• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mahershala Ali to star in 'True Detective' season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

In stunning pre-holiday news, Oscar winner Mahershala Ali is nearing a deal to play the lead on the third season of HBO’s TRUE DETECTIVE, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

Sources caution that Ali’s deal hasn’t closed yet, but insiders are confident that it will. The third season of True Detective has not received a greenlight yet either, but given the fact that the show is one of the crown jewels in HBO’s programming lineup, insiders say it is definitely expected to return.

HBO has a tradition of casting big names in True Detective, including Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in Season 1, and Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch in Season 2. The show has never had an African-American lead before, and Ali is a rising star in Hollywood, so his casting is a smart move on the network’s part, as well as creator Nic Pizzolatto.

There are no plot details for the highly-anticipated third season, and as such, there’s no word on who Ali will be playing. The show marks his return to television following stellar turns on Netflix’s House of Cards and Luke Cage.

Ali won an Oscar for his soulful supporting performance in Moonlight, which also won Best Picture. Coming off a banner year that also included turns in Hidden Figures, Kicks and Free State of Jones, Ali recently wrapped Robert Rodriguez’s Alita: Battle Angel and he’ll soon be seen in the acclaimed Sundance film Roxanne Roxanne.

Meanwhile, Ali just signed on to lend his voice to Sony’s animated Spider-Man movie, and as previously reported, he’s also circling J.C. Chandor’s Triple Frontier at Netflix.

Altazor

I hope the scripts are better than the turgid, self-serving shit we got in S2. I mean, not even an actor like Mahershala could save stuff like "blue balls in the heart" and "shouldn't a reasonable man infer from Osip's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms, as being connected not just to Caspere, but prefiguring Caspere, in a causal sense?"

geestack

i am now a little bit more interested. pizzolatto needs a writer's room though, save some money for that HBO

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Hopefully this doesn't end up so bad it spawns Aliposting.

Well, the actors of last season weren't the problem, so as long as the writing and directing is good I'm all for it.

Good for him in getting another major role if true. Wonder if they'll go back to one director for the whole season?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wasn't there a rumor that David Milch was going to help Nic Pizzolatto with a potential third season of True Detective? I could be intrigued.

kevin1025

Banned
If there's a writer's room this go-around, hell yes. If there's not... he's in for a rough 8-10 episodes.

But I liked pieces of season two, and liked a lot of season one, and he's a fantastic actor, so I'll give it a watch!

Wasn't there a rumor that David Milch was going to help Nic Pizzolatto with a potential third season of True Detective? I could be intrigued.

He did indeed, though it's not certain what kind of role he's taken on. It's doubtful he'll be showrunner, since Pizzolatto will be, but if he helps craft the story, or helps with the writing, more than a consultant type deal, that could be real damn good.

I hope the scripts are better than the turgid, self-serving shit we got in S2. I mean, not even an actor like Mahershala could save stuff like "blue balls in the heart" and "shouldn't a reasonable man infer from Osip's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms, as being connected not just to Caspere, but prefiguring Caspere, in a causal sense?"
How did the writer not die from autoerotic asphyxiation after writing things like that?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Who gives a shit who stars in season 3? Who is writing, directing and producing it more like? Season 2 was loaded with tons of big name talent and went over like a wet fart.

Wow this dude is the new Denzel, huh?

No. Dude has never been a lead of major Hollywood feature film.

I hope he gets there though, because I know he desires to be a lead actor.

Idris Elba should've been the new Denzel, and this year finally seems to be Idris's year; i hope all goes well.

Altazor

How did the writer not die from autoerotic asphyxiation after writing things like that?

I guess he was feeling a little apoplectic himself.

Or maybe his compensatory projection of menace was a guarantor of its lack. And it said something about the depth of his misperceptions.

kurahador

fXJIQw9.gif

In for Cottonmouth.

Damn, I wanted to be the one who got to say "Everything is fucking" :(

Shouldn't a reasonable NeoGAF poster infer from brianmcdoogle's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms as being connected not just to Random Human, but prefiguring Random Human? In a causal sense.

Turin

Banned
After the disparity of the first two seasons, it feels like you're kind of rolling the dice on this one. I hope it works out for him.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Shouldn't a reasonable NeoGAF poster infer from brianmcdoogle's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms as being connected not just to Random Human, but prefiguring Random Human? In a causal sense.

hahaha

ezekial45

Banned
Where is Cary Joji Fukunaga?
He's back to making movies. Apparently he and Pizzalatto didn't get along too well during S1.

Anyway, Ali could be really fucking stellar in this. If Miltch is in fact involved, then I'm certain it will fair better than S2.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Gunna just not pay attention till I'm watching. You won't get me twice.

Season 2 was so bad it almost, and deservedly should have, killed the show

Ali would be a good first step forward to redemption, but if they fuck this up even a fraction as bad, just can the whole show. Bury it behind a shed no sunlight can reach

Apt101

I'd be surprised if this is the case. The creator / producers / whoever seem to be really fond of casting big names with big personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom