• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mahershala Ali to star in 'True Detective' season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

One of the former show runners for Quarry (he also wrote for Rectify) is working on scripts for season 3.

Hopefully this is true, Quarry was utterly amazing (RIP) and by all accounts Rectify is amazing too.

Great choice in main actor, curious to see where S3 ends up.

I believe he's the first devout Muslim Oscar award winner. Quite an achievement with all the Islamaphobia and racism swirling around these days.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
For real. People seem to forget how ppl shit their pants when they heard Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn were the leads in s2, and justifiably so given the amount of dogshit they've been involved in.
Yeah, I can hardly take either of them seriously and I didn't like it when they were cast. It was still surprising to hear how bad season 2 turned out to be though.

jaekeem

I hope this is good.

HBO should know that after S2 they only have one more shot in keeping people interested in TD.

proto

I hope the scripts are better than the turgid, self-serving shit we got in S2.

I was ready to disagree with you. Season 2 was bad, but not horrible. Then I read this.

I mean, not even an actor like Mahershala could save stuff like "blue balls in the heart" and "shouldn't a reasonable man infer from Osip's arrival and departure and fucking failure to make good on our terms, as being connected not just to Caspere, but prefiguring Caspere, in a causal sense?"

Then I realized I was wrong. Holy shit I forgot how terrible the dialogue was in season 2. I'll still defend Colin Farrel, he was the rough diamond embedded in the sloppy turd of season 2. But yeah, Season 2 is poo.

Solo

The greatness of S1 trumps the awfulness of S2, and Pizzaman has been given adequate time this time, and one David Milch.

Fuck yes I am in.

MrBS

I'm hoping for prequel series about Stan.

Also as for HBO execs praising the scripts for S3 I remember the quotes that S2 finale was supposed to be amazing and we know how that turned out. Well to be fair it was a kind of amazing.

Too much hate on Pizzalato. Dude wrote an amazing S1 and suddenly it must have been a fluke.

Dude had less than a year to write 10 hours worth of TV for S2 by himself. Of course it came across as a messy, rushed pos. He wrote S1 over the course of EIGHT years.

This right here.

Yet people think that shit just comes easy.

Chemo

This right here.

Yet people think that shit just comes easy.
He was pretty up front about not being able to make a good season in a year before season two was even announced, too. It took him a long time to make the first season, he's just one of those people that needs to be out of the yearly TV season grind and be allowed to take all the time he needs. I've got faith in season 3.

For real. People seem to forget how ppl shit their pants when they heard Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn were the leads in s2, and justifiably so given the amount of dogshit they've been involved in.
You're mistaken if you think Colin Farrell is in just as many dogshit movies as Vaughn. Farrell actually has a decent career including stuff like Tigerland, Minority Report, In Bruges, 7 Psychopaths and more recently that lobster movie and Beguiled. He's also a decent actor to boot. I did not have qualms about Farrell's casting, but more about the premise of S2 and Vaughn's casting was fuck outta nowhere. I'm all for "inspired" casting but some things are just too over the top.

People also forget that Season 2 came out like a year after Season 1.

Pizzolatto probably worked for ages writing and revising Season 1 before pitching it to HBO, no way was he going to create something just as good in only a year. He's had a few years since then to craft something better, so I'm fine with giving the series another shot.

People also forget that Season 2 came out like a year after Season 1.

Pizzolatto probably worked for ages writing and revising Season 1 before pitching it to HBO, no way was he going to create something just as good in only a year. He's had a few years since then to craft something better, so I'm fine with giving the series another shot.

Has anyone read his short fiction?

I'm amazed Season 1 is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom