• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby World Cup 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

England have been well and truly played at the breakdown. Wales and Australia pride themselves on their work in that area. Both camps will be licking their lips at getting stuck into England on this evenings performance.

kmag

bonus point

Looks short.

Maybe not on that reverse shot. Not definitive on that shot, but looks short on every other angle.

Of course he gives it. Why change the story of the evening?

A one sided refereeing performance that Owens would have been proud of.

Clegg

Fiji have some exciting players but they played poorly as a team tonight. So many basic errors in possession. England deserved the win but we're a bit of a miss themselves. I suppose it can be put down to nerves and it being the first proper game of the new, but they've a worrying amount of things that need drastic improvement.

CCS

Banned
Key points:

-5 points for England, could be vital in the final table.
-England will need to be better, scrum a major weakness it appears. Need to improve by next weekend.
-Fiji have spirit and some exceptional individuals but are not good enough to challenge for top two.
-Nadolo OP pls nerf.

kmag

Still not sure why England weren't down to 10 men for the neck roll at least for 10 minutes. It's not as if they didn't say beforehand they'd been severely punishing it*

*except for the home team of course.

And for the final try, the question sent up was 'Try, Yes or No'. Not is there any reason why I can't award this, I'm not sure the evidence was definitive enough to answer the former especially with camera foreshortening. You had 6 shots where it looked short, and one shot where it looked like it brushed the line.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So who do people see topping this group? I think wales will pull it off!

Too early to tell. I want to see all five teams play first. (On this showing, probably not England though - too many errors, penalties, turnovers that better teams will punish.)

Edit: I rarely agree with Clive Woodward, but he's right in saying that Fiji try should have stood because the referee had already awarded it.

FDC1

Still not sure why England weren't down to 10 men for the neck roll at least for 10 minutes. It's not as if they didn't say beforehand they'd been severely punishing it*

*except for the home team of course.

And for the final try, the question sent up was 'Try, Yes or No'. Not is there any reason why I can't award this, I'm not sure the evidence was definitive enough to answer the former especially with camera foreshortening.

You wanted to eject 5 players for that? Damn, you're really strict :p

Can't now since he's played in a world cup for a country.

Nah, each country has three teams (international, sevens and one more team of their choosing, could be their U20 or B team if they want) and any player that plays for those teams is from then on qualified only to play for them. So as soon as he first played for Fiji in 2010, he couldn't play for any other international team.

Sevens making it into the Olympics did create a loophole that can allow players to change qualifications but they have to play a certain number of Sevens tournaments to do so. That's how Tim Nanai-Williams qualified for Samoa, even though he played for the NZ sevens team a few years ago.

Anyway, based on that performance, Australia are going to crush this English team. Wales should be competitive too, even without Halfpenny and Webb.

kmag

You wanted to eject 5 players for that? Damn, you're really strict :p

I knew I'd fucked that. Got football on the brain atm. The point is if the refereeing is going to be this one sided for the big teams, it's going to make the first 3 weeks of this tournament fucking unbearable to watch. Perhaps it's just home team advantage but it's annoying, Rugby is probably the easiest sport for a ref to weight in one teams favour because so many of the rules are a) very technical and b) reliant on the refs interpretation.

Aside from a couple of times at the breakdown, England got pretty much every 50/50 and most of the 60/40 decisions tonight. That's going to get tedious quickly.

Nah, each country has three teams (international, sevens and one more team of their choosing, could be their U20 or B team if they want) and any player that plays for those teams is from then on qualified only to play for them. So as soon as he first played for Fiji in 2010, he couldn't play for any other international team.

Sevens making it into the Olympics did create a loophole that can allow players to change qualifications but they have to play a certain number of Sevens tournaments to do so. That's how Tim Nanai-Williams qualified for Samoa, even though he played for the NZ sevens team a few years ago.

Anyway, based on that performance, Australia are going to crush this English team. Wales should be competitive too, even without Halfpenny and Webb.

Well yeah but that's not really how it works though.

Yeah I remember Isa Nacewa played like 2 minutes in a World Cup game in 2003 for Fiji and that ruled him out for declaring for the AB's and Ireland later on.

Since we're discussing eligibility, what are people's opinions on the current residency laws?

I'm not really sure. On the one hand, I'm not a fan of the way some countries (especially Ireland) have taken advantage of it to encourage their teams to sign players they can poach. On the other, I think players should be allowed to play for their naturalised home if they've really moved there, especially players who relocate to Tier 2 countries (Japan has a number of NZ born players, for example).

Maybe an idea is to create stricter laws just for Tier 1 teams? So Tier 2 keep the current rules, where they can sign foreign players if they've live there for 3 years or if their parents or grandparents came from there. Whereas Tier 1 teams can only sign foreign players if they've lived there for 5 years or if their parents came from there.

Well yeah but that's not really how it works though.

Hence the "based on that performance" part. :p

CCS

Banned
I'm not really sure. On the one hand, I'm not a fan of the way some countries (especially Ireland) have taken advantage of it to encourage their teams to sign players they can poach. On the other, I think players should be allowed to play for their naturalised home if they've really moved there, especially players who relocate to Tier 2 countries (Japan has a number of NZ born players, for example).

Maybe an idea is to create stricter laws just for Tier 1 teams? So Tier 2 keep the current rules, where they can sign foreign players if they've live there for 3 years or if their parents or grandparents came from there. Whereas Tier 1 teams can only sign foreign players if they've lived there for 5 years or if their parents came from there.

Hence the "based on that performance" part. :p

That's an interesting suggestion, not a bad way of resolving it.

Clegg

England would be roughly 12000% better if they dropped Brad Barritt. He can do nothing but tackle. Need so much more from an inside centre.

Google

Happy with that win. I only managed to watch the second half as I was at lunch with a client for the first but I was happy to see the dangerous running we had in the last 20 minutes.

I'm not sure I see the negative reaction. We got bullied a bit at the breakdown during specific periods but that was because we were attacking so much that we left ourselves vulnerable against a bunch of big Fijians in defence.

They're ranked 9th in the world and we just beat them and got five points.

Not sure what more we needed to do in a hugely nerve wracking opening game.

Mastadon

Banned
Good result considering the performance, but big improvements needed especially in the scrum.

It was nice to see Burgess come on and make a big impact, really want him to do well.

Showaddy

England would be roughly 12000% better if they dropped Brad Barritt. He can do nothing but tackle. Need so much more from an inside centre.

Drop him for who? Tuilagi's banned, Burrell's been gash, Twelvetrees' is a complete bottler, Burgess is only good for 10-15 minute impacts and Lancaster hates Eastmond for some reason. Barritt is our only option at this stage; which is pretty damning.

As an aside our pack looks woefully underpowered at the moment, reminds of a boxer who's cut to much weight to make the limit. Not sure what regime the coaches have had them on to trying and get them more mobile but they'll struggle against even the Aussie's at this rate.

Google

As an aside our pack looks woefully underpowered at the moment, reminds of a boxer who's cut to much weight to make the limit. They'll struggle against even the Aussie's at this rate.

Yeah, but could be a few reasons for that. Fiji have a lot of power in that pack and we started really putting some shove on in that last 20 minutes.

Showaddy

Yeah, but could be a few reasons for that. Fiji have a lot of power in that pack and we started really putting some shove on in that last 20 minutes.

Our starting pack has been struggling through the warm up games as well so it's not just the Fijian's size. The scrum improved around the 60 mark when some bigger lumps like Launchbury, Brookes the Vunipola's go subbed on.

Not that I think all those guys should should be starting but the forwards definitely need some extra ballast for the sake of balance.

CCS

Banned
Morning all. If I can recommend a couple of games today, Tonga v Georgia should be a good contest, in addition to Italy v France.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Morning folks.

I'll be solo in the shop today so will miss the first three matches. Would appreciate pithy one-liner summaries for the OP though. Enjoy!

BanGy.nz

Banned
I want support my Pacific cousins but I love the idea of Georgia getting a couple of wins, that might force the IRB to do more in developing them.

CCS

Banned
Either of these teams have a shot at upsetting Argentina, so this could potentially be a big game in the context of the group.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Quite a nice game so far.

And it seems that the referee can call offside at the start of a rolling maul as long as it's not England.

So who do people see topping this group? I think wales will pull it off!

Wales should have some players back before they play the Wannabees, right?

Either of these teams have a shot at upsetting Argentina, so this could potentially be a big game in the context of the group.
Argentina are like a scratch lottery ticket -- they often disappoint but every now then they provide something pleasantly surprising.

CCS

Banned
Beautiful try there. Fantastic break by Kirikashvili to start it.

Also, what a good performance by the youngest world cup player ever, Lobzanidze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom