• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Disney Resetting Star Wars

johntown

Banned
https://cosmicbook.news/disney-resetting-star-wars-erasing-last-jedi

200w.webp

Please be more than a rumor

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Keep The Force Awakens and say the other two movies were "the bad ending."

Or sure, just reset it completely. The Force Awakens was fine, but nothing I would greatly miss.

Doubt it will happen, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox Mulder

I don’t see Disney having the balls to toss them in the trash after all this. They’d catch so much woke shit from it. The Mandalorian did pretty well, they’ll just move on.

It sucks we didn’t get a proper ending for the original cast, but it’s too late now for some multiverse retry with Carrie Fisher dead and Ford and Hamill most likely done with the franchise now.

Last edited:

shoplifter

I don’t see it happening. This is where I’m thinking Doomcock is just trying to stir the pot.

I don't think he's making it up, he's generally pretty good about this sort of stuff. I'm sure he's taking a bit of glee in the rumor he was passed by the Lucasfilm source though.

\/\/\/ Overlord Doomcock isn't prone to flights of fantasy, fwiw.

Last edited:

Dazrael

All that sounds like the inane ramblings of a Youtuber with too much time on their hands. It’s too precise to be anything but their fanboy dream for what should happen.

While the Disney trilogy was shat for the most part (The Force Awakens isn’t that bad a film) the least Lucasfilm can do is own the good and the bad that came with it. Owning up to a reset just sounds like they don’t have faith or control in their own product, which is why it’ll never happen.

And if they are thinking of a reset they should just leave that time period well alone, they should never have tried to end something that already ended in ROTJ.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The only reason I can see to do this is to keep some of the most recent trilogies cast. They have an entire galaxy and vast time expanse they can use if they want to completely detach themselves from the recent movies.

shoulda retconned before the sequel trilogy was wrapped up and all the OT actors are older/dead

this is just dumb anyways. no way they retconn the ST. they wanted a fresh start for starwars and they got it. theyll jsut create new trilogies and stories leaving the OT and ST stuff in the dust

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Makes no difference. Your shit was made and probably won't change, because the problem is Disney it self. No damage control will save it.

The franchise itself is dead. Would be better for anyone if remain that way, at least the old times would remain intact.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don't think he's making it up, he's generally pretty good about this sort of stuff. I'm sure he's taking a bit of glee in the rumor he was passed by the Lucasfilm source though.

\/\/\/ Overlord Doomcock isn't prone to flights of fantasy, fwiw.
Correct. Last year he was one of the loudest saying the leaks were true and they were testing endings and all this stuff that people swore were all dismissing as “Youtuber lies”.

Mostly I don’t see them invalidating the work of Carrie Fisher in that way. The performances of the og cast would be confirmed wasted. It would also really be a giant spit in the face to everyone who was ever invested in the ST.

I don’t see it but then again they have proven themselves wholly incompetent and berift of any unique creative ideas of merit it wouldn’t be unthinkable that they would stoop this low.

Last edited:

shoplifter

It would also really be a giant spit in the face to everyone who was ever invested in the ST.

There are probably some factions at LF that place more value on the fans that kept the series alive for 40 years than the more casual, newer fans. Star Trek seems to have gone in a similar direction lately, trying to attract a 'cool new audience' while trying their best to discard the one that kept it going for so long when no new TV was made for almost 15 years., and 20 before that.

If you liked the ST, I'm not going to begrudge you for liking it - it just seems that there are two very different audiences. I don't see this happening in the end either, but I'm not going to discount it. Toys are rotting on the shelves everywhere, they were on clearance even before RoS hit theaters.

Disney only cares about making a buck with the series. Not that George didn't, but at least it was his baby. I actually feel bad at this point that I was happy when George sold.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
They won't do it because it would be admitting defeat, and what would be the point of making a non-canon alternate universe that you'd never revisit since it was created in the first place to wipe it from memory and do something better?

Sybrix

'A new rumor has hit the net offering that some sort of Disney Star Wars reset is in the works that will see Force Awakens, Last Jedi, and Skywalker basically erased '

Ive seen 100s of adverts about the 'Skywalker Saga' and the big Disney + release.

No way are they erasing anything

sobaka770

Banned
This would be the biggest "L" in history of cinema. Especially if they do it on a TV show or God-forbid in a comic book.

Yeah, we get it, some people didn't like the Sequels but damn if there's not a whole universe and timeline whether in the past or the future that can be reset at any point. The Skywalker Saga is done, go next.

PS. I'm actually not looking that much towards High Republic, seems too close to original timeline and we know the outcome. Put it a 1000 years in the future.

carlosrox

Banned
Star Wars has gotten way too much overblown shit since the prequel days.

I love all the movies, the whole saga, warts and all, even including episode 8 and 9.

The hate this series gets is fucking ridiculous.

It could work.

I mean the Disney trilogy is already pretty much just fanfiction, why not milk the love for the oroginal trilogy with multiple different sequel trilogies from various creators? That way they get to pump out new movies built off the love people have for the old movies forever, and if fans don't like it, they can wait half a decade and give the next version of the sequel trilogy a go.

It'd be like the inverse of the MCU, none are in canon with one another, but they all have the same starting point.

NickFire

It could work.

I mean the Disney trilogy is already pretty much just fanfiction, why not milk the love for the oroginal trilogy with multiple different sequel trilogies from various creators? That way they get to pump out new movies built off the love people have for the old movies forever, and if fans don't like it, they can wait half a decade and give the next version of the sequel trilogy a go.

It'd be like the inverse of the MCU, none are in canon with one another, but they all have the same starting point.
It would be copying the worst parts of the Terminator franchise.

-Arcadia-

Banned
True or not, this

It's said that the events from The Force Awakens, Last Jedi, and Skywalker "will be removed from canon, isolated in their own alternate timeline and regarded as an Elseworlds-like installment under the label of Star Wars Legends."

...is a pretty good solution, that still somewhat respects the contributions of the actors and all the people involved (I know. But you don't do business by erasing all the work your partners did). It's pretty much where this trilogy is for me already -- this would simply be making it official.

Echelon

They could also just pull a Star Trek to avoid the mess of having to retcon the shit in a movie. They can say that the JJ trilogy is its own separate Abaramsverse and that Legends is the "true" cannon timeline.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I wonder if they'd put all the background story in the Disney trilogy timeline into the 'Elseworld' as well?

So, Rebels, the comics, pretty much the whole equally stupid set-up behind the three movies, where the Republic demilitarizes and lets the Empire do it's thing.

Because that really needs to go too.

Frankly, just kill everything, short of The Mandalorian.

Ememee

Absolutely not going to happen lol..

But eh. Whether it’s Taika, Favreau, or Rians shit, I feel like eventually timey-wimey bullshit will be introduced.

Top Bottom