• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby World Cup 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else finding the amount of video refereeing is killing the game?

Yeah, I think the fact the TMO can go back two entire phases before a try to find a possible error is pretty rubbish. That can be a pretty long period of time and there's so many small technicalities that they can nitpick if they feel like it.

Then there's the TMOs who don't seem to have a clue about the rules. The Chiefs were screwed over a couple of times last season by incompetent refereeing from the TMO, SANZARs head referee ended up apologising for the decisions and demoting the refs who screwed up.

If it were up to me, I'd take away the TMO entirely and get the ref to make the decisions while watching replays on the big screen.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I have and I agree. But Super Rugby can sometimes get a bit ridiculous because defences are so loose.I meant a test side. Imagine if he played for New Zealand?

I'd rather imagine him playing for a team that can feed off his inspiration - France maybe?

RangerX

Banned
Fiji are really coming into this game. I don't know why the ref went to the TMO for their second try. It was obvious.

moai

Is anyone else finding the amount of video refereeing is killing the game?

yes. i hope this never comes to football. that two plays being reviewed killed any excitement during that segment of the game.

yes. i hope this never comes to football. that two plays being reviewed killed any excitement during that segment of the game.
There's at least one thing football could learn from Rugby: stopping the clock at least sometimes. Nothing's dirtier and more irritating than seeing a winning team wasting time, faking injuries, taking forever to make substitutions, etc.

Goal line tech, stopping the clock when fouls happen or the ball goes out of the field would go a long way.

Is there such thing as an American Rugby fan base rooting for Team USA at all? With the NFL at full steam and being so similar to Rugby (a sport Americans do not dominate) I don't see many Americans giving this tournament the time of day or am I wrong?

Any potentially good world class American Rugby players are playing American Football. Rugby's similarity dooms the sport in the USA to never take off since anyone that can play it well over there will opt for College Football and NFL.

CCS

Banned
There's at least one thing football could learn from Rugby: stopping the clock at least sometimes. Nothing's dirtier and more irritating than seeing a winning team wasting time, faking injuries, taking forever to make substitutions, etc.

Goal line tech, stopping the clock when fouls happen or the ball goes out of the field would go a long way.

Agree, no stoppage time and stopped clocks would remove so much whining.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
England making it look hard.

if fiji wasnt so rottenly error ridden...

kmag

England making it look hard.

if fiji wasnt so rottenly error ridden...

Fiji will tire and England will pull away. But this England side seems to have regressed a bit from the 6 nations. The scrum looks worse, the kicking from hand is still most miss and they have an inconsistent line out. They're a bit better at using the wingers who are very dangerous.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Fiji will tire and England will pull away. But this England side seems to have regressed a bit from the 6 nations. The scrum looks worse, the kicking from hand is still most miss and they have an inconsistent line out. They're a bit better at using the wingers who are very dangerous.
yeah the 60 minut mark is always the killer.

i put some cash on less than 7 tries... not sure if i feel good bout that or not just now

Clegg

Fiji are tiring and England getting a greater hold on this game. But they've made so many errors in the opening hour. Not been very good.

FDC1

Fiji are really coming into this game. I don't know why the ref went to the TMO for their second try. It was obvious.

First one seemed obvious too at full speed. And then we saw the replay. If the ref has no direct visual of the ball touching the ground, he has every right to go to the TMO to avoid an error.

CCS

Banned
That is a monstrous piece of rucking. Regardless of the number of errors you have to admire the sheer strength.

Clegg

It's only the first game, but England are not looking good. So many basic errors made at scrum and at the breakdown. They've not been great in open play either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom