• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rudy Giuliani Says ‘Black Lives Matter’ Is ‘Inherently Racist’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

Saying that "black lives matter" does not imply in any way that non-black lives matter.

It could be argued that "all lives matter" is a true statement and also more inclusive on an abstract level, but this sentiment is expressed in a manner entirely divorced from reality: since the semantic handle of "black lives matter" is designed with the intention of conveying that there are specific pervasive trends in society that suggest that under conventional paradigms black lives are not considered to matter, changing the phrase to be "all lives matter" would fail to get that message across and serve as nothing more than a useless platitude that is too broad to point to any actionable point of change that would address the original goal encoded within "black lives matter".

And as usual, republicans are once again henceforth banned from complaining about political correctness - because if you're offended by someone saying that black lives matter, you don't just live in a glass house - as people can see out of those - you live in a paper bag.

"a black"

classy rudy, classy.

You can learn a lot about people from how they talk. Real subtle things that demonstrate their worldviews - well, calling someone "a black" isn't subtle at all, but you get my point.

The difference, Rudy, is that when civilians kill other civilians they go to jail. They don't have their own private advocacy group fighting tooth and nail nor a conflict of interest with the prosecutors office.

Rudy is one of those dudes that thinks pointing out racism is the real racism.

Christine

It could be argued that "all lives matter" is a true statement and also more inclusive on an abstract level, but this sentiment is expressed in a manner entirely divorced from reality: since the semantic handle of "black lives matter" is designed with the intention of conveying that there are specific pervasive trends in society that suggest that under conventional paradigms black lives are not considered to matter, changing the phrase to be "all lives matter" would fail to get that message across and serve as nothing more than a useless platitude that is too broad to point to any actionable point of change that would address the original goal encoded within "black lives matter".

Let's be real--if you're seeing "All Lives Matter" you're probably looking at someone trying to correct the claim that black lives matter. A good way to see this is to look up #ALM and note all the instances where it's cited in the form "No, all lives matter."

I don't think there are any motives for denying or correcting the notion that black lives matter that aren't racist. It's hard to see how they could possibly be anything else.

_Ryo_

I think he is inherently an evil cunt.

He's racist and that is why he ignores the purpose and true intent of BLM, not because he himself think it is racist. He knows it isn't but he is himself racist so he just doesn't care.

Sianos

Let's be real--if you're seeing "All Lives Matter" you're probably looking at someone trying to correct the claim that black lives matter. A good way to see this is to look up #ALM and note all the instances where it's cited in the form "No, all lives matter."

I don't think there are any motives for denying or correcting the notion that black lives matter that aren't racist. It's hard to see how they could possibly be anything else.

You're right and I agree - people who say "all lives matter" in response to others saying that "black lives matter" are just being disingenuous to shut down the discussion. I've yet to see see someone who actually doesn't understand what they're doing when they say "all lives matter", but I've seen far too many people try very hard to pretend they can't understand.

But even when you give those people literally infinite amounts of charitable interpretation, their deflection is still inherently illogical. That's the fun part of when disingenuous people try to invoke Hanlon's Razor to defend themselves - they imply that if they truly aren't being maliciously dense, then they really do have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

It's probably unnecessary, but I like to give those sort of people the full dismantling. Pretend to believe that they really are raising concerns, then take those concerns and demonstrate the full extent to which they are wrong. Always makes them run off since they've been thoroughly debunked and can't even pretend to be offended, which means the discussion can continue unabated.

Being a human-sized racist rat may be a discrete race. Making the statement that "black lives matter" supposes that black lives are more important than and are superior to the feelings of said shithole rat.

Hmm, he may be right about this, gang.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I understand NB: I don't agree with it, but non blacks, especially whites can be particularly odious and ill behaved in spaces where things aren't about them.

1wfqa1R.gif

Condom

I understand NB: I don't agree with it, but non blacks, especially whites can be particularly odious and ill behaved in spaces where things aren't about them.

On topic: Giuliani is a detestable person.
No it's the shortcoming of identity politics where people are competing for attention instead of cooperating in one combined struggle.

Cagey

Banned
The phrase "America's Mayor", an old nickname he earned post-9/11, takes on a sad new meaning with each passing racist comment.

I always laugh when people talk about how the government is secretly run by lizard people, but I seriously do think that Giuliani is a lizard person.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's almost certain that Giuliani's ridiculous stop and frisk policies and hyper aggressive enabling of the NYPD before 911 led to the same things BLM is actually protesting. He's not simply an outside observer, he's a direct actor in the root of the problem.

Matty77

It's almost certain that Giuliani's ridiculous stop and frisk policies and hyper aggressive enabling of the NYPD before 911 led to the same things BLM is actually protesting. He's not simply an outside observer, he's a direct actor in the root of the problem.
Yup, all the so called "quality of life" enforcements that for some reason only affected whites at the very bottom of the food chain and all minority's regardless of station. But let's just gloss over that and point out how NICE Times SQ. is these days.

bionic77

On one hand you want to just say fuck that guy he is a real piece of shit.

But on the other hand if there is one thing Rudy might be an expert on, it would be being inherently racist.

So will "a black" who shoots another "black" in Chicago get 2 weeks paid leave and a fat payday from GoFundMe after committing a homicide?
Yep, I grew up in NYC while this shitlord was Mayor. He pretty much gave every cop that shot an unarmed black man in the city a ticker tape parade. Bloomberg was such a rude awakening for the NYPD.

massoluk

Banned
If there is justice, people will forget about Giuliani and give back David Dinkins all the good credits Giuliani took from him.

What's wrong with America? Why so racist?

There's a vested interest in seeing this continue into perpetuity. A lot of people would be out of a job if one day America decided to enact policy to stop the marginalization of black people.

Getting called the n-word is small potatoes when you have a glass ceiling above you and a trap door with a raging inferno underneath.

FyreWulff

Wow, he didn't even make it to the second sentence until he trotted out that ol "black on black crime is the real problem" nugget.

Whites kill each other more than black citizens do. Strangely, you'll never see "the white community needs to fix their own problems first"

You're missing his point that they should be protesting against gang violence instead, driving a wedge between the police and the neighborhoods they are trying to protect serves to put even more African American lives at risk to gang violence.

Gangs are a symptom of failed government, not of it's people.

entremet

NYT Editorial Page smacks down Rudy:

Excerpt

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/o...ight-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

Mr. Giuliani’s garbled, fictional statistic echoes a common right-wing talking point about the prevalence of “black on black” violence in America. Homicide data do show that black victims are most often killed by black assailants. (They also reveal that whites tend to be killed by whites.) This observation does not speak to the matter of racist policing and police brutality. Killings of the police have, mercifully, been on the decline during the Obama presidency. But unwarranted shootings by police officers remain a persistent problem, ignored for generations, exploding only now into the wider public consciousness because of bystander videos that reveal the blood-red truth.

Unnerved by black anger, Americans like Mr. Giuliani cling to false equivalencies. They have, for example, defamed the Black Lives Matter movement as a “war on cops.” (Tell that to the protesters in Dallas who smiled for photos with officers who were protecting their march.)

We can only hope that in the heat and anger of this wretched summer, Americans’ impulse to pull together is stronger than the divisiveness of race-baiting moralists. We hope, too, that the violence calls further attention to the tragedy of hypersegregated Chicago, whose South and West Sides are beset by gangs and drugs and generations of isolation and joblessness, and where the police have long had the power to harass and humiliate. But the victims of Chicago’s agonies have certainly done their part to try to end them. For years, black Chicagoans have denounced the violence, marched in the streets, pleaded with the authorities for help. Their struggle, like the one that raised the national alarm about unjust policing, deserves to be heard and truthfully confronted.

diaspora

Saying "black lives matter" is racist is like saying that "save the Amazon rainforest" means "fuck all other rainforests". Rudy McFuckface is a gigantic dipshit.

Leatherface

I think a big problem with "Black Lives Matter" is not the cause itself, which is a noble one. The problem is how it comes across through media/social media. They seem to focus on all the negative. Parents letting their 2 year kids scream "fuck the police" while others are chanting about killing cops etc. I am sure this is more of the exception than the rule, however when videos like that are viewed and shared etc. across social media or in the nightly news, it paints a really ugly picture and people then start to associate "Black lives Matter" with negativity rather than the real reason behind the cause. I think this is a huge culprit behind all this tension. It's creating this whirlwind of anger on all sides when it doesn't have to be this way.

I will say the vast majority of people I am around on a daily basis, regardless of skin color, get really upset when they see a police officer gun someone down in cold blood. It's opened a lot of eyes. I remember some videos where it could have been taken one way or the other and there were lots of questions, but there are quite a few more where there are no questions at all. No one thinks this is OK. Now that videos are a thing, a lot of nasty, shocking shit is getting uncovered in our society and yes, absolutely things need to change. Issues need to be addressed. There are clear issues in this country. It is undeniable at this point. But lets not lose perspective here either. It's easy to get fired up and let anger get the best of us but let it be known, many of us are on the same page here.

Slayven

I think a big problem with "Black Lives Matter" is not the cause itself, which is a noble one. The problem is how it comes across through media/social media. They seem to focus on all the negative. Parents letting their 2 year kids scream "fuck the police" while others are chanting about killing cops etc. I am sure this is more of the exception than the rule, however when videos like that are viewed and shared etc. across social media or in the nightly news, it paints a really ugly picture and people then start to associate "Black lives Matter" with negativity rather than the real reason behind the cause. I think this is a huge culprit behind all this tension. It's creating this whirlwind of anger on all sides when it doesn't have to be this way.

I will say the vast majority of people I am around on a daily basis, regardless of skin color, get really upset when they see a police officer gun someone down in cold blood. It's opened a lot of eyes. I remember some videos where it could have been taken one way or the other and there were lots of questions, but there are quite a few more where there are no questions at all. No one thinks this is OK. Now that videos are a thing, a lot of nasty, shocking shit is getting uncovered in our society and yes, absolutely things need to change. Issues need to be addressed. There are clear issues in this country. It is undeniable at this point. But lets not lose perspective here either. It's easy to get fired up and let anger get the best of us but let it be known, many of us are on the same page here.

People were going to shit on Black lives matter no matter what they do simply because it has "Black" in the title.

Matty77

Going to say this simply, there is no problem with BLM and if you feel you have to start a statement with "the problem with/of BLM" maybe you should rethink because maybe the real problem lies elsewhere.

Rudy Guliani to be hired by CNN as an analyst in 3, 2, 1...

That network has been on a dipshit-fuckface hiring spree lately, Guliani would be a prime candidate in order to add his glorious insight.

Matty77

I'm saying that in part he is right . When taken out of the context Black Lives Matters is a way of isolating a group of people from another .
But it's only taken out of context by him and others that want to keep POC seperate, and it's a willfull misunderstanding, so he is not right. He is the one helping division not BLM.

I'm saying that in part he is right . When taken out of the context Black Lives Matters is a way of isolating a group of people from another .

People literally have to work harder to take it out of context than to understand it. The context of Black Lives Matter is inseparably tied to the continued events of police brutality and lack of accountability. You have to actively ignore that part to get to the point where you think the statement is racist or isolationist

A.edrerai

Banned
But it's only taken out of context by him and others that want to keep POC seperate, and it's a willfull misunderstanding, so he is not right. He is the one helping division not BLM.

My friend just read my post one more time maybe, because we are at the same page but different word . :)

Leatherface

Going to say this simply, there is no problem with BLM and if you feel you have to start a statement with "the problem with/of BLM" maybe you should rethink because maybe the real problem lies elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to rethink anything. I clearly stated that the issue is not the cause itself, but with media portrayal, in the first sentence even. Being so asinine as to tear apart sentences in an attempt to belittle for offering perspective doesn't really contribute to anything. I think context is pretty important. I get what you are saying but it's obviously not what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom