• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Call of Duty 2016 to Be Set in the “Very Far Future,” to Feature Space Combat

SPCTRE

Can't wait.

SsJrO03.gif

watdaeff4

So, Halo was a console FPS blockbuster.

CoD4 came out and subsequent iterations topped Halo (sales-wise at minimum and arguably quality/gameplay depending on tastes).

343 Halo tried to incorporate aspects of CoD

Bungie went on to develop a blockbuster in Destiny

And now CoD is going for the sci-fi settings of Bungie's Halo/Destiny.

3-5 years from now we'll have a big mash-up of Destiny/CoD with Activision rolling in the dough.

Elandyll

Banned
Call of Wing Halo Commander then?

Weirdly enough, might be the first COD I ever buy (mostly for space combat if well done)...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think that makes sense given Neversoft was making space alien content and got merged into Infinity Ward.

This is what I was expecting actually due to that.

Hip Hop

I hope this (and other similar trended games) push DICE to finally make the severely needed sequel of 2142.

Rodin

That doesn't sound like Bloodlines. Geno am cry

Anyway, i'm with the WW2 crowd. It's been a while now and i want to see that setting with current gen graphics, but apparently they're moving to Future Warfare, so.

Well, I'm actually interested in this. Bring on the plasma rifles and butt jets.

I can't believe people want WW2 again. I know it's been a while, but the amount of WW2 shooters last decade was a big enough helping for 2 lifetimes. Well, scratch that, I want WW2 shooters in VR.

A bit disappointed if this is true. Even outside of CoD, futuristic/sci-fi shooters are saturating the market right. I feel confident that it will change eventually and the cycle will continue. We went from WW2 shooters, and when people really got sick of it we got modern military shooters, and now we're in the future. I just wonder where it will go from here (probably back to modern or past settings)

And to people saying that a modern setting would be looked at as a downgrade, I disagree. Outside of GAF and other enthusiast communities, I see "CoD 4 nostalgia" on facebook and twitter being posted by the people that CoD is really the only game that they play. I think it would be viewed as a return to its popular roots.

Gaz_RB

Its not like there's a ton of realistic and futuristic shooters out there. I doubt they'll do aliens. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Hip Hop

It sounds like DICE is taking the other extreme and making a Workd War 1 game.

Yeah, which is really surprising tbh. Those tidbits in BF3 and BF4, and fans of the series always clamoring for a new entry in the futuristic setting. I would've guessed it would be coming soon.

It looks like COD developers and DICE are doing the opposite of what some fans may want.

No interest in going back to WW1 or WW2. That got burnt out to a point that I don't ever want to see them go back. I'd be more interested in either current day or futuristic time line. All for it.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE END OF COD GHOSTS

Isn't this the year? I want the answer!!!! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!

Logan and Rorke eventually replaced their deep hatred with respect, which cemented their blossoming friendship.
They eventually opened an Airbnb in the dense, yet idyllic South American jungle with a respectable 87% with 1337 reviews.
Hesh however is not so lucky. In a depressed state due to losing all his money in a counterfeit amiibo scam, he falls into a deep depression.
But his luck was about to change.
Egged on by the "I can do that" mentality people get after watching a YouTube video, he decides to start a channel whose focus is on the almost deserted game Evolve, with the primary objective to "git dis sucka da respect its needs".
Completely taking everyone by surprise, his channel is a massive success, leading the game to get hit by a second wind of popularity.
This resurgence hits the YouTube gaming channels. No longer is minecraft the number one gaming related search, Evolve is all anybody wants. This leads to all game development being put on hold, leaving more time for Evolve.
In the distant future, Evolve has become a way of life for all. The history of Turtle Rock studios and advanced Evolve techniques are all that is taught by the school systems throughout the world, 24 hours of gameplay of Evolve is shown from every TVs network throughout the world, children are named after one of the 4 main protagonists, truly showing how deeply the game was misunderstood.
All the world wants is Evolve.
Logan and Rorke, thankfully have been oblivious to all of this in the deepest South American jungles, more concerned with their ratings on trip advisor. Thankfully they have been alerted to the worlds Evolve driven downfall by Riley, who after the fall of the LOKI, became a moderately successful regional manager of a mid sized towns McDonald's in the mid west. Concerned with the worlds dependency on Evolve, Riley convinces Logan and Rorke to reform the ghost squad. They recruit the ghost of their fallen father, Elias, forming their own 4 man Evolve hit squad to take down their former compatriot Hesh, who by now has become a living God on Earth due to that YouTube money and "dem mad skillz".
Will they succeed? Find out in Call of Duty:Evolving Ghost.

Preorder now for exclusive Riley anti-Evolve yoga pants and wind breaker.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm sick to death of near future, but full-on far-future sci-fi sounds fucking great to me. Tbh I'd be happy just as long as the climax doesn't take place in a robots dream.

WTF were they thinking.

What is realistic futuristic? :)

Space travel and distant planets but no aliens or Mass Effect/Starcraft 'end of the galaxy' plotlines. That's my understanding of what he meant.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm cool with this. I've been waiting ages for one of these shooters to move past the modern day or what CoD has been stuck in with this "in the future but only like 20 years" thing they have at the moment.

I want me some future shooter, totally over the top, laser beams maybe, space ships and shit, because why not.

Tovarisc

No interest in going back to WW1 or WW2. That got burnt out to a point that I don't ever want to see them go back. I'd be more interested in either current day or futuristic time line. All for it.

Decade of WW2 games burned that time period for FPS games, but decade of modern / near future time period for FPS games is still fresh and interesting? Not pointed at just you, but something I started to think about yesterday. How modern time setting FPS games are somehow still seen as interesting and fresh, when WW2 setting was called dead horse after similar decade-ish of games set in said time period?

ncslamm

As a long time COD fan this is really disappointing. I had high hopes they would go back to the WW2 era. I know it's too early to pass judgement on the game but I think I may pass on COD this year for the first time.

GavinUK86

The best section in Ghosts was the space bit so I'm happy if it's that for a few hours.

When I played that for the first time all I could think about was that I wanted an entire campaign like it.

If this is true then I'll buy it day one.

I await the COD4-style reveal where you'll be fighting alongside your space-suited buddies in space, defending some orbital platform or whatnot and losing ground, and then the enemy takes over the platform and launches missiles at the planet.

Cut to your screen going all glitchy and a VR helmet being removed, and suddenly you're in some call-center cubicle farm that's on fire and everyone's getting the fuck out because you've been hit by an airstrike from a rogue orbital platform. Turns out you've been controlling drones this whole time and your drones lost the orbital platform. The rest of the game is Disaster Report 4.

It sounds like DICE is taking the other extreme and making a Workd War 1 game.

I only entertained the idea because it would be one of my fantasy dream games come true but is it a plausible rumor at this point? We've had the initial store leak that sparked the rumor and then a couple of unconvincing fake documents.

You have three teams. Each team has their own sub-series. Each team is now gonna be making futuristic combat.

Fuck right off. Black Ops 3 was the most sterile, uninspired game I've played in the series and I played Ghosts. At least Ghosts had a hilarious antagonist.

BBboy20

Why not go in the direction of Wolfenstien? Futuristic world war 2? Would be more interesting.

I hope this doesn't impact the sales of titanfall 2 if it's announced soon.

Edit; I'm not even mad at the setting. I'm mad that cod has felt like shit to play since ghosts.
Treyarch was going to make a monster FPS but was denied.

Respawn is probably still the best bet to make Crew Expendable (In Space).

ncslamm

You guys do many playthoughs on the campaign for the recent CODs? I usually don't even touch it.

The only campaigns I played through multiple times were the Modern Warfare Trilogy. Advanced Warfare's campaign is superb so I may go back and play that this weekend.

Bolivar687

Banned
What made Call of Duty stand out for me was how it took authentic military factions, weapons and hit scan shooting then combined that with deathmatch/score environment of Arena shooters.

It's the third year of this gen and I have no enthusiasm for any more jumpy shooters. I really cannot imagine why Activision would want this series to have three teams making futuristic installments. If this is true then I also hope the rumors of an MW1/MW2 re-release are also true.

FaintDeftone

I just don't care anymore. This series is so damn stale. We have shooters like R6 Siege doing much more interesting things for me to even care about another by-the-numbers CoD game. I'm much more looking forward to that WWI Battlefield title that's rumored.

Top Bottom