• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Half Life 3 still not in full development

SparkTR

Wouldn't this earn them just as much bad will when people here they stopped developing their most popular title in favor of more F2P games and shitty Steam releases? I mean look at Konami, or hell, look at Capcom and Square a few years back. Companies that did the same thing and financially faltered as a result.

The games they develop now are extremely well made and their customers love them. At this point people will be more annoyed if they forego their CS:GO and Dota 2 updates to focus on HL3.

To put it into perspective CS:GO has more concurrent players than BF4/BF:HL has on all platform combined. And Dota 2 is at least twice as popular than that.

Honestly at this point, I would rather Valve put out "The Making of Half-Life 3" instead of the actual game.

Seriously. I would pay $60 for the story of Episode 3 and HL3. I'm not even joking. As long as it included lots of unseen screens and some honest fucking talk about what has been going on with it up to this point, 60 dollars day one.

.la1n

Just finish the story. I am sure they want to come up with something innovative along the lines of the gravity gun but seriously fans would be happy just seeing the story through.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't half the point of being a private company that they can do these vanity projects without having to worry about shareholder backlash?

They're just worried about public backlash. Strange considering they didn't seem to mind the first few days of that Diretide thing.

I'm also thinking of how gamer culture has changed. Because people have become more aware of game development, that makes them shitheads? Really?

What is with this weird sentiment that the game would have insane hype

Where is the logic to that

It isn't even being worked on, it's not like its a magnum opus that's been in dev for 11 years straight on a single build

Dennis

Banned
5. mass effect 3 backlash influenced them. devs saw how passionate fans turned on the game and didnt want that to happen to the company's banner franchise

6. game culture has changed since 2004 ("sadly, most people are shitheads" - anonymous source at valve)

If this is real I can't facepalm hard enough.

Fucking F2P hat bullshit.

I replayed HL2+Episodes, and Portal 1 & 2 (SP+Co op) this summer, and fuck, man, I really miss the old Valve and their amazing campaigns.

Current Valve probably doesn't have it in them anymore, so whatever, I guess.

Everything in this rumour is something anyone here on GAF could've come up with. I'm sticking with what I said before: Half Life 3 will launch within 6 months of the Vive.

LOL. Not a chance. Seriously. Zero fucking chance.

I'd love for this post to be quoted in a crow eating thread, though.

iNvid02

Everything in this rumour is something anyone here on GAF could've come up with. I'm sticking with what I said before: Half Life 3 will launch within 6 months of the Vive.

I was gonna say how would they keep the most wanted piece of vapourware of all time safe from leaks, but after HL2 got stolen they are probably a bit more careful.

The Silent Hills rumor was so reliable..

Yea sure they leaked Dark Souls 3 but maybe that was a fluke.

yeah thats all i could remember off the top of my head but this was pointed out too

They are the ones with the Dark Souls 3 leak, Tomb Raider PS4/PC confirmation a month early, and revealed the Kinectless XB1 a year before MSFT announced it. We don't know Silent Hills isn't coming to the XB1 it just seems unlikely.

Personally I believe them based on their successful track record.

Nzyme32

Wouldn't this earn them just as much bad will when people here they stopped developing their most popular title in favor of more F2P games and shitty Steam releases? I mean look at Konami, or hell, look at Capcom and Square a few years back. Companies that did the same thing and financially faltered as a result.

The case for valve is utterly different. Plenty of people love their F2P titles as they are now, and it's earning them plenty. As for the future, I wouldn't bet on their next game being F2P. CSGO has the most growth and that is not F2P even after all these years.

They're just worried about public backlash. Strange considering they didn't seem to mind the first few days of that Diretide thing.

I'm also thinking of how gamer culture has changed. Because people have become more aware of game development, that makes them shitheads? Really?

No, it's because you can get twitter shitstorms and all the gaming press dropped on you after a lone marketing fuckup. Therefore, radio silence until you can carefully control your message.

As for the bolded, I'm pretty sure fucking up half life 3 would have worse consequences than angering dota fans for a few days

Tagyhag

Sounds about right and what I assumed, project is still underway with a skeleton crew but it's not cancelled like some people here think.

We will see a Half Life 3, when that is though, is another story.

Wasp

Apparently Valve employees are completely free to choose to work on whatever project they want, yet only 10 out of 350 employees want to work on Half-Life 3?

I know if I was hired by Valve I would be excited to help make HL3 and wouldn't choose to make Dota 2 updates instead.

gatti-man

My first instinct is they'd be stupid not to make it. It's probably the most anticipated piece of vapourware there is.

But then on reflection, is it even relevant? Valve's "banner franchise"?! I really would not be surprised to learn that Portal, CS and Left4Dead probably have more name recognition in today's gaming market right now.

I think the ship has sailed.

Yup I don't care anymore. However this to me speaks volumes about what valve thinks of its fans. So I don't really care to support valve at all anymore. Haven't purchased anything on steam in a long while. Don't think I will either unless forced to in the future.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Where's JaseC, I need someone to make me believe.

No, it's because you can get twitter shitstorms and all the gaming press dropped on you after a lone marketing fuckup. Therefore, radio silence until you can carefully control your message.

As for the bolded, I'm pretty sure fucking up half life 3 would have worse consequences than angering dota fans for a few days

Yeah, you're right.

Nzyme32

I'd bet that doesn't happen, simply because they are still struggling with the basics of VR development and haven't even had a competent system like Vive to build such a game in. I've said before that HL3 is years away and that is still true today.

That HL3 & Portal movie will probably be out before HL3, if that is even happening anymore

Luke_Wal

It's been called Stars of Blood and Stars of Barathrum. We only found out about it because the project was canceled and someone who worked on it was then allowed to show the concept art he did in his portfolio. There hasn't been any new activity that I'm aware of.

Oh, it was cancelled? Hadn't heard that part of the story. Interesting...

Mman235

What is with this weird sentiment that the game would have insane hype

Where is the logic to that

Because people were saying exactly this about the FF7 remake and Shenmue 3, which have been much more protracted, and in the latter case, niche. Then they actually happened and people completely lost their shit.

I mean it's hard to fully gauge things until those actually come out, but it shows that hype just lays dormant and doesn't die.

I don't know why they wouldn't do it for the fans at this point. It just seems like something that they should have done to bookend the franchise, but the fact that they have left it in such a state for so long leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I love Steam and have over 100 games purchased through it, so it's not like I am going to leave them if they don't make a sequel. I just question why they would leave one of the biggest franchises unfinished when I think they could do it with very little risk relative to what other publishers/developers would face when attempting to finish a franchise like Half-Life.

Yeah valve became a game developer I really don't care about after the direction they've been moving towards

On the business and community front though they are doing good things for Pc gaming

Peltz

+$700 million this year. They make consistent fat stacks of cash.

The Valve success story is so crazy to me. Back when HL2 came out, nobody saw that coming. So much has changed for them since then.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So... Ross is going to start Freeman's Mind 2 and finish it before we get HL3 then I take it.

I didn't think we'd get HL3 after he finished HL1. Now it seems like it won't happen before he finishes the remaining games.

I don't know why they wouldn't do it for the fans at this point. It just seems like something that they should have done to bookend the franchise, but the fact that they have left it in such a state for so long leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I love Steam and have over 100 games purchased through it, so it's not like I am going to leave them if they don't make a sequel. I just question why they would leave one of the biggest franchises unfinished when I think they could do it with very little risk relative to what other publishers/developers would face when attempting to finish a franchise like Half-Life.

At this point no matter what they make... It's gonna dissapoint people. So better to leave them hanging.

Anyways, wasn't this confirmed in an AMA sometime back?

At this point I just wish they hadn't ended Episode 2 with a cliffhanger.

Man, whatever. I'm not sure how much I would care about current-Valve making HL3, honestly.

That's what gets me. HL2 ending was open, but not in a cliffhanger way. The series could have stopped there leaving it to player imagination.

Episode 2 demands closure. It is insulting to the player to leave it as is. Just make a short Episode 3 and be done with it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The Diretide thing wasnt a few days. That shit built up for months and lasted for weeks since it wasnt just Diretide but the lack of updates and communication. Diretide was just a convient rallying point. The difference is Dota 2 is a released game thats constantly in progress while HL3 is this phantom.

120v

i think valve will eventually have a division that focuses on single player, mostly "AAA" games, and another HL will be part of that... not holding my breath though

At this point no matter what they make... It's gonna dissapoint people. So better to leave them hanging.

Anyways, wasn't this confirmed in an AMA sometime back?

To me it's not about disappointing people, it's about finishing what you started. They provided one of the most engaging first person shooters ever made, and followed that up with an equally amazing sequel. I would love to see what they could do with modern technology!

Top Bottom