• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Gears 6 likely to be open world?

Dcr1d3r

Not sure this is the right path to take guys....just bring back the essence of what made Gears 1+2 so much fun to play! Or do they need Cliify B back?

Darsxx82

That would be the worst possible decision for Gears.

In fact the open zones in Gears 5 are the worst part in interest of the story, in Gameplay and also in the visual. I will be very skeptical if the info is confirmed...

KXVXII9X

Sigh...

I was just looking at earlier Gears of War gameplay videos and loved the tight linear approach. Almost every moment felt intense and full of atmosphere. Going open world will just turn it into another bland environment with things to do spaced out. Story beats will be stretched out which will ruin pacing, and each combat encounter will probably be bullet sponge-y with added RPG mechanics and crafting. I HATED Halo Infinite's open world. I never played something so dull.

Gaming has always been about chasing trends
True, but I think it’s worst than ever now especially with the lack of creativity and risk taking from many companies. Seems like trend chasing now is generally detrimental to the product and consumers rather than being beneficial imo.

Last edited:
Halo campaigns from the good ones are more than pretty good tho...
Here’s where I would rank Infinite’s campaign:

1) Halo 1
2) Halo Reach
3) Halo ODST
4) Halo 3
5) Halo Infinite
6) Halo 2
7) Halo 4
8) Halo 5

If Halo Infinite had better boss fights I would probably move it up 1 or 2 spots. That’s why I can only say it’s pretty good, because they came really close to a campaign that could rival my top 3.

Clearly im in the minority here but I think open world would be a nice refresh and new direction. Id love to start the game as a nobody, find and craft loot and gear, explore and fight with the GoW cover based system. Add RPG elements. Yea Id do that.

danklord

Gold Member
They were flirting with this in Gears 5 with the big areas and open exploration. They'll probably need to overhaul the movement system to make it shine, but it isn't like this is a new thing for the franchise.

MagnesD3

Here’s where I would rank Infinite’s campaign:

1) Halo 1
2) Halo Reach
3) Halo ODST
4) Halo 3
5) Halo Infinite
6) Halo 2
7) Halo 4
8) Halo 5

If Halo Infinite had better boss fights I would probably move it up 1 or 2 spots. That’s why I can only say it’s pretty good, because they came really close to a campaign that could rival my top 3.

1. Halo CE
2. Halo 4
3. Halo 3
4. Halo 2
5. Halo Reach
6. Halo Infinite (The grapple is fun)
7. Halo ODST
8. Halo 5

At least we agree Halo 1s campaign is great

Last edited:

Camreezie

Fuck this shitty open world everything trend

Ben Affleck Reaction GIF

1. Halo CE
2. Halo 4
3. Halo 3
4. Halo 2
5. Halo Reach
6. Halo Infinite (The grapple is fun)
7. Halo ODST
8. Halo 5

At least we agree Halo 1s campaign is great
I think your list is good, but I'll never understand why some people put 2's campaign so high. The multiplayer is what makes that game a 10/10 experience. The campaign literally did the worst thing a campaign could ever do, which is end right when things started to pick up/get good. It's the same reason why I didn't like Gears 4 as much because that game did the exact same thing. It's like that feeling when watching a movie and you can tell the exact moment when the budget ran out. I feel that way with most games that makes you jump out of your seat and say 'wait, that's it!?'

I would rank Halo 2's campaign lower, but what saves it are higher highs/memorable moments that Halo 4 and 5 just weren't giving as much of.

dont! whatever semi-open world shit they tried with gears5 was the worst part of that game
That wasn't a semi open world that was just a wide road to get from one place to another while the characters gave us exposition. It was poorly done, a game designed around bigger spaces with bigger battles would be a lot more fun than what gears is now. The gameplay is dated and the story having such a small focus is just boring.

damidu

That wasn't a semi open world that was just a wide road to get from one place to another while the characters gave us exposition. It was poorly done, a game designed around bigger spaces with bigger battles would be a lot more fun than what gears is now. The gameplay is dated and the story having such a small focus is just boring.
yeah the series need a good kick in the butt, from gameplay to story its way too archaic. cant even remember who is who from the new cast.
only thing going for it was coalition graphics/performance wizardry

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well the open world sled area was the worst part of 5. GOW should be MS's big interactive movie cutscene filled series. not open world.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I think your list is good, but I'll never understand why some people put 2's campaign so high. The multiplayer is what makes that game a 10/10 experience. The campaign literally did the worst thing a campaign could ever do, which is end right when things started to pick up/get good. It's the same reason why I didn't like Gears 4 as much because that game did the exact same thing. It's like that feeling when watching a movie and you can tell the exact moment when the budget ran out. I feel that way with most games that makes you jump out of your seat and say 'wait, that's it!?'

I would rank Halo 2's campaign lower, but what saves it are higher highs/memorable moments that Halo 4 and 5 just weren't giving as much of.
What makes Halo 2s campaign so awesome is the story/lore stuff is probably some of the best of there series and its awesome going between the chief and arbiter, live the first time you take get on a scarab and all of the sgt johsson stuff. It may be the shortest and the cluffhanger sucks but its a blast.

What is Gears again? I mean, when was the last Gears relevant to the general public? Wasn't it on the 360 like 15 years ago? Does ii mean sometihing in today's gaming space?

Last edited:
Top Bottom