• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Call of Duty 2016 to Be Set in the “Very Far Future,” to Feature Space Combat

Just stop already! Go back to WW2 and show us how its done on the next gen hardware. Then I will be happy to play a COD game again. But yet another futuristic shooter? No thanks.

They need to go back in time. WW2.

Please to god stop asking for another WW2 shooter people! Someone might actually listen and do it.

We really don't need this industry going in circles, I would rather take a future setting with brand new ideas being brought to the table or a completely different war setting than another WW2 game.

Source of rumor is some posts here on GAF in this thread, now being reported by various sites, so I thought a new thread was ok.

Please lock/delete if not appropriate or not substantial enough.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...set-far-future-feature-space-combat/#/slide/1

Thoughts on Call of Duty 2016 supposedly taking the franchise in this direction?

---

Edit:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-29-this-years-call-of-duty-is-set-in-space-report

Thanks Endless

If this is the case COD is dead to me now. I was already soured after Advanced Warfare but this takes it over the top.

It's time they bring in lasers. If they are going down this route they need to be looking at Star Wars for inspiration. Dive all in.

Ensoul

I will wait until I have more details until I make a judgement even though IW has not made a good COD MP games since MW 2.

I kind of thought the were going to go in that direction a while back, before Ghosts, Advanced Warfare, etc. I don't know what it will do for gameplay, but back then I thought it would be nice to have a change of setting.

It doesn't really matter what the theme or setting is. Activision is killing what ever good will is left in the community with supply drops. Then we also have the issue of an IW cod after how awful ghosts was.

I own every cod and with the greedy supply drops ruining blops 3 multiplayer I'm done with the franchise. I'm sure the casuals will bite but I can see a huge drop in sales this year.

A ton of rumors are going around that treyarch was forced to add weapons to supply drops and the studio is unhappy. I would expect some of the devs to leave after this cycle if the tumors are true.

I loathe these lottery style gambling supply drops so no matter the setting or Dev any future cod is gonna be tainted with this shit.

J-Roderton

A ton of rumors are going around that treyarch was forced to add weapons to supply drops and the studio is unhappy. I would expect some of the devs to leave after this cycle if the tumors are true.

I loathe these lottery style gambling supply drops so no matter the setting or Dev any future cod is gonna be tainted with this shit.

Wow. How shitty.

aravuus

It doesn't really matter what the theme or setting is. Activision is killing what ever good will is left in the community with supply drops. Then we also have the issue of an IW cod after how awful ghosts was.

I own every cod and with the greedy supply drops ruining blops 3 multiplayer I'm done with the franchise. I'm sure the casuals will bite but I can see a huge drop in sales this year.

The Blops 3 drops now contain weapons? What in the everliving fuck

The Blops 3 drops now contain weapons? What in the everliving fuck

Yes sir like 4 or 5 now plus a ton of melee weapons . They just added the Mp40 and a snipper. Activitision is also threatening to sue redditors trying to crack to the odds of supply drops.

It's about a 1% chance to get new weapons and some people are finding the odds go up if you buy cod points instead of free crypto keys. Right now it costs about 80$ to 100$ per gun to get them.

I have maybe 8 days played and I'm master prestige level 115. I did not get a single gun until I broke down and spent 40$ on points because I'm stupid.

I still only have the mx garand so I'm missing the other 4.

You can't really get the weapons without buying them unless you are very lucky.

TheFatMan

As long as Extinction mode comes back this year I will be ok. I enjoyed that more than any other CoD mode in the last 5 years.

kanuuna

I'm imagining something close to Elysium. Sci-fi, but with a very grounded aesthetic.
I'll watch the trailers, but I don't think I'll be picking this up. Ghosts was awful, even for it's campaign.

Now Sledgehammer's next game, that's something I'm genuinely looking forward to.

legacyzero

Banned

Yeah, this is pissing me off with Halo 5 as well (I just want the Halo 2 BR GODDAMIT). You dont even get those COD weapons if you own the season pass. It's fucking bullshit.

Yoday

I'm all for this. The near future stuff is alright, but it just ends up feeling like yet another modern shooter with some minor movement and aesthetic tweaks. I couldn't be more bored of modern shooters. Either go back to the world wars, or go far future.

Yeah, this is pissing me off with Halo 5 as well (I just want the Halo 2 BR GODDAMIT). You dont even get those COD weapons if you own the season pass. It's fucking bullshit.

Isn't the halo stuff cosmetic only? These guns have stat changes in cod. I didn't have a problem with it when they said cosmetic only.

Rumor is the deal with activision was as long as the drops sell as well as they did in advanced warfare treyarch could keep it cosmetic. They didn't sell as well and now we have guns that would have been in the season pass stuffed into a lottery system.

You also get free maps in halo I could maybe stomach the supply drops of dlc maps are free but activision is way too greedy for that.

I'm praying titanfall 2 drops this holiday.

aravuus

Yes sir like 4 or 5 now plus a ton of melee weapons . They just added the Mp40 and a snipper. Activitision is also threatening to sue redditors trying to crack to the odds of supply drops.

It's about a 1% chance to get new weapons and some people are finding the odds go up if you buy cod points instead of free crypto keys. Right now it costs about 80$ to 100$ per gun to get them.

I have maybe 8 days played and I'm master prestige level 115. I did not get a single gun until I broke down and spent 40$ on points because I'm stupid.

I still only have the mx garand so I'm missing the other 4.

You can't really get the weapons without buying them unless you are very lucky.

Jesus christ, glad I dropped the game after a month

As if the future stuff wasn't enough, now I'm convinced I won't buy the next CoD. Hell, maybe Blops 3 will be the last CoD I ever buy.

Cool, but I know I'm always clinging to get that CoD 4 feeling again, where the game was a bit slower and I felt like I had to think about my actions rather than depend purely on muscle memory.

Lunar15

It's going to be called Space Warfare. Quote me on it.

Nah, that sounds too sci-fi for a series with a market like CoD. It has to be something slightly more grounded.

I expect they'll play up the military aspect even harder than usual to contrast against the space themes.

If its fun I am in, I am (still) really enjoying black ops 3 and probably one of my favorite buys of 2015.

Would dovetail nicely too if the rumors are true that battlefield 5 is launching this year and will be set in WW1 or WW2, albeit with some (minor?) alternate timeline stuff.

I honestly thought they would go back and make modern warfare 4. It seems at this point that they don't want to remove the enhanced movement of wall running, jetpacks, powerslides, etc. I think the only hope we have left for a historical setting is if time travel is involved somehow.

specdot

Why are people complaining about this?? Can you imagine running around with your space suit or whatever in a space station?! With magnetic boots and all that? You're running on the ceiling and your opponent is right under you. You either pick em off or jump on top of them with a melee kill.
Am I too excited about this news?

Going to be sick in 2019 when they combine all of their series into one big TimeSplitters-esque call of Duty.

Killstreaks include V-2 Rocket, AC130, Jupiter Cannon

Edit: Damn, someone already mentioned this on the first page. It has legs Activision!

I honestly thought they would go back and make modern warfare 4. It seems at this point that they don't want to remove the enhanced movement of wall running, jetpacks, powerslides, etc. I think the only hope we have left for a historical setting is if time travel is involved somehow.

It'd be kinda neat if they started it off as a typical WWII shooter and then you find some top secret lab and there's Nazis in exo suits running around on walls and shit and the game just goes full nutter butters from there.

Gorillaz

Nah im good on WW2 games. We had them for so long that im still over them for another 5 yesrs at least.

More modern CoD4 like stuff im interested in again. Holy shit if they actually go even further into the future.

Top Bottom