• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Gears 6 likely to be open world?

“I had heard A.that it is a little bit further along than some might think. That’s not a big deal is it?… I also heard there’s a strong possibility that it may be full, like a full open-world, almost open-world game, Gears 6”

I do not know how reliable this source and rumor is, but I have a feeling that it will be open world unfortunately. What concerns me as well is Gears 5 actually did have an open world portion, so this sounds plausible since they experienced with it already.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Star Wars No GIF

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The series does need to evolve but I feel like this isn’t the way to do it.

The multiplayer is what could use the biggest injection. Gears MP dies quickly after launch except the hardcore base that knows how to play fast with Gnasher.

Give me a gears 1 remake/reboot in unreal 5 instead.

Gears games have been dogshit recently so why not fiddle with the formula.
I don't think they've been dog-shit by any stretch. Inoffensive offerings, but nothing near as exciting as those first 2 games and even the 3rd game felt more interesting and unique.

Gears4 and 5 have been perfectly fine games to play co-op with a buddy, I certainly enjoyed my time with it playing with my Pops, but, I've not really had the urge to jump in and play again of my own accord. The formula from 4 and 5 just becomes a bit boring after a few hours into each and that pacing doesn't feel like it changes other than a few brief, unique moments in each game.

I hope they have a good idea and clear direction for 6. The tech looks great and runs very well, I'd just like to see them do more interesting things like they had in the first few games.

Power Pro

Not really surprising, didn't Gears 5 have a sort of open world aspect to it? It was still basically level based, but you still navigated a big open area to reach new levels. Already seems like they were inching in that direction, even though I agree with some people that not every friggin' game needs to be open world.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I enjoyed the red sand from the last game, but everything else felt like a step back. The boss fights and the actual plot sucked. It has to be a clone of the first 3 games or it’s just woke crap if you ask me. Gears 4 and 5 are not even memories in my mind. Gears 1-3, sure, those are great games. It’s like Halo or any game that already told its story already.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Specially not fucking Gears of War, this is the epitome of Dude Bro cover shooters and I love it for that.

I don't want to play as Kait in a horizon zero dawn lite.
Gears War is the last game that need to be open world. Suddenly turning series to open world doesn't make it automatically better, in fact sometimes it can make it worse.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
spanky the little rascals GIF

Honestly all they need to fucking do is copy what made the first game great but with dazzling UE5 powered graphics.
Part of the spectacle of the first Gears was the mindblowing visuals. Obviously the gunplay and "weight" of the kills etc was awesome too.

Hell, just remake the first game with fucking bonkers graphics and people would be totally happy.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

spanky the little rascals GIF

Honestly all they need to fucking do is copy what made the first game great but with dazzling UE5 powered graphics.
Part of the spectacle of the first Gears was the mindblowing visuals. Obviously the gunplay and "weight" of the kills etc was awesome too.

Hell, just remake the first game with fucking bonkers graphics and people would be totally happy.
Remake the whole trilogy in UE5

I don't know. Their controls feel bad enough in corridors, I couldn't imagine how it would feel attempting to navigate an open world.
Gears 5 had open ‘zones’, sort of like FFXVI.

It wasn’t bad to navigate around in, but the real issue was that there wasn’t much in the world to justify it being so open, since there wasn’t much to find nor see other than a few modified weapons and upgrade chips. It was just large and grand for the art and not much else.

If this news is true hopefully they do a better job than Halo Infinite. I liked the single player for that game and the side stuff/hunts, but the boss fights were all horrible arena battles.

Last edited:

Ywap

Maybe it could be like in The Division where you have open world but missions you can replay in different difficulty levels after you've done with the story?

Maybe it could be like in The Division where you have open world but missions you can replay in different difficulty levels after you've done with the story?
That’s…kind of close to what Gears 5 was, aside from the replayable aspect.

Zuzu

Then they'll need to change the movement mechanics of the game. Crouch running around an open world is going to get very tiresome.

Sleepwalker

Like others have mentioned, they had wide linear areas in the past games which weren't great. The bigger sins of the Coalition games were having robot enemies which largely took away the satisfying feeling of chain sawing through sacks of meat and popping enemy heads with well placed shots.
Here we have these incredible enemies that are threathening, gory and provide identity to the series, how about we replace them with sterile robots? Sometimes I feel devs self sabotage their games on purpose.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I wonder who it is that wants open world games.

I can understand wanting to convey scale and a sense of place, which is obviously better done in an open world setting, but in a cover shooter? Will this mean that you'll cross a great plain in what will feel like "walking mode" and happen upon an outpost of enemies, pacing in circles waiting for you to arrive and be surprised when you start shooting? At that point you'll go into "combat mode" and suddenly find lots of little walls around the place?

I actually think that the last couple of games have been good, and I don't think they can just keep releasing reskins of the first games (I don't want the same thing over and over at least) so I'll be interested to see what they do.

Shubh_C63

Open world would suck. Mechanics are right there and still fun. I really don't understand how can they not make a fun campaign with so much time, money and talent behind you.
Try explaining random debris for cover everywhere. Gear games needs isolation and dark setting, and because people react to cheery colors more its gonna double down on flashy particle effects with rainbow splash.

Gears 5 open world was shit. Hope this isn’t true.
If I remember it was only for a short while. The Ice skiff(?) section.

Not really surprising considering that Gears 5 had some open-world aspects to it. To be quite frank, the franchise needs a shake up for the formula, I believe open world could work. However, they also need to have a good combination of linearity as well. It's really all about how they utilize the open world/linear aspects together. If it's open world something like Assassin's Creed then it won't work. It needs to be carefully crafted. Think Elden Ring, but maybe a bit more closed off, where it's just enough exploration where the sense of scale feels good but not too much where it just feels way to open and bland. I believe it's a balancing act.

Excited too see where it goes, I am a big Gears fan since the 360 days.

skneogaf

Like others have mentioned, they had wide linear areas in the past games which weren't great. The bigger sins of the Coalition games were having robot enemies which largely took away the satisfying feeling of chain sawing through sacks of meat and popping enemy heads with well placed shots.

"Meat bag" not sacks of meat

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Why do these halo & gears sequels have absolutely no vision and long term goal besides chasing a trend from 3 years ago.

I’m very quickly learning how few people here actually played Gears 5 or even saw footage of it.

All of the stuff everyone’s saying would be awkward to do in a Gears game with an open environment, was already solved in that game. It’s main issue was having a boring open area to explore, full of barely anything to discover.

Ywap

That’s…kind of close to what Gears 5 was, aside from the replayable aspect.
Yeah, kind of... But the open sections were more kind of like empty transport. I liked the game but personally i wouldn't mind going open world with places to enter with horror elements. Open world could have random encounters, collectibles and secret upgrades.

And movement would need to be improved alot imo.

I liked the game but personally i wouldn't mind going open world with places to enter with horror elements. Open world could have random encounters, collectibles and secret upgrades.

And movement would need to be improved alot imo.
Agreed with all of the above.

I feel that they just need to wrap up the trilogy’s storyline with all of these characters and close the book on Gears, to move on to a new I.P. that people won’t complain isn’t like the same game from almost 20 years ago.

I think Coalition clearly has talent and Gears 4 and 5 have fun elements to them with a ton of polish, but being stuck to work on a franchise with fans who are never satisfied has to suck.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Given that they already tried to do that in Gears 5 but stumbled on UE4 limitations (which was not designed and built to make open world games), it's only natural for them to go full on with this edea bc UE5 was built for open world games in mind.

The issue here is that will they'll be able to fill the world with interesting content instead of offering huge and empty wasteland with nothing interesting to do. And I don't mean going for what Ubisoft is doing and did, cuz that's a completely wrong way of doing it.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Don’t care about the SP honestly, imo they should remove it entirely and focus their resources on the MP.

Gears 5 MP was just too good, the only game I prestige’d in the last ten years. Years of fun and I miss it.

Roufianos

From the same cock rash who said that a Gears collection was releasing last year. Can we stop paying attention this this idiot.

Tiamat2san

I hope it’s not true, it was the part i liked the less in 5.
I’ll play whatever they give me though.
I need to see the end of the story.
I still wonder how they will tackle the stupid choice they made us do near the end of 5.
Del or J.D?

I hope Horde mode will start as great as it was in the last seasons and that Beast mode will make a comeback.

Last edited:
Top Bottom