• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MakingStarWars leaks Star Wars Battlefront info (possible spoilers) [Updated]

so two things:

1.why is DICE glossing over the Clone War Era when the battles were epic and had fantastic locations? the prequel hate is so ridiculous.

2.has the leaker bothered to confirm third person in multiplayer? seems strange to not know whether the game is fps, tps, or both.

Smash88

Banned
Agressive DLC??

FE_DA_120823ObamaSweat425x283.jpg

x8RO1yQ.gif

5taquitos

1.why is DICE glossing over the Clone War Era when the battles were epic and had fantastic locations? the prequel hate is so ridiculous.

The Original Trilogy is much more relevant to TFA than the Prequel Trilogy is. That said, more Clone Wars stuff is never a bad thing in my book.

The Original Trilogy is much more relevant to TFA than the Prequel Trilogy is. That said, more Clone Wars stuff is never a bad thing in my book.
The Clone Wars Era is really great not just in terms of locations but the variety of unique vehicle classes and character classes as well.

To be fair, the article does claim that era exists in the game, but is glossed over in the campaign. So what if there's only say 2 or 3 levels in the campaign set in this era, the fact it exists means they'd have to develop the assets for it, and if so might as well add it to all the OT maps as an option for multiplayer like the other Battlefronts.

Haha, it just occurred to me that if they use Battlefield-style presentation we'll get a bunch of 80's beards & hair for players' appearance. Awesome.

I fully expect EP7 to retcon the classic trilogy's appearance somehow.

Sharpeye

That plus you know there is going to be a clone wars DLC to appease the fans of that era. Still hoping for an Umbara map with some Darth Maul and his brother thrown in.

Cardon

Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that this will be first-person view only? I'm one of the weird folks that actually played the original Battlefront games in 3rd person view, so I wouldn't mind keeping that tradition alive if possible.

Order

Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that this will be first-person view only? I'm one of the weird folks that actually played the original Battlefront games in 3rd person view, so I wouldn't mind keeping that tradition alive if possible.
I thought everyone played in third person

Cardon

I thought everyone played in third person

I did too for a while, but I recall seeing some comments from core Battlefront fans, on other sites mind you, that played the game almost exclusively in first-person view. Thought I was the odd-man out given my 3rd person stance, but I'm glad to see others here played the game that way too.

Hoping the new Battlefront offers a 3rd person perspective just to make it feel slightly "authentic" to the legacy of the series.

FRV

I don't like when developers waste time with special singleplayer in these kinds of game.

However Star wars unviserse is certainly more interesting than battlefield, so it might be good.

JDHarbs

From what I learned from years of being deeply embedded in the SWBF2 community is that consoles players almost all played in third person while PC players almost all played in first.
Basically, they just stuck with the default settings...at least in SWBF1. SWBF2 might've been TPP default across all platforms. I'll have to double check.

a916

Yet these games aspire to be arena-shooters or the like, well, COD does anyway. Battlefield has always been different, more slower, though i think Battlefront 2 was faster (been a long time since i played it). Yet those games can have their "slow" pace WITHOUT shit that artificially slows down the game, while reducing the skill required.
Halos were traditionally slow compared to some others, yet they could manage that while having fast combat, without all the crap modern shooters have.

What does ADS add to a game? As far as i have been able to determine, nothing substantial, only an illusion of skill.
It helps aiming a lot (even though you're aiming already), especially when combined with slowed movement speed (sprint is another feature that necessitates slow movement as it would be worthless otherwise). And because battles are now immobile, weapons have to be powerful so that the game doesn't feel like shooting a bullet sponge. And then it is about who shot first, and that doesn't require skill, just luck.

Run and gun games nearly always require more skill, and are better for it.

There is a dichotomy of having to stop and aim to shoot while your opponent can do the same or not. If you're opponent has a sniper, you're better off moving to get him to move and such. If someone has a shotgun and doesn't have to rely on ADS, you have to engage them from furhter out because close quarters, you're hip firing would be trumped by the hip fire of a shotgun.I strongly disagree with you in that ADS adds nothing at all. There's a trade off between aiming down the sights/movement and not ADS but a penalty to your accuracy. I for one really enjoy it.

That is to say, run and gun do not requre more skill, just a different skill and that's a better hand eye coordination.

tumblr_lvg7sxz70N1qdku5lo1_500.gif

Waiting on a few things first (any LE/CE, if Best Buy will give $10 back, etc.) but this game was made to be preordered. Hell, the original Battlefront was my first GameStop preorder ever.

I should hope after the debacle that was the BF4 launch (hell after a good majority of AAA launches over the last year and a half) that people would know better, but that's your prerogative I suppose.

RSB

Banned
Man, fuck ADS... Why did that cancer spread everywhere. Thanks CoD. As a long time CS player, it's the worst thing that ever happened.
Agreed. ADS is the worst thing to ever happen to the FPS genre. And sadly, pretty much every shooter has it now (on consoles, at least) Even Halo has that shit now, ugh...

geordiemp

I really hope this is its own game and not a BF4 with Star Wars skins and laser guns.

I want to be a Jedi, not a player in a 64 player TDM that plays like BF4.

Javaman

I'm cautiously hyped right now. I love me some battlefield. Dumb bots were one of the best things about the early games and Battlefield 1942. Blowing through waves of them in single player and coop kept the games going even when the online communities died. If they screw up the single player by ditching bots or butcher the MP by splitting the haves and have nots though I'll have to sadly give it a pass.

I believe they were quoted as "It's first person, with third person elements" or something to that effect.

Also, don't forget Star Wars celebration which happens mid April this year. If we don't see something extensive at GDC, we'll most definitely see something significant at Star Wars Celebration (in addition to whatever we may see at GDC)

JDHarbs

Also, don't forget Star Wars celebration which happens mid April this year. If we don't see something extensive at GDC, we'll most definitely see something significant at Star Wars Celebration (in addition to whatever we may see at GDC)
I'm expecting we'll see a steady stream of reveals after the initial one in the Spring.

meanspartan

Great to hear that the focus of the vanilla content will be the original trilogy. I was afraid they would cash in entirely on the new movies, or the most recent trilogy.

Sounds like Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, but I'm fine with that, because that's what the original Battlefront games felt like anyways.

Makes sense. They started making this game too early to make it coincide too much with fresh canon.

Wait...this has a single player campaign ala Battlefield 4? rad news if true. I kind of expected them to just pull the multiplayer with bots as single player thing.

What does this mean for the Visceral games star wars game? Are they resurrecting 1313, doing a horror themed Star Wars game...Forced Unleashed 3 using experience from Dante's Inferno, or perhaps even...just doing a sequel to this game so Dice can focus on Battlefield proper?

I'm worried about the map count. BF3/4 launched with 9/10 maps respectively. The list has 6/8 maps listed.

Depending on Tatooine counting for each era this might be a near complete list.

I really doubt that is the final map count. I'd hope they'd include reimaginings of iconic maps like Death Star, Kashyyyk, Kamino, Bespin etc. I really really hope that one of the Tatooine maps is a direct remake of Mos Eisley. That was a classic.

I feel we are unlikely to see anything until Hardline has been out for at least a few weeks if not longer.

i bet we get nothing until e3. EA will want to push Hardline as much as they can. there's only three months in between Battlefield: Hardline's release date and e3 2015, considering publishers make most of there money on games in the first 8 weeks, seems unlikely we'll get any Battlefront news from EA or DICE until e3.

prag16

Banned
You guys think Hardline will have that huge an impact on when they choose to show anything (especially if it's not prior to Hardline launch)? It doesn't really seem to me that the two games would have SUPER massive overlap (not to the level of CoD/Destiny or DragonAge/MassEffect for instance). Though I could be way off base.

You guys think Hardline will have that huge an impact on when they choose to show anything (especially if it's not prior to Hardline launch)? It doesn't really seem to me that the two games would have SUPER massive overlap (not to the level of CoD/Destiny or DragonAge/MassEffect for instance). Though I could be way off base.

i dont think Hardline has a lot of overlap, although anecdotally im buying Hardline and plan on getting Battlefront. but really i think EA just wants the most return on investment when it comes o Hardline, so i doubt theyll be in a rush to show anything of Battlefront.

I really doubt that is the final map count. I'd hope they'd include reimaginings of iconic maps like Death Star, Kashyyyk, Kamino, Bespin etc. I really really hope that one of the Tatooine maps is a direct remake of Mos Eisley. That was a classic.

I doubt we see that many maps. Something has to give, for it to have double the amount of content BF3/4 had.

SFenton

I should hope after the debacle that was the BF4 launch (hell after a good majority of AAA launches over the last year and a half) that people would know better, but that's your prerogative I suppose.

Personally, I think they've learned the hard way, and Battlefield 4 has evolved into one of the best multiplayer games this generation, so I have no issue throwing down for Battlefront- once I get more information, of course.

a916

Yea good point, I keep forgetting that GDC is right around the corner

GDC was the first time they showed off BF4 as well, so it would definitely play into what they've done before.

If I remember correctly they dropped a teaser out of no where saying a full 18 minute playthrough would drop the next day (or something along those lines) with BF4.

GDC was the first time they showed off BF4 as well, so it would definitely play into what they've done before.

If I remember correctly they dropped a teaser out of no where saying a full 18 minute playthrough would drop the next day (or something along those lines) with BF4.

BF3 was also first seen at GDC.

Top Bottom