• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Gears 6 likely to be open world?

Shubh_C63

It will be open world with open ended story so they can fill those areas later with seasonal updates or expansions, making you come back week after week.
It's gonna happen.

TonyK

I also heard thereā€™s a strong possibility that it may be full, like a full open-world, almost open-world game, Gears 6ā€
What is a full almost open world game? That is the Schrƶdinger of the open worlds.

Pantz

Open world can be cool if done well. It's just that it's usually not done well.
Just one example of The Saboteur was a cool open world shooter.
Hope for the best.

Gears needs an overhaul, Gears 5 was by far the worst in the series IMO. I'd love something bigger in scale, get away from the whack-a-mole gameplay loop and give us a full war. I'd like them to reboot back to the wars that were going on before Emergence day and then go on from there. The barista in battle armor sucked as the new lead character IMO and she doesn't feel any different to play than any of the men, she's not fast or have any other kind of move. She's a different skin on the same set of moves that we've had for two console generations now.

Yes let the Coalition make their own version of Gears not a copy of the originals. Revamp everything, controls, enemies etc. Open world 4 player co-op oh yeah, Coalition are tech wizards and with Unreal 5 this could be an exceptional looking game.

xrnzaaas

This is an awful idea. I recently finished Gears 5 campaign and the open areas completely ruined the pacing. I liked when Gears campaign was tense and action packed from start to finish, even if it was shorter because of the linearity.

Gears 3 was peak gears . 4 was an attempt to recreate 1 and 5 was trash chasing open world trends.

Also not sure why they rebranded it from gears of war to gears. Gears as name sucks.

It looks like the new space marine with coop will capture that gears 3 magic.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well, they officially ran out of ideas.

Not that they had any decent ideas with the last two games but going open world has to be one of the most cliched and boring ways that you could "evolve" a franchise that was previously known for its linear campaign structure.

Just stop making every goddamned game open world. Nobody who's even remotely interested in this series wants this.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If this bring a complete overhaul like it happened with gow, i'm ok with it.

If it is just old gears open world they can fuck off.

Last edited:
This is an awful idea. I recently finished Gears 5 campaign and the open areas completely ruined the pacing. I liked when Gears campaign was tense and action packed from start to finish, even if it was shorter because of the linearity.
Are you expecting a game designed around an open world concept to be just like the sections in Gears 5? Those were just used as a way to get from one location to another using the glider thing. Obviously if they've set out to make an open world from the beginning it's going to be a world of difference, like actually having things to do.

If they actually adapt the controls and revamp the gameplay (nor just a cover shooter) then it can work. Microsoft are really starting to let they're Studios spread there wings now. The last showcase showed some really impressive stuff, look at the new Inxile game, a small team producing that is crazy.

Last edited:
Wasnt Gears 5 semi-open-world, at least that snow and desert level? I hated it, just pointlessly driving around to be able to finally get off somewhere.
The issue with that was there was nothing in that "open world" it was just a place for them to talk between levels. If they are going open world they need to change the formula completely and make it more of an action game and less of a cover shooter gameplay loop.

Orbital2060

Open world with some of the awesome vehicles they got from earlier games. Bikes or some crazy ass tank you can drive around in. Wouldnt have to be roadie runninh all over the place. I dont know. Im psyched for more Gears, though. Hivebusters was really good. But very linear Gears 2-style.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They should make Gears 6 linear, so it sells 7 million copies. Then we can hear the same people complain about why the Gears franchise went into hibernation 10 years from now.

Open world direction is common sense.

Montauk

Wasnt Gears 5 semi-open-world, at least that snow and desert level? I hated it, just pointlessly driving around to be able to finally get off somewhere.

This is the case for most open worlds. Wasting time between the core gameplay you actually came for.

But a lot of gamers love having their time wasted and looking at assets. Also pretending they feel ā€˜immersedā€™.

Montauk

They should make Gears 6 linear, so it sells 7 million copies. Then we can hear the same people complain about why the Gears franchise went into hibernation 10 years from now.

Open world direction is common sense.

What gameplay purpose would it serve? What part of the core GOW gameplay loop would it improve?

StueyDuck

i'll stick to my guns and wish that Gears went full Resi Survival horror and ditched the current story line.

openworld sounds terrible but it's also from random person #4345 on the internet so i doubt there's any weight behind it, but i do see those wide linear sections from 5 (which were bland) making a comeback

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What gameplay purpose would it serve? What part of the core GOW gameplay loop would it improve?

It would give players more meaningful, interesting, and fun choices to make during gameplay. The public overwhelmingly prefers open world game design.

Linear is dying for a reason.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I haven't played a GoW game since the 1st one. Never tried any of the others so I don't know where it's at. I guess I'm open to whatever they want to try. The series needs something. I would guess this is similar to the wide linear levels in Uncharted 4 or something where you use vehicles, but who knows.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
UE5 is made for openworld so no surprise. It could be good but Im not bothered with the new trilogy. Fuck that bitch.

It would get rid of it which is what's holding it back now. They talked about making a big change for the last game, all they did was make the character we control female and added a sled lol. They need something that makes it more like an actual war, big open battles with vehicles etc imo. I mean something large in scale too not a couple of tanks that just show up over and over again. If it were up to me they'd let the IP rest a while and maybe do a Gears RTS along the lines of Halo Wars and then bring the mainline series back two years later with a new crew and story and a lot more variety in the gameplay. I loved the first 3 games, after those though it's just gone downhill.

Montauk

It would give players more meaningful, interesting, and fun choices to make during gameplay. The public overwhelmingly prefers open world game design.

Linear is dying for a reason.

This is not a description of open world games that I recognise, suffice to say.

This sounds like something somebody hyping open worlds would have written like 20 years ago, before we had a glut of them and saw how empty those fantasies were.

King Dazzar

I love open world games. But I just don't think it fits the Gears gameplay. It relies on set piece focused & cover structured environments for the gameplay to work. This is why in 5 all the open world parts were just a shallow travel section to the next pre-arranged, structured engagement.

I think it would be good to have some kind of design where by you choose what order to do things in. With some deeper RPG elements.

Montauk

It would get rid of it which is what's holding it back now. They talked about making a big change for the last game, all they did was make the character we control female and added a sled lol. They need something that makes it more like an actual war, big open battles with vehicles etc imo. I mean something large in scale too not a couple of tanks that just show up over and over again. If it were up to me they'd let the IP rest a while and maybe do a Gears RTS along the lines of Halo Wars and then bring the mainline series back two years later with a new crew and story and a lot more variety in the gameplay. I loved the first 3 games, after those though it's just gone downhill.

ā€œIt wouldnā€™t serve the core gameplayā€

Thanks.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is not a description of open world games that I recognise, suffice to say.

This sounds like something somebody hyping open worlds would have written like 20 years ago, before we had a glut of them and saw how empty those fantasies were.

The market doesn't lie. Linear is struggling for a reason.

Sybrix

Unless they change the movement mechanics in the game (which i really hope they do not) then how could Gears work in an open world environment?

I guess that an open world that acts as a hub for the game sections do work with Gears. I just wish that they include more things going on in it. Gear has such a cool background story and they do very little to expand it.

xrnzaaas

Are you expecting a game designed around an open world concept to be just like the sections in Gears 5? Those were just used as a way to get from one location to another using the glider thing. Obviously if they've set out to make an open world from the beginning it's going to be a world of difference, like actually having things to do.

If they actually adapt the controls and revamp the gameplay (nor just a cover shooter) then it can work. Microsoft are really starting to let they're Studios spread there wings now. The last showcase showed some really impressive stuff, look at the new Inxile game, a small team producing that is crazy.
That's actually a big problem. We're talking about a series that basically created and popularized cover shooters subgenre and now the mechanic would have to be marginalized to make room for openworld gameplay.

Riky

$MSFT
UE5 features probably free up a lot of time to move the game to a bigger scale, which is welcome and could be immense in multiplayer.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Going after the open-world shit already fucked the latest Halo. Please, for god's sake, just make good-ass levels. No need for an open-world.
I actually think Halo's campaign works pretty well. It does it better than the Ubisoft games I've played do (faint praise), but fundamentally open world is, until someone does it better, going to end up with lots of mini objectives dotted around a map, and that's the bit I don't really get.

When you get to the mission areas and you end up being funnelled through an area or working through the floors of a building then the open world part doesn't matter anymore, and those are the best bits. There are some areas that play exactly like the larger areas that Halo is synonymous with too, but while the world is just the other side of the wall, why does this matter?

I think the Coalition have fairly consistently displayed passion for and understanding of their franchise so I wouldn't rush to condemn this immediately (not least because it's a rumour!) And the idea of an open world where fresh emergence holes appear and where tunnels can take you away from the overworld or you can be called in by the COG to drill down means plenty of scope for self contained areas.

But as with Gears 5, if it's just a action scenes separated by piloting a skiff across a frozen lake, then I'm not sure if that's just adding something that isn't really adding much to the gameplay that people actually want.

There's of course the chance that they do something like Botw/TOTK did, which I know some people here really dislike, where being in the world is part of the experience, but I think that's one of the few games that really 100% benefits from an open world. I can't see the Fenix family stopping to chat about a sign that won't stay up either.

Last edited:

Montauk

Ugh, nothing says "out of ideas" quite like inserting the strained open-world formula into a fucking corridor shooter.

Yeah I often see a move to an open world in a series as the opposite of what it is presented as by the developers and then later gamers.

Which is to say it is presented as clearly and undeniably an improvement or an ā€œevolutionā€ (hate modern common usage of that word) of the series.

Often I see it as the developers declaring that theyā€™re all out of ideas on how to improve the gameplay but that theyā€™re aware that pushing into a grossly oversized world will garner a lot of attention and focus on, well, a big map with lots of assets.

They know that making it look very different and play different will grab enough attention to disguise that itā€™s not actually better to play or perhaps actually worse to play.

On the last point, it will certainly waste more of your time with low-gameplay, low-interaction travelling throughout the game world. Youā€™ll spent more time kept away from the gameplay that you actually want, purely because you need to run or drive around looking for it.

This is, uh, progress. Evolution.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They know that making it look very different and play different will grab enough attention to disguise that itā€™s not actually better to play or perhaps actually worse to play.

On the last point, it will certainly waste more of your time with low-gameplay, low-interaction travelling throughout the game world. Youā€™ll spent more time kept away from the gameplay that you actually want, purely because you need to run or drive around looking for it.
Salient points, I often wonder why people talk about map size as if it's an accolade. I don't really care about how long it'll take me to walk across it from point of interest to point of interest.

Top Bottom