• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles X | Nagi's Angels

Exploration was the absolute highlight of this game. Great diverse and interesting landscapes, enough things to find, etc.

What killed the game for me was the combat. I find MMO style combat often boring, but when done well, serviceable enough. This, however, seemed to be the absolute worst kind of it.

I might have pushed through it, but the story never hooked me, nor did the generic fetch quests.

Then again Amazon Canada charged me $14 for the game at launch, so I got my money's worth :).

Thud

Just watched the ending on youtube, because fuck dragging me back in that horrible endgame for a few minutes I haven't seen.

I can appreciate the effort, but ending on a Mira is so strange note is really weird considering they avoided most of Mira in the main story.

Side stories still the best. I hope Monolith has learned a lot since then, because the alien and world design is stuff straight from your favorite scifi.

Peltz

Facts. I'm always positive when someone says "the story sucks" they haven't played all of the side quests, which adds so much to the world it feels like a different game almost. I always say each main chapter mission is like an episode of the show while the side quests are what happens in between each new episode.

YES. Who designed it that way? Affinity missions should raise affinity, which should have a bunch of battle effects. You shouldn't have to raise affinity in battle to do them.

If those things went away for a potential Switch port, half of my issues with that game would go away.

The story does suck though in the way it's structured and executed. Pacing is part of the story, and this is where XCX fails to tell a good one. It's too fragmented and the tasks required of the player to get the story to progress are too unenjoyable.

The delivery of a story in a videogame matters. Rating the quality of the story shouldn't just consist of thinking about all the cutscenes in a vacuum.

I like XCX, and I'm willing to put up with its bullshit. But it's not what I'd consider to be a good game.

jdstorm

Banned
The story does suck though in the way it's structured and executed. Pacing is part of the story, and this is where XCX fails to tell a good one. It's too fragmented and the tasks required of the player to get the story to progress are too unenjoyable.

The delivery of a story in a videogame matters. Rating the quality of the story shouldn't just consist of thinking about all the cutscenes in a vacuum.

I like XCX, and I'm willing to put up with its bullshit. But it's not what I'd consider to be a good game.

While i agree that pacing matters (something XCX does poorly) The pacing of each individual chapter/sidemission is mostly fine. XCXs biggest issues are scope creep, the overall size of the game and locking players out of content via baffling QoL decisions.

However ultimately when i praise this games' writing. I do it because the sheer quantity of quality writing. Which i feel outbalances what it lacks in pacing.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Hey here's this weird blue alien guy. He claims to be a Mira native yet his civilization is nowhere to be found. He speaks English and wears some clothes that are obviously made of synthetic materials.

Seems legit! Let's invite him into humanity's last stronghold and NEVER FUCKING ask him a single question about his obviously false story.

renzolama

I really liked the first dozen or so hours, and the open world (the sense of scale and verticality are still the best I've seen) / traversal / etc was fantastic, but I ended up putting it down as the combat got more frantic and complex because the battles just didn't feel enjoyable to me any longer. The constant QTEs were a big turnoff, and I didn't want to invest the time into customizing/memorizing the interactions across all characters for optimal play etc. That being said, it seems like a really cool system with lots of layers for people who are into that level of customization. Personally, I'm hoping that XC2 dials it back closer to XC1 and drops some of the system complexity and flashing lights from XCX.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
OP, great write up. I don't agree with everything, but it was one of the most well written RTTP threads I've read in a long time here on GAF.

Also, I loved the game. #3 WiiU game for me and #2 JRPG

Wichu

Hey here's this weird blue alien guy. He claims to be a Mira native yet his civilization is nowhere to be found. He speaks English and wears some clothes that are obviously made of synthetic materials.

Seems legit! Let's invite him into humanity's last stronghold and NEVER FUCKING ask him a single question about his obviously false story.

Don't forget that his full name (which is conveniently hardly ever brought up) is an anagram of 'Lucifer'. Seems legit indeed.

His voice lines are amazing though, so I actually ended up using him quite a lot. He's pretty cool.

jdstorm

Banned
I really liked the first dozen or so hours, and the open world (the sense of scale and verticality are still the best I've seen) / traversal / etc was fantastic, but I ended up putting it down as the combat got more frantic and complex because the battles just didn't feel enjoyable to me any longer. The constant QTEs were a big turnoff, and I didn't want to invest the time into customizing/memorizing the interactions across all characters for optimal play etc. That being said, it seems like a really cool system with lots of layers for people who are into that level of customization. Personally, I'm hoping that XC2 dials it back closer to XC1 and drops some of the system complexity and flashing lights from XCX.

I had this issue my first playthrough. The best advice i can give is

LOOK UP A CHARACTER BUILD GUIDE ONLINE

You can lock in your main party (Elma,Lin and Irina or Cecelia) and not worry about how most of the systems interact. You will still have to worry about Augments, but you can cheat that by leveling up arms manufacturers and just buying gear with good enough augs already attatched.

Thats a 15-30 minute time investment then you never have to worry about all of those synergies ever again. It also makes combat shorter/easier which is a plus in such a huge game.

Dryk

Never finished the game. Final chapter just sucks.

Got my mileage from the sidecontent. Mira is awesome. That's what the story should have focused on more as well. Felt disconnected from the maingame.
The story didn't work for me because it's so disconnected from the gameplay

"We need to explore Mira and discover the unknown" "There's already camps everywhere I go and everything has a name already"
"Oh no we have to go to Sylvalum!!!!" "I've already explored the whole thing"
"I wonder where this ancient artifact could be" "Oh I was wondering what that thing was because I couldn't interact with it"
"Look at this huge Ganglion army that is fast approaching" "Where the hell were they hiding that I've explored this entire planet"

In that respect XCX utterly fails and Breath of the Wild triumphs

I definitely liked the game for what it is. The Affinity Missions were probably the most fleshed out of the side missions. The way content was gated to progress the story bogged down the pacing hard and made the story disjointed at parts. The ending didn't help matters at all. Most of characters were great, but not as good as the cast of Xenoblade Chronicles to me. It didn't help that some of the dialogue and humor got annoying and grating like Tatsu jokes (or anything involving Tatsu in general, especially when Riki was mascot-like character done right to me). While I liked the soundtrack for XCX more than most people and acknowledge most of the tracks are great, I was still disappointed with it in comparison to XC's OST. Audio mixing didn't help things though. I got used to the systems in the game, but I can see the game being confusing for those that don't understand everything in the game.

It is still one of my favorite games of 2015 when it came out and I loved most of my time with it. While I was disappointed in its very apparent flaws, I loved the improvements they made to the original Xenoblade's formula far as combat and traversal goes, even if the game pales in comparison to it. I hope they take some of what they've learned from the Xenoblade games and make Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that much better.

renzolama

I had this issue my first playthrough. The best advice i can give is

LOOK UP A CHARACTER BUILD GUIDE ONLINE

You can lock in your main party (Elma,Lin and Irina or Cecelia) and not worry about how most of the systems interact. You will still have to worry about Augments, but you can cheat that by leveling up arms manufacturers and just buying gear with good enough augs already attatched.

Thats a 15-30 minute time investment then you never have to worry about all of those synergies ever again. It also makes combat shorter/easier which is a plus in such a huge game.

Thanks for the advice, I'd like to pick it up again at some point so I'll keep it in mind

Character movement is so good in this game. Switching into and out of skells seamlessly is kinda amazing too.
I chose the generic samurai gunner class but I thought the combat was fun even though I wasn't sure if the combos Iwas doing was right half the time lol.

casiopao

Lucifer lol.^^

The story didn't work for me because it's so disconnected from the gameplay

"We need to explore Mira and discover the unknown" "There's already camps everywhere I go and everything has a name already"
"Oh no we have to go to Sylvalum!!!!" "I've already explored the whole thing"
"I wonder where this ancient artifact could be" "Oh I was wondering what that thing was because I couldn't interact with it"
"Look at this huge Ganglion army that is fast approaching" "Where the hell were they hiding that I've explored this entire planet"

In that respect XCX utterly fails and Breath of the Wild triumphs

While i agree it is probably not helping that the world is sooo great in being explored, and that does not fit the narrative which can break immersion, on the first point, we the MC are awake quite late there. It is not shocking that some areas area already explored by our fellow crews there.

Excellent post, OP. I loved my time with XCX. Sure, it had its problems, but it had a beautiful, huge world to explore and the combat was pretty fun once I got the hang of it. It was a pretty impressive Wii U game, no doubt about that. I hope that they'll revisit X some time in the future. Maybe a sequel?

Champion

What this game does well it does really well.

Unfortunately this game fails really hard in areas like characters, OST, and overall story...and those are kinda a big deal in jrpgs. The latter was so bad that I'm actually hoping they take their time and dont try to rush XC2. Wont lose sleep if that game does release in 2017.

casiopao

What this game does well it does really well.

Unfortunately this game fails really hard in areas like characters, OST, and overall story...and those are kinda a big deal in jrpgs. The latter was so bad that I'm actually hoping they take their time and dont try to rush XC2. Wont lose sleep if that game does release in 2017.

I had hard time seeing they failed on characters there when all the affinity quest, Heart to Heart and some Normal Mission really expand their character more than many other Jrpg over the trope and cliche of one character.

Main Story indeed is not as good as Xeno standard there and there is many missopportunities. However, the Normal Mission is soo good that it makes many other games quest to be quite bland if you ask me.

Some Nobody

I'm definitely NOT thinking of cutscenes in a vacuum. I'm thinking of the countless side quests completed that developed the city. You can say its not a good game and I respect that, I just vehemently disagree. It's a flawed game, and I recognize those flaws, but those flaws just make it GOTY, not GOTG.

The game honestly made weapon upgrades feel so pointless until the end. It just felt like you were never really getting any stronger. Also the gem mechanic in this game is fucking awful. A million different gems with effects that literally mean nothing to the player and getting the best gems was literally endless grinds for monster parts just to get 1. The way Xenoblade Chronicles end game is set up is infinitely superior. This game went backwards in systems

Godcannon

My second favorite game of all time. I bought a Wii U 2 YEARS in advance when I saw just a glimpse of the world, then went 98% media blackout. Sure it has flaws, but it offers the best open world I've ever seen, like every inch is hand drawn, and the depth of the game, customization, etc, is just plain stupid deep.

The big surprise to me was the story. I wasn't expecting much, but I really like the events that take place, and how your character is tied in.

TL;DR

270+ hours, just started playing again the other day and still amazed at the world/depth.

casiopao

My second favorite game of all time. I bought a Wii U 2 YEARS in advance when I saw just a glimpse of the world, then went 98% media blackout. Sure it has flaws, but it offers the best open world I've ever seen, like every inch is hand drawn, and the depth of the game, customization, etc, is just plain stupid deep.

The big surprise to me was the story. I wasn't expecting much, but I really like the events that take place, and how your character is tied in.

TL;DR

270+ hours, just started playing again the other day and still amazed at the world/depth.

340+ hours here lol.^^ and man, the world is ALIVE lol.^^ Suddenly getting wrecked by some super powerful is always a tense moment lol.^^

Cyanity

Banned
Easiest 100+ hours I've ever sunk into a game. Ended up getting burnt out a bit after getting my Ares 90, but I enjoyed my time with XB2 up until that point. It'll be an utter shame if XB2 doesn't get a sequel. They left us off on the dumbest cliffhanger ever and just, JUST. Ugh.

edit - XBX, not XB2, whoops

Dremorak

Banned
I did really enjoy it, and I hope Xenoblade 2 (wow that feels cool to write :p ) takes the best of XenoX and Xenoblade and makes a story driven game with amazing exploration and characters.

I am a little sad tho that the announcement of Xenoblade 2 means there will probably never be a XenoX 2 :(

Dragnipur

Neo Member
I really disliked this game, it was such a disappointment after how amazing Xenoblade Chronicles was. I liked the skells but that was pretty much it. Everything else felt like a step in the wrong direction from Xenoblade Chronicles. The story was probably the most disappointing thing about this game.

Some Nobody

I did really enjoy it, and I hope Xenoblade 2 (wow that feels cool to write :p ) takes the best of XenoX and Xenoblade and makes a story driven game with amazing exploration and characters.

I am a little sad tho that the announcement of Xenoblade 2 means there will probably never be a XenoX 2 :(

Maybe? Or that they're separate brands?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this for the first time last night after playing it on and off for a few months. Superb game, really enjoyed my time with it despite various flaws (mostly gameplay related).

Xenogears is my favorite game of all time and I enjoyed the saga trilogy, but the first Xenoblade was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played and had to force myself to finish it. As a result I threw my expectations for Xenoblade X's story out the window but the characters/design/theme of the game made up for it despite the lack of Takahashi-style grand plot + twists.

My favorite aspect of the game was definitely that it allowed you to do things with mechs that pretty much other games with mechs don't.
The chapter 12 scene with multiple doll squadrons flying over the water + cockpit views was also cool as hell

Have very low hopes for Xenoblade 2 since it's a sequel to my least favorite game in the Xeno franchise and fairly disappointed that X's cliffhanger will probably never be resolved since it was clearly made to be the first of a multi-game story arc. Will still pick it up and trudge through it when the time comes though.

I like that Xenoblade 2 is going to seemingly be much more linear. It almost gives the Xenoblade series a Final Fantasy feel, where each game is seperate and new.
I feel the same, narratively it will be stronger than x for sure. But I just can't get over the art style...

Yawnny

The only thing that confused me is when people say the game is super gorgeous. Sure, the world seems large.. but the game always looked like smeared ass. It was a blurry, soft mess.

I've played the game on multiple TV's, Multiple TV technologies (ie: LCD 720P, 1080P LED with FALD, OLED 4K upscaled).. and every time I think "maybe THIS will be the TV that makes this game look good".. but nope.. still looks like ass and has input lag up the wazoo (even on my Sony PVM CRT).

Still enjoyed the game though..

Malus

The only thing that confused me is when people say the game is super gorgeous. Sure, the world seems large.. but the game always looked like smeared ass. It was a blurry, soft mess.

I've played the game on multiple TV's, Multiple TV technologies (ie: LCD 720P, 1080P LED with FALD, OLED 4K upscaled).. and every time I think "maybe THIS will be the TV that makes this game look good".. but nope.. still looks like ass and has input lag up the wazoo (even on my Sony PVM CRT).

Still enjoyed the game though..

Heh, well some aren't that sensitive to the technical aspect I guess. The original Xenoblade was even worse on Wii as you'd expect, but the art direction shines through.

For X messing around with the color settings on my monitor helped make it pop more at least.

Yawnny

I'm on the last chapter. I really should've finished this before Zelda, cuz that takes up all my WiiU time now, lol.

Heh, that's where I am right now as well.

My problem with the last mission of the last chapter is the fact that you're solo and have to use your mech.. so if you spend the whole game grinding to 60 without the mech (as I did).. you're pretty much screwed if you've committed to the final mission and haven't upgraded your mech.. and I mean screwed as in the game cannot be beat.. It's actually a huge flaw in the way this game designed save states while during missions.

I've treated the game as completed in my books.

Top Bottom