• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Disney Resetting Star Wars

GV82

Check the source, Cosmicbook News?
They aren’t a site I’d go to for my news.

Would be nice though.

Last edited:
Eh. I'm sure whatever movies they'd replace them with would be just as bad. It's not like they're going to take agenda out of Star Wars. Look at the new High Republic stuff. It's garbage. Star Wars had a good run. It's not going to ever be what it once was.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Just heard Doomcock speak of this as well. I'd be for it. New movies are largely shit. I also wouldn't care if it didn't happen. My fandom is of the original trilogy and a few of the games.

Roufianos

What would they even get from doing it though? The chance for a new sequel trilogy? Doubt any of the original cast would even be interested.

Kev Kev

holy shit, what if disney went ham and rebooted everything, only keeping the canon of the OT :messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming:

lol

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
What would they even get from doing it though? The chance for a new sequel trilogy? Doubt any of the original cast would even be interested.

This is a very solid point.

Why not just give us new stories? They dont have to be related to the Skywalker plot at all.

They have literal universe to pull from with that IP. This is the dumbest shit.

Yoda

I use to be a star wars mega fan. Would even buy the UCS legos despite being an adult :), but not anymore, I still refuse to even watch the last movie. I think it's time to let the series die. Obviously Disney isn't going to let their 4 billion dollar investment go to waste... but they reduce the fanbase every time they launch a new title. I think keep it low key for awhile, The Mandalorian and maybe a few cartoons or something and don't try at blockbusters until they actually have something. Right now, it's on-track to become a B-tier comic book franchise.

Dev1lXYZ

They based Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge x2 on the new trilogy. The Rise of The Resistance x 2 ride itself, a multi billion dollar ride as well. I doubt this will happen in lieu of the money already invested.

I wish a reset would happen. The Disney trilogy is terrible.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

When it comes to anything except 2D/3D cartoons, Disney should reset themselves.

Especially when it comes to Star Wars (except Solo: A Star Wars Story), Disney has been riding on the huge popularity of the franchise, made lots of money, but ultimately produced mediocre at best movies which probably did more bad than good for the franchise.

I don't except much from them when it comes to Star Wars.

I'm also pretty furious that they bought 20th Century Fox and now hold the Alien franchise hostage, which means we're probably never going to get the final Alien prequel.

Pagusas

Elden Member
lmao.... it aint happening. dont get your hopes up. and even if it did, it wouldnt do anything to restore Star Wars to previous glory.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I give it a big meh 🤷‍♂️ dont care either way. Movies are ultimately about money for the studios and I could see an unprecedented move like this paying off for them so why not? It would at the very least be interesting.

The people it would tick off will be there on opening night anyway. You all know that.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
holy shit, what if disney went ham and rebooted everything, only keeping the canon of the OT :messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming:

lol
They should remake the original trilogy but swap Luke with Leia, while making the former a bumbling loser who can't do anything without having Leia bail him out.

Last edited:

Calcium

Banned
I'll elaborate on this since my first post was while I was working. There are two glaring reasons this would never happen. One, Carrie Fischer is dead and there is no way Disney would disgrace her memory by "erasing" her last performance. Just wouldn't happen. Two, Hollywood would never allow the "russian trolls" to win. Admitting failure of any kind with the new trilogy would do just that.

I fully believe there is a dispute behind the scenes between Favreu and Kennedy, though. She must be fucking furious that everyone seems to love The Mandalorian yet her films are tearing the fanbase apart.

Fbh

That would be hilarious but I seriously doubt they'd do it.
Erasing their first female led Star Wars trilogy and the last Star Wars performance we'll ever get from Carrie Fisher? No way they'll do that. Also I'm not sure about Mark Hamil but good luck getting Harrison Ford to come back.

Since they obviously won't simply drop the Star Wars franchise, I think the best they can do if they want a clean break is finally putting the whole Skywalker - Empire vs Rebels storyline to rest and just jump 500+ years into the future or the past and start a completely new and mostly unrelated story.

There:

4:20 minutes and it already has a better plotline than the sequels while retaining all the stuff the average person wants from Star Wars (Lightsabers, spaceships, good vs bad, the force, etc)

Last edited:
Why is averyone assuming that they will do the same timing like the ST did?

They could enter much more early and start around where the Mandalorian plays.

Just get some young actors playing Luke, Leia and Han (or use Alden Ehrenreich) and show the time after the defeat of the empire.

sol_bad

I hope this is not true but if it is, OK.
Love them or hate them, it doesn't erase the sequel films from history

shoplifter

^^^ Don't kid yourself

Since they obviously won't simply drop the Star Wars franchise, I think the best they can do if they want a clean break is finally putting the whole Skywalker - Empire vs Rebels storyline to rest and just jump 500+ years into the future or the past and start a completely new and mostly unrelated story.

Which is what they should have done in the first place if they weren't going to use the treatments George provided them.

Last edited:
This is all hopefully true..yes while sadly it wastes the opportunity of the original cast well never get again....the sequel trilogy did that anyway.

Ive heard rumours of this floating around even before Doomcock mentioned it. Apparently Kennedy got a talking to about her financial failures of her wokeverse.

Those people doubting it , do you really think Disney would waste an opportunity to double their money by basically remaking things

Latest rumour is that they may not be complete remakes but the existing movies will be re-edited and LOTS of new scenes will be shot to the degree that they will basically be new movies.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Disney just needs to buy star trek so we can have a star trek star wars crossover

Edit:. Actually they should also buy spawn as well so we can have a TRIPLE crossover with all three franchises and maybe the ninja turtles later in the future depending on how successful this triple crossover is

Last edited:

Fbh

Which is what they should have done in the first place if they weren't going to use the treatments George provided them.

Definitely.
But the moment they announced JJ Abrams was in charge of the first movie you knew they wouldn't do that. Dude is creatively bankrupt.

PaNaMa

Banned
The new starwars simply doesn't have a soul. The characters stink, and after 2 colossaly shitty movies (1st being an hommage at best, with gusts to outright copy of ANH) the expectations for the second were sky(walker) high, and we got a steaming pile of shit that left everyone either furious or (worse) just completely apathetic to whatever the fuck happens next. What happens next was a movie focused on fan service and getting the lowest hanging fruit called nostalgia.. but no one even cared anymore. The movies had no emotional impact, did nothing to grow the starwars universe, or to spur on our investment in it. There was no wonder to them, no sense of real adventure.

The Mandalorian comes out and it's exactly what everyone wanted, nails the feel of the universe, places characters and pacing above wokeness or present day social trends .. it wasn't perfect by any means and unabashedly went for our hearts (and yes nostalgia) with the child, but it was better than anything that came out of that new trilogy. People cannot wait for the next season of Mandalorian, and no one gives a single fuck if they ever see Finn, Rey, Poo or any of those assholes ever again.

So I'm all for Disney burying that movie trilogy like Lucas buried the fucking christmas special. Rogue 1 was the only decent flick since the original trilogy. BURY IT DISNEY

Pagusas

Elden Member
This is all hopefully true..yes while sadly it wastes the opportunity of the original cast well never get again....the sequel trilogy did that anyway.

Ive heard rumours of this floating around even before Doomcock mentioned it. Apparently Kennedy got a talking to about her financial failures of her wokeverse.

Those people doubting it , do you really think Disney would waste an opportunity to double their money by basically remaking things

Latest rumour is that they may not be complete remakes but the existing movies will be re-edited and LOTS of new scenes will be shot to the degree that they will basically be new movies.

The last part is literally impossible. There is nothing they can do about the main framework of those movies, new scenes wont do a damn thing. Literally the premise of the movies is what is wrong with them.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't think it will happen, the movies still made truckloads and continue to push merch, but rumors such as these swirl only because TLJ was so awful. It upended the sequel series and made them take drastic, almost absurd course correction with RoS.

If it does happen, I hope it's Mark Hamill's proper Luke Skywalker narrating why those last three movies were bullshit (in so many words).

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Meh, rumours like this are easy to start because you're telling people what they want to hear.

Don't believe it for a second.

TTOOLL

With all the negative comments I could only handle 15 minutes of the Last Jedi before I turned it off and never looked back. The franchise is currently dead for me, I have zero interest in anything related to it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Favreau thing is kinda weird unless he suddenly has 1000x more pull with Disney considering Kathleen Kennedy is still president of Lucasfilm and he seems to be more of a gun for hire that worked on Mandalorian. I doubt he has the power to retcon anything on that level.

Disney itself absolutely could though. I thought there was more smoke to a potential big shakeup when Kevin Feige's name kept getting thrown around in relation to Star Wars projects.

The only reason they would want to retcon anything from the ST would be to bring back more Skywalkers and I'm honestly really okay with moving on from that family.

shoplifter

"rumor comes from the "future ruler of Earth," the Doomcock overlord"

:pie_thinking:

He has sources at Viacom/CBS and Lucas.

Never mock him or Harvey Cthulhu will finally be released on the world.

btR6XpK.jpg

Last edited:

sol_bad

Financial failures? Only one film failed financially.......

Top Bottom