• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mahershala Ali to star in 'True Detective' season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
His writing in season 2 was like bootleg milch. So it's great that he got the real deal working with him now
Bootleg Milch lol. Particularly the quote above you. Feels like he wanted Vince to sound like Sweargen soooo bad but it just came off like wtf. Honestly you can just give me a Milch written neo noir detective show and I'd be more than happy

I felt bad for Vaughn in season 2 cause he was clearly trying and had some really good moments.

But not even Daniel Day Lewis could save that writing.

jett

D-Member
Too much hate on Pizzalato. Dude wrote an amazing S1 and suddenly it must have been a fluke.

Dude had less than a year to write 10 hours worth of TV for S2 by himself. Of course it came across as a messy, rushed pos. He wrote S1 over the course of EIGHT years.

Well he's not getting eight years here either.

S2 was just awful, in every way, with zero redeeming qualities. Pizzafraud deserves every bit of hate he gets. Unlike season 2, which I unfortunately watched to the end, I'll only be giving this season a single episode to see if it's garbage or not.

IMO True Detective should've remained a single-season show. S1's legacy is now tainted forever.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Too much hate on Pizzalato. Dude wrote an amazing S1 and suddenly it must have been a fluke.

I agree.

I'm also not a fan of people trying to make it seem like season 1 was that good just because of Cary. Pizzaman wrote the fuck out of those scripts.

Sojgat

Hopefully, it will actually be good this time.

A single director needs to do all the episodes like in the first season. Fukunaga's strong vision and the fantastic performances from the two leads are what elevated the show. I get the niggling feeling Pizzaman might be a hack fraud.

CoolOff

"shouldn't a reasonable man infer from Osip's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms, as being connected not just to Caspere, but prefiguring Caspere, in a causal sense?"

giphy.gif

Exodust

Banned
In when I find out the show isn't terrible this time around. After S2 I can't exactly trust Pizzaman to do well on his own.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, I'm going to wait for a consensus no matter what acting talent they get.

Good call on the lead actor. Liked dude ever since House of Cards.

But unless Cary Fukunaga feels like coming back and directing the whole thing, I'm skeptical.

Robot Pants

I have very little faith in HBO these days outside of Larry david stuff.

They shouldn't even bother with a season 3 in my opinion.

NYR

Nic Pizzolatto is vastly overrated, season 2 proved what he can bring to the table.

I truly believe the greatness of season 1 was based on a stellar cast and Cary Fukunaga directing. Both were missing in season 2 and it showed.

Robot Pants

Dude had less than a year to write 10 hours worth of TV for S2 by himself. Of course it came across as a messy, rushed pos. He wrote S1 over the course of EIGHT years.
Season 1 wasn't as great as some make it seem.
I was in love with the show during its run. It set up this great mystery for the first 6 episodes, only to have it all come crashing down for the last two.
A lot of the stuff they set up went absolutely nowhere and at the end, it left me feeling sour. Once I heard season 2 was announced I was extremely skeptical because of how season 1 ended, and by god I was right. Season 2 was the worst season of television I've ever seen.

NYR

If he needs 8 years to make a decent season, he shouldn't be a TV writer.

I don't care if they throw the best actors in the world at it, I'm not gonna watch it until the season's aired completely and the reviews for the whole thing have come in.

Season 2 was T-R-A-S-H.

Imm0rt4l

Ali is dope, hoping that pizzaman can redeem himself. Season 1 was top tier, I also dug his novel Galveston. I don't expect season 1 greatness, especially without fukunaga, but I'm hoping for something solid. Season 2 was ass

Dadasch

Holy Shit...

That's a dream come true. I absolutely adore Mahershala Ali and True Detective S1 is my most beloved Season of any TV Series.

I would love Idris Elba on his side, but I'm ok with Kenau though.

Dadasch

Don't agree.
Hearing who was part of the cast I almost instantly knew S2 will be nothing like S1 quality-wise. Vince Vaughn is just a bad actor and having HIM as the antagonist was the point where I went "no thanks".

McConaughey alone is more worthwile than the whole cast of S2. Harrelson and Monaghan are great too.

shoelacer

Banned
Don't agree.
Hearing who was part of the cast I almost instantly knew S2 will be nothing like S1 quality-wise. Vince Vaughn is just a bad actor and having HIM as the antagonist was the point where I went "no thanks".

McConaughey alone is more worthwile than the whole cast of S2. Harrelson and Monaghan are great too.

For real. People seem to forget how ppl shit their pants when they heard Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn were the leads in s2, and justifiably so given the amount of dogshit they've been involved in.

Esiquio

Every time I see this guy, I think of The 4400, a show that my ex and I watched religiously. Man, we never got an ending to that show.

Awesome to see him doing so well...though I've never watched True Detective. Hmm, TD or Bosch Season 2?

Every time I see this guy, I think of The 4400, a show that my ex and I watched religiously. Man, we never got an ending to that show.

Awesome to see him doing so well...though I've never watched True Detective. Hmm, TD or Bosch Season 2?

Yes! I loved him in The 4400. If you watch True Detective, just watch Season 1. Skip Season 2. I didn't even bother with it since I don't like Colin Farrell or Vince Vaughn and it turned out to be complete shit, anyway. Season 1 is one of my favorite seasons of television, period.

Season 2 of Bosch is pretty good, although Harry's inability to not fuck everything up (a problem that is very much present in the books, too) is getting annoying.

Apparently confirmed at the TCAs today by HBO.
Yup. Indiewire article:
HBO is moving ahead with “True Detective” Season 3.

HBO programming president Casey Bloys said he’s read “five great scripts” from Nic Pizzolatto and confirmed that Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali will star in the third season. He also said the network is currently talking to directors in the hope of finding a partner for the project.

“All I’ll tell you is I’m very, very impressed and excited about what I’ve read,” Bloys said during his presentation at the Television Critics Association press tour. “I don’t want to give away the storyline, but I think they’re terrific.”

Ali’s casting was first reported earlier this month, but his deal had not yet been finalized. It has now, and HBO is pressing forward with Season 3.

Bloys did not provide a timeline for when production would start or, of course, when the third season might debut.

The first season of “True Detective,” starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, was directed entirely by Cary Fukunaga. Season 2 was directed by multiple people, including Justin Lin, Janus Metz, John Crowley, and Miguel Sapochnik.

Back in March, reports surfaced that David Milch was writing episodes alongside Pizzolatto. At the time, only two scripts were reportedly finished, but Bloys did not say whether or not Milch was still involved. He did note that the network would be interested in pursuing the long-rumored “Deadwood” movie from Milch, assuming the financing made sense and the cast returned.

“True Detective” Season 2 ended in August 2015, nearly two years ago. With Season 3 still a long way off, there will be a significant break between the poorly received second season and what Pizzolatto cooks up for Season 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom