• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rudy Giuliani Says ‘Black Lives Matter’ Is ‘Inherently Racist’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memory

It blows my fucking mind that people don't understand how poor logic this is. I'll never understand it.

Oh they understand, Racists and idiots just read it as "Only Black lives matter", logical free thinking minds see it as "Black lives matter as well"

Jenov

Sometimes I wish BLM would have tacked on a 'too' on the end so that thick headed people would understand a little better and stop using BUT BUT ALL LIVES MATTER as a rebuttal.

Nightbird

When black people kill black people they go to jail. Black gang members are not a protected class given the benefit of the doubt every time they gun someone down in the street.

This isn't rocket science.

You have to be wilfully trying not to understand to not get it at this point. Police do not get a free pass to murder black people just because black on black crime exists. Whataboutism is not a way to address societal ills, it's a deflection. We can attack urban blight and police corruption simultaneously, we don't have any reason to ignore one while addressing the other.

Dude stop making sense. You are scaring the racists

Sometimes I wish BLM would have tacked on a 'too' on the end so that thick headed people would understand a little better and stop using BUT BUT ALL LIVES MATTER as a rebuttal.

Nah. Fuck that.

Wouldn't have changed shit and makes the name less impactful

FStubbs

The reason it was not was due to context. Black Lives Matter stands alone, Black Lives Matter Too contextualizes it from a white POV, making things still about white people.

Nah. Fuck that.

At this point, it doesn't matter. But it's not a horrible suggestion I don't think in hindsight. It highlights what it needs to while clarifying the dumb shit racists will try to bring up as a rebuttal. I don't agree it would have made the movement less impactful.

JB1981

When black people kill black people they go to jail. Black gang members are not a protected class given the benefit of the doubt every time they gun someone down in the street.

This isn't rocket science.

You have to be wilfully trying not to understand to not get it at this point. Police do not get a free pass to murder black people just because black on black crime exists. Whataboutism is not a way to address societal ills, it's a deflection. We can attack urban blight and police corruption simultaneously, we don't have any reason to ignore one while addressing the other.

They will just argue that the killings are justified in most cases.

watershed

Banned
No that would be a mistake. BLM is a statement of truth, an assertion of truth in a climate that rejects the value of black lives, it is not a political accommodation to the apathetic.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
"A black"?
full
Everything about this post including the user name is perfect.

Slayven

At this point, it doesn't matter. But it's not a horrible suggestion I don't think in hindsight. It highlights what it needs to while clarifying the dumb shit racists will try to bring up as a rebuttal. I don't agree it would have made the movement less impactful.
It wouldn't have change things.

You're missing his point that they should be protesting against gang violence instead, driving a wedge between the police and the neighborhoods they are trying to protect serves to put even more African American lives at risk to gang violence.

Considering a 15 year cop in Baton Rogue got exposed for calling black people monkeys I'd say they are doing a good job in driving that wedge.

It wouldn't matter.

Here's the thing: they know it's "too," they're just too racist to let the statement go without arguing. That's why no one corrects "Blue Lives Matter" to "All Lives Matter."

Jenov

Nah. Fuck that.

Sigh, yeah, probably right. People were going to find a way to discredit it regardless. Just so annoyed at seeing variations of the same rebuttal being used over and over.

andthebeatgoeson

You're missing his point that they should be protesting against gang violence instead, driving a wedge between the police and the neighborhoods they are trying to protect serves to put even more African American lives at risk to gang violence.

Why not both? Why shouldn't we uphold the police to a higher standard? Implicit in your argument is the police is no better than gangs, so we shouldn't be upset with their gang-like behavior.

Or, there are a lot of people cheating on their right now, so don't worry about your wife having sex with another man, the other people are doing 'thing'.

No, we expect more from different groups of people. Everyone does it.

and if idiots like rudy giuliani actually gave a shit, and did even a modicum of research, they would see that it's already happening

It's easier to set a narrative that blacks are blood thirsty animals who need to know their place. Negative news is good news for some of these people.

And agree with you on the kids, they only use that when it's convenient.

They will just argue that the killings are justified in most cases.

And when the killings are on video, or there is a mountain of evidence after the fact that says the police are full of shit, society will react negatively every time they are fed a line of bullshit.

This is getting a bit abstract, but it's troubling that we live in a country where people ignore objective reality, empirical evidence, or stats in favor of "gut feeling" on any number of subjects. The growing mountain of evidence that selective and over aggressive policing of minorities actually contributes to poverty suggests that the two issues (black on black crime and police on black crime) intersect. But I'm sure if we give it another 30 years the war on drugs, suspending black youth from school, denying voting rights, job discrimination, and incarceration for the crime of being poor will pan out for everyone.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Giuliani is a terrible politician who got lucky with timing. He became mayor when crime rates were already going down in every major US city, so him being mayor and the 'cleaning up' of NYC was arguably coincidental.

Don't forget 9/11. Rudy's popularity was in the toilet before then.

The Kree

Banned
Where are all the smart conservative politicians? Every time one of them opens their mouth they say something dumber than the one before.

junpei

Isn't mayor Rudy Giuliani responsible for the stop-and-frisk program?. The only thing that Rudy Giuliani has going for him is that he was the mayor during 911 and those have the sympathy of all of America

So that 1% shouldn't matter(just for the sake of the argument, might be false figures)? Let them keep abusing the black community because the majority is being killed by other black people. What an amazing logic. It's the same logic when people claim that trump is not racist dispite the evidence provided. Human beings can be dumber than a rock, but I guess we will have to deal with it.

Condom

People like him stay at the surface level of things. I've talked before to All lives matter people and it's like going back in time, as if all the research and all the statistics do not exist yet.

"Hunting terrorists groups is inherently wrong. An American will die 1% or less at the hands of a terrorist and 99% at the hands of a civilian"

Said no one ever. They're completely unrelated and the statement makes no sense. Shut the fuck up Guliani

FStubbs

RG is just a racist windbag who is extremely out of touch with reality.

We've known that he hates BLM. Angry black people scare him.

You've got Giuliani wrong. He's not scared of black people.

Black people disgust him whether they are angry or not. Giuliani is really just a step removed from advocating ethnic cleansing. The hate in him is that strong.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Complaining about Black Lives Matter is like complaining about someone wearing an AIDS ribbon. Seeing people I know comment shit like "White Lives Matter too!" is disheartening. Yes, obviously they matter too. But we're talking about Black lives right now. Why does that make people so uncomfortable that they need to spin the conversation so it includes them?

So having a group or movement that advocates for the protection and value of black lives in light of the fact that so many black people are being killed by police in ways that are just plain wrong and largely uncalled for, is inherently racist? Rudy Giuliani thinks it's racist to have such strong feelings regarding the protection of black lives.

Rudy Giuliani continues to be a fucking idiot. I'm surprised he didn't mention 9/11, or did he and I just didn't bother to look thoroughly enough?

Complaining about Black Lives Matter is like complaining about someone wearing an AIDS ribbon. Seeing people I know comment shit like "White Lives Matter too!" is disheartening. Yes, obviously they matter too. But we're talking about Black lives right now. Why does that make people so uncomfortable that they need to spin the conversation so it includes them?
I think a lot of white people have lived their life with every single thing being about them, so having to confront that the world is bigger than them and their narrow experiences shocks them into defensiveness.

That fear of becoming a minority soon is real.

Future

Take off that aids ribbon. Healthy lives matter too!

I wonder how history will look at BLM. It's a good movement, but the name alone causes the conversation to drift into the wrong places, and provides a context where people can be against it and somehow think they are taking the high ground. Its giving fuel for the bigot to be the bigot in the light of day

KRod-57

Banned
I think I'm with everyone else in saying Giuliani is wrong on this. He's countering one disparity that black Americans face by bringing in another disparity that they face.. there's no reason why both cannot be addressed, and we can talk about the incarceration disparity too while we're at it. Like how blacks make up 14% of drug users, and 37% of drug arrests

Finally, saying black lives matter is not saying anyone else's doesn't...

No that would be a mistake. BLM is a statement of truth, an assertion of truth in a climate that rejects the value of black lives, it is not a political accommodation to the apathetic.

I really do not see how that would be a mistake.. I cannot imagine that being something that would be bad for the movement. You say it is not a political accommodation to the apathetic, but all social movements must win over hearts and minds to go anywhere.

I don't mean this as a criticism to BLM at all.. in fact, that kind of saying (black lives matter too) is already how I see the movement,but the challenge is getting through to other people what the movement means.

TalonJH

I saw this interview this morning. I had to change the channel. He started out well and then sunk into "black people need to..." and tried to cover by saying white people need to understand that black people have a fear of the police.

Why is it so hard to understand that the difference about officer on black deaths and black on black deaths is that officer aren't always being held accountable.

No one is okay with gang and drug violence. To add to that, there are people speaking out about black on black crime all the time.Maybe he should visit these areas and witnesse them.

Take off that aids ribbon. Healthy lives matter too!

I wonder how history will look at BLM. It's a good movement, but the name alone causes the conversation to drift into the wrong places, and provides a context where people can be against it and somehow think they are taking the high ground. Its giving fuel for the bigot to be the bigot in the light of day

This is such nonsense.

Stop blaming BLM's name for their oppressors racism

Besides forcing racists into the light is a good thing. Means they can't oppress in secret

Like always, it's our responsibility to placate white people's fear. We gotta make sure our movement names don't scare white people. We gotta make sure we don't scare white people because of their racism. Shit is so played out. If you're scared go to church.

Wouldn't have changed anything since racists' issue is with the word "Black"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom