beetles and killed them, while she was effortlessly snatching them with a single wiggle even in pairs! We found the 5 key pieces to enter the temple without having to scan for them (except the last one), thanks to this detailde exploration. Highlight of the session was finding the digging minigame, again I had to insist to continue with the main quest after she played it for the 5th time. Oh, and blowing up a tower with an enemy on top to use it as a bridge, she thought that was awesome. It was cool that we were low on health so she decided to sit next to the minigame owner and talk to him, exhausting all dialog options and got very excited when he told us a little trick to gain rupees from the minerals in the walls. In this session we´ve found a lot of materials, bugs, Goddess cubes and rupees (we have more than 500 now!) and have opened the gate to the Earth Temple. As we had a potion and the shield is in good state we saw no need to go back to Skyloft and entered the temple right away. Oh yeah right before entering Impa appeared on top of the temple and told us that Zelda was inside and to hurry up. My GF´s reaction was to be indrecibly suspicious and tell me "yeah, sure, that one´s surely going to attack us later" lol. She´s in for a big surprise :)
And for the first time, it was me who had to say to stop playing, as it was already pretty late and we had to go to bed!
She started the session playing a bit sloppy, but got better as time went by. By the time we reached the Temple she was fully invested into the game world, looking everywhere for secrets, talking with everyone and going out of her way to snatch collectibles. She´s gotten much better with switching and using items. On the next session we´ll tackle the Earth Temple and face our fist Lizalfos, I intend for her to learn how to move around and dodge with this enemy...and to try to control her nerves and stop waggling like crazy until she runs out of energy!
She seems to be enjoying more exploration than combat now, but what she absolutely adores above everything else are the minigames!
The game has really stepped up from the first region, there are a lot of secrets and stuff to try thanks to now having bombs, the bug net, the flying beetle and the digging mits. The puzzles to advance in the overworld were great and added a lot of value to the map, but I didn´t like that we had to slide down the mountain 4 or 5 times to get all the key pieces, Goddess cubes and other collectibles :S

6TH DAY (13 HOURS): THE RETURN OF THE SHIELDLESS BADASS
When I got home from work my GF told she was going to play the game in the morning by herself, but in the end other stuff popped up and she had no time. She´s really into it!
Ok, so we had just entered the Earth Temple, we had one life potion and the shield was in good state, we were ready. To get through the first room we had to cut some ropes of a geared device to lower a bridge, the first two were close and could be cut with the sword but the last one was in a wall out of reach. After some initial confusion, she was able to deduct that using the beetle we could cut that last rope and open the way forward. This brought us to a huge room filled with lava, with many doors, treasure chests, enemies and secrets. But right after entering the room we got attacked by a Lizalfos...I thought it would give her a hard time and she would need to learn how to move...man, was I wrong. The Lizalfos got into a vertical defensive stance and she instantly releashed a flurry of horizontal attacks which got through it´s guard and killed it in an instant. I was very surprised because really, it was over in a just moment, so I asked her if she had seen that the Lizalfos wasn´t blocking horizontal attacks (or if she just wiggled like crazy) and she replied "of course!". So we started going around the room, easily got rid of a group of 4 or 5 Bokoblins and got the Bomb Bag. This was a game changer for her, now she could use bombs without having to worry of them blowing up on her hands. So she started to use bombs in many ways: to blow up rocks, to kill enemies from a distance, to solve puzzles...She reached a place where a Bokoblin was waiting on a platform over lava and a fire spitting monster was waiting to ambush her. So what did she do? She threw a bomb to the platform, the Bokoblin freaked out and ran into the lava, killing itself. It was really funny! next she stepped on the platform and got rid of the monster with another bomb. She even used the flying beetle to seize the heart the monster dropped before it touched the lava! We found a fairy and successfully put it into a bottel (seriously, her skills with the bug catching net are crazy!). We had to blow a statue in the middle of the lava to release a stone ball to move around the dungeon and she instantly associated the bombs in the statue with the bombs she had close, grabbed one and blew the statue away. When the ball fell in to the lava she was very surprised and said "I had no idea that would happen". So I asked her, "then why did you throw the bomb to the statue?". And she replied "It seemed the right thing to do, it had bombs and there was a bomb close to me on the floor so it was obvious I had to use it for something". She isn´t even aware of the awesome evolution she´s been through, where some days ago she would just block and complain that she didn´t know what to do, puzzle solutions are now coming naturally to her without even having to think for a second.
Later we entered a room here 2 Lizalfos were waiting for us. She handled me the controllers, so I tried to deal with them. I started showing off, blocking attacks and jumping around them with A...and got my ass kicked pretty badly, to the point that the shield broke and I had to be resurrected by the fairy. At this point she started saying that her "flurry of death" combat style was much better than myne. We got through some rooms solving most puzzles rather easily, until we found a room where lava propels a platform upwards to a higher place where 3 or 4 Bokoblns are guarding a chest. She repeated the fear instilling strategy of throwing a bomb at them, they freaked out but had enough place to run this time so the bomb exploded and noone died. I had advised her that this would happen, but as I was telling her "I told you" one of the Bokoblins inexplicably threw himself into the lava. We both bursted into laughter and I told her "they´re so scared of you they preffer to kill themselves!".
We made our way through the rest of the dungeon, she easily took care of any enemies she would come against. I´m specially impressed by how easily she dispatched all the Lizalfos that dared crossed her path. Remember that I had broken the shield some while ago :eek:. She still doesn´t move around much when fighting, just runs up to the enemy and gives them her "flurry of death" attack...and it works.
So we reached the boss of the dungeon. Right before it there´s a run sequence where you get the key and a giant rock chases you, she had some problems with the camera changing right after the cutscene and couldn´t properly adjust to that. BTW, this was and awesome instance of good game design: this section is meant to prepare you for the final boss battle. But also, the geometry is laid in a way which easily allows you to return to the door where you need to use the key you get in this challenge. We entered the room, got some much needed hearts and bombs and met Ghirahim. The whole sequence until you meet him is awesome: a lone silent corridor which made my GF freak out and expect the worst, she was really feeling that something big was coming and told me "they are going to kick my ass". When she got to a platform where you could refill hearts and bombs she said "OMG...they are giving me all this stuff...they are really going to kick my ass" XD The boss appeared, and she really freaked out in the intro section when the rock started to grow arms resembling a spider (she had panicked in the first temple with the giant Skulltulas) but when it stood up she got over it and prepared to face him. It took her some time to realize bombs weren´t doing anything to the boss so with a little help she finally realized she had to feed him the bombs. She did it a few times, always running back to the safety of the topmost platform after every attack. But when the boss started to get up there she freaked out. And when she had to chase the boss down the ramp and throw the bombs, she started getting too nervous and messing the controls, laying bombs at her feet, taking out the sword instead of the bombs...She used the life potion but died in the end. She was too nervous so she handled me the controls and I beat the boss (after dying 1 or 2 times as well).
We watched the cutscenes, got the last litography, explored a bit outside the temple to get some chests we´d left behind and called it a day. The Earth Temple is done, we maxed out rupees at 800, captured a lot of bugs, found a lot of new materials, unlocked some Godess Cubes and have a bunch of stuff to buy and collect in the sky, so in the next session we´ll explore the sky further and gear up!

She has no problem with navigation now, she´s changing between running and small, precise movements with no problems and can use and switch between items with no problems...but she still doesn´t move much when fighting and freaks out a bit when things get intense. Still, her flurry of death combat style is giving her very good results. She´s already getting into the "Zelda" mindset of relating items and puzzles, has learned to check the map to look for secrets and where to go next and whenever she can she tries to end fights quickly and in creative ways by using items, mostly bombs and the slingshot.

I liked the dungeon, found it a bit short and small, with everything concentrated around the main room, but it´s only the second dungeon in the game so it´s to be expected. The final boss was a bit too hard, I had no problems with it until it started to raise it´s legs and run above you, I think she would´ve had a really hard time trying to beat it on her own.

7-8-9-10th DAYS: ONE OF US
We went on holiday for the week, one thing we did was watch the Symphony of the Goddess concert, which she actually enjoyed a lot! She jumped on her sit when the Earth Temple boss appeared on the screen at one moment and told me in excitement: "That´s the bastard which killed me!" XD After returning from holidays we´re playing the game everyday for 2-3 hours. She´s enjoying a lot hunting for materials, rupees and bugs to upgrade our equipment. We discovered that groups of butterflies show the location of statues and magic walls and anytime we find one she´s really excited. She´s become MUCH better at moving Link around and fighting, she uses Z-targetting to attack and releases it to quickly move around, is using directional slashes more reliably and other techniques like the coup de grace. She also enjoys using items in different ways to kill enemies, like feeding bombs to Deku Babas (I had no idea you could do this), cutting their heads with the beetle, throwing rocks at them, using the vaccuum cleanear to push enemies around or the slingshot to stun them...We had a big laugh when she found two Deku Babas close to each other, threw a bomb at them and watched´em fight for it until it exploded and killed both lol.
She has no problem with regular enemies and could even prevail in a 3 Stalfos ambush, but she still freaks out against enemies when things don´t go her way and bosses intimidate her too much, so I´ve had to deal with the dungeon bosses myself.
We´ve beaten Lanayru´s mining facility, she enjoyed the puzzles there A LOT and came up with some creative solutions I´d never had thought of. We´ve also beaten the Ancient Cistern, she didn´t like much all the side quests leading to it about having to find the song of the hero and the part up to the water dragon... We were running errands and not getting any worthy rewards. The first Spirit Trial was a really tense moment and she finally made me do it, I wonder if she´ll try the other 2 herself. However she liked a lot the Ancient Cistern and the new items we´re adding to our inventory: the whip and the air vaccuum. Finally upgrading the sword was a BIG highlight...specially because the guy in the Bamboo Island had told us that we needed a longer sword to get better scores. She doesn´t really care about the main plot much, but she loves the sidequests in Skyloft and related minigames.
Before rushing to the Bamboo Island it actually surprised me that she asked to go to the bazaar to upgrade our equipment, do some sidequests (for some of them she actually snatched the Wiimote from my hands because she couldn´t resist the urge to do them herself!) and check what materials and bugs we were missing for upgrades...to the point of going back to the forest after upgrading the Bug Net to see if we could finally catch some birds...then go to the desert to get some materials we were missing for the shield...then grind for rupees to upgrade the shield...then go BACK into the Ancient Cistern because we´d left 2 silver rupees inside...then open all the chests we´d unlocked with the Goddess Cubes...it was 1:30 when she exclaimed "this fucking game is so addicting!". We eventually had to stop playing, but she´s really eager to get some materials we need to further upgrade the shield and beetle, resolve some sidequests and most of all, to go back to the Bamboo Island and play a million rounds of the bamboo cutting minigame!
She is becoming one of us XD

GAME BEATEN - 70+HOURS
More info on the thread´s posts.

Glad to hear you two are having a good time with it. Looks like she got the hang of it faster than I did. The game didn't click for me until I had to face my first set of Lizalfos. They were the obstacle that forced me to take a step back and learn how the game wants me to play it, rather than trying to do it intuitively.

The biggest tip I can give you is to manage your pauses. Pausing for a moment after each slash allows the Wiimote to better understand what you're up to, and it allows enemies to cycle between their animations and stances. The latter especially is handy for enemies that block in certain directions.

What's a SO?
"Significant Other". It's another word for romantic partner.

Subaru

Even people who doesn't know how to play Zelda hates the same thing that we all do.
At least it seems that BotW solves this problem ;-)

correojon

Glad to hear you two are having a good time with it. Looks like she got the hang of it faster than I did. The game didn't click for me until I had to face my first set of Lizalfos. They were the obstacle that forced me to take a step back and learn how the game wants me to play it, rather than trying to do it intuitively.

The biggest tip I can give you is to manage your pauses. Pausing for a moment after each slash allows the Wiimote to better understand what you're up to, and it allows enemies to cycle between their animations and stances. The latter especially is handy for enemies that block in certain directions.
Yeah, she still tends to loose control and slash like crazy when enemies surround her. But she´s getting better and learning to control it, in the Ghirahim fight there were moments when she just focused on following him and waiting for the right moment to attack in the required direction. Lizalfos will be a good enemy to get her to the next level.

Even people who doesn't know how to play Zelda hates the same thing that we all do.
At least it seems that BotW solves this problem ;-)
At this point not even the biggest SS fan (like myself) can deny that the game´s beginning is boring and too long! BotW seems to adress it, but I wonder how a novice player will fare without all the initial explaining of game systems.

That's quite a transformation she went through!

Edit: may I ask how old you two are?
Sure, we´re both in our mid-thirties.

Man, I really enjoyed this story OP! And the MM reference. Keep us posted.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty intolerant of novices. My SO refused to play NSMBU while holding the Y (run) button. I can't. Lol. So I have no tips for playing with novices. Perhaps they need to go back and train on the NES lol (at least for Mario).

eXistor

I like slow starts to adventure games, but it was the constant interrupting that killed the flow in the opening hours. Overall though, when the game gets goling it's super good. Great music, fun sidequests, great controls, great dungeons and great level-design overall.

There's some issues, but this is a game that severely needs to be re-examined in the coming years and hopefully people will finally see the game for what it is and ignore the dumb stuff like Fi.

KaneU

I really wanna play this game for the first time on my Wii U but I am afraid that it will look like shit on my HDTV, like practically every other Wii game :(

correojon

oh cool, it's great that she can be so open minded about this stuff, not being a gamer :)
We´ll be going to the Symphony of the Goddess concert on Friday, so that was a good excuse to make her try the game. If she can get interested in the game, or at least learn something about the overall Zelda story, she will enjoy the concert more.

Fun read OP, thanks for posting 😌
Glad you liked it!

I like slow starts to adventure games, but it was the constant interrupting that killed the flow in the opening hours. Overall though, when the game gets goling it's super good. Great music, fun sidequests, great controls, great dungeons and great level-design overall.

There's some issues, but this is a game that severely needs to be re-examined in the coming years and hopefully people will finally see the game for what it is and ignore the dumb stuff like Fi.
100% agree on everything, the game didn´t allow you to do almost anything on your own for the first hours. Every little action required talking to someone to be able to continue. I don´t remember it being that bad...but at the same time, I have really good memories of the rest of the game, let´s see how they hold up.

Man, I really enjoyed this story OP! And the MM reference. Keep us posted.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty intolerant of novices. My SO refused to play NSMBU while holding the Y (run) button. I can't. Lol. So I have no tips for playing with novices. Perhaps they need to go back and train on the NES lol (at least for Mario).
We had the same problem playing NSMBU. I tried making some levels in SMM to teach her how to run and jump in controlled environments, but it all went through the window when we played NSMBU and the game started throwing at us more complex stuff. It was partly my fault, I worked triple hard to get rid of all enemies for her to have an easier time but in doing so I always took away the merit from her, she wouldn´t feel any accomplishment at all. I think that´s what´s made her come to like SS, that she´s the one playing and she´s the one beating the enemies and solving the puzzles.
BTW, it´s really hard to keep my mouth shut when I know the solution to something and see her stumbling around until she finds it, but watching her solve it on her own and the joy she gets from it is awesome!

Falcs

Banned
My wife played through ocarina of time in her early teens. Since then she's had no interest in Zelda or any games really. Id love for her get into a single player game that I like again, just once!

Chairhome

My wife was kind of a casual gamer before playing this game, but she was interested in this when it came out. She actually played it from start to finish somewhat concurrently with me (she played when I wasn't playing and vice versa) and the game helped her become more of a gamer. She actually wants to play through all the Zeldas (the only other one she beat so far is ALBW) before BotW.
I recommend letting her play it at her own pace, I tried not to be overbearing in it.

correojon

My wife was kind of a casual gamer before playing this game, but she was interested in this when it came out. She actually played it from start to finish somewhat concurrently with me (she played when I wasn't playing and vice versa) and the game helped her become more of a gamer. She actually wants to play through all the Zeldas (the only other one she beat so far is ALBW) before BotW.
I recommend letting her play it at her own pace, I tried not to be overbearing in it.

Thanks for the tip! I´m asking her to play every 2-3 days, 1-2 hours each time, except yesterday; she got hooked and we played for 3+ hours straight. I hope that she soon starts asking to play herself. I did the same thing with MK8, playing an hour or so every few days until she got hooked and started suggesting to play every now and then and now she loves that game :) What portable Zeldas would you recommend for someone like her that are available in the NDS (not 3DS)?

Mohonky

Zelda games do traditionally start really slowly. Zelda (NES) is probably the game that really got my to sink time into a game and while I've always enjiyed playing games, Zelda is always special for one reason or another, it always seems familiar somehow.

I got my sister a Gamecube when she was younger, she loved Wind Waker and she's beat every Zelda title there is (I have never played the Gameboy ones, she has).

She has two Zelda special edition 3DS units (the original 3DS and the New 3DS version) and between my consoles and her 3DS units, we provably have every Zelda title. I have beaten the majority of the games at least once, a few of them multiple times, my sister though, she pretty much exclusively plays Zelda, exactly how many times she has finished Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask I couldnt tell you, except it would be over a half dozen each at the least.

It's incredible how fast completely newcomers can get good in games.
When I met my girlfriend 2 years ago, the only games she ever played where mobilestuff like Candy Crush.
We started with MK8 50ccm (without drifting) and Mario Party.
Over the last year she played through the whole of SM3DW (minus bonus worlds), wins MK8 online regulary (we play on my Account ~7000 points) and she was obsessed with Splatoon ranked (i think she reached level 35 with B+ ranking).
Next step would be more immersive, story driven games, because that are also my favorite games.
I always recommend her Wind Waker HD, but she hasn't tried it yet, she always needs that instant action.

Congrats to you OP, it's great to see people that you love getting involved in stuff you like. :)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still think this is legitimately the best 3D Zelda since Ocarina, and a lot of it has to do with it feeling unique and fresh compared to the "OoT formula redux" the other sequels were. I loved the story, too. Not too in your face (outside of the intro) but more prevalent than other Zeldas.

Fi can die in multiple fires, though.

My wife started similarly. Back then she saw a few Wind Waker artworks in my room and asked what game that was. After describing it to her she wanted to try it out.

From then on, her progression has been prerty identical to the OPs GF.

Since then, she finished WW, TP, OoT, ALBW, has over 600 hours logged in ACNL, over 250 hours in Fantasy Life, started playing Splatoon, and now wants to get into Witcher 3 on PC and Metroid.

OP, please keep us posted.

correojon

Zelda games do traditionally start really slowly. Zelda (NES) is probably the game that really got my to sink time into a game and while I've always enjiyed playing games, Zelda is always special for one reason or another, it always seems familiar somehow.

I got my sister a Gamecube when she was younger, she loved Wind Waker and she's beat every Zelda title there is (I have never played the Gameboy ones, she has).

She has two Zelda special edition 3DS units (the original 3DS and the New 3DS version) and between my consoles and her 3DS units, we provably have every Zelda title. I have beaten the majority of the games at least once, a few of them multiple times, my sister though, she pretty much exclusively plays Zelda, exactly how many times she has finished Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask I couldnt tell you, except it would be over a half dozen each at the least.
What´s her favorite Zelda game?

It's incredible how fast completely newcomers can get good in games.
When I met my girlfriend 2 years ago, the only games she ever played where mobilestuff like Candy Crush.
We started with MK8 50ccm (without drifting) and Mario Party.
Over the last year she played through the whole of SM3DW (minus bonus worlds), wins MK8 online regulary (we play on my Account ~7000 points) and she was obsessed with Splatoon ranked (i think she reached level 35 with B+ ranking).
Next step would be more immersive, story driven games, because that are also my favorite games.
I always recommend her Wind Waker HD, but she hasn't tried it yet, she always needs that instant action.

Congrats to you OP, it's great to see people that you love getting involved in stuff you like. :)
Thanks! Yeah it´s great to be able to share this with her, we are both having a great time :) We also play MK8 and it irks me a lot that Splatoon doesn´t have a 2 player mode so we could play Turf War together, I´m sure that we´d have an amazing time (let´s hope the Switch version allows it). Once we finish SS I intend to play with her WW or TP (or even BotW, depending on how long it takes us to finish SS), I hope that with that she´ll have developed the necessary skills to start playing more demanding games control-wise...but we´ll see, for now I´m enjoying a lot SS so let´s focus on that :)

I still think this is legitimately the best 3D Zelda since Ocarina, and a lot of it has to do with it feeling unique and fresh compared to the "OoT formula redux" the other sequels were. I loved the story, too. Not too in your face (outside of the intro) but more prevalent than other Zeldas.

I think one of the strongest points of the game is that the overworld is also part of the dungeons and requires solving puzzles to move around. Instead of having a big, unfocused terrain everything has more meaning and you end up exploring every corner more exhaustively, but with a focus.

About Fi...I don´t like her (and I actually liked Navi) and my SO still has mixed feelings about her. She still calls her whenever she calls for attention, but soon gets bored with all the redundant and obvious information she delivers. I think that as the game advances she´ll end up getting tired of her and ignoring her prompts like everyone does XD

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Great OP!
The only way I managed to enjoy SS was with Ocarina codes handling Fi's various time-wasting bullshit... Can't imagine playing the game vanilla honestly, too many utterly stupid design decisions.

I have no contention to anything in this post.

I loved the environmental layout and had no problem with the "linearity." I liked how the environments felt like really big "stages" and in terms of freedom the game world opens up more and more as you play through the game.

Nice and charming OP.

It's actually my least favourite console Zelda. And I guess part of it is because a lot of the experimentation just wasn't working for me. The motion controls were fine though, but the structure of the overworld really discouraged free spirited exploration which is a key element for me in the series. I also felt some things were overdone like the Spirit Realm and a certain boss fight. I liked that they bumped up the challenge a decent bit though, after the ridiculously easy TP and WW.

I did really love the Skyloft though. Really fantastic town, but it's a shame it's basically the only one.

And yes Fi is terrible.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY
The game´s start is too slow. I remember it taking it´s time but god, the first 3-4 hours really are a drag. She complained a lot and had a lot of trouble doing the simplest stuff. She was also mad at the game constantly interrupting with cutscenes and people telling you seemingly useless stuff. She was really hating the game. We agreed that if she still felt this way after the first dungeon I wouldn´t ask her to play again. We kept playing until we got the sword.

Sounds about accurate.

Nintendo's insistence on hand-holding is exactly the opposite approach needed for culling in new players. When people choose to try something new outside of their comfort zone, the LAST THING anyone needs is to be lectured. These new players are being adventurous and willing, let them get their feet wet and see how the water feels for fucks sake! Nintendo instead chooses to patronize and act fearful that any moment of doubt will lose them forever, thus cannibalizing the experience for both newcomers and faithful with intrusive tutorials and exposition that sours the fun before it is given a chance to flourish. Nintendo chooses passivity at the fore when their entire target audience wishes to be active holding the wiimote.

Nintendo deserves all the criticism for making such repeated blunders in their games...

correojon

Between Wind Waker (knew this was up there) and Twilight Princess (surprised me a bit this one)
I loved TP´s dungeons, the one with the iron boots and the other with the falling pillars were pretty epic, but I was underwhelmed by the small overworld. I owe this game a replay!

Really enjoyed reading the OP and the update! Great to see you're having such a great time playing it together. My wife and I played through it a couple years ago, here are a couple threads I made at that time about our experience if you're interested:

Help, I'm terrible at Skyward Sword...!

LTTP Skyward Sword: The World is a Puzzle Waiting to be Solved.

Edit: sorry to break the combo above, SG and EBF. Had to be done!
Just skimmed quickly through those threads but had to stop reading as I don´t want to spoiler myself, there are many things I don´t remember from the game and it´s been awesome rediscovering them. But I´ll give them a look as we make our way through it. Your OT about being terrible will be a lot of help to teach her to fight properly. Thanks a lot!

maxcriden

I loved TP´s dungeons, the one with the iron boots and the other with the falling pillars were pretty epic, but I was underwhelmed by the small overworld. I owe this game a replay!

Just skimmed quickly through those threads but had to stop reading as I don´t want to spoiler myself, there are many things I don´t remember from the game and it´s been awesome rediscovering them. But I´ll give them a look as we make our way through it. Your OT about being terrible will be a lot of help to teach her to fight properly. Thanks a lot!

My pleasure! I hope you enjoy reading the LTTP when you're done with your current playthrough. Sorry to remind-spoil at all. :) Anyway, about TP - I was never that impressed with the game but I was surprised how much my wife and I enjoyed playing through the HD version earlier this year. It adds one major QOL improvement in terms of one of the big side quests, and just in general it offers great dungeons as you said. The overworld isn't my favorite of all Zeldas by any means but I was still surprised how much we enjoyed the overall experience. (Definitely prefer Skyward by a large margin, though.)

correojon

Just updated the OT with the chronicle of the last day:
6TH DAY(13 HOURS): THE RETURN OF THE SHIELDLESS BADASS

My pleasure! I hope you enjoy reading the LTTP when you're done with your current playthrough. Sorry to remind-spoil at all. :) Anyway, about TP - I was never that impressed with the game but I was surprised how much my wife and I enjoyed playing through the HD version earlier this year. It adds one major QOL improvement in terms of one of the big side quests, and just in general it offers great dungeons as you said. The overworld isn't my favorite of all Zeldas by any means but I was still surprised how much we enjoyed the overall experience. (Definitely prefer Skyward by a large margin, though.)
Glad to hear that, I hope that when we beat SS she´ll be down for TP HD. WW is also great but I think she may get bored with the big, calm sea and may preffer the more condensed TP map. Besides, seeing how she´s enjoying combat, the Spike Ball seems like a weapon designed just for her :)

correojon

Updated the OT with a summary of the last few days:
7-8-9-10th DAYS: ONE OF US

IMO this game has some pacing problems which I didn´t notice when playing it by myself the first time. All the part after you initially beat the first 3 regions seemed too slow and dragged too much...but the dungeons are VERY good. Overall we´re both enjoying the game a lot

correojon

Can´t update the OP as the text is already too long :p

GAME BEATEN - 70+HOURS
Finished the game yesterday, clocked in somewhere above 70 hours. We found all the Goddess Cubes, piece of hearts, the 5 bottles, all gratitude gems...By the time we solved Beedle´s quest and he gave us the 50% discount we´d already bought everything from his shop lol.

The last dungeon is amazing! Genius level design how you had to reorder the rooms to get to the Triforce pieces, with every room unlocking shortcuts so you didn´t have to go through everything again.

In the end I had to beat Demise myself (what an incredible fight!!) as my SO was too tired after beating the 300 moblins on her way down to the bottom of the pit in and the long Ghirahim fight, which she also enjoyed a lot. She thought it was an awesome end of the game and was really into it as Demise appeared and transformed Ghirahim into a big sword. Her only complaint was that at the end of the game and after all we´d gone through, Link and Zelda didnt kiss! XD Our favorite character in the game is a tie between Groose, Impa and Beedle. Groose had an awesome development arc, Impa and that last plot twist almost made my SO cry and Beedle has a million extra points for giving us the biggest laugh in the game after kicking us out of his shop for just looking around and not buying anything (my SO has worked many times at retail and suffer asshole customers so that was like a dream come true to her).

Overall I think SS is a great game and is a VERY GOOD FIRST ZELDA GAME. The pacing is very slow at the beginning, but the reduced map and the WiiMote-centric controls are awesome for someone with little experience with videogames. The minigames are a great way to help improve in certain areas and having to revisit the same 3 areas helps getting familiar with the world and dare to explore. The end is just glorious.

I asked her what her favorite part of the game was and she said that she couldn´t think of anything specially, she enjoyed everything. Looking form outside, I think she enjoyed most the minigames and the sidequests invloving the people in Skyloft. She really went crazy with the bamboo cutting minigame, the bow minigame, the skydiving minigame, the minecart time trial...She was also crazy for collecting bugs, even at the end of the game when we had like 30 of every bug and maxed potions she would just go out of her way to catch bugs. BTW, apart from one or 2 bossfights she didn´t need to use potions at any point.
Her last comment was that she was very sad that the game had finished, she wanted it to go on and keep playing.

TWILIGHT PRINCESS HD SO Editon
So that´s when I told her that I´d just bought Twilight Princess HD. I let her watch the trailer and she thought it looks great, she´s liking a lot that Link can turn into a wolf and immediately asked if there were miniquests in this one too. I told ther that it´s a staple of all Zelda games, so we had to launch it and start playing. She´s having some problems to adjust to the new control scheme with the gamepad and will sometimes wiggle it to attack, but general navigation, Z-targetting and combat are easy for her now :) It´s amazing how she´s invested in the game right from the beginning, as opposed to SS where the first hours were a drag and every character just bugged her. She´s now talking to everyone on the village and will drop everything to go find the shopkeeper´s lost cat, baby matress, honey or anything anyone on the village asks of her. She even scolded me for not wanting to take the baby matress to the lady´s home, as she was pregnant and I had to ne a gentleman! I hadn´t even realized that she was pregnant, she´s even paying more attention to the characters than me lol.

More to come soon...

Reading these impressions made me want to play SS again, since I'm one of those who loved the game despite some flaws. But now I'm embarassed by how bad it looks on an HD tv. I used to play it on my Wii, with RGB cable on CRT tv and it looked amazing... man, SS needs an HD remaster asap.

Good to hear you guys stuck it out. Twilight Princess is the slowest starting Zelda game, but given where your SO's interests lie, it might be right up her alley.

13ruce

Banned
Twilight Princess is quite good and as she likes the opening already then i'm quite sure she will love this game. The dungeons are extremely good and the story/overall game is a bit more mature then the other Zelda games so more like OoT and MM instead of Wind Waker for example, thats why it is still my favorite Zelda game it improves on OoT imo and i always wanted a more real/mature like Zelda game.

I might be a bit biased because of having a Twilight Princess related tattoo lol
it's Imp Midna

But yeah playing Zelda games together with someone you love or friends/family is the best experience in gaming imo.

correojon

Reading these impressions made me want to play SS again, since I'm one of those who loved the game despite some flaws. But now I'm embarassed by how bad it looks on an HD tv. I used to play it on my Wii, with RGB cable on CRT tv and it looked amazing... man, SS needs an HD remaster asap.
We got accustomed to it pretty soon, but it´s true that after playing TPHD for just an hour the difference is glaring. Anyway, I encourage you to just get over it, it´s a really great game.

Good to hear you guys stuck it out. Twilight Princess is the slowest starting Zelda game, but given where your SO's interests lie, it might be right up her alley.
I already played TP some years ago and I remember it starting slow too, but IMO SS start is even slower. We´re already out in the forest trying to rescue one of the little boys and already have a sword, slingshot, bottle, lamp and fishing rod. We also learned to call the hawk, ride on Epona and have solved some simple quests, so even though the story hasn´t even started we´ve been pretty busy up to this point. The biggest difference is the freedom you have now to do whatever you want and solve quests in different orders, as opposed to SS where you would follow a much more linear path and be restricted to "take this and get it there, then take that and go there...". You felt like an errand boy with no freedom to do what you wanted, but in TP everything feels more open from the beginning.

Twilight Princess is quite good and as she likes the opening already then i'm quite sure she will love this game. The dungeons are extremely good and the story/overall game is a bit more mature then the other Zelda games so more like OoT and MM instead of Wind Waker for example, thats why it is still my favorite Zelda game it improves on OoT imo and i always wanted a more real/mature like Zelda game.

I might be a bit biased because of having a Twilight Princess related tattoo lol
it's Imp Midna

But yeah playing Zelda games together with someone you love or friends/family is the best experience in gaming imo.
Yeah, I remember this having awesome dungeons, that´s why I chose it over WWHD to play next. When I told her that there are more locations in this game than in SS she seemed pretty pleased, as going back to Skyloft all the time felt a bit boring at the end of the game. Once the map opens up and we start discovering new locations she´s going to love it, I´m sure she´ll like a lot the Snow dungeon as it´s both a dungeon and a quest. I also expect the magnet boot´s dungeon or the spinner´s boss fight to drop her yaw. And I hope she´d like Midna, she´s the best Zelda sidekick by far (we were both pretty annoyed by Fi lol)!

correojon

So glad to hear she ended up so pleased with the game. I think TPHD is a great next pick. Perhaps a 2D Zelda next?!

I seriously have no idea what to play next. She watched the trailer for WWHD and thought it looked "dull" (I died a bit inside when hearing this), so that´s out of the question for now. Besides, I think she´d appreciate certain parts of the story more after playing OoT. But if she didn´t like WWHD´s looks I´m afraid OoT may be even worse...Also, I think playing OoT after ALttP will give it more context, but ALttP may be too much...I guess I´ll see how the TP playthrough goes, if she likes the game a lot maybe we can take ALttP next and then OoT. Anyway, all the plans will blow out once BotW is released XD. Or if Switch is able to play OoT3D, that would make it the #1 contender.

BTW, I read your SS OT and agree 99% with everything you said there. The 1% is for Fi, we both hated her with a passion! My SO didn´t even bother to learn her name and just called her "the annoying fairy" XD

Top Bottom