• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect Andromeda is about Colonialism

I expect nothing but the utmost subtlety and quality from Bioware in approaching this subject matter. After all, the allegories to racism in DA2 with blood mages were so well done.

Nottle

...they're refugees.

Iirc the armor design in Andromeda is based on what people could realistically actually wear.
54313B860.jpg

I'll always be a fan of me1. It's sort of retro, reminds me of a space suit you'd see in the movie 2001, but a military grade. It's simple, sleek and the only problem is that they came in ugly colors and patterns.
Also why is the armor so padded if they are using personal force fields as shields. I wish the series would go back to its more Sci fi roots where things existed because of a watsonian purpose.

Taker34

Banned
I don't know, the more I read and see about Andromeda the less I like it. Mass Effect had this unique, yet familiar retro space exploration design which now became a more random Sci-Fi/Crysis style.
Add that to the disappointment of not being able to explore our own Galaxy which again, would be a much more interesting setting. Why should I care about the existing Milky Way alien races again? Why did BioWare even bother creating a deep and believable lore when they distance themselves from everything which made Mass Effect what it was? The "in a galaxy far far away" thing may work for some franchises but ultimately destroys the appeal of the original trilogy, imo.

Maybe I'm just judging a book by its cover, but this game could as well be its own IP. Maybe Andromeda should be considered to be a spin-off, after all?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Given their recent track record, I have no faith in Bioware being able to tackle a topic like this with anything approaching the finesse required.

Then again, given the amount of people responding positively to this image, it might not even matter if they did do a good job, as any even halfway subtle reproach of colonialism will probably be lost on the wider audience.

I think what's fun about that image is that it tries to actually give the guy a personality beyond being a bumbling fool looking for gold and riches.

I mean, he's still there to extract resources from the world, but he has a well defined vision for why he views himself as superior, credits his opponent as a threat that could drive him off, and goes on to detail why he feels he still wins in the end regardless.

You get the sense of a character who spent a lot of time thinking through the situation and trying to put his point out there in an articulate yet brutal fashion. He's clearly the villain, and you're not supposed to agree with him, but he doesn't feel like a cardboard cutout the same way that someone who threw out two sentences about "These foolish natives are in the way of my gold, off with them!" would.

A lot of the best villains are those where you get the sense of an intelligent person who has a well formed, clear perspective that explains why they believe the things they do instead of mustache twirling villains who are evil for the sake of being evil, or people suffering from overwhelming ignorance that's solved by sitting down in a five minute conversation that never takes place until the person is dying on the floor.

If we go back far enough in time, these types of stories always portrayed the native inhabitants are mindless savage monsters, and these days, the opposite tends to be true. If BioWare actually did try something with more depth to each side, even if it's clear the overall idea is that you're very much in the wrong, it would be a lot more interesting than what we normally get out of them. Having a game where you're in the boots of the colonialist and doing a whole lot of things you know are wrong because you feel you're serving some greater purpose would be an interesting way to try and tackle that.

That said, I expect the game to be absolutely nothing like that. I'm expecting that you will be fighting evil monster people who have a deathgrip on the Andromeda galaxy and liberating a bunch of downtrodden races from their rule while building a home for yourself in the process.

diaspora

54313B860.jpg

I'll always be a fan of me1. It's sort of retro, reminds me of a space suit you'd see in the movie 2001, but a military grade. It's simple, sleek and the only problem is that they came in ugly colors and patterns.
Also why is the armor so padded if they are using personal force fields as shields. I wish the series would go back to its more Sci fi roots where things existed because of a watsonian purpose.
It's inspired by utility of movement. ME1's armor is inherently nonsensical.

Ralemont

not me
In a game about choices, I'm surprised they're still going the full cartoony evil vs full cartoony good route.

Unless you're an old British imperialist and think colonialism is still good.

Pretty reductionist assessment. Considering the majority of Andromeda is unlikely to be colonized at all (like the Milky Way) I highly doubt every situation is going to come down to asserting dominance over an already established species. Some situations will be presented in that vein, as it should be, but consider that the PC is a Pathfinder. There's going to be many many uncharted worlds to check out.

diaspora

Pretty reductionist assessment. Considering the majority of Andromeda is unlikely to be colonized at all (like the Milky Way) I highly doubt every situation is going to come down to asserting dominance over an already established species. Some situations will be presented in that vein, as it should be, but consider that the PC is a Pathfinder. There's going to be many many uncharted worlds to check out.
Yeah, for all we know it could be about Milky Way refugees arriving in Donald Trump's Andromeda.

You can see the basic design of the default Shepard armour incorporated into the Andromeda suit. I actually really like it because of the whole spacesuit thing underneath.

I just want a Space Opera again, not 2 which was all about one black ops mission or 3 which was a war movie.

Can I get that? Can I just get that.

_woLf

It still really saddens me that such a fantastically built universe will never be and to be experienced from any other perspective than "always the center of the universe" humans.

As long as there's new space bros and space chicks to hang out with, I'll be fine with the proposed plot.

Totally. I'm still not 100% sold on the premise, but as long as the character stuff is at top BioWare I'll be happy. The aimlessness of ME2's main plot never bothered me because the ancillary stuff was so compelling.

"Colonialism" implies a power imbalance that I don't think exists in Andromeda, based on the given description. The indigenous races sound like much larger threats, and the Andromeda project has no place to return to or use as a home base. This is not "let's mow down entire batallions of indigenous soldiers/fighters with Maxim guns."

It would actually be a lot more interesting to present that scenario to the player and ask them to consider the right ethical approach. The scenario painted in the survey, on the other hand, is very much "well fuck they're already shooting at us I guess we gotta shoot back." Not a lot of nuance in that scenario.

Actually, thinking about it a little more... wouldn't the theme of this game be about refugees, not colonialism, per se? Because while the Milky Way folks are setting up colonies, they're only doing that because their galaxy's getting wrecked by the Reapers. The only difference between the Ark folks and say, Syrian refugees, is that the Ark people ran as far away as possible, into a place they knew nothing about and probably has empty planets no one cares about, while Syrians know where they're going and are flooding into populated areas.

Lime

It would actually be a lot more interesting to present that scenario to the player and ask them to consider the right ethical approach. The scenario painted in the survey, on the other hand, is very much "well fuck they're already shooting at us I guess we gotta shoot back." Not a lot of nuance in that scenario.

Which seems to be the conventional justification for mowing down people in video games: "they shoot back, therefore it's okay to kill (hundreds of) them" - see Uncharted, Tomb Raider, etc.

diaspora

Actually, thinking about it a little more... wouldn't the theme of this game be about refugees, not colonialism, per se? Because while the Milky Way folks are setting up colonies, they're only doing that because their galaxy's getting wrecked by the Reapers. The only difference between the Ark folks and say, Syrian refugees, is that the Ark people ran as far away as possible, into a place they knew nothing about and probably has empty planets no one cares about, while Syrians know where they're going and are flooding into populated areas.
Yes, it's just the way it's worded.

Lime

One more thing about the armor design: Why does it have a large glass canopy running across the top of the head? What functionality does that serve? I assume PathShepard can't look up above her/his head?

Bioware has a poor track record with handling tough topics in interesting ways but I really, really like the sound of a space colonialism game.

Granted, coming from the company that made a game called Inquisition where literally nothing about what makes inquisitions historically messed up in it, I can see why people are skeptical. But I love this idea on paper.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Chuckled at the fact that it's explicitly referred to as a third person shooter right there in their description. RPG? What's an RPG?

People like to tell themselves otherwise, but Mass Effect has always been more of a third person shooter filled with customizations and RPG-lite elements. You can't compare the games to the likes of Final Fantasy or Witcher.

Ralemont

not me
Ragging on them for not explicitly saying RPG while highlighting player choice, customization, and deep progression systems in the same survey feels like selective reading.

domlolz

Banned
Wow! can't wait to see how the great writers at bioware handle such a complicated and controversial subject as colonialism!

Toxi

Banned
The Quaritch image is exactly the same sort of rhetoric European colonization used to justify murder and enslavement.

It would have been great in the movie as characterization, but if you actually agree with what it's saying you need your head checked.

Toxi

Banned
"Colonialism" implies a power imbalance that I don't think exists in Andromeda, based on the given description. The indigenous races sound like much larger threats, and the Andromeda project has no place to return to or use as a home base. This is not "let's mow down entire batallions of indigenous soldiers/fighters with Maxim guns."

It would actually be a lot more interesting to present that scenario to the player and ask them to consider the right ethical approach.
The scenario painted in the survey, on the other hand, is very much "well fuck they're already shooting at us I guess we gotta shoot back." Not a lot of nuance in that scenario.
Players would complain about it being too exaggerated and black-and-white.

Just look at how people said the racist lynching at the beginning of Bioshock Infinite was over-the-top and unrealistic. There's a lot of denial when it comes to historical atrocities.

Packy

Possibly. It could even have a dash of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 if the bad guys are xenophobic assholes who feel the need to control everything.
Certainly there will be a few villainous humans in the new game, but hopefully BioWare goes out of their way to portray humanity in a more peaceful light. It would be refreshing to see this faction of humans as a species that is just trying to find a new home, and that doesn't want to kill off an indigenous peoples or incite an intergalactic conflict in order to get their way. Maybe there should be a mission that gives humanity the option to mortgage a planet, kind of like how rich people buy islands and whatnot.

Top Bottom