• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mahershala Ali to star in 'True Detective' season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh. "The series" is batting .500.

There were accusations of plagiarism surrounding season 1, and then when Pizzolato tried to write something completely original, it was shit.

Unless Pizzolato is not having anything to do with the show, I can't see it being much, if at all, better than series 2.

A completely original series of TD is batting at 0.000

edit: another huge loss was Cary Fukujima (however you spell it) as director. His direction was light years ahead of anything in Series 2.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I mean it literally can't be worse than Season 2.....

can it?

giphy.gif

Mahershala Ali is the truth.

First time I saw him on that Law & Order episode, he played one of the most depraved, sadistic bastards to ever villainize the show and I knew right there he was star material.

Phased

I think we all knew Season 2 was gonna be a dumpster fire the minute Vince Vaughn got cast.

Like.....what?

To be fair I didn't expect much from Woody either, and even though my opinion of McConaughey I already had a good opinion of but he blew it out of the water, it was at least a little bit reasonable to assume maybe they were able to get a good performance out of Vaughn...nope.

This shit is becoming a waste of time for talented people now

Triple Frontier sounds dope tho. Chandor, Affleck brothers and ali. I hope it happens

I think we all knew Season 2 was gonna be a dumpster fire the minute Vince Vaughn got cast.

Like.....what?

Vince Vaughn is dope these days. So no.

Too much hate on Pizzalato. Dude wrote an amazing S1 and suddenly it must have been a fluke.

Dude had less than a year to write 10 hours worth of TV for S2 by himself. Of course it came across as a messy, rushed pos. He wrote S1 over the course of EIGHT years.

Fjordson

That would be great.

Too much hate on Pizzalato. Dude wrote an amazing S1 and suddenly it must have been a fluke.

Dude had less than a year to write 10 hours worth of TV for S2 by himself. Of course it came across as a messy, rushed pos. He wrote S1 over the course of EIGHT years.
Agreed. I think there's a chance the show could come back really strong.

g11

As someone who didn't hate S2 nearly as much as the rest of the internet did, I'm severely into this. I haven't seen the movie Ali won an Oscar for, but he was easily the best part of Luke Cage and was fantastic in the first few seasons of House of Cards before that show took a turn for the worse.

EDIT: Apparently he was in Tremé too but I'm having trouble placing him in that...

I'll give it a shot but s2 was awful outside of a few entertaining colin and Vaughn scenes

If he gets plenty of time to write this and doesn't start until he feels it's fully ready that would be nice. Also maybe hire only one or two solid directors for the whole season. Fukunaga was as important as Nic for that first season imo.

Mimosa97

I hope the scripts are better than the turgid, self-serving shit we got in S2. I mean, not even an actor like Mahershala could save stuff like "blue balls in the heart" and "shouldn't a reasonable man infer from Osip's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms, as being connected not just to Caspere, but prefiguring Caspere, in a causal sense?"

I remember the blue balls but not the second one. Holy shit this can't be real.

Onemic

I hope the scripts are better than the turgid, self-serving shit we got in S2. I mean, not even an actor like Mahershala could save stuff like "blue balls in the heart" and "shouldn't a reasonable man infer from Osip's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms, as being connected not just to Caspere, but prefiguring Caspere, in a causal sense?"

Is there a link to that second quote?

No. Dude has never been a lead of major Hollywood feature film.

I hope he gets there though, because I know he desires to be a lead actor.

Idris Elba should've been the new Denzel, and this year finally seems to be Idris's year; i hope all goes well.
getting lead roles while black is virtually impossible these days. so many people in supporting role hell who shouldn't be.

HBO has a tradition of casting big names in True Detective, including Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in Season 1, and Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch in Season 2.

That Vince Vaughn snub is hilarious.

This.

I don't know how long it's been since season 2 aired but I'm sure between the already long hiatus and however long it'll take to get the new season up and running pizza man has had time to craft something worth watching. It always seemed to me like season 2 suffered from being rushed to air.

Whether or not you buy into the season 1 plagiarism stuff it's clear even in the dumpster fire that is 2 that pizza has some legit talent as a writer. I'm pumped for a new season fuck the haters

Azzanadra

As someone with a Rusten Cohle avatar...

Don't touch this series my man Ali, Pizzaman is a trash writer and will just embarrass you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom