• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: EA could be bringing their games back to Steam.

prag16

Banned
Get over yourself, jesus. Valve/Steam does not have a monopoly at all. God forbid people don't want 50 fucking launchers on their computer that eat away at performance and HDD. This does not make someone elitist. Again, please get over yourself.
We have people refusing to play games because of a damn launcher app, and I'M the one that needs to get over myself? DerFuggler DerFuggler et al are REALLY showing EA who is boss by foregoing games they otherwise would want to play because GOD FORBID they allocate 0.02% of their SSD space to a client. "Eat away at performance and HDD" lmao get outta here. You people have lost your damn minds.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

We have people refusing to play games because of a damn launcher app, and I'M the one that needs to get over myself? DerFuggler DerFuggler et al are REALLY showing EA who is boss by foregoing games they otherwise would want to play because GOD FORBID they allocate 0.02% of their SSD space to a client. "Eat away at performance and HDD" lmao get outta here. You people have lost your damn minds.
Y'know, the argument could be made that the proliferation of all these chromium or electron based launchers is a bad thing. As attractive as it is to tempt devs with "hey you can use your existing web store stack to build an app super fast", these web browser based frameworks by and large are not well designed for this. Constant background CPU time for no sane reason, though I assume it is connection upkeep and GC, lower overhead tech still exists. I'm just sitting on the library page, uPlay, why are you fucking about and using significant CPU time? Discord, you're not even visible or doing anything, keep it down, eh? Origin, the launcher related to this topic, thankfully, is relatively well behaved.
Sorry, a bit of a rant there.

For PC gamers, a group that will split hairs over small percentage differences in CPU brands, how is this different? Bloat is bloat, less is more - it all adds up and will impact your gameplay in CPU limited situations. I haven't even mentioned RAM requirements. Never just about a singular issue, performance in this case, either.

I have other launchers than just Steam. I'm drowning in good games to play, for me it really isn't any skin off my nose to skip some or wait.
These wide sweeping statements are just so weak.

Gamezone

Gold Member

I own so many games. I might as well play them on my preferred launcher with actual features to make them enjoyable. I usually ignore Origin because it's not equal to my Steam's friends list. Controller support on Origin using Steam Link is also a hassle.

Gamezone

Gold Member
ubisoft stops releasing games on steam and now ea (maybe) wants in on the steam action again, interesting. i wonder if vivendi still wanted to hostile takeover them would they still feel confident enough to not release their games on steam or not.

They still release games on Steam, but Epic pays them to not release certain games there, and it's probably a one year exclusivity deal anyway.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I see two possibilities.
1. They release some or all games on Steam which still require Origin installed, hoping to get more users to install their client and hopefully interact with their ecosystem directly. The Uplay bitch option.
2. EA figures Origin is more trouble than it's worth, so they're closing up shop and have users migrate accounts to Steam.

Second option is freaking unlikely. Running a store costs peanuts and they already have the infrastructure in place.
If it happens, I'll get two more games in my Steam library, you know which ones.

Probably all games. The best indicator that no one seems to talk about is that EA released their games on Humble Bundle this month. Games like Jedi Fallen Orders are there, along with older titles. Isn't EA giving up 30% there as well?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So if by going back to Steam they won't do these things also ....

1) Regional pricing
2) Region free games
3) Multi-language (audio, text) support anywere and in every region / country
4) Free from Origin and no Origin integration with Steam

.... then all of this "EA is coming back to Steam" will be nothing more than a fart in the wind.

I wan't to fucking play the games I've bought on English, not on goddamn Russian and I don't want to fucking pirate games I alredy bought just to get english files and then find out that some games not even working or launching.

FUCK REGION LOCKING!

Last edited:

Bl@de

Since GOG Galaxy 2.0 I don't even care anymore. Even in the current BETA it is my preferred launcher and makes everything easier :/ And it is still lacking a lot of features.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Since GOG Galaxy 2.0 I don't even care anymore. Even in the current BETA it is my preferred launcher and makes everything easier :/ And it is still lacking a lot of features.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 is still very lackluster and boring compared to the features Steam has to offer.

FranXico

GOG Galaxy 2.0 is still very lackluster and boring compared to the features Steam has to offer.
It might be limited, but its best feature is that it's optional. GOG lets us install and launch games without even needing a launcher. Can you do the same with Steam games?

Top Bottom