• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby World Cup 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acheteedo

tumblr_npty1cqgej1rfwfq9o1_500.jpg

Clegg

Just a little players to watch guide I've done up for those unfamiliar with the sport. Won't go into too much detail because that'd take ages:

Israel Folau (Aus): Most exciting fullback in world rugby. Excellent under the high ball and has the best side step and jink going.

Ben Smith (Nzl): Folau is the most exciting full back but in my opinion Smith is the best. Can play centre, wing or fullback to great distinction. Almost always makes the right decision on what move to make next. Any gaps in your defensive line and he'll punish. Maybe doesn't have the game breaking, individual ability of Folau or Willie le Roux, but for impact on a game he's probably even more effective than his counterparts.

Ma'a Nonu (Nzl): Hands down the best inside centre/ second five eighth of the last 10 years. A huge power runner to get over the gain line but also a majestic passer to put outside backs into space.

Robbie Henshaw: Might be my Irish bias coming through but Henshaw is one of the most exciting young backs in world rugby. Only 21 and still a rookie to test rugby, but has took to it so quickly. Built like a truck at 6"3 and 15 stone but has rapid acceleration to make it over the gain line and you won't get past him in defence. He isn't the next O'Driscoll; his predecessor had the ability to beat man when he shouldn't have been able to or to see a pass that no one else could. But Henshaw is someone with a huge future and will only get better with experience. He has the size and athleticism to be great at outside centre and he has the offloading ability he built up playing at full back for his club. Now he just needs to put it all together.

I'll do a few more players later if anyones interested.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Can't wait for this to start :)

Managed to get tickets to France v Romania next week (because they were cheapest) at the Olympic Stadium so that should be fun.

For the OP you can put me down as England supporter (and I'll also try and keep my Saracens bias under control:))

Managed to get tickets to France v Romania next week (because they were cheapest) at the Olympic Stadium so that should be fun.

For the OP you can put me down as England supporter (and I'll also try and keep my Saracens bias under control:))
I went to the illustrious University of Hertfordshire which is where Sarries training facilities are, so we used to see them a bunch. It was actually annoying because they had their own pitch there and we only had one other pitch. I was in the shitty 2nd XV, and we had a women's team too who were technically the first XV - the upshot was that we would sometimes have to play at a local team's field because either the first men's or first women's had shotgun rights over our one pitch - whilst the lovely Sarries pitch was sitting there unused :( They also had their own gym.

CCS

Banned
Just a little players to watch guide I've done up for those unfamiliar with the sport. Won't go into too much detail because that'd take ages:

Israel Folau (Aus): Most exciting fullback in world rugby. Excellent under the high ball and has the best side step and jink going.

Ben Smith (Nzl): Folau is the most exciting full back but in my opinion Smith is the best. Can play centre, wing or fullback to great distinction. Almost always makes the right decision on what move to make next. Any gaps in your defensive line and he'll punish. Maybe doesn't have the game breaking, individual ability of Folau or Willie le Roux, but for impact on a game he's probably even more effective than his counterparts.

Ma'a Nonu (Nzl): Hands down the best inside centre/ second five eighth of the last 10 years. A huge power runner to get over the gain line but also a majestic passer to put outside backs into space.

Robbie Henshaw: Might be my Irish bias coming through but Henshaw is one of the most exciting young backs in world rugby. Only 21 and still a rookie to test rugby, but has took to it so quickly. Built like a truck at 6"3 and 15 stone but has rapid acceleration to make it over the gain line and you won't get past him in defence. He isn't the next O'Driscoll; his predecessor had the ability to beat man when he shouldn't have been able to or to see a pass that no one else could. But Henshaw is someone with a huge future and will only get better with experience. He has the size and athleticism to be great at outside centre and he has the offloading ability he built up playing at full back for his club. Now he just needs to put it all together.

I'll do a few more players later if anyones interested.

Great guide. To do a few of my own:

Nemani Nadolo (Fiji): One of the best back three players in the world. Arguably the best player for the Crusaders last season, almost certainly the most physically imposing winger since Lomu. 6"5 tall, weighing in at 126 kilos (roughly 20 stone) and has run 100m in under 11 seconds. Also pretty handy with the boot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXkYNblaz8s

Tim Nanai-Williams (Samoa): Cousin of Sonny Bill. Possibly the better player. He's played sevens for both Samoa and the All Blacks before making the choice to play for Samoa. Capable of playing anywhere in the back line. Stat of the day: 18 clean breaks in only 8 Super Rugby matches last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyAQJTcgxkI

Jacques Burger (Namibia): Easily the best world cup player to have never won a match. The heart of Namibia and Saracens, for sheer determination, courage, and willingness to pound away forever he has no equal. Was named one of the 5 best players of the last tournament despite Namibia being thrashed in every game. For my money the best defensive player in world rugby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-gJPAVnYM

Glad to see other Sarries fans around here :)

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Jacques Burger (Namibia): Easily the best world cup player to have never won a match. The heart of Namibia and Saracens, for sheer determination, courage, and willingness to pound away forever he has no equal. Was named one of the 5 best players of the last tournament despite Namibia being thrashed in every game. For my money the best defensive player in world rugby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-gJPAVnYM

Given the injuries he's had at times that he can put in the defensive work he does so regularly is incredible.

Pickman

Torn between the ABs and Ireland. Been waiting for this and it still snuck up on me.

Aside from Universal Sports in the US does anyone recommend a particular way to watch matches?

Torn between the ABs and Ireland. Been waiting for this and it still snuck up on me.

Aside from Universal Sports in the US does anyone recommend a particular way to watch matches?

Someone made a thread asking about this a few weeks ago and the suggestion was to use a VPN like Unotelly and watch the UK coverage for free on ITV. Might be a good idea to add that to the OP for any others who are interested but don't have local coverage or are being ripped off.

LTWheels

So excited!!!! Good chance to win this tournament. Need to get a good start tonight.

Off to twix for Italy France tomorrow!!!

LTWheels

Hoping for an Italian win. They do actually have an ok record again France. Also I thought they looked alright against Wales a couple of weeks ago.

Clegg

More players to watch.

Nehe Milner-Skudder: A genuine unknown quantity at test level which is what makes him so exciting. Made his debut for New Zealand a few months ago in the Quad Nations and scored two tries against Australia. Very fast, runs lovely support lines.

Niko Matawalu (Fiji): I can never tell if he's a genius or the biggest idiot in rugby. He's a strange breed of player. For a scrum half he's crap at passing. He regularly fires the ball above head height or around the ankles of the intended target. His kicking isn't very good'un he makes atrocious decisions. This is a guy who has took a quick tap penalty 10 metres from the opposition try line when a 3 point penalty would've won the game for his club side. But despite his obvious deficiencies he can provide moments of off the cuff brilliance. He can find gaps between the tightest of defences and possesses a tremendous break from the back his own scrum or maul which is of great importance in attacking play. Also has the ability to offload from any angle at any time. You'll be entertained by him no matter what kind of game he has.

Jamie Heaslip(Ireland): The master of the understated rugby performance. He's a real player to watch closely as when he's playing to his best you may still not even notice him much. Players in the number 8 position are supposed to be barnstorming carriers, Heaslip isn't. They're supposed monster opposition players in the table, Heaslip can't. What he does bring is incredible work rate. He doesn't make many huge bursts through players for huge metres gained. Instead he carries endlessly battering away at the defence. His foot work and body positioning is so intelligent that he can scoop up slow ruck ball and make small metre gainage every time. He's found at the bottom of every ruck looking to slow down opposition ball or force a turn over. He'll always be on the top 5 on the most completed tackles made for his side in any game he's playing. He's such an asset to his side because of his broad range of skills. Unlike some number 8'a who are so big they can't last an entire game, Heaslip is an 80 minute player and has been his entire career. A starter for the British and Irish Lions test side in 5 of the last 6 test matches. Is highly thought of by his coaches despite sometimes receiving unfair criticism by fans. A real player to watch closely.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Nobody else thought that breaking out of the ground thing was cool? I thought that was pretty fuckin cool.

Griss

I organised our work Sweepstakes. I got South Africa which isn't too bad!

Looking forward to the game tonight. SWING LOOOWWWW

I just did ours and got Australia. Getting off work early to watch the first game. What channels will it be on in the USA / Caribbean? (We get mostly US channels out here)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I hate opening ceremonies.

My TV doesn't work - something something cable something, so relegated to PC in the study.

And I really wish I had come up with a bingo card for rugby cliches, as I'd have filled it twice over by now.

Bring it on!

I hate opening ceremonies.

My TV doesn't work - something something cable something, so relegated to PC in the study.

And I really wish I had come up with a bingo card for rugby cliches, as I'd have filled it twice over by now.

Bring it on!

Execute

Execute

Execute

Execute

Execute

The management speak hurts my brain.

Clegg

Ruined the Haka by blaring the music over the loudspeakers. Ignorant bastards.

Bet they won't do that for New Zealand. Those drama queens would pitch a hissy fit if they did.

Ruined the Haka by blaring the music over the loudspeakers. Ignorant bastards.

Bet they won't do that for New Zealand. Those drama queens would pitch a hissy fit if they did.

Classy. Last I remember, we've done the Haka a number of times while your boorish lot drowned it out with boos. Oh and it's called the cibi by the way, Maori and Fijians are two completely different races, let alone languages.

Way too many mistakes from Fiji, England should comfortably take this if they can hold onto the freaking ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom