• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Call of Duty 2016 to Be Set in the “Very Far Future,” to Feature Space Combat

woen

You have to change the formula to keep it going. CoD used to be about WW2, it's only natural to make the switch to scifi. Modern day shooters are restricted in settings and weapons. Advanced Warfare was a first step, I'm ok if they take it to another time entirely. They do have three studios, so they can still do three different periods. I'm expecting a return to WW2 or even a visit to WW1 for 2017.

Black Ops 2 was already about big drone warfares and sc-fi gadgets that won't happen until many decades

ViciousDS

Banned
If it has jumping jetpacks And we look luck a bunch of fucking jumping jacks.....skip

Black Ops 3 still exists so I'm good till next gen or we go back to the past again.

roytheone

I for one like this trend of futuristic settings. It gives developers way more freedom, both on the story front and the gameplay front.

faridmon

I fucking hate the futuristic route this series have gone. Black OPS 1 is my favorite because of how grounded everything was. It doesn't help the fact that their gun design of the futuristic weapons are pretty much shit.

Stop with this Bullshit Activision.

I want low gravity, laser based combat. No projectile based weapons unless in space proper where rupturing a suit means death.

Fuck. Take inspiration from Gainax classics for ship design while you're at it.

rdytoroll

Disappointed. At this point I'm convinced that they'll never go back to WW2. They kinda shot themselves in the foot by making the scorestreaks and movement crazier every game. They cant go back now, not without losing a significant part of the playerbase and they know that. I just want to play D-Day on a modern engine, is that really too much of a demand?

Hip Hop

As long as multiplayer is great (which has been up to this point), it doesn't really matter to me what theme they choose to do.

It'd be nice if they get the future right though. AW and BO3 are set in the future, but they didn't go full on it. Would be nice to finally see power and lasers be the main weapons of choice. Are they finally embracing it?

I'm looking forward to it. Let's if IW learned a few things after their last offering.

faridmon

Disappointed. At this point I'm convinced that they'll never go back to WW2. They kinda shot themselves in the foot by making the scorestreaks and movement crazier every game. They cant go back now, not without losing a significant part of the playerbase and they know that. I just want to play D-Day on a modern engine, is that really too much of a demand?

I don't really want WW2. That was done to death at this point, and the current COD style of gameplay doesn't suit the gun play of that era anyway. but the Cold War era stuff and onwards seems to be under utilised

Yay another year of BLOPS 3 (I'm ok with this)

Hold on a sec if this turns out to be garbage and AW2 is after that then I'll have to wait till the next Treyach instalment.

knitoe

Seems like the first COD game, since MW1, I am going to skip. I was hoping for MW4, but at this point, I'll take a remaster MW1 / MW2.

rdytoroll

I don't really want WW2. That was done to death at this point, and the current COD style of gameplay doesn't suit the gun play of that era anyway. but the Cold War era stuff and onwards seems to be under utilised

That's your opinion and that's fine, but I feel that a lot of people want to play in that era again. It has been a long time. I can agree with you on the bolded part and that's why they'll never go back to WW2. For me all these futuristic shooters (Call of Duty now being a part of that) are done to death at this point though.

So futuristic COD vs historic Battlefield this Fall. I wonder which one will be more appealing.

I won't even consider buying COD so the choice is easy for me.

Lima

call-of-duty-2015.jpg

Just thinking how much more epic you could make this with today's power. The scope alone would be so much more impressive. God damn.

Zombine

Banned
Fans:
"We really want WWII or something firmly in reality..."

Activision:

"How about fake space guns...and aliens...and DRAGONS"

Fans:

"No we really want--"

Activision:

"SPACE SHIPS."

Fans:

"No what about World War Two-"

Activison:

"MILLION. World War 2,000,000 with alien nazis."

Fans:

"No thanks." *buys it anyways*

No boots on the ground = no buy.

Microtransaction gambling system = no buy.

I'm probably never buying COD again, especially after the shitshow that is BO3.

Shredderi

Just thinking how much more epic you could make this with today's power. The scope alone would be so much more impressive. God damn.

Exactly. You fucking get it. I want to go back to the WW days because of how much more impressive it would be. I wish I was a a multibillionaire and could just brute force dream projects with chump change.

kiguel182

Better than WW2 for sure.

I'm curious what they do with this even if I'll probably stick with Blops3 since the last Infinity War game wasn't good.

Kalor

I've enjoyed the near future stuff so going full sci-fi could be really interesting. I'd rather the series do new things rather than go back to WWI/II.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Sci-fi shooter eh?

If the next BF ends up being 2143...damn...

That's a trifecta right there...

Sci-fi does have, like always, potential - free, open canvas literally.

Top Bottom