• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor/Leaks] Bioshock 3 ("Parkside project") is the next Bioshock game. Announcement scheduled for this winter. (December 2019 and March 2020)

spartan30gr

No.

The user of this rumor seems to have had information via an internal 2K source.

XrRbT9h.gif

Thank god for that.

JimmyJones

Banned
Bioshock 2 wasn’t as good as Bioshock 1. So, I’m gonna be skeptical of all of this.

I never played Bioshock 2 until recently, but I agree. Everyone hypes it as the best in the series but I don't get why?

Two was the beginning of the shooting gallery crap that ruined Infinite.

Last edited:

The Shepard

I'd love a bioshock 3 and this to be true. I'd definitely do a run through of the other games if this is legit as I never played the dlc in the second one and brought the remaster some time ago but never got around to playing it all again.

D.Final

Banned
I'd love a bioshock 3 and this to be true. I'd definitely do a run through of the other games if this is legit as I never played the dlc in the second one and brought the remaster some time ago but never got around to playing it all again.

The story of the Bioshock 2 DLC, namely the story of Sigma, was really very nice for me.

If you like the game universe, and its themes, I recommend it.

Eiknarf

Bioshock 2 wasn’t as good as Bioshock 1. So, I’m gonna be skeptical of all of this.
I prefer Bioshock 1 and Infinite (3) to 2.

We’ve all been calling the existing titles “1, 2 and 3”, so I guess we better stop and call the third one “Infinite” and the fourth one “3”

#Phonepunk#

Banned
1) so how does one live "as an apartment thief". like what actually does that mean?

2) judging from this, it's incredibly vague, mostly referring to stuff from older games "but bigger" like that MGSV fake. London 1971 sounds cool but past that we have no descriptors for gameplay or levels. "combination of linear and open world" incredibly vague. "expanding the effects of plasmids" again, this is all "imagine the old games but better"

calling fake

D.Final

Banned
We’ve all been calling the existing titles “1, 2 and 3”, so I guess we better stop and call the third one “Infinite” and the fourth one “3”

I agree.

Infinite is a prequel, in the end.
So, when the future Bioshock 3 comes out, Bioshock Infinite will have to be called Bioshock 1 prequel by people, and not the third chapter.

Given that, at this point, the future chapter will be a follow-up to Bioshock 2.

D.Final

Banned
A simultaneous sequel to both 2 and Infinite. This could be good if true, but the GAAS already feels a bit off-putting. I want to like this though, so I think I'll just wait for both official confirmation and clarification on what this will actually mean to me as a gamer before I can make a decision.

Make me need this, 2K. The ball's in your court.

For me it would be fantastic to return to the Bioshock universe.
Exploring new scenarios, new stories, and maybe new secrets and insights into the stories of the characters we already know.
And how these have evolved, or changed, over time.
(as communicated by this Rumor on Bioshock 3)

For me it would be the best if everything was confirmed.
(also for the management of the game as a GAAS, but only if done at best)
And especially the exit of the new game on these generations and on the next generations of consoles.

I never played Bioshock 2 until recently, but I agree. Everyone hypes it as the best in the series but I don't get why?

Two was the beginning of the shooting gallery crap that ruined Infinite.

2 improved the gameplay of the original by allowing you to dual wield. It also had better level design. The original had superior atmosphere and better antagonists.

TastyPastry

it doesn't sound like you are going to return to rapture? the setting has always been the main draw to bioshock and the next game takes place in... london?

Helios

2 improved the gameplay of the original by allowing you to dual wield. It also had better level design. The original had superior atmosphere and better antagonists.
One antagonist was better. The other one was complete garbage.
Bioshock 1 is great the first playthrough but once you know the twist there's not much else to the game. Which is why 2 is superior.

D.Final

Banned
it doesn't sound like you are going to return to rapture? the setting has always been the main draw to bioshock and the next game takes place in... london?

I suppose it will mainly focus on the perspective of the world without Rapture.
(precisely because of the events of Bioshock 2)

In any case, I don't find London's choice very strange or unusual in the end.
It can be a very interesting idea that will probably be linked to one of the previous cities of the saga, such as Rapture and Columbia.

D.Final

Banned
Bioshock 2 is highly overrated, it's absurd to call it the best of the series.

For me it would be wiser to avoid the "terminology", the best of.
Because, like every game, everyone has their own preferences.
There are those who prefer one aspect over another.

For me all Bioshock games are beautiful, and my favorite is Bioshock 1.
However I do not necessarily consider it better than the others.
Because Bioshock 2 has gameplay (overall) better than Bioshock 1, while Bioshock Infinite has better graphics, and much larger and larger maps to explore.

That's why I like them all :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

D.Final

Banned
Bioshock 1 was decent and unique, Bioshock Infinite is a bad game, imo, it might have killed the series.

I think it's a little bit exaggerated to say that Bioshock Infinite killed the series.

Because for me, although I still preferred Bioshock 1 and 2 as a plot and setting, I also saw good qualities in Infinite in the end.

Zimmy68

I love Bioshock 2. It did take awhile to get into. I was like, I'm a Big Daddy and these peons are attacking me?
But it gets really deep with a high variety of powers and perks.
If all you did was the combat, you are missing out.
I loved throwing out multiple security bots, hypnotizing a Big Daddy or Brute and calling a Big Sister in.

Nothing against London but the setting sounds really tame and boring compared to Columbia and Rapture. Maybe something major happens that changes up everything?

D.Final

Banned
Nothing against London but the setting sounds really tame and boring compared to Columbia and Rapture. Maybe something major happens that changes up everything?

It is almost certain that, although the game has London as its main setting, something else that is very important will also happen.
Which will probably more closely reconnect the event pattern of that place, with something bigger about Rapture and Columbia.

D.Final

Banned
I love Bioshock 2. It did take awhile to get into. I was like, I'm a Big Daddy and these peons are attacking me?
But it gets really deep with a high variety of powers and perks.
If all you did was the combat, you are missing out.
I loved throwing out multiple security bots, hypnotizing a Big Daddy or Brute and calling a Big Sister in.

I also liked to hypnotize the Big Daddy.

And one of my favorite things was the charge move with the drill.

urmie

Maybe Eleanor becomes some leader in the UK or something to that effect. I'm on the fence on London though, We Happy Few already exists and is somewhat similar. Good to speculate though. Any Bioshock news is welcome.

"The Rapture dream is over, but in waking I am reborn. This world is not ready for me, yet here I am. It would be so easy to misjudge them. You are my conscience father, and I need you to guide me. You will always be with me now, father, your memories, your drives. And when I need you, you'll be there on my shoulder whispering. If Utopia is not a place, but a people, then we must choose carefully, for the world is about to change, and in our story, Rapture was just the beginning "

Last edited:

Vol5

If Ken Levine is not involved then I'll only have a passing interest. #gaming-snob

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Maybe Eleanor becomes some leader in the UK or something to that effect. I'm on the fence on London though, We Happy Few already exists and is somewhat similar. Good to speculate though. Any Bioshock news is welcome.

"The Rapture dream is over, but in waking I am reborn. This world is not ready for me, yet here I am. It would be so easy to misjudge them. You are my conscience father, and I need you to guide me. You will always be with me now, father, your memories, your drives. And when I need you, you'll be there on my shoulder whispering. If Utopia is not a place, but a people, then we must choose carefully, for the world is about to change, and in our story, Rapture was just the beginning "

This too could be something very interesting to see inside the game's plot.

With these premises, I think that there are excellent conditions for the creation of the new game in the series.

D.Final

Banned
So announcement at game awards I would guess. Michael Condrey comes out on stage.

I think it could be a good hypothesis indeed.

Or, alternatively, the Playstation Meeting 2020 which will be held on February 12th could also be a good place to present it, probably.

D.Final

Banned
If Ken Levine is not involved then I'll only have a passing interest. #gaming-snob

I think that in one way or another, it will contribute to the next chapter of one of his greatest works.
(also as a co-director, or as an external consultant for the team)

Nah. Who the fuck wants to play as a big daddy the entire game? Yawn.

Not only that but you never really felt like a Big Daddy since your movement speed was normal and you could sue Plasmids, so they couldn't even commit to the big central gimmick of the game.

Everything in the game felt like making a sequel for the sake of a sequel with no real inspiration, like what if this time, there were Big Sisters instead of just Big Daddies!? Or what if the villain espoused the polar opposite mindset of Ryan!? It all felt very hackneyed.

D.Final

Banned
Not only that but you never really felt like a Big Daddy since your movement speed was normal and you could sue Plasmids, so they couldn't even commit to the big central gimmick of the game.

Everything in the game felt like making a sequel for the sake of a sequel with no real inspiration, like what if this time, there were Big Sisters instead of just Big Daddies!? Or what if the villain espoused the polar opposite mindset of Ryan!? It all felt very hackneyed.

I think it was still an interesting evolution of the Bioshock 1 gameplay, the one made by Bioshock 2.
And I think it would be just as interesting to have a further evolution of this classic gameplay in the new Bioshock 3, but made even bigger and more varied than it was in the past with the previous chapters.
It would be very cool :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

D.Final

Banned
One antagonist was better. The other one was complete garbage.
Bioshock 1 is great the first playthrough but once you know the twist there's not much else to the game. Which is why 2 is superior.

The aspect that fascinated most in Bioshock 1 was certainly the Lore of the game world.
(in addition to the final blow of the boss)

And the gameplay was also very varied for the PS3 and Xbox 360 era, creating a very original and remarkably interesting FPS.

So both Bioshock 1, and Bioshock 2 (that was a sort of evolution of Bioshock 1), they're actually really great for me.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
1) so how does one live "as an apartment thief". like what actually does that mean?

I think it refers to a thief who steals, in general, from other people's homes.
It is not so super complicated to get there, if you think about it a little bit.

D.Final

Banned
I was thinking about the specific reference made by Eleanor to the clock tower, and how the protagonist should stay as far away as possible from it.

What could be connected to that place with the warning given by Eleanor to the protagonist?
A secret research room?
Or something more complex, like some connection with the Lutece twins?

I'm very curious :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

D.Final

Banned
I mean...I'd play it. Sounds kind of like Bioshock x Dishonored. But I'm not exactly thirsting for another Bioshock game, would rather something original.

I think a new Bioshock 3 could have the potential to be even more interesting than Bioshock Infinite.
(of course, provided that it is made with an enormous attention to detail)

Hostile_18

Banned
I can't wait. I hope they keep what's great about the franchise (mainly the story).

Got the plats for 1, 2 and working on Infinite.

SALMORE

Looking forward to it ! the original is in my favorite Top 10 games of all time ! i enjoyed the 2nd one too and i even finished the awesome multiplayer !

AndrewRyan

Infinite is a prequel, in the end.
So, when the future Bioshock 3 comes out, Bioshock Infinite will have to be called Bioshock 1 prequel by people, and not the third chapter.

How about Infinite is Bioshock 0.

Or maybe Bioshock 00 to represent its multiverse nature.

I played BioShock and its sequel but missed out on Infinite. I don't actually remember much about BioShock 2 but the original is definitely a classic. Nonetheless, I'm curious to see what BioShock 3 would be like. Maybe I'm alone here but I don't really understand why London is considered a boring setting for video games.

D.Final

Banned
I can't wait. I hope they keep what's great about the franchise (mainly the story).

Got the plats for 1, 2 and working on Infinite.

I too look forward to playing a new Bioshock 3.

The thought of closing this generation with the release of a new Bioshock excites me :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Hype

D.Final

Banned
Looking forward to it ! the original is in my favorite Top 10 games of all time ! i enjoyed the 2nd one too and i even finished the awesome multiplayer !

A Bioshock 3 with the enormous possibilities of this generation, and also of the next generation, with an evolution of the gameplay of Bioshock 2, and with a continuation of the plot and the lore of the first 2 Bioshock, would be truly exceptional.

Doom85

I don't want to read the details for a rumor in case it turns out to be false, don't want to get hyped for nothing, but please for the love of god make any inclusion of Rapture be brief like Infinite did. While 2 had very solid gameplay, I was bored with the environment and such because part of Rapture's charm in 1 was discovering a whole new world I'd never seen before. So just throwing me back in again in 2 was unappealing to me. Levine didn't work on 2 from what I understand and had said the series was always supposed to have a new setting for each game so I was happy he gave us that was Infinite. Hopefully a 4th Bioshock game respects his vision.

D.Final

Banned
I played BioShock and its sequel but missed out on Infinite. I don't actually remember much about BioShock 2 but the original is definitely a classic. Nonetheless, I'm curious to see what BioShock 3 would be like. Maybe I'm alone here but I don't really understand why London is considered a boring setting for video games.

I too am incredibly curious about the future Bioshock 3.
And I also like the London setting chosen for the game a lot.

D.Final

Banned
I don't want to read the details for a rumor in case it turns out to be false, don't want to get hyped for nothing, but please for the love of god make any inclusion of Rapture be brief like Infinite did. While 2 had very solid gameplay, I was bored with the environment and such because part of Rapture's charm in 1 was discovering a whole new world I'd never seen before. So just throwing me back in again in 2 was unappealing to me. Levine didn't work on 2 from what I understand and had said the series was always supposed to have a new setting for each game so I was happy he gave us that was Infinite. Hopefully a 4th Bioshock game respects his vision.

I think that with the next Bioshock 3 they will try to respect the overview of the Lore and the plot of the previous chapters, and at the same time trying to give new touches to the whole.
I presume.

Hoping that, in some form, Levine can contribute to expanding the universe he has created with since Bioshock 1.

Top Bottom