• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Apple to take 3 years between full iPhone model changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

SILICON VALLEY -- Apple will likely take three years between full-model changes of its iPhone devices, a year longer than the current cycle. In a typical two-year term, fall 2016 was supposed to see a major upgrade. But the changes on the model to be launched this autumn will be minor, such as improved camera quality.

The move is largely due to smartphone functions having little room left for major enhancements. A slowing market is another factor.

Less frequent redesigns will significantly affect large-lot suppliers in Japan, Taiwan and other parts of Asia because of their heavy reliance on iPhone manufacturing.

The new version slated for this autumn will look almost identical to the current iPhone 6. Functions such as the camera, water resistance and battery capacity will likely be improved, and the headphone jack will be removed. Also, a high-end version of the model will give users better-quality photo capabilities via correction functions.

Apple sold some 230 million handsets in 2015, but unit sales will likely be less this year. According to Apple's production schedules provided to suppliers, the company is not expecting to sell more iPhones than last year.

On the other hand, the 2017 model will likely involve major enhancements and design changes, including adoption of an organic electroluminescent display. The new device will also be able to create more complex tactile vibrations on the display because of a tiny, but high-performance motor equipped inside.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Apple-to-extend-iPhone-s-product-cycle

Brave move if they're even considering this in a world where some manufacturers release two flagships in 12-18 months.
Do you think Apple will ever do this?

border

Most people are probably keeping their phones longer now, so it kinda makes sense. And yeah, they are really out of interesting hardware features to add.

WillyFive

This could either help turn the industry into a more conservative release schedule, making new releases even bigger events due to their rarity (like game systems); or could cause Apple to lose mind share as other companies co time to move on and make iPhones seem dated.

Wagram

Aww man I was really looking forward to upgrading from my Vtech landline telephone to the new Apple 18X Silver.

I am good with this.

Is the 7 still supposed to be this year? Or is it going to be another iteration of the 6? The rumor is that the casing doesn't seem to be different.

iavi

This doesn't mean they're being more conservative, though, nor do I think this is them starting a new trend. I honeslty think the iPhone 7 just isn't ready.

So they need another filler S model to maintain sales.

whitehawk

Banned
Most people are probably keeping their phones longer now, so it kinda makes sense. And yeah, they are really out of interesting hardware features to add.
I can't wait until all our phones have built in projectors. It will happen, but it's still a ways off.

Minamu

That's funny, because I'm keeping my second hand iphone 5 because there are no new interesting models coming from Apple :lol It's not my fault I'm keeping a phone for longer than I'd want.

Do people only upgrade when there's a change in the case? That's sort of what I'm getting from some of the replies in this thread

This is what's been rumored. Guess I'll hold onto this 6plus for another year

I feel my 6 plus definitely has another year in it. Not even upset. Battery still going like a champ.

Quick Charge? Wireless charging? Waterproof?

None of those amaze me. Quick charge? Use an ipad charger. Wireless? Why, then I can't use it while it's charging. Waterproof? It works just fine in the rain, don't need to text in the pool or shower. I mean they'd be nice but not "Lemme cop dat day one" nice...

It would be nice to see more innovative features with new models as opposed to slapping some other appliance in it. I'm hopeful the additional time will help with that.

nillah

Banned
The move is largely due to smartphone functions having little room left for major enhancements

200w.gif

Jebusman

Banned
So wait, video games consoles are approaching the more current cellphone model style of releasing, and in turn...... Apple is slowly moving away from the current cellphone model style of releasing.

Huh.

Diminishing returns combined with what would be considered major "features" are slowly drying up.

Eventually you are going to run out of things to just "add" to the phone, and without something new and shiny to prop up in your marketing, you're not going to get nearly the amount of attention that previous years did. Sure CPU gains and camera improvements are nice, but they're not "new". We've crossed that threshold of "requirements" that people need for it to be an acceptable experience. My little Moto E LTE handles everything I need it to with little compromise. I no longer need to buy the $700-800 flagship to get acceptable performance and/or quality. That bar has been lowered and it's going to hurt companies like Apple who essentially thrived on always just having "a phone" being their flagship.

Minamu

Quick Charge? Wireless charging? Waterproof?
As someone pointed out in an older thread, wireless charging would kinda suck since you can't really use the phone while charging as you can with a cord :/ It's a neat idea to have some sort of inductive plate for it, but isn't that great in practice, unless they build it into the phone somehow.

They're removing the headphone jack.

Sure, but is that enough for a numbered iteration? From what I hear the look of the phone is pretty much staying the same.

Do people only upgrade when there's a change in the case? That's sort of what I'm getting from some of the replies in this thread

I prefer waiting for the big new numbered release. I want my new hotness to look new.

Sure, but is that enough for a numbered iteration? From what I hear the look of the phone is pretty much staying the same.

I don't care about the look, I care about the guts.

-More battery
-More ram
-Less top/bottom bezel
-better screen

Shit, I'd really like a context sensitive button to the left and right of the home button if they keep that fat bottom bezel.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but if they do end up doing this do u think carriers will place a higher discount on subsidized phones?

Dominator

I'm still rocking my 6+, if this new one doesn't look different I'll keep it for a third year. I live by my headphone jack.

Not much has been done recently.

Slightly faster hardware? Slightly nicer screen? Slightly bigger battery?

Things are pretty stagnant.

We're reaching diminishing returns. Which is ok. It was inevitable.

The battle will now be fought more along software lines.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if they do end up doing this do u think carriers will place a higher discount on subsidized phones?

Didn't they ditch subsidized phones? Basically you can now just return your phone and grab the new hotness for "X" more per month on your bill as you essentially are renting your phone and don't own it until it's fully paid.

Weird that they aren't even considering a rugged iPhone line like Galaxy Active (more battery, waterproof, etc.)

My wife and I are very careful when letting our kid hold our phones. My friend's GF has that Galaxy Active and I was very impressed. She gave zero fucks about my kid holding it or dropping it.

Hazmat

This lines up with what we've heard already, right? That the next phone would look the same with bigger changes coming the following year.

At least in America, carriers are doing away with subsidize phones. T-Mobile and AT&T already dropped them, don't know if Verizon and Sprint have plans to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom