• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX SUPER Not So SUPER After All???

PhoenixTank

Multi-gpu setups need to make a comeback. We have the motherboard bandwidth and game engines capable of making efficient use of multi-gpu.
Do we, though? Crossfire and SLI haven't been good since the DX9, non-deferred rendering days, when AFR worked perfectly. I know we have DX12 now with implicit & explicit multi GPU, but I haven't seen much use of that, outside of quasi-demos like Ashes. Might get some love next year when everyone who wants security updates has to move to Windows 10?

A safe bet that if AMD can make chiplets viable on GPUs they will, but if that reports as two GPUs to games, it just isn't going to get the attention it needs to make the most of it.

thelastword

Banned
Depends on the performance. If it gets me Cyberpunk at max settings, 4k, then yes. :)
Hey, for some reason, I don't think Cyberpunk will be that tasking of a game....... Still, if Cyberpunk is offering raytracing, you're not going to play at 4k 60fps with Rtx on even on a $3000 Turing card....

It's not a new gen of GPUs or anything but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this new lineup.

Believe me, I would LOVE to see AMD take it to Nvidia like they are doing to Intel... but so far they are far from that goal.

If you want to buy an AMD GPU, there are many OK options. But there is very little that straight up beats what Nvidia offers.

As far as I can tell the ONLY AMD GPU that really makes sense to buy is the 570 ( that's 570 not 5700 ).

Best to not buy one of these Super cards if you can wait as there will be a significant jump in performance when Nvidia moves to 7nm.
The Rx 570, 580, Vega 56 and Radeon 7 are all very good value and great products from AMD.

Will they take a kidney in trade?
Knowing Nvidia, they will sell your kidney on the black market for about 50 times the price of the $3000 GPU....

In case you haven't noticed, AMD has stopped playing the game of charity.
It was about time too.......AMD is not a running a charity GPU foundation for Nvidia fans.... Amd need to start making money to invest in better technologies for the future and sit on some sweet profit........ Tell Nvidia fans to go knock on Jensen's door and demand price drops for their 6-8gb cards in 2019....

Also, I kid you not, some you tuber said the $750 3950x is expensive, the cpu that actually decimates $2-3000 Intel cpu's..... For a vocal few AMD should sell all their products for $1......

Posting threads based on Joker videos "pie_tears_joy:
Perhaps we should use your videos instead......By all means, let's discredit a youtuber who brings more valid or correct information to the table as opposed to the hyperbole train 2 days aback.......

Perhaps we should use your videos instead......By all means, let's discredit a youtuber who brings more valid or correct information to the table as opposed to the hyperbole train 2 days aback.......
Nah, he does a fine enough job at discrediting himself... of course everyone knows you're biased as fuck, and you don't see me making threads based on videos of blatant click bait bullshit. That seems to be your MO lately though. You know.. stuff like this...

It either proves that you don't know shit, or that you're perfectly fine with posting stuff that you know is bullshit... or both. lmao

thelastword

Banned
Nah, he does a fine enough job at discrediting himself... of course everyone knows you're biased as fuck, and you don't see me making threads based on videos of blatant click bait bullshit. That seems to be your MO lately though. You know.. stuff like this...

It either proves that you don't know shit, or that you're perfectly fine with posting stuff that you know is bullshit... or both. lmao
So you're some type of Internet and thread police...... I guess you were off duty when the "Nvidia Super decimates everything" thread appeared two days ago...... As if Joker just made this up.... The info he gave is discussed by him, but supplied by Igor and corroborated by videocardz and Tom's hardware, yet I don't think you're re interested in that are you? ........ You just want to make an arrest....on the Southside...

ethomaz

Banned
After Navi it doesn't need to be Super at all.

Even so your pics shows a pretty good increase in units and memory speed.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
After Navi it doesn't need to be Super at all.

Even so your pics shows a pretty good increase in units and memory speed.
We'll see what perf we get against Super.... Prices, power draw, Overclocking etc..... Aib cards suppose to land in September, maybe earlier, we shall see....

As it stands, Super was teased and has not been officially announced or detailed by Nvidia....

ethomaz

Banned
We'll see what perf we get against Super.... Prices, power draw, Overclocking etc..... Aib cards suppose to land in September, maybe earlier, we shall see....

As it stands, Super was teased and has not been officially announced or detailed by Nvidia....
I thought it was official because there is no rumor in the title.

So you're some type of Internet and thread police...... I guess you were off duty when the "Nvidia Super decimates everything" thread appeared two days ago...... As if Joker just made this up.... The info he gave is discussed by him, but supplied by Igor and corroborated by videocardz and Tom's hardware, yet I don't think you're re interested in that are you? ........ You just want to make an arrest....on the Southside...
No.. just stating my opinion. Is that a problem?

Joker certainly did make up the title... and you anxiously adopted it.. probably rubbing your hands together with a smirk on your face all the while. Licking your lips as well..

No bother of actually giving your opinion in the OP and creating a conversation out of it. Just waiting to see people's responses so you could push that whole "bubut if it wasn't for AMD" angle.

I should make a thread saying, "If it wasn't for Nvidia, next gen consoles and AMD gpus wouldn't have ray-tracing"... :messenger_tears_of_joy: right?

Nah, I shouldn't... because that's stupid.. even if it's true. That would show how much of an Nvidia fanboy I am, and that people really shouldn't take me seriously.. right?

Basically what I'm saying.. is that you're free to make these stupid threads. But nobody takes you seriously... and co-opting clickbait titles isn't helping you.

You're free to go. 👋

thelastword

Banned
So..................... not so super because...? Any benchmark?
All Super cards to feature 16Gbps memory.....A 2080ti Super (A brand new card, not formed from old parts, A beast), 2080 Super becomes the 2080ti with no OC, 2070 becomes the 2080 with no OC, 2060 becomes 2070 with no OC......The 2080 was supposed to have 11Gb of Vram with the upgrade....Then the bit about NV Super decimating the competition in price to perf with no prices revealed or benches or performance charts......I never saw you asked for benchmarks or question any of that, like you and some others have done here.......Rather, these were your comments.....

"Damn. AMD is screwed in the discrete GPU market, no doubt about that."

"AMD stands for Among Many Droplets, in fact."

"Lol so much for Navi.
AMD gets fucked again in the discrete GPU market."

But when new light from more reputable sources come through that curtails the NV fellatio, you ask.....

"Any benchmarks ?"

For what, for cards which have not releaed yet? You are way too transparent.....

All Super cards to feature 16Gbps memory.....A 2080ti Super (A brand new card, not formed from old parts, A beast), 2080 Super becomes the 2080ti with no OC, 2070 becomes the 2080 with no OC, 2060 becomes 2070 with no OC......The 2080 was supposed to have 11Gb of Vram with the upgrade....Then the bit about NV Super decimating the competition in price to perf with no prices revealed or benches or performance charts......I never saw you asked for benchmarks or question any of that, like you and some others have done here.......Rather, these were your comments.....

"Damn. AMD is screwed in the discrete GPU market, no doubt about that."

"Lol so much for Navi.
AMD gets fucked again in the discrete GPU market."

But when new light from more reputable sources come through that curtails the NV fellatio, you ask.....

"Any benchmarks ?"

For what, for cards which have not releaed yet? You are way too transparent.....
Where did I lie? AMD has been losing for a long time in the GPU market and it will continue with NAVI and those prices offering way less than nVidia. And Joker is a reputable source? Since when?

"AMD stands for Among Many Droplets, in fact."
I was joking agreeing with my fellow CyberPanda CyberPanda . If you take some time to look at my posting history you'll see I support AMD and hate nvidia. I'm just not blind.

Examples:

Calm the f* down.

Last edited:
Nvidia 12nm outperforming 7nm? Sounds pretty impressive to me :goog_smile_face_eyes:
AMD within a 2-5% margin on Navi GPUs which are half the die size of nvidia's products on a brand new architecture? Sounds pretty impressive to me :goog_smile_face_eyes:
How many times does AMD need to release a competitive product that ends up coming out on top after drivers mature anyways? This happens literally every single time.

gspat

AMD within a 2-5% margin on Navi GPUs which are half the die size of nvidia's products on a brand new architecture? Sounds pretty impressive to me :goog_smile_face_eyes:
How many times does AMD need to release a competitive product that ends up coming out on top after drivers mature anyways? This happens literally every single time.
Hopefully that won't be the case this time. They've been on a hiring spree for people on the driver team since February/March.

thelastword

Banned
Where did I lie? AMD has been losing for a long time in the GPU market and it will continue with NAVI and those prices offering way less than nVidia. And Joker is a reputable source? Since when?
How is that so, AMD has the monopoly on consoles, AMD has many GPU products that decimates their competition on a price to perf ratio...…...

RX570 > GTX 1650, 1050ti, 1050

RX580 > GTX 1060

RX560
> GTX 1030

Vega 56 > GTX 1660ti, 1070ti, 1070 and pretty much matches GTX 2060 in many titles.

Vega 64
matches the 2070, GTX 1080

Radeon 7 beats/matches the 1080ti, 2080......Radeon 7 then decimates in productivity and mining

Yes, people buy Nvidia more, no one is debating that, but when it comes to performance and better prices for many of these GPU products, AMD wins....

AMD made bank with Vega when the miners bought them, Radeon 7 is very popular amongst gamers and especially production persons... You should ask Nvidia how Turing is doing in the market, it's not doing too well is it?...RTX is a farce, hence they fell back on GTX cards......AMD is no threat to Nvidia :messenger_smirking: , yeah sure, but NV ran to combat the Vega 56 with a 1070ti and now they run to combat Navi 5700 with Super...….

gspat

How is that so, AMD has the monopoly on consoles, AMD has many GPU products that decimates their competition on a price to perf ratio...…...

RX580 > GTX 1060

RX560 > GTX 1030

Vega 56 > GTX 1660ti, 1070ti, 1070 and pretty much matches GTX 2060 in many titles.

Vega 64 matches the 2070, GTX 1080

Radeon 7 beats/matches the 1080ti, 2080......Radeon 7 then decimates in productivity and mining

Yes, people buy Nvidia more, no one is debating that, but when it comes to performance and better prices for many of these GPU products, AMD wins....

AMD made bank with Vega when the miners bought them, Radeon 7 is very popular amongst gamers and especially production persons... You should ask Nvidia how Turing is doing in the market, it's not doing too well is it?...RTX is a farce, hence they fell back on GTX cards......AMD is no threat to Nvidia :messenger_smirking: , yeah sure, but NV ran to combat the Vega 56 with a 1070ti and now they run to combat Navi 5700 with Super...….
I've noticed this as well, AMD will only go after the low to midrange tiers and leave the top tier alone.

It makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint. You go where the majority of sales are.

I'd rather sell 500,000 Volvos than 50 Lamborghinis. Even though everyone drools at the Lamborghini.

RX580 > GTX 1060

RX560 > GTX 1030

Vega 64 matches the 2070, GTX 1080

Nvidia dominates the market and their GPUs offer much better perf/watt. And that is even comparing 12nm vs. 7nm. And obviously I'm speaking about Discrete GPU market only. Sony and Microsoft are about 10% of AMD's revenue each due to the console business. They're very important clients for AMD.

gspat

Nvidia dominates the market and their GPUs offer much better perf/watt. And that is even comparing 12nm vs. 7nm. And obviously I'm speaking about Discrete GPU market only. Sony and Microsoft are about 10% of AMD's revenue each due to the console business. They're very important clients for AMD.
I'm curious to see what the notebook market will look like in a couple years. AMD's products are great at ultra low power and they already seem to be making a dent in Intel's marketshare in this area. Especially since they can provide higher end graphics and cpu in the same package.

I'm also looking forward to what will happen in the mobile space, now that they've licensed the tech to Samsung.

I'm hoping these will trickle back over to the PC gaming market and make their future products amazing.

thelastword

Banned
40 CU's beats an RTX 2070, that's pretty good to me......Notwithstanding AMD is now up there with high clocks and now has an x2 Pixel engine....Their CU's are overhauled and of course more cache......If people felt AMD had fine wine before, they definitely will have some fine wine now...….even older DX11 titles where NV did better should do very well now or eclipse NV with the Navi Arch....

Obviously we wait for results, but even on these blower cards, it looks like there's some room left for OC'ing these cards...AIB's should push these cards even more.....

I've noticed this as well, AMD will only go after the low to midrange tiers and leave the top tier alone.

It makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint. You go where the majority of sales are.

I'd rather sell 500,000 Volvos than 50 Lamborghinis. Even though everyone drools at the Lamborghini.
Well, they've had the top card before at a lower price, people still didn't buy.....AMD is not chasing that again unless they know they have the backing and they can decimate the competition "like with Ryzen 3000"......I think 2020 will be the year when AMD goes for the jugular with Infinity Fabric GPU's.......They will have the hardware to defeat NV on both price and perf, but more importantly, most of the games that releases will play better on AMD......Most of the games being developed for the latter half of this year and especially in 2020 will be console focused, which is based on AMD Navi hardware....More games will utilize Vulkan and DX12, out with the old, in with the new, much less DX11....

I think you will see more titles like World War Z, Dirt 2, Strange Brigade, Battlefield, Blops, The Forza's etc.....So we know Navi will do very well there, but Vega will still do well too because of it's arch and compute, whilst Pascal will languish and even these current GTX cards with less than 8 GB's will languish too...….Yes, AMD has always given a bit more, more future proof, more Vram……...Nvidia fans can spread as much FUD as they want, even Jensen Huang knows that the industry is on the verge of change.....Intel fans felt, they were perched too high and unbeatable too......I personally welcome the change, we've been lingering for too long in stifled performance, ridiculous prices for what? less than 8 GB ram in 2019, Hybrid raytracing for an arm and a leg and bad performance, low resolutions and an even blurrier/jagfest dlss to compensate.....Yes, things need to change......We need to evolve from NV and it's gameworks, coding that kills performance and all the other atrocities...

thelastword

Banned
What are you talking about...Price/performance is what matters...…..There is only one 7nm card available from AMD and it's not even based on a new arch like Turing, it's an old arch at 7nm....So the real 7nm cards, will be the Navi cards from AMD, which is based on the new arch.......

Then that arch evolves and morphs even more come Navi 20.....For now, they're only attacking mid-mid high, which is where the majority of core gamers limit their spending........No, most gamers don't have 2080ti's, contrary to all the 2080ti FUD mongers you read from, speaking of 2080ti prowess on wccftech and on youtube comment sections, even hardcore gamers are not pressed, unless they get a sponsor or some sort.....or have money to burn.....

Yet, you can't see the forest from the trees.....The console GPU space to PC is converging, the technology will essentially be the same in a minute...….Multi-GPU setups, lower NM dies 7nm+/5nm...….3nm....2nm...…...7nm+ is already scheduled for 2020 which is when consoles launch...….Cooling and SFF is good enough where you can pack lots of power in a small box...That's why consoles will have hardware accelerated raytracing too.....Yet, at the core are the tools and this is where many devs will utilize the Navi arch on consoles and it will easily be fleshed out on discrete PC GPU's with more GPU cores to run games at 8k, 16k, 240hz etc....

Even many youtubers who I consider to be more NV guys, have no issue singing the praises of AMD on price/perf......It's what matters, you want a video card...You want one that gives you the most frames at the lowest prices in it's bracket.....AMD has a truckload of cards in that area in many GPU brackets on the market currently.....Real stats don't lie as opposed to those in your mind.....

yXktRcW.jpg

b3ppjCQ.jpg

Top Bottom