• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Call of Duty 2016 to Be Set in the “Very Far Future,” to Feature Space Combat

Matticers

Son of a bitch. This better not be true. I remember when they were cranking out WW2 games and I got so sick of it that I couldn't wait until they went to modern or futuristic combat. They did that and now they won't stop with the futuristic games... which always seem to have ridiculous jump abilities and all kinds of nonsense like that.

Just... please go back to a modern setting at this point. Or a past setting. Pretty please. I don't think I can do another futuristic game from a developer that isn't Treyarch. This might be the first CoD I ever skip if it's true.

So I take it that cliffhanger ending to Ghosts is long forgotten now? Not that the story was particularly good but I'd like some closure from a dev when they take that route.

Black Ops 3 burned me bad as a mostly campaign player so hopefully that at least gets better this time out but I won't be buying day one unless the feedback is great.

So I take it that cliffhanger ending to Ghosts is long forgotten now? Not that the story was particularly good but I'd like some closure from a dev when they take that route.

Black Ops 3 burned me bad as a mostly campaign player so hopefully that at least gets better this time out but I won't be buying day one unless the feedback is great.

It hasn't been forgotten by any means. It's among the main reasons that the campaign in Ghosts is disliked.

Hard

Banned
jF04SrK.jpg

Relevant.

why haven't they made a COD multiplayer that takes place in the future AND the past.

so you'll have matches in future settings with futuristic weapons, and you'll also have matches in the past, like WWII, with appropriate weaponry.

zsynqx

That would be implying that Black Ops 3 didn't plan on having it's movement system.

I know, just explaining what the other poster probably meant.

Personally, I think Blops 3 found a nice balance by keeping combat generally grounded while still allowing the extra mobility.

That said, I still want them to go back to a Cod4 esque experience.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I don't think I can do another futuristic game from a developer that isn't Treyarch.
Advanced Warfare (not to mention BO2) developed by Sledgehammer was in pretty much every way a much better game than BO3 in terms of SP content in my opinion. Can't wait for the next game from Sledgehammer.

Archpath1

So titanfall

But far future? How much scifi?
We talking aliens, different planets, wonder what kind of future tech/weapons?!

why haven't they made a COD multiplayer that takes place in the future AND the past.

so you'll have matches in future settings with futuristic weapons, and you'll also have matches in the past, like WWII, with appropriate weaponry.

That would require a lot of content creation. Separate maps, costumes, weapons, perks etc. A map in one of the current CoD's would be terrible for a game set in the past as they're built around the new mechanics.

Mechazawa

The "future" backlash here is so silly. None of the CoDs are even set further than 50 years into the future. The past three CoDs hew closer to the Modern Warfare series than they do to, say, a Mass Effect.

If Infinity Ward can make a game worth a damn again, a far-flung Sci-Fi setting would be a nice change of pace.

That would require a lot of content creation. Separate maps, costumes, weapons, perks etc. A map in one of the current CoD's would be terrible for a game set in the past as they're built around the new mechanics.

but they'd make separate maps depending on whether it's the future or past. Activision can afford this.

oggob

Worst Case Scenario....

Activision has acquired the rights to TimeSplitters... Sets new Call Of Duty in the far off future... The main character has the ability to time jump to various points in previous CoD campaigns, where you are are a "support" type character helping from afar the previous main character of that level...

This way we can have all time periods!

Call of Duty : TimeSplitters!

I like space. Space is cool. Go all out with it. Have maps on different planets. Have you be part of a militairy team tasked to fight aliens. Kind of like Starship Troopers.

This has me excited only if we'll be shooting laser beams and insane weapons that don't resemble weapons today. For example, the Cerebral Bore.

Infinity Ward is making the game so it'll probably be mediocre regardless of setting.

Edit: I hope they can match or exceed Treyarch, but it's highly unlikely.

Cc23830

As an unashamed Call of duty fanboy this disappoints me hugely. I will admit i enjoyed black ops 3 for a couple of days. But i will not be buying a space shooter.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Why not a WWII shooter with focus split between field combat and Black Ops/Inglorious Basterds-esque espionage?

I mean forgotten by Infinity Ward as setting this is the far future suggests there is little chance of any kind of resolution.

It's the best course of action for them. From the moment it was announced there were bad vibes about it. The reveal was a mess as evidenced by memes sticking so heavily to it. Whether it be Riley (and the gif of his mouth opening) or "Fish AI". People were laughing at it rather than being excited about seeing the first look at CoD on current gen consoles.

Cynn

See guys! Halo wasn't trying to become more like COD. They were just both meeting in the middle.

I mean forgotten by Infinity Ward as setting this is the far future suggests there is little chance of any kind of resolution.

I mean, Ghosts was widely disliked and damaged the brand to a certain extent, so I imagine Activision is more more than happy to leave it behind and try again with New Infinity Ward.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
COD chasing Halo and Titanfall eventhough it is ahead.. what the fuck?

You have to change the formula to keep it going. CoD used to be about WW2, it's only natural to make the switch to scifi. Modern day shooters are restricted in settings and weapons. Advanced Warfare was a first step, I'm ok if they take it to another time entirely. They do have three studios, so they can still do three different periods. I'm expecting a return to WW2 or even a visit to WW1 for 2017.

G-Fex

That's what I thought these CoD games would go.

It's either even FURTHER into the future or time travel aspects.

I fucking called it

daTRUballin

I'm starting to get sick of all these futuristic shooters. Seriously. Can't they just do something else for the next COD?

Raylan

Banned
This his hilarious.

COD Fans: Stop with the futuristic weapons/armor nonsense.
Activision: What did you just say? Here is Call of Star Trek, bitch!

Another COD-less year for me.

If they lean completely into the future angle it could be interesting. BO3 and AW weren't quite futuristic enough. I'd rather have full blown modern settings or distant future instead of the near future.

Yeah. Fuck it. I hope IW go full future with this. I want O'Neill cylinder space colonies and ships with rotating sections for gravity. I want Babylon 5 without the aliens or Universal Century-era Gundam without the robots.

Why not go in the direction of Wolfenstien? Futuristic world war 2? Would be more interesting.

I hope this doesn't impact the sales of titanfall 2 if it's announced soon.

Edit; I'm not even mad at the setting. I'm mad that cod has felt like shit to play since ghosts.

Top Bottom